View Full Version : How long will Gold Medallions last me?

icestalker
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I recently bought a pair of Riedell Gold Medallion (found a pair on eBay for $160, in the box, brand new- amazing, right?)
From what I found, I can use it up to axel, maybe some doubles? My old skates were White Ribbons 112 and they made my whole foot hurt when I started learning scratch spin and higher waltz jumps, so I decided I needed a more advanced boot, the Ribbons were rated for Basic 6 and I'm in Freeskate 2.. my mom told me my beginner skates were fine for me (...right):frus: so I was the one paying for new skates. Therefore, they HAVE to last at least 1 1/2 years so I have enough time to scrape up $500 or so for the next, more advanced, double jump boot. If only my mother spent as much on skating as she does on horses (She can spend eighteen hundred- yes, nearly two thousand- on a horse who is only going to be used as a trail riding horse- yet, she can't spend more than $70 on skates, and tunes me out when I lecture her on how I will break my ankle in skates that don't have enough support.)

Well I'm rambling so I'll get to my point. What level will the Gold Medallions last to? I weigh 110 pounds and skate 2 times, 4 hours per week. I'm about to start doing single jumps and so far have been working on scratch, sit, and back spins. I don't know if I'm a hard or light skater- it's not like I pound landings or anything? But in 1 and a half years I expect to have landed my axel and perhaps be working on double salchow or toe, can the skates support doubles? Very tiny doubles, I can be sure of. 8O

Oh and when should I put Coronation Ace blades on? Freeskate 2-3 skater, should I put them on now or wait till around Freeskate 5-6? I've recently ordered the blades, and have already been skating in the new boots/stock blades for nearly two months, so I've adjusted to the bigger toepick already. And how long will they last for my level? I've read that you should upgrade CorAces when you begin double lutz and double axel??

Thanks in advance, answer all my questions please!

Morgail
05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi there! I'm not much help with that specific pair of boots, but a good rule of thumb is to just pay attention to how your foot feels and to keep on eye on the creases that will form at the ankles of the boots. A small crease is good - it means the skates are broken in and in good shape. After a while, that crease will grow, which means the boots are getting broken down and won't provide as much support. A year and a half may be pushing it if you start jumping more or start skating more often. I'm not sure how old you are, but if your feet are still growing, you may outgrow the skates before they break down. If you think the boot is breaking down, show it to a coach. He/she should be able to tell you when it's time for new boots.

About Coronation Ace blades: I think I first got those blades when I started working on ISI FS 2 or 3 (which is toe loop, salchow, upright spins). They're really good blades for single jumps, and some doubles. Most people I know move up to Pattern 99 or something similar once they've got a double or two.

Purple Sparkly
05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I know skaters that have landed through double lutz and passed Senior Moves on Coronation Ace.

I don't know anything about the Gold Medallion boots, though.

jazzpants
05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
I think you need to get a skating coach to talk to your mom about how you're risking your ankles using boots that clearly does not have enough support.

And I was using Gold Medallion boots for about 2.5 years and working all the way to sals on those boots. When I started working on loops, the boot technician clearly said I needed up upgrade my boots and blade to something more appropriate or risk screwing up my ankles. Initially though I went to a Bronze Star (he suggested Silver Stars but they were CEMENT BLOCKS for me...) I am currently in custom Harlick with orthotics and WOW!!! Fits like snug (but not cement block snug) slippers!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I personally have MK Pros so I can say much about Coronation Aces. One of my skating coaches does recommend them for her beginning FS (as in ISI FS 1 and above) skaters though.

wilmad
05-17-2010, 03:32 PM
My daughter just turned 10 and her pair of Gold Medallions has lasted nearly 2 years with a Coronation Ace blade. Luckily for me, her feet don't grow very quickly!!! She is landing through axel. She is 80 pounds and skates 4 hours a week. We're moving up to a Bronze Star w/Cor Ace now as the skates are finally getting too tight.

I thought those boots were great!

icestalker
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
My daughter just turned 10 and her pair of Gold Medallions has lasted nearly 2 years with a Coronation Ace blade. Luckily for me, her feet don't grow very quickly!!! She is landing through axel. She is 80 pounds and skates 4 hours a week. We're moving up to a Bronze Star w/Cor Ace now as the skates are finally getting too tight.

Were the skates still in good condition when she outgrew? She does weigh less than me, yet, 2 years is a pretty good life. My feet aren't growing anymore.. I don't think so, anyway. 8O
Sounds like I should put CorAces on anytime soon. I think I should probably put them on before I begin single loop, so I won't have to adjust to the landing of a different blade right when I am learning?

wilmad
05-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Were the skates still in good condition when she outgrew? She does weigh less than me, yet, 2 years is a pretty good life. My feet aren't growing anymore.. I don't think so, anyway. 8O
Sounds like I should put CorAces on anytime soon. I think I should probably put them on before I begin single loop, so I won't have to adjust to the landing of a different blade right when I am learning?

The boots are in very good shape with no creases. The Coronation Ace blade has been good with holding sharpenings for quite a while. I got them on ebay for $200 and were new (the daughter gave up skating right after they got them). They were my favorite ebay purchase.

sk8tmum
05-17-2010, 06:37 PM
A couple of things, the first slightly on a tangent - 2 times 4 hours a week seems a bit unbalanced. Why so long?

The Coronation Aces are nice blades. They will do you up to the end of your doubles and into a double axel. What are you using right now? You will still find a transition when you put the Aces on, as they will affect all of your skating if there is a change, regardless of whether or not you are jumping.

Your goals are good, but, remember, they are goals; you may not have your jumps that fast, and you may have some faster. Plus, you've got all of that good skating stuff to master, like edges, turns, and so on.

The most important - and I too am rambling - point is to talk to your coach in terms of equipment and goals. Your coach will be able to point you in the right direction for boots and blades; training time; goals etc. They can also be quite good at intervening with parents who don't "get it" in terms of equipment needs.

LilJen
05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
I agree with those who say to talk to your coach(es). The boots may not hold up through axels, although this does tend to be a very individual thing.

The most important thing, though, is: DO THEY FIT?? And do they fit really well? Because if they do not, that is also risking injury. It would be wise to speak with a knowledgeable boot fitter as well (although this is difficult to do for those of us out in the middle of nowhere).

(BTW, Riedell recently revamped its line. . . the whole "medallion" line has been crunched into one model, all the "stars" are now in one model, if I remember correctly.)

RachelSk8er
05-18-2010, 08:04 AM
The best thing would be to talk to your coach and have him/her look at your boots to make sure they have proper fit and support. Your coach should reccomend that you go stiffer or stick with the same boot as your skating progresses and the boots break in and eventually start to break down and it's time for a new pair. Once you're in a boot that fits properly and is in the right "range" for what you're working on and your height/weight, it comes down to a matter of personal preference. Some people can skate on boots that are not as stiff, or are not as hard on their skates and they can keep them for quite a while, others (myself included) are stiff skate people.

There are kids at my rink working on axels who are in gold medallions, other kids at that level are in 1310 boots.

As for the blades, that's another thing that comes down to preference, but those will get you far. At your level especially, there is no reason to be shelling out for more expensive blades. I have a friend who is testing international level dances on Coronation Ace blades.

icestalker
05-18-2010, 10:02 AM
A couple of things, the first slightly on a tangent - 2 times 4 hours a week seems a bit unbalanced. Why so long?

The Coronation Aces are nice blades. They will do you up to the end of your doubles and into a double axel. What are you using right now?

Well, I have an hour group lesson on Thursday, then half hour lunch break, then two hours of public skating. Then on Saturday I have two half hour group lessons, totalling four hours for the week. It is terribly unbalanced, isn't it?

Club 2000 came with the Medallions, and I've adjusted to them pretty quickly. I don't know what level they are for, but they are obviously a higher level stock blade than the ones on the White Ribbons because the toepick is bigger.

icestalker
05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I agree with those who say to talk to your coach(es). The boots may not hold up through axels, although this does tend to be a very individual thing.

The most important thing, though, is: DO THEY FIT?? And do they fit really well? Because if they do not, that is also risking injury. It would be wise to speak with a knowledgeable boot fitter as well (although this is difficult to do for those of us out in the middle of nowhere).

(BTW, Riedell recently revamped its line. . . the whole "medallion" line has been crunched into one model, all the "stars" are now in one model, if I remember correctly.)

I went down half a size actually when I bought these. They have a wonderful snug, secure fit though they crunched my toes a bit at first, they stretched out as I broke them in. Strange for a stock boot to fit so well.. I must have the perfect Riedell foot :lol: They've been eating away at my ankles due to the huge leap from soft Ribbons to stiff boots, but I've ordered gel things to alleviate that.
They're heat-moldable, though I was very afraid to put them in the oven, what if I passed out and they sat in there for hours..? 8O so I used a hairdryer which worked nicely on select spots.
One of the reasons I specifically chose to buy Medallions is because I could find them on clearance price and save maybe thirty bucks (though I ended up saving over a hundred!) I thought Bronze Star might be pushing the limit on how much stiffness I could take, plus, they were too much money.

I'm gonna be screwed if they don't hold through axels. If that happens.. backup plan.. sell all my worldly possessions, or perhaps have my coach give my mother a serious talking-to about equipment (though that could backfire and cause my mother to decide to stop taking me to lessons, because of the lack of good skates.. that sounds like something she would do.)

icestalker
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
There are kids at my rink working on axels who are in gold medallions, other kids at that level are in 1310 boots.

As for the blades, that's another thing that comes down to preference, but those will get you far. At your level especially, there is no reason to be shelling out for more expensive blades. I have a friend who is testing international level dances on Coronation Ace blades.

Did they really need those 1310s, or did they just overpay?

Well, I've already ordered the blades, so too late, but I plan on just having them sit around until I really need them. But I don't want to have spent so much and then I've only used half the sharpenings when the boot breaks down, and have to mount it on a new boot. I might end up buying two sets of CorAces if I'm only doing low level doubles/single axel when the current pair wears out. Some people have recommended Comets, but no way can I spin on an 8.5 rocker.

sk8tmum
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I went down half a size actually when I bought these. They have a wonderful snug, secure fit though they crunched my toes a bit at first, they stretched out as I broke them in. Strange for a stock boot to fit so well.. I must have the perfect Riedell foot :lol: They've been eating away at my ankles due to the huge leap from soft Ribbons to stiff boots, but I've ordered gel things to alleviate that.
They're heat-moldable, though I was very afraid to put them in the oven, what if I passed out and they sat in there for hours..? 8O so I used a hairdryer which worked nicely on select spots.
One of the reasons I specifically chose to buy Medallions is because I could find them on clearance price and save maybe thirty bucks (though I ended up saving over a hundred!) I thought Bronze Star might be pushing the limit on how much stiffness I could take, plus, they were too much money.

I'm gonna be screwed if they don't hold through axels. If that happens.. backup plan.. sell all my worldly possessions, or perhaps have my coach give my mother a serious talking-to about equipment (though that could backfire and cause my mother to decide to stop taking me to lessons, because of the lack of good skates.. that sounds like something she would do.)

You did say you'd ordered the Coro Aces already, right? Because those are a couple of hundred dollars on their own ... on top of the boots ... which I see are around $200 or so these days on clearout (although I've seen them cheaper). Club 2000 is a real entry level blade, BTW; what is weird is that the boot/blade for the Gold Medallions is a different combo, these must have been put together by whoever bought them.

Figure skating is expensive. Skates are only part of it. If you don't have parents willing to finance it, you will have to do it yourself. Moving on to axels and such, you'll likely need more than group lessons - and more than twice a week at that, but, that's just my opinion, other opinions will differ. Figure out what you can afford yourself (part time job maybe?) - figure out what you can expect from your parents. Budget accordingly.

Remember also that next time you buy boots, they may cost more. Start putting away, say, $20 a month in a savings account so you have money saved up for that future purchase. In a year, that's $240 towards your next pair, which will help with the financial impact. Budgeting is invaluable to survival in this sport!

sk8tmum
05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Did they really need those 1310s, or did they just overpay?

Well, I've already ordered the blades, so too late, but I plan on just having them sit around until I really need them. But I don't want to have spent so much and then I've only used half the sharpenings when the boot breaks down, and have to mount it on a new boot. I might end up buying two sets of CorAces if I'm only doing low level doubles/single axel when the current pair wears out. Some people have recommended Comets, but no way can I spin on an 8.5 rocker.

1310's may suit some who are doing single axels, as it will depend on the height, weight and skating style of the skater. Some of those kids with doubles may be overbooted in the Gold Medallion! It is so personal to the skater.

Comets have their fans (my coach included). They are just a different approach, and, yup, people spin on them quite well!

Note also that if your feet are still growing (or even not, if boot designs change or if you change boot manufacturer) - the CoroAces may not fit the new boots regardless. As for life time of a blade ... we get at least 2 years out of blades, often 3 or more, but, we have an excellent sharpener.

icestalker
05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Figure skating is expensive. Skates are only part of it. If you don't have parents willing to finance it, you will have to do it yourself. Moving on to axels and such, you'll likely need more than group lessons - and more than twice a week at that, but, that's just my opinion, other opinions will differ. Figure out what you can afford yourself (part time job maybe?) - figure out what you can expect from your parents. Budget accordingly.

Remember also that next time you buy boots, they may cost more. Start putting away, say, $20 a month in a savings account so you have money saved up for that future purchase. In a year, that's $240 towards your next pair, which will help with the financial impact. Budgeting is invaluable to survival in this sport!

I'm always doing stuff like trimming trees and washing trucks to earn money from my parents, and my family gives me quite a bit of money for my birthday which I shall save all of it, with willpower.
I turn 14 in three months, at which age I can legally work in a business. I've already figured out a cost plan for skates, private lessons, and a car in two years- but providing that I work 18 hours a week on minimum wage (40 hours in the summer, but the way I did it, I just put in 18 hours for the whole year, it was too complicated to put in 40 hour weeks randomly), and the results were surprising. I'd have more than enough to do one private lesson per week ($32/half hour), put away $600 or more per year for skates, and still have over $4500 left over to put away for a car.

The only catch? Very few businesses actually hire 14-year-olds. I went on a job site once and only about three out of ten hirers would even hire a 16 year old, let alone a 14 year old. Shall I change my birth date? :frus:
Too bad I wasn't born ten years earlier, when the local Publix hired 14-year-olds to be baggers and shelf stockers. Oh, and when the economy wasn't failing, and when adults weren't using up all of the teenager's jobs.

Really very ridiculous, back in the old days, 14 yr olds were certainly allowed to work more than 18 hours on school week.. pshh! All 14-year-olds worked back then, nowadays they laze around and get "allowance" from their parents.. Do you think a story about an aspiring freestyle skater who is struggling to pay for equipment would soften a business-owner who's hiring? :lol:

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
I think managers are always impressed by go-getters of any age, but the law is the law. If you lie about your age, you'll probably be dismissed when you get caught. Some states require "working papers" for young people, so ask at your advisors' office about the application paperwork.

...and when the economy wasn't failing, and when adults weren't using up all of the teenager's jobs.
The economy sucks and a lot of people are out of work, so be cautious about making remarks like that so casually. The manager might be a victim of layoffs, doing this job to pay bills and put food on the table for his/her families. (BTW, many adults on this board are in/have been in similar circumstances, so show a little empathy, please.)

Check the local seasonal places, like ice and ice cream shops. They usually hire seasonally, and are more inclined to hire teens.

Purple Sparkly
05-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Employment laws vary from state to state and also the industry. The ice skating rink closest to me hires 14 and 15 year olds, but I know some require you to be 16. You may want to begin pursuing babysitting opportunities. Some people will "hire" you even now if they think you are responsible enough to watch their children for a couple hours.

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask at various stores/restaurants/businesses about their employment rules. If they tell you "16 minimum," you'll be able to focus your search elsewhere.

Purple Sparkly
05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
More on employment:

If your area has an agricultural community, you may be able to work even before 14. The federal minimum for agricultural work is 12, but some states require you to be older. For example, in Oregon, you can pick berries with parental permission when you are 9 (no joke! on US Department of Labor's website).

Does your mom house her horses at a barn where you could help out for a little cash? Do you live in Tennessee, Alabama, or South Carolina? (Determined by the 18 hour per week work maximum and Publix locations.) I have family in all three states, so I could maybe ask if they may know something that can help you. :)

jazzpants
05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
The economy sucks and a lot of people are out of work, so be cautious about making remarks like that so casually. The manager might be a victim of layoffs, doing this job to pay bills and put food on the table for his/her families. (BTW, many adults on this board are in/have been in similar circumstances, so show a little empathy, please.)Yes, I was one of those "adults" and despite what you think, the adults aren't taking those summer jobs away from you... because they weren't any to take!!! It was quite scary not having a job for 8 months last year -- was VERY worried I was not gonna be able to pay property taxes, mortgage, etc. and I would be out in the streets. Imagine what would happen if your mom lost her job? She would become one of those adults that have to take a job that could have gone to you so you would have a roof over your head.

It's a VERY ROUGH year last year and this year! I doubt you will start seeing true signs of recovery 'til at least 2012. Right now I'm seeing just glimpses of hope, which is definitely better than nothing. :)

I would also try doing a Google for "summer jobs for kids" in your city. Maybe they may have programs to place you at a job. But yeah, the fact that you're 14 may be a problem. I know if you were in my neck of the woods, there are places in Chinatown that hire kids and pay "under the table." But the hourly rates are bad. :(

Morgail
05-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Dairy Queen used to hire at 14. Not sure if they still do, but that was a popular job among my friends at that age. I started working at my local rink when I was 14. This might be an option for you, especially if you know the rink owner or manager, or are friendly with the employees. Sometimes kids who volunteer to help out with the tots classes get free practice ice in return. You might also try "mom & pop" type places, where the owners know either you or your family. If you have any family friends or relatives who work at doctor's offices or the like, they might hire to you come in and do filing once or twice a week.

icestalker
05-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I think managers are always impressed by go-getters of any age, but the law is the law. If you lie about your age, you'll probably be dismissed when you get caught. Some states require "working papers" for young people, so ask at your advisors' office about the application paperwork.

The economy sucks and a lot of people are out of work, so be cautious about making remarks like that so casually. The manager might be a victim of layoffs, doing this job to pay bills and put food on the table for his/her families. (BTW, many adults on this board are in/have been in similar circumstances, so show a little empathy, please.)

Check the local seasonal places, like ice and ice cream shops. They usually hire seasonally, and are more inclined to hire teens.

Sorry about that, didn't really mean it in a negative way, just meant to say that a lot of jobs that used to be 90% teenager- cashier, hostess, etc., you see a lot of adults applying for these jobs now. My dad lost his job last year and though he found another job in the same line of work as he had done before (yes, I know how extremely rare that is now, to get the same high paying position at another company), we did suffer for quite a few months, though I was lucky enough to keep going to skating because my grandmother offered to help out. He's barely home but he's lucky to have found a job in the first place, my mother's salary wasn't going to uphold us for long.
Of course, I wouldn't say anything to managers, it would bite, wouldn't it?
I would feel guilty if I had taken a job to pay skating expenses, versus an adult who was feeding their kids (sigh.)

icestalker
05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
More on employment:

If your area has an agricultural community, you may be able to work even before 14. The federal minimum for agricultural work is 12, but some states require you to be older. For example, in Oregon, you can pick berries with parental permission when you are 9 (no joke! on US Department of Labor's website).

Does your mom house her horses at a barn where you could help out for a little cash? Do you live in Tennessee, Alabama, or South Carolina? (Determined by the 18 hour per week work maximum and Publix locations.) I have family in all three states, so I could maybe ask if they may know something that can help you. :)

Hmm, lots of cow farms, etc. in my area. I live in Florida actually, but there are many Publixes here. And I think there's a DQ around here somewhere. We have our own little property actually that houses Mom's two horses and my horse (though she didn't spend nearly as much on mine as she did on hers. In fact mine was about the price of a good pair of skates, ironic, right?)
I've looked into petsitting horses before, because some owners want people to ride & exercise their horse, but I gave up after I saw all the adults listing on Craigslist, and they had their own transportation, were licensed/bonded/insured etc., I knew I wouldn't stand a chance. I don't think I can get insurance till I'm 18. It was the same for babysitting too, lots of adults who had extensive nannying experience and were insured/licensed and could also babysit in their own home, whereas when I asked my mom she said absolutely no strange little kids in the house.

I did think of working at the rink, but unfortunately my rink is half an hour away, is an hour away from my mom's work, and 15 minutes away from my dad's work though he can't be depended on, he's always zooming all over the state or off running errands for work. I could get to the rink if somebody drove me to the nearby bus stop. I don't know if I'm quite good enough to teach anything but maybe Basic 1-4, actually. It was quite embarrassing last week to discover that I had lost my clockwise mohawk, RFO 3turn and LFI3turn, just because I hardly use them..
I'd be a bit embarrassed to ask the skating director about coaching in LTS groups.. because the director is my coach. (sigh.) I currently teach my mother, though of course she doesn't pay, she repays me by letting me public-skate every week. I have a little scenario in mind where I teach my mother the basics then she decides to enroll in adult classes (unlikely), and the director/my coach realizes what a good coach I am! (again, unlikely.) :lol: My future career, is of course, coaching. I'm rather fascinated by it.

Yes, I was one of those "adults" and despite what you think, the adults aren't taking those summer jobs away from you... because they weren't any to take!!! It was quite scary not having a job for 8 months last year -- was VERY worried I was not gonna be able to pay property taxes, mortgage, etc. and I would be out in the streets. Imagine what would happen if your mom lost her job? She would become one of those adults that have to take a job that could have gone to you so you would have a roof over your head.

I would also try doing a Google for "summer jobs for kids" in your city. Maybe they may have programs to place you at a job. But yeah, the fact that you're 14 may be a problem.

That's what I'm afraid of- there won't be any jobs, not even for the adults! And any half-smart manager would choose an adult over a kid who can only work 18 hours on school weeks. My city actually has one of the worst unemployment rates in the US, which of course further erases my chances.

My parents tried to shelter me, though I demanded to know what was going on with mortgage payments and all that stuff. If we did end up on the street, we have so many family members, somebody would take us in, so we always take comfort in that.
The sort of job my mom has now is in fact exactly that sort of job, the kind that laid-off adults apply for, she's worked for the same store in various positions for 30 years and people are always telling her what a great store manager she would be and she always says "I would hate the hours!"

I think there's a program in my city like that, though I don't remember the specifics of it. And this summer will go by before my birthday (early August), so it'll have to be next summer if I find a summer job.

GoSveta
05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Dairy Queen cannot hire 14 year olds.

14 year olds can do chores and chore-type work, but they can't legally get a "job." You will never see a business handing out pay checks to a 14 year old, nor will you see a 14 year old on their payroll. I'm sure in some industries the law is broken and people are paid in cash. That is risky/illegal, for all but the most fringe cases. Having a 9 year old out in the field picking berries is, IMO, dangrous. (IMO)

Looking for a job at age 14 is a waste of time, IMO.

Any sane business would hire a decent adult candidate over a 16 year old. Adults have a whole host of advantages over a high school student, and can often bring something to the table beyond what the child can. An adult, for instance, can (and often will) often have a resume with references from which you can [generally] gouge experience and dependability.

That's generally speaking, but from my experience it seems to be fairly accurate.

A 16 year old skater (or any type of serious athlete) in high school is almost as terrible a candidate for a job as you can get. It's a scheduling nightmare and the person can be gone for days at a time. This is especially true for the fast-food industry (i.e. Dairy Queen), which thrives on volatile shift scheduling.

Manager: Anyone want to work the Saturday 2pm shift?
Skater: See y'all monday. Wish me well at competition!
CoWorker_1: :(
CoWorker_2: :(

Those aren't teenager jobs. They're actually quite unfriendly to teenagers, especially teenagers doing any types of serious sports training. If a 16 year old is in high school, the amount of hours they can work (and which shifts they can work) is regulated. That makes them an even less attractive candidate. Pile skating on top of school, and you become borderline unhireable.

College students have the advantage of scheduling their classes around work, if needed. They can take classes at 7am and in the evening if needed, and they don't spend nearly as much time per day in school (something they also have complete control over - half time, full time, or below half time if needed). Even then, it's hard to wing it, and many serious skaters often forego college for a while while they train. Training + Job + School is hard as hell to manage, even for school-sponsored sports (like football, basketball, etc.).

icestalker
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
A 16 year old skater (or any type of serious athlete) in high school is almost as terrible a candidate for a job as you can get. It's a scheduling nightmare and the person can be gone for days at a time. This is especially true for the fast-food industry (i.e. Dairy Queen), which thrives on volatile shift scheduling.

Manager: Anyone want to work the Saturday 2pm shift?
Skater: See y'all monday. Wish me well at competition!
CoWorker_1: :(
CoWorker_2: :(

Those aren't teenager jobs. They're actually quite unfriendly to teenagers, especially teenagers doing any types of serious sports training. If a 16 year old is in high school, the amount of hours they can work (and which shifts they can work) is regulated. That makes them an even less attractive candidate. Pile skating on top of school, and you become borderline unhireable.

I'm homeschooled actually, I spend most of my day lolling around. I detest homeschooling, but it's a choice between skating and going to public school.

I'm never going to train every single day, or constantly be in competitions. I can't, and never will be able to, afford $50K a year of lessons and competition fees. At the most, I might skate two or three weekdays (I currently skate Thursday and Saturday mornings, and all other days are free. If I had the money/transportation, I'd public skate on weekdays more often.) I do not know how many managers would understand that I am not the type of person who would need to constantly skip out on shifts.

14 year olds are legally allowed to work in a business in the US, but it also depends on state law. They are very restricted in type of job and hours worked, but they are allowed. And, yeah, 9 year olds should not be berry picking unless their parents were with them.

The type of job I was thinking of was one that I did on days where it's tough to get people to work, for example, almost all of a lunch diner's employees go to church and it's next to impossible to get them to work Sunday lunch shift. An extremely minor part of the payroll, but a part nonetheless. Teenagers are more likely to accept minimum wage, too. My brother got a job at Quizno's when he was 15- why not 14? The problem now, is that so many kids are spoiled and given cars, that they won't stick with a job or do it properly. I wouldn't care how badly a customer was treating me- I'd do my job, because I honestly needed the money. Any independent child with common sense could make a sandwich, stock shelves, etc., but unfortunately very little children are brought up that way now.

Isk8NYC
05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
There are some age restrictions. You have to be 16 in order to run machinery, so slicing meats for sandwiches, using commercial mixers to make ice cream or batters/doughs, and mixing cement are definitely not available. If your rink has a snack bar or a front desk, they might be willing to give you chance at those jobs. Ask if they need a day camp counselor. For babysitting, one of the best credentials to have is the Red Cross Babysitter certification. Check your local YMCA or Red Cross for courses - it's usually a week long.

What's interesting is that some adults have told me that they were turned down for jobs because the manager knew they'd leave as soon as they got something better. Everyone has a different perspective.

People still hire kids off-the-books, but you have to know someone. Start telling all the adults you meet that you're hoping to get a summer job. Ask nicely if they know of anyone that's hiring. Contact the key people right away.

I started working at 14 in a dry-cleaning/tailoring store, just taking customers clothes, tagging them, and putting bags on them once they were finished. The job paid for my first skating expenses. (I started skating in my late teens.)

Personally, I loved the Medallion series skates for my kids when they started doing freestyle skating. I think they were good quality and well-made. I'd suggest changing blades around FS4.

icestalker
05-18-2010, 07:30 PM
There are some age restrictions. You have to be 16 in order to run machinery, so slicing meats for sandwiches, using commercial mixers to make ice cream or batters/doughs, and mixing cement are definitely not available. If your rink has a snack bar or a front desk, they might be willing to give you chance at those jobs. Ask if they need a day camp counselor. For babysitting, one of the best credentials to have is the Red Cross Babysitter certification. Check your local YMCA or Red Cross for courses - it's usually a week long.

What's interesting is that some adults have told me that they were turned down for jobs because the manager knew they'd leave as soon as they got something better. Everyone has a different perspective.

Personally, I loved the Medallion series skates for my kids when they started doing freestyle skating. I think they were good quality and well-made. I'd suggest changing blades around FS4.

Yup, I've been through all those laws. Mixers.. really.. what can really happen to me- do they think I'd fall in it and get my leg crushed? :roll:
And, well, I can't help with the day camp, because I've been enrolled in it, actually. Great camp, really. They've got ice dance classes and jump classes for whatever your level. And off-ice, in which our butts are kicked by the instructors. 8O

Hmm, never thought of that before. If I got a job, I'd hang onto it for my life.

That's what I was thinking, to change blades at FS4. I'll see if I get through FS3 week after next. Backspins.. 8O

isakswings
05-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Yes, please be careful about saying adults are taking teenagers jobs because many of them are working those jobs to help make ends meet...not because they want to keep teens from working. Looking for a job right now is not easy. My husband has been in and out of work for the last year and a half. He's been turned down from "teenager" jobs due to being over qualified, He's currently looking at working 2 jobs while he looks for something closer to what he was being paid before. So yes, think twice about what you say to others about adults taking teens jobs. Trust me... most of them would likely want to be somewhere else but have no other choice.

My daughter has been skating for 3 years now. We pay for most of her skating costs, but she helps as much as a child of nearly 12 can. One thing she does is help out at our rinks Learn to Skate sessions. By doing this, she earns free freestyle sessions. She does this at least 4 times a month and I consider it her way of helping to pay for figure skating. I would see if your rink offers anything like this. Oh and part of the reason my daughter gets to do this is because it is her club's home rink. Anyway...just a thought.

isakswings
05-18-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm homeschooled actually, I spend most of my day lolling around. I detest homeschooling, but it's a choice between skating and going to public school.

I'm never going to train every single day, or constantly be in competitions. I can't, and never will be able to, afford $50K a year of lessons and competition fees. At the most, I might skate two or three weekdays (I currently skate Thursday and Saturday mornings, and all other days are free. If I had the money/transportation, I'd public skate on weekdays more often.) I do not know how many managers would understand that I am not the type of person who would need to constantly skip out on shifts.

As for the comment re: competitions. You don't need to spend 50K a yr for lessons and comps in order to be in them. My daughter competes and is in shows, competitions, takes private lessons and is in a club and we spend FAR less then that in a yr. To be an elite skater, you would need to spend that(and more I am sure) but to do smaller, local competitions you don't need to spend that much. Just thought I would mention it just in case you were interested in competing and testing.

sk8tmum
05-19-2010, 07:34 AM
My DD was being approached by people asking her to apply for part-time jobs (note: she does not work for money by our direction, as she is fulfilling other expectations that we have in terms of academics and volunteer work, and thus, we fund her skating for her). Why was she approached?

1. Attitude. She has a reputation for being positive, innovative, creative and hardworking.
2. Reliability. She is always on time, prepared, and willing to do what is asked.
3. Communication skills. She speaks well, and is able to listen and respond effectively.
4. QUALIFICATIONS ****** (note the stars): She went out and qualified in First Aid, and as far up the lifeguarding qualifications as her age permitted, and is knocking off the rest as the age requirements are met. She further took every seminar, course and workshop offered at our skating club, participated enthusiastically, and ignored the comments from other skaters about how "boring" it was.

How did people know about her abilities? From observing her in a variety of volunteer and other situations. A teenager's reputation is what will really help get them work, if they want it. A teenager's reputation will also prevent them from doing work if that applies.

Thus ... the purpose of my rant/diatribe. If you can't get paying work, go out and volunteer at the local hospital, animal shelter, or at your rink. Establish a strong reputation, practice in working steadily at a job, and get a resume that shows your commitment to a role, plus, of course, references (being homeschooled, you lack the teacher references that many teens can use). Once you have that reputation, you too may get the phone calls we do from people looking for a steady proven individual with a great proven track record. Plus, look for every course you can take (some are free or nearly free) - and add the skills and knowledge one. That will put you at the "top" of the pile when it comes to job applications, and may also help you get jobs that pay ABOVE that minimum wage.

Just a suggestion. I'm a high school teacher, and I see what succeeds for my students; some are spoilt brats, but, there are also lots of really good teenagers out there with good work ethics and who are definitely NOT getting everything handed to them on a platter by their parents!!!! Pretty much the same as it was when I went to school many many many years ago :)

RachelSk8er
05-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Looking for a job at age 14 is a waste of time, IMO.

Not always. Some employers like athletes because they know that although there may be scheduling issues, they are going to usually be dependable and reliable because being involved in sports teaches them to manage their time, and usually the competitiveness of an athlete carries over into work and they want to do better than everyone else there, too. (Plus the OP mentioned she is homeschooled. I know I'm opening a huge can of worms with this comment but I don't really care. A lot of homeschooled kids tend to be a little more independent and mature for their ages.)

I grew up in the 90s when it was a little easier for a teenager to find a job, so it was a little different. But I had my first actual on-the-payroll job at 14, and once I turned 15 and was able to get my lifeguard certification [followed up by swimming instructor certification at 16 and then I got certified to teach lifeguarding/CPR], I worked one job all year, and usually 2 jobs in the summer when outdoor pools opened. I also picked up various odd jobs (mostly when family friends who owned or ran businesses needed extra help, i.e. dad's friend who owned an indoor sports facility would have me work concessions when he had a big tournament, or if a friend who owned a business had a big mailing to go out I'd come in and stuff envelopes, I'd ice monitor in the summers to get my ice time free, one summer I vacuumed an apartment complex pool at 7am 3 mornings a week under the table and then went on to my regular jobs). I skated synchro on a senior team from age 14-18, and we practiced almost year round and traveled to about 5 competitions in the winter, sometimes internationally (plus I was in marching band at school that competed in the fall and went on a big trip once a year, like to Disney). Finding people to cover when I was out of town for skating was never an issue, we ALWAYS had people looking for more hours, especially on weekends when teenagers were able to work. And if you were just as willing to help other people when they needed someone to cover, it was generally never a problem. You just need to find an employer (or employers) who are willing to work with teenagers, which in this economy may be more difficult, and be aware of state laws and where you can work at a certain age.

sk8tegirl06
05-19-2010, 08:49 AM
To OP, have you heard of Sittercity.com? It is a website for babysitting/petsitting/housesitting/etc, you can type in your zipcode and find job postings in your area. At you age, 13 almost 14, I think babysitting/mother's helper type jobs are the only ones you could apply for.

Your attitude is great, but I think you are just a little too young for all these plans about how much money you will save for skating and a car. Even if you were to find a job, finding a job that will schedule you for 40 hours a week over the summers is just not realistic.

40 hours times $8/hour times 12 weeks of summer only gives you about $3800 and then if it is a payroll job, you still need to account for all the taxes that are taken out. Working during the school year will certainly add to that total, but it still is a bit of a stretch.

I do understand where you are coming from I am in college and I fund about 98% of my own skating as well. I purchased my second pair of boots, pay for all my own lessons, ice time, most of my test sessions, competitions, and show fees. I don't think my parents even know how much one lesson is. I did a spring show a couple weeks ago, I don't think they realize that there was a fee associated with it. But the deal was, they would take care of whatever tuition/room/board after my student loans, but books and extra curricular activities were my responsibility. (Sometimes I will ask for skating related things for Christmas and that helps a bit.)

This season, I have done one test session, one show, and two competitions and I can tell you that I have not spent anywhere close to $50K. There are tricks to saving money, used dress sales, LTS helper to get ice time, etc.

I am also able to trade services with my coach. I hope my eventual career is in radio and television broadcasting, so I am rather handy at sound editing. My coach will give me music to edit for people and in exchange I get a lesson. (I think she still charges them, but just keeps the money rather than paying me only to have me use that money to pay her for my lessons.) I have even done show music for my coach's program.

I use a program called Audacity. I downloaded it from the internet. I find it very easy to use. So maybe see if some coaches need help editing music for the upcoming season?

icestalker
05-19-2010, 09:17 AM
My DD was being approached by people asking her to apply for part-time jobs (note: she does not work for money by our direction, as she is fulfilling other expectations that we have in terms of academics and volunteer work, and thus, we fund her skating for her). Why was she approached?

1. Attitude. She has a reputation for being positive, innovative, creative and hardworking.
2. Reliability. She is always on time, prepared, and willing to do what is asked.
3. Communication skills. She speaks well, and is able to listen and respond effectively.
4. QUALIFICATIONS ****** (note the stars): She went out and qualified in First Aid, and as far up the lifeguarding qualifications as her age permitted, and is knocking off the rest as the age requirements are met. She further took every seminar, course and workshop offered at our skating club, participated enthusiastically, and ignored the comments from other skaters about how "boring" it was.

How did people know about her abilities? From observing her in a variety of volunteer and other situations. A teenager's reputation is what will really help get them work, if they want it. A teenager's reputation will also prevent them from doing work if that applies.

Sadly my parents just do not like skating. They never thought I'd become obsessed with it when they signed me up for the cheaper homeschool lessons my local rink offered. They probably have the money, they would just rather use it on something else. They've spent lots on buying stuff for me and my brother (horses, computers, birthday gifts). It's not like we're poor, we certainly aren't rich, but they've always made sure we're happy without spoiling us. We've got mortgage payments and such, but they still find money to buy extras. Even if I got more lessons at the rink, I don't know how I would get there, since Mom complains just about driving me twice a week (she usually works part time three days a week, and half the time Dad drives me on Saturday.)

And I'd like to volunteer. I've asked my parents many times if I could volunteer at the animal shelter, but they have to transport me there and they have to stay there with me since I'm under a certain age and everything. I've volunteered in 4-h type stuff before, doing charity car washes and recently I volunteered to help serve food at an Area F horse show, but the only reason Mom drove me there is because it was 5 minutes away.

At the pig barn during fair, the barn manager and his assistants absolutely adore me, though of course I only see them once a year for a week.
My academics are always A's, and always have been. I do plan to go through First Aid courses and maybe some babysitting ones, though I'm not going to if I'm the one paying for them, seeing as I am still in debt to my mother from buying my own skates. I need every penny for the next pair.

My parents just aren't willing. That's all there is to it.

As for the comment re: competitions. You don't need to spend 50K a yr for lessons and comps in order to be in them. My daughter competes and is in shows, competitions, takes private lessons and is in a club and we spend FAR less then that in a yr. To be an elite skater, you would need to spend that(and more I am sure) but to do smaller, local competitions you don't need to spend that much. Just thought I would mention it just in case you were interested in competing and testing.

I do compete a few times a year, but not very often, since my mother begrudgingly doles out the money for private lessons. She'll probably be less willing this year seeing how badly I did last year. It's hardly the coach's fault, it's quite obviously mine, but maybe Mom thinks it's not worth it if I place last again. Life lessons, right? Though I can imagine how frustrating it must be to coach me. "Jump!" I don't jump. "Jump!" I don't jump. "Jump-- before I kick your butt!" Still don't jump. It's hardly my fault if my muscles simply won't listen to me, is it? 8O

kayskate
05-19-2010, 09:51 AM
My sis started working at a fast food counter at 14. That was in the early 80s in CA. Laws may have changed. As for your availability, explain that in your cover letter or at the interview.

My parents did not like skating either. Here I am 43 still skating and coaching.

You may also be able to work as a LTS helper and earn free ice time if not much $. I know a lot of kids who did this at 14.

Kay

drskater
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I really admire your ambitiousness and drive. Such self-motivation to make a long-term towards a goal will take you far in life. Now, if you will forgive my “old-person” advice…

First, your priority must be academics. A college education will serve you well in getting a job that will pay for skating! I’m sure the adults in this forum will agree.

Secondly, am I correct in assuming that you have not joined your rink’s Club? I realize that this another expense, but for someone in your position it may be a good move. Some clubs, like mine, try to help our skaters go to competitions and tests with small scholarship grants (admittedly we can do this because we’re small). You have a better chance of getting some help if you build trust between yourself and the club members (especially the officers). Volunteer to help out as needed, always have a smile, and be disciplined about your skating. Clubs feel good about themselves when they can help a dedicated skater in need.

Clubs are invaluable for networking and meeting people who might provide favors. We swap competition dresses, search for used skates, carpool, and generally try to support one another. If you “prove” yourself as a hard worker, someone in the club may know someone looking for teenage employee, and of course, people are always looking for reliable and responsible house sitters, pet sitters (my husband and I can always find a club member willing to look after our pet babies), and babysitters. Believe me, folks would rather hire someone they know.

Thirdly, take time to get to know the rink manager. She or he can easily discern a good employee from the local skaters, and most prefer to hire skaters they know. Some rinks may exchange ice time for work (but don’t let yourself be exploited). At a bare minimum, working at the rink will allow you to build work experience to get a better job at some point down the road.

I hope this helps. Please let us know what happens.

Sessy
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Coronation ace will last you through most of your doubles which for a lot of people is as far as they'll ever get anyway, provided it doesn't get screwed up by a bad sharpener and provided the blades can be mounted on whatever boot you need for your feet (size and stuff). They really are good blades. They don't seem to carry them at pro stores in my country anymore which more than a little vexes me. Luckily mine should still be good for a while.

If finances are a problem, blades like mk21 and 35-euro price range blades last most people through the singles up to the axel (but not including) so if you didn't buy the blades yet, don't mount them, get them as late as possible (basically, when you notice you don't have enough edge stability on the landings and/or not enough toepick to get height).

Can't comment on Riedell, it's not carried by pro stores here.

I agree to focus on academics since it will pay for your skating in the future. It might seem like far away at your age but believe me it's not at all. As for paying for private lessons - try explaining to your mom it's the JOY IN THE PROCESS for you, not the result. Sheesh. Sounds like someone's got issues about their kids excelling in everything...

Query
05-19-2010, 12:30 PM
As for how long skates should last, I think it depends a lot on fit. If there is no space inside for a break-down crease to form, it literally never does, though the leather eventually gets soft; but some people like a looser fit. I think it also depends on what type of skating moves you are doing, how deep your edges are, how tight you lace, and how good you are at landing jumps "softly" (which means you absorb the impact in many different parts of your body, rather than forcing the boot and more limited parts of your body to take it all).

So you see people who keep skates 3 or 4 months, and people who keep them for decades, both using them 3-7 days/week. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that when they only last a few months, something has to be wrong, either fit or technique. A growing child won't fit anything for very long, even if you do things like remove the insoles, and stretch the boots - and you are about the right age for that to be a significant issue. It makes sense for you to buy a little large, and use a variety of stuff to take up space in the boots, which you remove as you grow.

You might ask around to see if anyone (skaters or coaches) has used skates in good condition, that just happen to come reasonably close to fitting you, and adapt them so they fit perfect. I wouldn't worry too much about the exact brand or model - with a little work, you can adapt skates to fit if they are reasonably close. With a lot of work, if there is enough space inside, you can glue in reinforcement to make insufficiently stiff boots stiff enough, but it isn't worth the effort if you can avoid it.

P.S. Someone once told me that (in my state), kids could work if they had their parent's written permission, which explains all those young child actors and models, from infants on up. Slightly older kids often mow lawns or baby sit (yuk).

You could ask the figure skating director at one or more rinks, and you are good, ask if they take volunteers to help with group lessons, with the possibility of eventually becoming a coach yourself. Most places even LTS group lesson coaches earn more than people who work the snack bar, skate rental or who take people's money at the admissions area. In the USFSA, you can teach Basic 1 - 8 (group or sometimes private) without certification, if a coach registers you with the USFSA as a Basic 8 coach. But I think most want you to be 15 or more to be paid. Maybe you can barter with your coach - she sort of refunding you the cost of your skates out of her lesson fee, in exchange for help.

Given that the director is your coach, if you don't feel comfortable enough to ask her, that seems pretty strange. You should be able to talk to your coach about anything related to skating. How can it hurt to try?

icestalker
05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I really admire your ambitiousness and drive. Such self-motivation to make a long-term towards a goal will take you far in life. Now, if you will forgive my “old-person” advice…

First, your priority must be academics. A college education will serve you well in getting a job that will pay for skating! I’m sure the adults in this forum will agree.

Clubs are invaluable for networking and meeting people who might provide favors. We swap competition dresses, search for used skates, carpool, and generally try to support one another. If you “prove” yourself as a hard worker, someone in the club may know someone looking for teenage employee, and of course, people are always looking for reliable and responsible house sitters, pet sitters (my husband and I can always find a club member willing to look after our pet babies), and babysitters. Believe me, folks would rather hire someone they know.

Thirdly, take time to get to know the rink manager. She or he can easily discern a good employee from the local skaters, and most prefer to hire skaters they know. Some rinks may exchange ice time for work (but don’t let yourself be exploited). At a bare minimum, working at the rink will allow you to build work experience to get a better job at some point down the road.

Thanks! And, yes, I will be going to college, I have been looking into athletic degrees, sports science, etc. since I plan to become a coach. (Or perhaps a business degree.) I'll be completing my basic classes in a dual enrollment program in a year or two, also. And since the college is across the street from the skating rink.. well, that's very convenient :mrgreen:And I would absolutely love to coach LTS classes but as mentioned before I simply don't have a way to get to the rink, so the most I could do is maybe convince my mother to stay longer on Saturday so I could coach one or two Saturday classes after my lesson. I did find a bus system that will take me to the arena from a bus stop that is a few minutes from my house, but I don't want to pay for bus tickets until I have a solid job, not just a coaching job that wouldn't pay much. My only coaching experience is teaching my mother, and once she's pretty good maybe I will have her demonstrate for the skating director, to prove my coaching abilities :lol: (when I'm 16 and can drive myself.)

I've been trying to convince my mother to let me join the local figure skating club but it's a work in progress. I shall ask her again soon. I've proved myself as a hard worker in the pig barn (on cleanup day after the fair, most kids sit around and chat, I actually clean..) and the pig barn manager completely adores me, however I only see him once a year. I bet anyone in my 4-h club would recommend me.. hmm. Maybe I should try Craigslist, though last time I looked on there I was scared off by the millions of adults with much more experience than I.

Is the rink manager the same as the skating director? The owner of the rink is a rich guy that also has car dealerships and such, and he owns the hockey team as well. The skating director is my coach actually so she knows me well, though that could be either bad or good, considering what a hesitant student I am 8O.

Query
05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
At a guess, coaching experience would look very good on your college applications, if you go into sports science. Even as a business major - if you have worked as a coach as an independent contractor, maybe that would look good too. Say that to your parents.

Any ice skate coaching job will pay way more than anything else you can find now. In my part of the US, they start at about $45/hour for group lessons, and are $72-$80/hour for privates. That's very good, especially as part-time jobs go. Probably better than anything in the sports science field unless you get a medical degree or become a college professor (which is very competitive to get). I bet it's more than pig barns pay, though it is possible you might get less as a coach in a rural area.

But if your parents think skating is taking up too much of your time, compared to what they think you should study, and wouldn't like the idea of your aiming to be a coach, that could be a more serious problem. Realistically, a very small fraction of athletes in any sport make a living from sports performance (as opposed to teaching), and your parents probably know that. In the mean time, talking to your coach about the whole issue still makes sense. If your coach tells your parents you could make a decent living as a coach, that could make a big difference in how they support your desires.

Good luck, and have fun.

Skittl1321
05-19-2010, 01:03 PM
In my part of the US, they start at about $45/hour for group lessons, and are $72-$80/hour for privates.

HOLY CRAP! We get paid between $12-$18/ hour for group lessons. (And it's nearly impossible to get a raise. If you're still in HS you start at $12, so when you graduate, even if you have multiple senior tests, you're likely only to get a raise to $13 or $14, even though you'd command $18 if you came in with those tests as a college student. And you need multiple senior tests to get the high number. It's ridiculous.)

Privates are lower, but along the same line as what you cited, between $30-60/ hr. But a 14-year old isn't going to be able to do that. I don't think they could get the insurance, and unless they had a national championship under their belts- the students.

At 14, I think baby sitting is your best option (or have you looked at grocery store/walmart bagger/greeter positions? I know multiple HS students who do that). You generally can't charge real good baby sitting rates until you can drive, but I started baby sitting at 12. If you can find a full time summer family, you can make good money. Honestly though, if the situation is such that your family may be out on the streets soon (I hope that was an exageration) it might not be the time for skating. I had to stop lessons when I lost my job (I get free ice as an LTS helper. I didn't take a paid position when it was offered years ago because it wasn't worth the trouble of the taxes. Ice worked out to be a better deal). And let me tell you, as an out of work adult- it's not easy to get the "teenager" jobs. No one wants to hire someone overqualified. They don't think they'll stick around if something better comes up. (And in most cases, unless someone is trying to change industry, they are probably right.)

icestalker
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Given that the director is your coach, if you don't feel comfortable enough to ask her, that seems pretty strange. You should be able to talk to your coach about anything related to skating. How can it hurt to try?

Hmm well she intimidates me quite a bit, which is why I chose her as my coach actually because I need a coach to kick my butt. And all the young coaches I see in LTS are all college-age, I've never seen a 16 year old even, I'd feel silly asking when it seems sort of obvious that they must have an age limit. And since I'm in three group lessons, that'd make me feel more silly, can't coach the lesson that I'm in!

I'm pretty sure my feet have stopped growing actually; they're nearly the same size as my mother's, except hers are a little bigger from pregnancy, they spread a little bit. We wear the same size sandal, she just wears wider shoes. My height is still catching up, unfortunately I'm likely to be 6', horrible for skating, right? 8O

I really prefer buying new, I just think that I get my money's worth that way. I have no way of knowing what's been done to used skates, whether the leather could be rotting from the inside out, how they may have been potentially mistreated, etc.

I agree to focus on academics since it will pay for your skating in the future. It might seem like far away at your age but believe me it's not at all. As for paying for private lessons - try explaining to your mom it's the JOY IN THE PROCESS for you, not the result. Sheesh. Sounds like someone's got issues about their kids excelling in everything...

All she wants me to excel in is showing my horse, which I mainly have an interest in training and trail-riding her, I'm not big on the idea of showing her every weekend. I know that the minute I said that I'd like to start showing her, my mother would immediately go get memberships at the local show club and buy tack and show clothes for me, whatever the cost.

Any ice skate coaching job will pay way more than anything else you can find now. In my part of the US, they start at about $45/hour for group lessons

Really? 8O A few group lessons would pay for new skates!

icestalker
05-19-2010, 01:15 PM
At 14, I think baby sitting is your best option (or have you looked at grocery store/walmart bagger/greeter positions? I know multiple HS students who do that). You generally can't charge real good baby sitting rates until you can drive, but I started baby sitting at 12. If you can find a full time summer family, you can make good money. Honestly though, if the situation is such that your family may be out on the streets soon (I hope that was an exageration) it might not be the time for skating. I had to stop lessons when I lost my job (I get free ice as an LTS helper. I didn't take a paid position when it was offered years ago because it wasn't worth the trouble of the taxes. Ice worked out to be a better deal). And let me tell you, as an out of work adult- it's not easy to get the "teenager" jobs. No one wants to hire someone overqualified. They don't think they'll stick around if something better comes up. (And in most cases, unless someone is trying to change industry, they are probably right.)

Nah, we're not going out on the streets anytime soon! We're slowly getting back on our feet, Dad got a job, hmm, last December I think? But we do have big mortage/credit bills.

There is so many adults that don't have a degree or anything, though, they do manage to get those jobs sometimes, I think. It's pretty hard convincing a manager that a teenager will stick around, though.

When paying for group lessons we get free public-skate cards, though, maybe I will be needing a Freestyle card this coming fall.

Skittl1321
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
And since I'm in three group lessons, that'd make me feel more silly, can't coach the lesson that I'm in!

Just to let you know I was brought on to teach snowplow sam right after I finished Basic 8. I was a preschool teacher at the time and they just needed someone who was good with kids. None of the parents have ever questioned my abilities, and many have asked if I give privates (I don't) even though they see me teach two classes, and then skate off to join the class (FS3) I'm in. Maybe you could barter like that- be a "helper" in exchange for free group lessons. Then set aside the money you used to pay for group lessons for the skates. It's probably more likely then getting an actual coaching/instructor job.

Glad to hear your family is recovering. It's tough.

Purple Sparkly
05-19-2010, 03:00 PM
It would depend on your club program and the caliber of skaters they have available. One place I teach allows a FS 2/3 skater to help with group lessons, while another place probably wouldn't let a skater of that level help. I have been at other rinks that allow low level freeskate skaters to help with lessons, mostly with Snowplow and Basic 1/2.

Query
05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Expression of divine distaste] We get paid between $12-$18/ hour for group lessons...

The $45/hour I cited was for fully certified adult coaches who lead the lesson. Don't know what teen age helpers get.

Child through young adult labor practices are often exploitive. Decision makers know you are likely to work for less, and do unpleasant duties too. Not always fair, but that's the way it is.

I'm sorry if I dragged the thread off-topic.

Skittl1321
05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
The $45/hour I cited was for fully certified adult coaches who lead the lesson. Don't know what teen age helpers get.

Yeah and I'm still OMG about it- the $18/hour here is for people who are full-time certified coaches, with multiple senior level tests, a few of whom have international skating experience, and have taken students to nationals.

Our rink does not pay teenage helpers. They pay teenaged instructors- but the only HS student I can think was an instructor had gone to nationals (as novice) and has his senior MITF. He still got $12/hr. I am an unpaid instructor because it was a better deal for me- I sometimes am "helper" if another instructor does the class too- I was offered $12.50/hr out of Basic 8. However, I was a certified childcare provider with CPR training, and what they wanted me for was toddler classes. Still I can't imagine a skater of the HS student's caliber deserved to make less than me (though he did shadow me when learning to teach tots).

Sessy
05-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Query, I sent you a PM about re-inforcing boots, any help would be appreciated! :) :bow:

Sessy
05-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Ice stalker, how far away is this rink? You you cycle there within an hour or so? (would be good cardio!) Can you go by bus?
Are kids your age allowed to drive a scooter in your country?

Consider that whatever you do, it may not be possible to convince your parents that skating is something you should do. I know of a woman (the mother of a boy I sorta know) who had to stop ballet as a teenager after an injury, and her mom protested heavily that she get back to ballet at the time. She started ballet again only in her 30's and continued to practice afterwards with much joy. When her son grew up, she told her mother she'd quite like him to have a ballerina or a figure skater for a girlfriend because they're so graceful, to which her mother started spitting poison, saying they were all prostitutes and dressed indecently and only wanted to show off their naked rear ends. At this point, this woman realised the injury might even have been the work of her mother's hands, even though she doesn't know of course. Needless to say, their relationship is now nearly nonexistant.

On the other end of the spectrum, I know of a muslim girl who convinced her parents to let her skate - first public sessions, then lessons - by adressing their concerns about clothing and behaviour appropriateness. They're supportive of her skating now.

Try to get to the core of why your mother wants the horses for you and not the skating, and address that issue in particular. Until you know what her problem is with skating specifically, your efforts to convince her are likely to be inefficient.

icestalker
05-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Ice stalker, how far away is this rink? You you cycle there within an hour or so? (would be good cardio!) Can you go by bus?
Are kids your age allowed to drive a scooter in your country?

Consider that whatever you do, it may not be possible to convince your parents that skating is something you should do.

On the other end of the spectrum, I know of a muslim girl who convinced her parents to let her skate - first public sessions, then lessons - by adressing their concerns about clothing and behaviour appropriateness. They're supportive of her skating now.

Try to get to the core of why your mother wants the horses for you and not the skating, and address that issue in particular. Until you know what her problem is with skating specifically, your efforts to convince her are likely to be inefficient.

30 miles of interstate highway. :frus:
There is a bus system but I don't want to have to pay to ride it until I have a job to pay for it. Even then I'd have to walk about two miles from the closest bus stop from the rink, strange, they stop at the library and the college but they won't stop at the rink? Also the closest bus stop to my house is a few miles away (also a highway), and somebody would have to drive me, seeing as Mom thinks I am incapable of walking along a highway and going over a bridge and through a block of two of town streets, many cars go by, it's not like somebody's going to nab me in broad daylight. It's not like I don't have leg muscles either.

She wants the horses because she made a life out of horses, she had a boarding barn and trained horses and bred them, and she won quite a few championship type things. I love my horse and I like riding/training her, but I don't want to make a life out of it.

She likes skating, she public-skates with me and I've been teaching her. She doesn't have a problem with outfits, injuries, etc., it's not like skating is any more dangerous than riding. Mom's had quite a few riding accidents in her day. She would just rather pay for saddles than skates I guess, and driving to the rink is an hour round-trip, plus the time spent there. Probably doesn't want to be sucked into driving to the rink five times a week for freestyle ice.. she's very supportive when I compete and such, she complains about driving to the rink more and such, but she buys pictures and videotapes me and tells me I did great even though the last comp, I placed last :lol:.

She also wants to move to Kentucky as soon as possible, whereas I don't, the nearest rink is 45 to 1 hour away, and I don't want to move away from my coach, the new rink might not have a coach that can make me skate as well. I suppose skating takes away from the savings account for a log house on her Kentucky property.

I mostly think that she really just doesn't want to spend so much time and money on skating, she doesn't really understand that I'm not going to become bored with skating.

RachelSk8er
05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I know you don't want to think about when you're an adult because that seems far off and whatnot, but if you can't skate now or if you move to where it's pretty impossible, don't ever think it's too late.

There are a lot of adult skaters who didn't start until they were in college or even older, or maybe they took a few lessons as a kid but that's as far as they got before they quit and picked it up again later on. A lot of adults wanted to skate as kids/teens, but didn't live near a rink (but always wanted to skate), or their parents wouldn't pay for it, or couldn't afford it, or any number of reasons why they didn't. And now they compete at adult nationals every year at just about every level, some of them are even in Europe right now at an adult international competition.

isakswings
05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
And I would absolutely love to coach LTS classes but as mentioned before I simply don't have a way to get to the rink, so the most I could do is maybe convince my mother to stay longer on Saturday so I could coach one or two Saturday classes after my lesson. I did find a bus system that will take me to the arena from a bus stop that is a few minutes from my house, but I don't want to pay for bus tickets until I have a solid job, not just a coaching job that wouldn't pay much. My only coaching experience is teaching my mother, and once she's pretty good maybe I will have her demonstrate for the skating director, to prove my coaching abilities :lol: (when I'm 16 and can drive myself.)

My daughter doesn't teach LTS classes, she is a helper. For the time she spends as a helper, she earns free ice time. It is a very nice trade for us! We are fortunate to live about 5 min from the ice rink but with that said, she also tends to help on days we are already there. She helps on her LTS lesson days before her own group lesson and after her private lesson. If there are lessons going on before or after your lessons, maybe you could convince your mom to bring you a little earlier or pick you up a little later? if your rink offers the option of helping to earn ice time, that alone might convince your mom to let you do this.

I just thought of something else. Do any of the other skaters in your classes live near you? Could you car pool with another skater?

kayskate
05-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Since you are planning to go to college, coaching is a great PT job. We have a few college students coaching at the rink where I work. They make good $. In only a few hrs they can earn what would take 20+ hrs to earn in a typical pt college student job. Starting now as a helper would definitely put you in position to do this when you are older. You can also be mentored as a coach at 16. By the time you are in college you will have 4 yrs exp and be in a position to earn 40+/hr. That would give you great pocket $ in just a few hrs/wk and would allow you to help w your college costs. Skating and coaching will also look good on your college aps.

Kay

icestalker
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
My daughter doesn't teach LTS classes, she is a helper. For the time she spends as a helper, she earns free ice time. It is a very nice trade for us! We are fortunate to live about 5 min from the ice rink but with that said, she also tends to help on days we are already there. She helps on her LTS lesson days before her own group lesson and after her private lesson. If there are lessons going on before or after your lessons, maybe you could convince your mom to bring you a little earlier or pick you up a little later? if your rink offers the option of helping to earn ice time, that alone might convince your mom to let you do this.

I just thought of something else. Do any of the other skaters in your classes live near you? Could you car pool with another skater?

My group lesson comes with a public card actually and I refuse to go on freestyle ice for fear of being ran over by double jumpers. 8O Since I skate Thursday mornings, I public skate at noon, and it's mostly adults and maybe a parent and kid there, it's not crowded at all, and the same people are there every week so we all know each other's levels and what to expect. Mom does occasionally buy a card since the card I get from lessons every eight weeks doesn't quite match up to both of us skating every week, though we don't regularly buy a card, perhaps every few months really.

I don't know any of the other skaters well and my mom knows one of the other moms well but that mom has given me a dress and helped out when we have questions, so I would absolutely hate to keep asking her for favors when we can't offer anything in return, and same for the other skaters, I can't give them a ride to the rink, so it wouldn't be equal.

Since you are planning to go to college, coaching is a great PT job. We have a few college students coaching at the rink where I work. They make good $. In only a few hrs they can earn what would take 20+ hrs to earn in a typical pt college student job. Starting now as a helper would definitely put you in position to do this when you are older. You can also be mentored as a coach at 16. By the time you are in college you will have 4 yrs exp and be in a position to earn 40+/hr. That would give you great pocket $ in just a few hrs/wk and would allow you to help w your college costs. Skating and coaching will also look good on your college aps.

There's a few college coaches at my rink though I don't know if they get ice time/lessons or if they're actually paid. I don't think any of them give privates. I would like to become an actual coach as soon as possible, even if only a substitute coach or a day-camp coach, so I don't have to spend time working an actual eight hour sort of job while I'm trying to do college. Oh and what is being mentored as a coach? Is that like shadowing a coach and such, to learn how to coach? I'm a decent enough coach for basic stuff, though I have no clue how coaches can pick out the slightest fault in a jump or spin.

kayskate
05-21-2010, 02:11 PM
PSA offers courses for entry level coaches and an apprentice program.
http://www.skatepsa.com/Educational-Events-Programs-PSA.htm

To join, you need a sponsor, usually the rink director or your own coach. i think there is also a junior coaching program that req's the skaters to be 16. I don't know too much about this. Maybe someone else can clarify.

At first, you will not be expected to pick out nuances of spins and jumps. You will start w tots then work up to low basic skills (1 & 2). personally, I never had a mentor, but I was 30+ when I started coaching and working as a school teacher. the rink needed pros and I was basically given the curriculum and thrown in the same morning. At the time, I did not even know what a "rocking horse" was. Someone told me. I doubt this will happen to you. Younger pros tend to start by helping w tot classes. many pros also start by subbing especially when trying to get into another rink. A reliable sub soon gets his/her own classes. Again, I never had to do this due to demand for pros at the time.

At my rink, this is one girl who is a college sophomore. She has her own classes and gives privates. She charges less than us older coaches. Not sure what levels she competed as a teen, but I think it was in lower FS (maybe pre-juv). She started as a helper in h.s. and soon had her own tot classes and low basics. Now she teaches everything. She probably makes more $ than other students her age who have to work 20+ hr/wk.

Kay

Sessy
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
I mostly think that she really just doesn't want to spend so much time and money on skating, she doesn't really understand that I'm not going to become bored with skating.

Honestly, don't guess - ask. Explain what you feel and ask her how she feels. :)

TreSk8sAZ
05-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Honestly, don't guess - ask. Explain what you feel and ask her how she feels. :)

I second this. You are old enough to have a rational conversation with your mother explaining that while you appreciate that she enjoys horses and showing them, you have the same type of interest in skating rather than showing horses. Explain what you hope to achieve and how you are willing to work for it. Don't whine or complain that it's unfair, etc. You won't know exactly why unless you ask, and you may be assuming things on behalf of your mother that are not correct.

sk8tmum
05-21-2010, 05:25 PM
As a parent of teenagers and a high-school teacher ... I 3rd the suggestion that it is time to have a mature, sit-down conversation with your mother. We can't solve your challenges here - however, she does have the ability to do so. Parents generally have reasons for what they do, and you can't know what they are unless you ask.

Out of curiosity - where does your father stand on all of this? Does he support your skating? Or is he of the horsey-mind-set as well? If he is in support, then, that is an asset to you.

icestalker
05-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Neither of us are the sit down and talk type. I know it's money/time, anyway. She continually reminds me of how she pays for my lessons and frequently says stuff like "Well I already drive you twice a week that's enough" or "I'm only paying for so many privates this fall" or "I already have to pay for three group lessons" (well, if I don't have suitable skates, then how am I supposed to skate in those lessons?) I've tried to tell her that it's very difficult for me to find the money to buy skates, and I'll help around the house more if she likes, but she (again) makes a remark on how my old skates were fine. She did pay for $60 of my new skates, since my old skates fit her and she uses them now, and she had bought those skates for $60. I'd rather not bring it up at all, wouldn't take much for the lessons to not be paid for at all. Of course I never go the typical teenager way ("It's unfair! You're ruining my life! I hate you!") because I was brought up to know better than that.

My father's decidedly non-horsey, though he doesn't mind having them. I don't really know if he would pay for skates, etc if he were in Mom's position. He's not around except for after 6pm and on week-ends, though he occasionally drives me to the rink Saturday, and he always tells me how good I look on ice (even after I wiped out and slid across half the rink? 8O). He's definitely supportive of what makes me happy (has always spoiled me a little bit, as most fathers do) but Mom always has final say (aren't couples supposed to be equal?) nor does he ever fight against her. He supports what makes Mom happy too, and of course he agreed to pay $1800 for a trail-riding horse, of money that he worked all week for, and actually that's about the amount of a monthly mortgage payment.

techskater
05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
By the time I was your age, I was responsible for my own skating budget. My parents gave me enough money to skate X sessions a week, X lessons a week, 1 pair of skates per necessary which came out of X competitions, and X competitions and anything above that, I was responsible for. Can you work out this kind of arrangement?

Sessy
05-22-2010, 02:49 AM
My father's decidedly non-horsey, though he doesn't mind having them. I don't really know if he would pay for skates, etc if he were in Mom's position. He's not around except for after 6pm and on week-ends, though he occasionally drives me to the rink Saturday, and he always tells me how good I look on ice (even after I wiped out and slid across half the rink? 8O). He's definitely supportive of what makes me happy (has always spoiled me a little bit, as most fathers do) but Mom always has final say (aren't couples supposed to be equal?)

People are never equal, especially not men and women, and a lot of people take their mental sanity from either surrendering their choice in certain matters to their spouse or, quite the opposite, taking all of the control. Just degrees to which that happens vary. If they're happy with the arrangement, well, y'know.

Try asking for the money for skates from grandparents for your birthday or end-of-year exams if you have those.

icestalker
05-22-2010, 05:40 PM
By the time I was your age, I was responsible for my own skating budget. My parents gave me enough money to skate X sessions a week, X lessons a week, 1 pair of skates per necessary which came out of X competitions, and X competitions and anything above that, I was responsible for. Can you work out this kind of arrangement?

Hmm, it's not so much a budget as it is "I pay for this, you pay for that." I'd have to miss four months of lessons to pay for skates.

People are never equal, especially not men and women, and a lot of people take their mental sanity from either surrendering their choice in certain matters to their spouse or, quite the opposite, taking all of the control. Just degrees to which that happens vary. If they're happy with the arrangement, well, y'know.

Try asking for the money for skates from grandparents for your birthday or end-of-year exams if you have those.

It just seems sort of unfair that he earns all the money and she decides how it's spent. She never says "I'll discuss buying skates for you with Dad and see what he thinks," she just straight out says she's not buying skates. Of course, they discuss mortgages/new credit company/etc., but, still.

If I don't have much money by next summer I'll ask for money for my birthday/Christmas. This coming birthday I'm planning to have my usual birthday list plus asking for "money to pay off debt to mother." Perhaps I will ask for skating things too such as tights since my current competition tights have a tear in them (why can't they make over the boot tights that actually stay in one piece for longer than five minutes?) and the fall competition is about three weeks after my birthday. My grandparents find every possible excuse to send me money, whether it be a holiday or a vacation or a special event.

Skittl1321
05-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Perhaps I will ask for skating things too such as tights since my current competition tights have a tear in them (why can't they make over the boot tights that actually stay in one piece for longer than five minutes?) and the fall competition is about three weeks after my birthday. My grandparents find every possible excuse to send me money, whether it be a holiday or a vacation or a special event.

If you look over your tights everytime you take them off, you can mend any new holes before they turn into giant runs. I always mend my OTB tights, and unless you are looking for it, you can't see the mending. Those tights are way too expensive not to fix holes in them. No reason to let them go to waste and only wear them at one competition. Really, there is no reason not to mend practice tights as well, if you are on a budget. But in that case, laziness over rides my frugalness, still it only takes a few moments.

Could you ask your grandparents for boots? Or to match your contribution towards them? Or would that upset your Mom, going behind her back to ask for money?

icestalker
05-22-2010, 08:35 PM
If you look over your tights everytime you take them off, you can mend any new holes before they turn into giant runs. I always mend my OTB tights, and unless you are looking for it, you can't see the mending. Those tights are way too expensive not to fix holes in them. No reason to let them go to waste and only wear them at one competition. Really, there is no reason not to mend practice tights as well, if you are on a budget. But in that case, laziness over rides my frugalness, still it only takes a few moments.

Could you ask your grandparents for boots? Or to match your contribution towards them? Or would that upset your Mom, going behind her back to ask for money?

Really? How do I mend them?

Actually whenever Mom is paying for something (like skating camp) she casually mentions it to my grandmother while on the phone, just to see if she offers to help pay. Sometimes she helps pay, sometimes she doesn't. But we never outright ask her for money.
They're trying not to spend as much now, actually, since they've recently updated the floors and such in their apartment and have taken several trips in the last two years to visit the latest grandbaby, so they probably wouldn't shell out $400 for boots. Though if I mentioned needing to buy new boots they might slip a little extra money than usual in the next birthday/holiday/event card. They're not rich, but they are pretty well off from various inheritances and both of their social security checks.

Skittl1321
05-22-2010, 09:11 PM

Turn them inside out. Place the two sides of the hole together, just sew it up with a whip stitch. It will make a tiny pucker, but will stretch out a bit when you put them back on. You really can't see if from the judges box/stands.

I wouldn't do this on a huge rip or a snag bigger than 1/2" or so. But whenever I catch my blade on a backspin or something, this fixes it right back up.

Sessy
05-23-2010, 03:07 AM

If you notice a tear at a competition, tip a tiny drop of clear nail polish onto the place in the tights that is beginning to run, and let it dry. Same thing can be done with hair spray. This will immediately stop the hole from running any further at all that day. At home, just stitch it by hand like Skittl replied.

RachelSk8er
05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Oh man...this whole thread is giving me horrible flashbacks of being 11-14, and if I wanted to be driven to synchro practice on Saturday morning (which started at 10:30 AM) and allowed to skate the remainder of the week, I had to wash every hardwood floor in our house beforehand. Not with a mop or any of this easy swiffer wet jet crap people have now, but down on my hands and knees with a sponge. And we lived in a 4,000 square foot house with A LOT of hardwood floors. Pretty sure that's why my knees have always been screwed up and why I can't ever manage to sleep in on Saturdays. :lol:

icestalker
05-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh man...this whole thread is giving me horrible flashbacks of being 11-14, and if I wanted to be driven to synchro practice on Saturday morning (which started at 10:30 AM) and allowed to skate the remainder of the week, I had to wash every hardwood floor in our house beforehand. Not with a mop or any of this easy swiffer wet jet crap people have now, but down on my hands and knees with a sponge. And we lived in a 4,000 square foot house with A LOT of hardwood floors. Pretty sure that's why my knees have always been screwed up and why I can't ever manage to sleep in on Saturdays. :lol:

I have to clean both bathrooms, vacuum/sweep/mop every floor, vacuum the dog bed (why can't we shave her?), and take care of the pool before I'm allowed to skate Saturday. All done with modern tools, of course. And a much smaller house. My chores suddenly sound much easier. :bow:

Query
05-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Enough whining about your chores, spoilt child. Back when I was a child I had to chop down a forest for firewood, clear the trails, pave the king's highway, and slay 3 dragons, all before breakfast.

As for shaving the poor dog naked, try doing that to a horse. Or a dragon.

So quit your complaining, and do what you have to do to make it work. Create a new sport: Horses On Ice. Or do it the old fashioned way: Marry the rink owner's son. The leper with the bad breath and the broken teeth. If ye are old enough to skate, ye are old enough to marry.

P.S. Take me not too seriously, except perhaps the first sentence of the last paragraph.

icestalker
05-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Enough whining about your chores, spoilt child. Back when I was a child I had to chop down a forest for firewood, clear the trails, pave the king's highway, and slay 3 dragons, all before breakfast.

As for shaving the poor dog naked, try doing that to a horse. Or a dragon.

So quit your complaining, and do what you have to do to make it work. Create a new sport: Horses On Ice. Or do it the old fashioned way: Marry the rink owner's son. The leper with the bad breath and the broken teeth. If ye are old enough to skate, ye are old enough to marry.

P.S. Take me not too seriously, except perhaps the first sentence of the last paragraph.

:bow:

Isn't the old fashioned way illegal? :halo:

Sessy
05-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Hehe. Well I paid for my Graf Edmontons with a job that required me to get up at 2 or 3 AM to be at work by usually about 4 AM on sundays, then work 12-16 hour shifts. Small detail, I was an adult for like four years by then. :lol:

icestalker
05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Hehe. Well I paid for my Graf Edmontons with a job that required me to get up at 2 or 3 AM to be at work by usually about 4 AM on sundays, then work 12-16 hour shifts. Small detail, I was an adult for like four years by then. :lol:

An adult with transportation, too. I can transport myself, either by bike or by bus system, but noooo, somebody's gonna kidnap me, after all, we live in crime riddled Florida. Perhaps I should ask my mom if I can transport myself as long as I dress up in boy pants and a big hoodie, and tuck up my hair in a helmet or hat. That'd get a reaction!

Hmm.. I don't know if I've ever gotten up at 3.. I used to get up at 5:30 for public school (for six years straight), and I thought that was awful :lol:

Forgot to mention the money I get from the fair and selling my hog. I get premiums for quality of hog and project book, and I usually get $27 from that, and the Grand Champion gets a premium of $75.. that'd help out! $75! Of course, there's 150 kids all competing for Grand Champion. A year ago I made a profit of $400 selling the hog, when I asked my mom about it, she said it was college money. (I worked my butt off exercising that hog and I can't spend it on something worthwhile and needed like skates?) Maybe if I get a bigger profit this year she will let me keep some of it. The only thing I need for college is money for books. Florida has a great scholarship program that covers nearly 100% of the tuition if you meet the GPA and SAT standards, which will be more than easy for me.

Of course, if we're still in Florida in four years. My skating will die if I do not have my coach to give me a Just-do-it-before-I-seriously-kick-your-butt look.

Sessy
05-27-2010, 08:23 AM
An adult with transportation, too. I can transport myself, either by bike or by bus system, but noooo, somebody's gonna kidnap me, after all, we live in crime riddled Florida. Perhaps I should ask my mom if I can transport myself as long as I dress up in boy pants and a big hoodie, and tuck up my hair in a helmet or hat. That'd get a reaction!

Without it, actually. I had to cycle and wait at a gas station by the edge of the highway where colleagues picked me up, the gas station had camera's but no personnel at that time of night. Yeah mom wasn't happy with the job but I was living on my own so... Plus, for a student job, you really can't beat averaging over 150 euro a day. Unless you want to uh, seek less reputable employments. 8O

The boy pants and hoodie is a good idea. I was harassed and even assaulted twice on the street when I was younger and I can honestly say that stopped once I started wearing heavy metal stuff with spiked gloves and big leather jackets and military uniform type pants and all that kinda stuff... It's sort of not my style anymore but darn it really does work (especially the spiked biker gloves... I have *never* even been approached by drunk dudes wearing those gloves) so I keep them around. I guess it doesn't fit the pervs fantasies or something when you're not looking sexy and innocent, or maybe they're looking for easy prey, I don't know. And I've always said it and I'll keep saying it, the two main things any girl can do to protect herself is to not wear heels and not get drunk. Taking some martial arts certainly won't hurt though. Of the girls who do both martial arts and skating, it seems karate does something for the jumps, btw. From a defensive point of view I'd go with a specialised self-defence-for-girls course though, they tend to teach how to fight "dirty" (as opposed to other martial arts teaching fair) against larger opponents, which is useful. The once-a-week lessons can yield quite a lot actually if you practice at home, has been my experience. In part, it's not even about whether or not you can defend yourself - if someone REALLY wants to get you, they will. Statistically speaking however, various kinds of assailants tend to flee if the victim puts up a good fight (becomes too dangerous for them), and also, they select their victims based on things like looking insecure about themselves and all that. Doing certain stuff and not doing other stuff can actually very significantly reduce your risk of being assaulted. You can probably google all of those tips but if you want to continue this discussion please PM me :)