View Full Version : Salchow help

Figureskates
08-12-2003, 02:27 PM
I must be suffering from a case of being really dense, but here goes:

Worked on Salchow during my lesson today. Everything starts out fine, the 3 turn is good. I stay one the BI edge okay and I can start bringing the right leg around, lifting up as I do so. At this point things go heywire. I do something stange to my right shoulder and I seem to over rotate. My coach showed me a half a dozen times and I can see what she does, but somehow it gets lost in the translation when I try it.

Anyone else have or had this problem? Tis a little frustrating. I know I am missing something. Help!!

skaternum
08-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Maybe you could try the mohawk entry instead of the three turn. You may be overrotating a little earlier than you think. (FWIW, I hate the salchow. It's taken me forever to get it decent.)

KathySkates
08-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Do not fear good buddy! No worries! I have learned some great salchow tips from my coaches. I will see you on the 32 rink on Sunday night!

Figureskates
08-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Kathleen, I would be oh so grateful!! I want to get this and the toeloop under my belt.

See you Sunday!!

We are actually arriving Friday.

CanAmSk8ter
08-12-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm really lousy at diagnosing problems from verbal descriptions, but I'll be interested in taking a look at it next week. I assume you'll be going to the salchow class?

TashaKat
08-13-2003, 02:28 AM
I don't know how helpful this will be but here's a 'tip' one of my coaches gave me about using the arms on ANY jump:

(For CCW):

Keep your left arm in front on the take off, right arm to the side

As you go to jump keep the left arm in front, and think of ROLLING the right arm in with the body as though you were rolling yourself into a curtain.

All the left arm does is come in to cross over the right arm.

If you can visualise this and put it into practise it helps to stablise your position and, at least, stops you throwing your jumps off balance by having your arms wrong.

x

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Figureskates
Worked on Salchow during my lesson today. Everything starts out fine, the 3 turn is good. I stay one the BI edge okay and I can start bringing the right leg around, lifting up as I do so. At this point things go heywire. I do something stange to my right shoulder and I seem to over rotate. My coach showed me a half a dozen times and I can see what she does, but somehow it gets lost in the translation when I try it.

Anyone else have or had this problem? Tis a little frustrating. I know I am missing something. Help!! Do you mean you go round and round and finally do a tidy little hop backwards? That's what happens to me when I try. I did have one night when I could do the Salchow properly, but not before or since. I seldom jump at all now, so haven't worked on it for years, but whenever I do try it's round and round and hop backwards!

sk8pics
08-13-2003, 07:26 AM
Welllll.... not that my salchow is the greatest, but it has improved tremendously lately. I used to have problems such as Mrs. Redboots described. You really have to keep your weight over your skating foot, and then bring your free side through, arm and leg together. It sounds from your description as though you are throwing your free arm, so to speak, around, instead of through, down the ice.

Does that make any sense?

Pat

Figureskates
08-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by sk8pics
Welllll.... not that my salchow is the greatest, but it has improved tremendously lately. I used to have problems such as Mrs. Redboots described. You really have to keep your weight over your skating foot, and then bring your free side through, arm and leg together. It sounds from your description as though you are throwing your free arm, so to speak, around, instead of through, down the ice.

Does that make any sense?

Pat

That pretty much describes perfectly.

KathySkates
08-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Figureskates! Salchow? Toeloop? You will have a sal/toe combo in a week's time! : ))))
Have you picked out your music for the show yet?

flippet
08-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by sk8pics
It sounds from your description as though you are throwing your free arm, so to speak, around, instead of through, down the ice.

You're probably a bit early with pulling the arms in, especially if you're concentrating so hard on trying to keep the blade held on the back edge longer. (Your brain still wants to rush it, so it's sending your arm on ahead!) In addition to holding the back edge longer, keep that free arm pushed back enough so that you feel a /slight/ tug in the muscles in the front of the shoulder. (It's kind of a shoulder move more than an arm move, and it's just a muscular reminder that you can feel, to keep that arm back.) Make sure that when you bring the leg through, that the arm comes with it--don't let either one get ahead of the other, they have to go together. When they do go, remember the 'roll' thing Lynne described above.

Confused yet? :D Good luck, and have fun at the camp! (I'm so jealous!)

Figureskates
08-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Flippet:

That is probably one of my biggest faults, rushing things. My coach is forever trying to slow me down. Your description sounds like what is going through my mind since one of the things we have been working on is holding the back inside edge before proceeding with the jump.

I sure have a lot to work on next week. I am going to print this thread out as a ready reference.

Thanx.

johns
08-15-2003, 03:21 PM
I had that problem for a while. Coach was no help
at all. Lady skater on rssir said look back and
keep the Rshoulder held back behind me until I
was ready to jump. Sal is pretty good now, and
I have even landed a 2-footed 2sal. Here's what
I do. As I do the 3 and check, I look back at my
Right arm to help hold the check. I also sit
fairly deep and let the glide go a bit as my
Right leg goes to the right side and lifts up
a bit ( very important ). I then bring the right
arm ( release the check ) and Right KNEE across
my chest up to my left shoulder .. while at the
same time, jumping strongly up off the left
skate. I make no effort whatsoever to turn on
LBI ... that takes care of itself, and I think
should even be minimized. You need for that LBI
edge to dig in more or less on a spot quickly
... not just dig in as it turns. So quickness
is important, and driving up is essential ..
so the knee drive is very good. What you are
doing is turning too slow and trying to waltz
the jump. That is no good. You will have no
block of the edge, and the jump will be very low.
You almost want to jump forward with a good
knee drive up to the shoulder, but coming from
your right side .. not behind or in front.

johns