View Full Version : Graf vs Jacksons

IcedT
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I urgently need to order new boots (I mainly skate synchro at senior level) and have had Jackson Synchro boots for last 6 years I think.
The latest pair lasted me about a year before breaking down too much and so I've skated another year or so and struggled without much support.
Now looking at these 4 options:

Jackson Synchro
Jackson Dance
Graf Edmonton
Graf Dance

Does anyone have any experience with any of these or comparative reviews? And does anyone perhaps know the different weights of the boots?

Many thanks

fsk8r
08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I urgently need to order new boots (I mainly skate synchro at senior level) and have had Jackson Synchro boots for last 6 years I think.
The latest pair lasted me about a year before breaking down too much and so I've skated another year or so and struggled without much support.
Now looking at these 4 options:

Jackson Synchro
Jackson Dance
Graf Edmonton
Graf Dance

Does anyone have any experience with any of these or comparative reviews? And does anyone perhaps know the different weights of the boots?

Many thanks

My sister has had Graf Dance and they've broken down in a couple of years (we're adult skaters) where as I got Jackson synchro (for dance) and feel I've only just broken them in after a year. She possibly skates slightly more dance than me, but still, her free boots have lasted the same time as mine.
I'm just switching to Graf Edmonton. I'm having an easier time breaking them in than the Jackson synchro boots but have noticed they've got a lower heel which has affected my spins. I'm a bit cautious when breaking boots in, so am surprised how easy I'm finding the Edmontons. But I'd heard that about Graf boots, but I'm not sure on the toughness once they're broken in.

I can't comment on the Jackson Dance as I didn't get to try them (bought the synchro boots as they had the low backs I was looking for in dance boots, and the skate shop would do them cheaper) and everything has to be ordered in.

I should be able to compare the weights of the Jackson Synchro and the Graf Edmonton's when I get home, but I'm thinking the Edmontons are lighter than my old Jackson Elite+.

My gut feel, is that it you want a quick break in time Graf dance would be fine for synchro, but you'll probably be wanting to replace them quickly, they're not that tough.

An extra one to put on your list is the Jackson Coaches boots. My sister's swapped into that and is liking it. They're low cut at the back and apparently about as tough as the Elite / Synchro boot. Her favourite bit is the lining for the toes for standing around cold rinks at practice.

Sessy
08-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I had no problem breaking in Graf Edmontons specials even without doing jumps at the time, and they're a very supportive skate. I like them quite a lot. They're not heavy, Risports of similar hardness are much heavier. Can't comment on Jacksons, never skated in them - tried some Classiques on at the shop though, the foot shape seems similar to Graf (and very different from Risport). I also found that my spins and edges improved further in the Grafs, but that may've just been because my old Risports were very broken down, or because the Risports were not a good fit. The Grafs make it quite easy to get a good knee bend and do things like sit spins, hydroblades, etc. Don't have anything negative to say about the boots with the exception that they seem to lose their white color over time, turning a dirty yellowish kind of color everywhere where they were exposed to light (and retain the white color where they weren't). Also, the price REALLY stings on these.

IcedT
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
thanks for you prompt replies.
fsk8r: how different is the normal back of the graf edmonton compared to the low back of the jackson synchro? i'm so used to the low back that i'm worried a different height will cause pain.

the coaches boot was also an option, but one of our coaches here has them and says there's not enough support for synchro, although would be nice whilst i coach to keep my feet warm (not a problem when i'm skating synchro - then maybe be too hot)

Sessy - i'm a bit concerned that you say the Graf's become yellowish - have heard that happening to risports - maybe it's just how they are stored....mine stay in my open bag most of the time because i'm back and forward to the rink so often - no time to take them out.

fsk8r
08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
thanks for you prompt replies.
fsk8r: how different is the normal back of the graf edmonton compared to the low back of the jackson synchro? i'm so used to the low back that i'm worried a different height will cause pain.

the coaches boot was also an option, but one of our coaches here has them and says there's not enough support for synchro, although would be nice whilst i coach to keep my feet warm (not a problem when i'm skating synchro - then maybe be too hot)

Sessy - i'm a bit concerned that you say the Graf's become yellowish - have heard that happening to risports - maybe it's just how they are stored....mine stay in my open bag most of the time because i'm back and forward to the rink so often - no time to take them out.

OK, on simple hand weighing test the Grafs are lighter than Jackson synchro and they look narrower (I think that's just the shape of the boot)
In terms of the boot around the ankle, the Grafs are slightly lower at the front than the Jacksons, but there's a clear difference in back height. Jacksons are slightly lower. I don't notice it that much. The Grafs do have some soft padding to help point, but you'll not get as much toe-point as you do in the Jacksons as there's more leather than elasticated back.
Incidentally the Jackson's have a higher heel than the Grafs so I'm not sure how that would affect the appearance of toe-point.

I thought all white boots tend to yellow with age? It's how you spot the new boots at the rink...

Hope that helps. Any more questions and I'll line the boots up again.

Sessy
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Well, it's a cosmetical point and I'm much more concerned with the health of my feet personally, if the yellowness bothered me I could always put on some white shoe polish or something. Also, it's not very visible - I only see it where the part of the tongue that sort of goes under the laces and under the sides of the boot is still white, as well as after peeling off tape (it was whiter underneath) and after smearing some white shoe polish on the scratches (when I bought the polish, it was an ideal match, now it's not). You probably wouldn't notice the discoloration if you didn't know it, especially not from a distance. And I tend to let my skates out of the bag to dry every time, quite often in the window actually. Plus, my Edmontons are 3 years old at this point (although I wasn't skating for nearly 2 of those, injury-related) and most people would have their boots near the end of their life by this point. So well certainly for me it's a minor nitpick thing, I still luv the boots.

Can't comment on toe pointing - pointing's one of the things I need to work a *lot* on. It was easier to point in the Grafs than in the Risports for me, come to think of it, but then the Risports are notoriously tall boots.

aussieskater
08-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I thought all white boots tend to yellow with age? It's how you spot the new boots at the rink...

That, or the scratches, marks, chips and dings! (The black marks on my boots = he kicked me. The white marks on his boots = he was in the wrong place. Isn't that how it goes?)