View Full Version : Anyone have the new Risport boots?

CanAmSk8ter
03-31-2003, 04:34 PM
The Risport booth at Worlds had their current catalog and it looks like they've changed a lot. I guess I have three main questions:

1. Do they still make Super Diamante, which is what I have now, and if not, what is the closest thing to it that they are making?

2. Does anyone have the RF2 dance boots?

3. If yes, do you like them?

I'm ready for new boots; my Super Diamantes are about 18 months old and are getting to the point where to get decent support I have to tie them really tight, but then I can't bend my knees. I'm 5'1", 115 lbs, and working on my Silver and Pre-Gold dances- are the RF2D's going to be too heavy for me? They felt heavy when I held them, but I know that can be deceiving. I like the idea of a dance boot, but at the same time I've done great with my last two pairs of boots, both of which were Super Diamante, so I'm not sure whether it's worth trying something new.

dalsvet
03-31-2003, 05:47 PM
I have the new RF1 boots (desperately trying to break them in!), which are the equivalent of old Super Qasars. My old pair were Super Diamonts, which I believe are now RF2s. The RF1s feel lighter than the diamonts, but the ankle support is much stronger.

Aussie Willy
04-01-2003, 05:18 AM
I have RF2 - the super model (equilvalent of Super Diamont). They are actually higher around the ankles than the Super Diamont. I have never tied the top hooks so I can get knee bend. Also I have had problems with the instep - even after two years they still cause problems here - I have to take them off after about 10 minutes and put them on again and then they seem to be alright. I think this is a common complaint with the RF2s. I personally preferred the Super Diamonts - took a bit longer to break in but they were a lot more comfortable than my current pair. I am now putting sheep skin insoles in them in the hope that will make them more comfortable (will see how it goes tomorrow night at skating).

Do they make an RF2 dance boot?

Can I make a suggestion about boots for dance. WIFA (in Austria) specifically make a dance boot which has an elasticised back so you can get better toe point. Someone at my rink has them and they are really nice. They also have about six boot widths as opposed to four which Risport have. You might like to check them out.

CanAmSk8ter
04-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
I have RF2 - the super model (equilvalent of Super Diamont). They are actually higher around the ankles than the Super Diamont. I have never tied the top hooks so I can get knee bend. Also I have had problems with the instep - even after two years they still cause problems here - I have to take them off after about 10 minutes and put them on again and then they seem to be alright.

I wonder if the higher ankles are why they started making a dance boot? It definitely sounds like the dance boot is something I should look into. From the catalog I saw, it sounds like the dance boot, RFD, as basically the same as the RF2 but with the lower back, and it only comes in beige. I've only ever had white skates, but I know my coach likes me to wear over-the-boot tights so my legs look a little longer, so he'll probably go for it. I'm only (barely) 5'1, so I need any length I can get, LOL!

Aussie Willy
04-02-2003, 12:34 AM
CanAmSk8ter - I think you might be right. Even though I do ice dancing I would say my boots are not suitable for dance because it is very difficult to get good leg extension. What is the link to the website so I can have a looksee?

TashaKat
04-03-2003, 01:31 AM
I'm not going to comment on Risports because I don't like them but have used Wifa's which are pretty widely used in Dance. I had the Super Goldstar's which were great for dance and the Diamonds which wrecked my anklebone but weren't strong enough for Free! What you COULD do is get the 'normal' boots and get them cut down at the back. A lot of dancers do that to get the right amount of 'cutout' for themselves :)

If you want to spend a bit more Harlick (www.harlick.com) do 'dance' options which look nice but I haven't tried them yet!

Good luck

L x

jenlyon60
04-03-2003, 05:44 AM
I've known a couple people who bought stock boots and took them to a shoe repair place and had the top 1/2" or more cut off the boots for dance.

I ordered my last 2 pairs of Klingbeils cut shorter about 1/2 to 3/4". Skipped the dance scallop, though...and haven't missed it yet.