View Full Version : Adults competing against kids?

RachelSk8er
03-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Has anyone here ever competed against kids/teens as an adult skater?

I've done it in dance, where it's really not a big deal. Steps are the same and age really isn't an issue.

But this past weekend, my silver free event was cancelled at our local competition because I was the only one to sign up. After watching open juv (age 13 and up, no upper age cap, must have pre-juv or juv free) and the oldest group of pre-juv, I wish I had asked to be moved into one or the other. I would have been 10-12 yrs older than the oldest skater out there (they were all in high school), but it would have been an opportunity to get another performance under my belt without having to travel. I wouldn't have cared if I got beat by all the kids because it would have just been more for the experience, although after watching both of these groups I totally would have held my own in either group (only 1 of the 4 open juvs landed a double, none were clean on their axels, and only 1 of the pre-juvs had a clean axel). I skate on sessions with most of the teenagers in both events and the parents know me, I'm usually in the same group with them at test sessions. (The kids actually look up to me and think I'm cool...obviously they don't know what cool is.) I don't think anyone would have cared if a 28 yr old were out there. Maybe next year this might be a good way to compete more without having to travel. I test standard track, so having the right tests isn't an issue for me.

It might also be good to see how I score under IJS, since some competitions use it for open juv.

And at the very least, I think it's a good way to demonstrate "look, you can still skate when you're an adult!" After all, these high school kids who are competing, regardless of what level, will be our age class I adult skaters before we know it.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with this? (I know I've seen a few masters skaters doing it to see how their programs are scored under IJS but a 20-something competing senior is different than a 20-something competing pre-juv).

Parents/coaches, how would you feel if your teenage skater were competing against someone in their mid-late 20s who, test-wise, was at the appropriate level (provided there was no equivalent adult event offered, or it was cancelled due to lack of entries)?

Isk8NYC
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure where the crossover points are - there's a sticky at the top of this forum list for link. One of them includes the USFSA standard to adult track crossovers for (I think) Adult Nats. Each competition form includes their own restrictions as well, so read carefully. I read one last week that said skaters who have ANY standard/adult tests cannot compete in Basic Skills events.

When I competed back in the 1980's, I had to skate against 12 years olds in my one-and-only USFSA competiton because there WAS NOTHING ELSE for adults to do. After I skated, one of the judges came to me and said that they could not give me a win because of my age. Discrimination? Absolutely! That's why I didn't test or compete in USFSA any further. I went the ISI route and had a great time. You're fortunate that rules have evolved so that you could be offered an opportunity like this.

The disadvantages are that the younger skater's parents will think you have some sort of an advantage - size, skill, age, etc. or that you'll be a distraction to their skaters, which is dangerous on warmups. Gossip will result (regardless of how much you think they like you) and you will be forging new territory.

The advantage is your maturity and probably preparedness. You're well liked, so people might just consider it a curiosity until you start winning. Then you might hear sandbagging allegations, lol.

SkatEn
03-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Hmm. The way I see it, if it's older kids v adults on the same level, there may not be such a big discrepancy in skills.

I think that kids v adults is rather similar to males v girls. Kids may not have developed muscles and necessary stamina in comparison to adults. There will always be talks that the adult is stronger and had more experience etc. Males will definitely have a biological advantage (given that they have went through puberty). Girls may have the stereotypical "flair for artistry"(a load of bullocks I tell you).

There will always be differences.
I'm 18 and I may mind competing against smaller bodies- better jumps, nicer spirals. And some of the younger skaters may mind that I have more strength. I competed against guys in solo compulsories under ISI, and I certainly see the advantage they have with jumps and speed. :P

The issue lies with whether the rules allow merging of similar ability groups and whether the competitors are agreeable. You could always ask what would happen if there isn't sufficient competitors...

My two cents...:)

flying~camel
03-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I competed against a kid in dance at the Grand Rapids Open in 2007 (and I beat her, much to her mother's chagrin!), but like you said, age isn't really a factor there.

When I first started competing again as an adult, I skated against the kids in Pre-Pre (this was before the minimum age for adults was changed to 21). I think my next oldest competitor was at least 8 years younger than me (I was 24 at the time) and I very rightfully came in last place.

coskater64
03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
I skated at an event in UT where the YA (young adult) was combined with gold and masters. We had a 20 y/o boy with 2A in our group, I was 40 another skater was 50 and a few more in their 30's. The boy fell on everything, fully rotated and sat, I managed 2 axels and 2 double toes, the 50 y/o did an axel and a nice double loop attempt. Needless to say the young man came in a disappointing 3rd amongst a field of women all of who could have been his mothers. He was not pleased, as he perceived he was a regional Novice contender.

If you skate and win against the children often it may foster hard feelings, if you do it once in a while to see you IJS score it might be deemed as more acceptable. The adult tracks were made to keep the adults and the children seperate, I would only skate against the children in free skate if you had no other choice. JMHO

RachelSk8er
03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Gossip will result (regardless of how much you think they like you) and you will be forging new territory.

The advantage is your maturity and probably preparedness. You're well liked, so people might just consider it a curiosity until you start winning. Then you might hear sandbagging allegations, lol.

I think that kids v adults is rather similar to males v girls. Kids may not have developed muscles and necessary stamina in comparison to adults. There will always be talks that the adult is stronger and had more experience etc. Males will definitely have a biological advantage (given that they have went through puberty). Girls may have the stereotypical "flair for artistry"(a load of bullocks I tell you).

A lot of these "kids" as I call them are 16, 17 year old young women who, in terms of size and strength, may not be physically stronger but are probably in better shape, not to mention more agile. (Oh to be 17 again.)

I wasn't planning on doing this frequently. But once a year or so when my rink hosts a competition a month before ANs, just to get another performance under my belt, or in the late summer after I have a new program choreographed so I can compete it before Peach or Buckeye, or to just get a little IJS experience, it might be worthwhile. (Or our other local silver ladies who didn't compete this year for various reasons will compete next year...or some of the bronzes will moved up...this will solve my problem, at least until I move up to gold and am the only gold in the area!)

If people would have a problem with it and want to gossip, I guess it's their problem, not mine.

Rusty Blades
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Well I am 59 and I was dumb enough to test my Introductory Interpretive 2 years ago at Nationals (and pass) which put me in a group the following year with women who were 25 years my junior ..... dumb, dumb, dumb! With a 25 year age difference and WAY more skating experience than me, I finished 10th out of 10.

Mel On Ice
03-24-2009, 05:06 PM
I competed against kids 3 times at the Grand Rapids Open, twice because they had no adult category to put me into and had me up against some 12 year olds, and once because they needed someone to compete a dance. I felt awkward about competing against kids and almost pulled out each time, but the kids looked up to me because I was a good sport, cheered them on, and they saw me as one of them.

RachelSk8er
03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
I competed against kids 3 times at the Grand Rapids Open, twice because they had no adult category to put me into and had me up against some 12 year olds, and once because they needed someone to compete a dance. I felt awkward about competing against kids and almost pulled out each time, but the kids looked up to me because I was a good sport, cheered them on, and they saw me as one of them.

That's my experience with doing dance against the "kids" (teens...whatever). I actually didn't sign up for it at our competition this weekend because I haven't really been focusing on the two pre-gold dances offered d/t ANs and trying to test the other two first, but all the younger skaters from my club had been bugging me to do it with them. Normally there is a mix of adults and younger skaters at all levels of the dances.

We were able to have a few adult events. There were 2 adult bronzes in that event, and 2 of us signed up for interp (so I at least got to do that). We were our usual adult skater selves, screaming and going nuts for our competitors. The kids/teens around were all just amazed that we can cheer for the person who we're up against, hug each other as one skater is getting on and the other is getting off, etc.

Isk8NYC
03-25-2009, 07:53 AM
If people would have a problem with it and want to gossip, I guess it's their problem, not mine.That's absolutely true and as long as you're okay with the situation, go for it!

...the kids looked up to me because I was a good sport, cheered them on, and they saw me as one of them. Bravo! ITA

pedonskates
03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I competed "as a kid" in a couple of small local competitions. They didn't have an adult gold or masters event, so I competed intermediate with the kids. One year I even did a short program. For the most part the kids totally creamed me, but my coach and I agreed that those programs were some of the best I had skated. Maybe it was motivation. Who knows??

One mom was in the stands apparently very vocally complaining that it wasn't "fair" because I'm way older. Her kid was doing double double combos and placing well at regionals in intermediate. I maybe had a nice double sal on a good day. What another mom told me is that a judge was sitting there and turned around and gave her a piece of her mind. She pointed out that I had a job and got to skate sporadically as compared to kids with springs for legs who get to skate hours each day. I love that lady!!!

Sessy
03-25-2009, 10:42 AM
One mom was in the stands apparently very vocally complaining that it wasn't "fair" because I'm way older. Her kid was doing double double combos and placing well at regionals in intermediate. I maybe had a nice double sal on a good day. What another mom told me is that a judge was sitting there and turned around and gave her a piece of her mind. She pointed out that I had a job and got to skate sporadically as compared to kids with springs for legs who get to skate hours each day. I love that lady!!!

:bow::bow::bow:

Sessy
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Well I am 59 and I was dumb enough to test my Introductory Interpretive 2 years ago at Nationals (and pass) which put me in a group the following year with women who were 25 years my junior ..... dumb, dumb, dumb! With a 25 year age difference and WAY more skating experience than me, I finished 10th out of 10.

Ouch. At least I was 6th out of 7 cuz the 7th one didn't bother to skate, in my comp against kids. :lol: But I did have fun doing it. :)

I do agree though that when skating against kids, you have to compare your performance to your previous performances, not theirs. I was 22, started skating a year previous and I was up against 16 year olds with foolproof axels (they weren't allowed to do more than that) and all sorts of spin combo's, and one 30-something ish lady with like 8 years of experience skating artistic competitions... Well duh! Of course I was gonna lose, lol.
On the other hand, that did mean there was no pressure at all and I skated great. No falls, centered spins, did everything I intended to, even didn't fall on a jump I had started doing 2 weeks previous to the comp (didn't check the landing and had to do a few 3 turns to come out of it but no fall). So looking at it that way... Nothing wrong with skating against kids!

blue111moon
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
I've competed against kids many times over the past 30-odd years as an adult skater.

To me, it comes down to one question: do you want to skate or do you want to win?

If you just want to get out on the ice and see what you can do on that given day and maybe get some feedback from the judges or just get some milage out of your program/dress/music or just have a good time, then it doesn't matter who you skate against. Younger, older, better, fitter, whatever; it doesn't matter because what the others do isn't your focus.

If, however, you compete in order to see where you stack up against the others in your group, then it's probably best to stick with events where competitiors are close in skill and age.

It's a mental issue, I think, more than physical.

katz in boots
03-26-2009, 02:53 AM
The announcement for our State Championships just came out. Adult divisions are for skaters aged 18+ 8O. I am 49, I'll be 50 later this year. Do I compete against kids? Depends on your definition.:roll:

I have to say I am over :evil: competing against people who are less than 1/2 my age. When I first skated I was in my early-mid 20s, and was competitive against 18 year olds (and younger). But not now.

Sometimes they split divisions according to age, ie <12 and >12 for a division, even though there's only 3 skaters cos they don't want the 14 year olds feeling bad losing to 8 year olds. I've never yet known them to do that for an adult division, like <35 & >35 or similar, regardless of how many entrants (though the most we've had in Adult Silver has been 3-4).

We also have solo dance. Last year, even though there were only 2 competitors doing dance, it got split so there was an Adult Solo Dance division - but I wonder if that will happen this year. So far they have advertised Elementary & Pre-Preliminary solo, and no option for Adult Solo Dance.

That's my rant over.

RachelSk8er
03-26-2009, 08:26 AM

Gossippy, annoying, obnoxious, snotty skating moms were part of the reason I quit freestyle when I was a kid. (Seriously, even at age 11 I never understood why they had nothing better to do than sit around the rink and talk about whose kid thiers was a better skater than, and trash talk the kids who were better than theirs.) That and the fact that gossippy, annoying, obnoxious, snotty skating moms tend to breed equally obnoxious, annoying skaters. At least when it came to synchro, our coach kept the obnoxious brats in their place and parents were not allowed in the arena when we practiced.

Skittl1321
03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
The announcement for our State Championships just came out. Adult divisions are for skaters aged 18+ 8O. I am 49, I'll be 50 later this year. Do I compete against kids? Depends on your definition.:roll:

You say "adult divisions"- does that mean you are also divided by level? Because if you want to hear "Bullsh*t" let me tell you why I don't skate in Iowa Games- adult is a "level" not an age group. Doesn't matter what adult level you are. If you're an adult, you skate against all the other adults- this year we had 3. This year, in a surprise win (haha) the pre-juv lady, who chose to compete adult instead of standard, took the gold, the prebronze lady the silver, and the brave woman, who really put herself out there because she just wanted a chance to skate alone on the ice, in Basic 4 went home with the bronze.

Yeah, it's not about winning- but when there is that much disparity, they need to be skating against the book. NO ONE should be forced to compete their backward wiggles and one foot glide against someone else with a camel and an axel. (Not to mention you are held to the time limit for your level, so the programs aren't even the same length...)

At least if you are divided by level, in theory (I know- it's a bad theory) an 18 year old prebronze skater should have the level same elements as a 50 year old one.

Clarice
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
You say "adult divisions"- does that mean you are also divided by level? Because if you want to hear "Bullsh*t" let me tell you why I don't skate in Iowa Games- adult is a "level" not an age group. Doesn't matter what adult level you are. If you're an adult, you skate against all the other adults- this year we had 3. This year, in a surprise win (haha) the pre-juv lady, who chose to compete adult instead of standard, took the gold, the prebronze lady the silver, and the brave woman, who really put herself out there because she just wanted a chance to skate alone on the ice, in Basic 4 went home with the bronze.

Yeah, it's not about winning- but when there is that much disparity, they need to be skating against the book. NO ONE should be forced to compete their backward wiggles and one foot glide against someone else with a camel and an axel. (Not to mention you are held to the time limit for your level, so the programs aren't even the same length...)

At least if you are divided by level, in theory (I know- it's a bad theory) an 18 year old prebronze skater should have the level same elements as a 50 year old one.

Yeah, the Iowa Games are pretty goofy, because most adult skaters in the state don't compete (I didn't, because I had to work.). In years when more of us competed, they did divide by level. The thing is, it's still a qualifying competition for the State Games of America, so even though those three skaters really couldn't compete "against" each other, by medaling at the Iowa Games they all qualified for the State Games of America where, if they choose to go, they will presumably get to compete against others at their own level.

Skittl1321
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah, the Iowa Games are pretty goofy, because most adult skaters in the state don't compete (I didn't, because I had to work.). In years when more of us competed, they did divide by level. The thing is, it's still a qualifying competition for the State Games of America, so even though those three skaters really couldn't compete "against" each other, by medaling at the Iowa Games they all qualified for the State Games of America where, if they choose to go, they will presumably get to compete against others at their own level.

Were you there last year? It was the same thing, though not so jarring- there were 6 adults, iirc it was something like, 1 gold, 2 silvers, 2 bronze and a no-test. The 3 higher level skaters essentially demanded that it was split into 2 events. Since it wasn't an "everyone medals" situtation- it was entirely unfair for them to be skating against bronze and no-test skaters. But the competition originally just had it as an "adult" event.

Synchro has the same issue. At ISI nationals we compete "adult"- but there are always 2 teams that are so far beyond what the other 3 or 4 teams are at.

Personally, I prefer competiting against kids. The only competition I did, I competed against the same kids in 3 events. I beat them in some, not in others. The only time it was "unfair" was actually to a child- a 5 year old who was put into "high" stroking, because she was a Delta. It was me, and 2 other FS3 skaters against her. On muscle development alone, she had no chance. (I got 2nd in that one- meaning I beat one kid my age, and lost to another.)

Clarice
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Were you there last year? It was the same thing, though not so jarring- there were 6 adults, iirc it was something like, 1 gold, 2 silvers, 2 bronze and a no-test. The 3 higher level skaters essentially demanded that it was split into 2 events. Since it wasn't an "everyone medals" situtation- it was entirely unfair for them to be skating against bronze and no-test skaters. But the competition originally just had it as an "adult" event.

No, I was last able to do it two years ago. It's always like that, though - just an "adult" event that gets subdivided pretty much on the spot so that more people can qualify.

jskater49
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM

I think you may be talking about the Winter Iowa games because I'm in charge of the Summer Games and we didn't have that situation. The problem is there aren't enough adults signing up. If we had enough, I'd group them by age.

And there is no such thing as skating against the book. If you are the only one in your group, you get a gold medal even if your whole program is a human zamboni - so that's pretty much worthless.

joelle

liz_on_ice
03-26-2009, 07:51 PM
And there is no such thing as skating against the book. If you are the only one in your group, you get a gold medal even if your whole program is a human zamboni - so that's pretty much worthless.

joelle

That's something ISI does well - although I'd hate to lose in a field of just me :)

twokidsskatemom
03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
I think you may be talking about the Winter Iowa games because I'm in charge of the Summer Games and we didn't have that situation. The problem is there aren't enough adults signing up. If we had enough, I'd group them by age.

joelle That is funny. My kids just skated with the book in ISI and both got second in their comp programs. I have no clue why people think with the book means first place.Its doesnt in ISI.
USFSA did change which is why you ask to skate up a level or combine age groups.
That said, my kids have always been with older kids and adults.The adults here dont mind, and as my daughter coach says, its called a competion for a reason!

Isk8NYC
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
The ISI printed a clarification in their Jan/Feb 2009 issue:

Testing Against the Book
It is important for ISI coaches to know that when judging a skater “against the book” in a competition, the skater must demonstrate the passing test standard on each element to receive a first place, which is reflected in a score of 8.0.

When giving a Freestyle test, however, the score for the minimum passing standard is a 5.0.

I always thought of "skating against the book" in ISI like being graded in school: you need to get a "B" or better.

twokidsskatemom
03-27-2009, 01:11 AM
The ISI printed a clarification in their Jan/Feb 2009 issue:

I always thought of "skating against the book" in ISI like being graded in school: you need to get a "B" or better.

That is why its harder to be against the book.
If you have two skaters you can place first and not even have a good skate. You just need to be better than skater B. When you are alone, you need 8s or above.My daughter put her hand down on her double sal, which is why the second place.My son didnt land his axel not cheated, so he had 8s from two judges and 7 from the third judge. Second place, even though he had first in his fs program.
We watched a boy in fs 6th place second as well, bad bad camel.
That is why we try and have both kids either skate up or let them skate with older kids. We dont care about the placement, more about the experience of being out there.

katz in boots
03-27-2009, 03:07 AM
You say "adult divisions"- does that mean you are also divided by level? Because if you want to hear "Bullsh*t" let me tell you why I don't skate in Iowa Games- adult is a "level" not an age group. Doesn't matter what adult level you are. If you're an adult, you skate against all the other adults- this year we had 3.

:giveup: Okay, you win, that is way weirder. We are at least split by standard. :giveup:

Skittl1321
03-27-2009, 07:37 AM

joelle

Yes- winter games, not summer. I have no experience with summer. Sorry I forgot to clarify.

I guess it seems to me that if the Novice event, the Junior event, and the Open Pre-Juv can all be one skater against the book than "Adult- Basic Skills" could be as well. I think it's just as worthless to get a bronze metal when you are competiting against unbeatable competition because they are so far ahead of you skill wise that they could just do edges and still win, as to be given a gold because you are the only one in the event. It makes sense to combine levels that are close to each other, but "Adult" is not a skill level.

jskater49
03-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes- winter games, not summer. I have no experience with summer. Sorry I forgot to clarify.

I guess it seems to me that if the Novice event, the Junior event, and the Open Pre-Juv can all be one skater against the book than "Adult- Basic Skills" could be as well. I think it's just as worthless to get a bronze metal when you are competiting against unbeatable competition because they are so far ahead of you skill wise that they could just do edges and still win, as to be given a gold because you are the only one in the event. It makes sense to combine levels that are close to each other, but "Adult" is not a skill level.

Oh I didn't quite understand what you are saying. That's not just Iowa Games. I've been to lots of competitions where there were not enough adults to split us into levels so I had to compete against Bronze and Silver skaters. Oh well. For me I don't care because most bre-bronze skaters will beat me so it really doesn't matter who beats me.

I dont' know what the committee is supposed to do because frankly I'd rather compete in a group than go out there by myself and skate for absolutely no reason. I wish they'd bring back skating against the book. When they had that when I was running a comp I'd put skaters out by level against the book. But now that there's no against the book, I'm going to combine levels. I have no choice. If more adults would compete, then this would not be a problem.

j

Kristin
04-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Has anyone here ever competed against kids/teens as an adult skater?

I have competed against kid skaters a few times: once in an interp event when there were no other adults (I got a 6th out of 8), another time in solo ice dance where I won, and the 3rd time in a team compulsory where our team had 3 adults + 1 kid. We got a 2nd out of 5th and some of the other "kid" teams were complaining, saying that the team with the "old ladies" on it shouldn't have place so highly, LOL! Let's hear it for the ADULT TEAM! LOL. Either way, we had fun doing it. :)

The good thing about interp or ice dance is that the jumps/spins aren't so much of an issue so it is more of an even playing field. I guess the problems we run into is that the kids are allowed to do much higher jumps at lower levels vs. the adults where it is very limited up to Gold. Having said that, it isn't all about the jumps either, and I have seen some adult skaters who have gorgeous flow due to having a high level in ice dance so they can definitely hold their own, even without the high level jumps. No reason not to compete with the kids if that is your own option. At least you get to perform! :)

starskate6.0
04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Im at Gold level in the Adult track. Anyone know what level i would skate at if I was to skate against the kids on the regular track.?
Just curious. Id probably get killed but for me, skating for ones self is more than winning. In fact Id prefer to get some constructive comments from the judges than walk away with a medal. Might be fun to try this some day. Iv got at least 3 doubles ( on a good day)but the spins are a bit sad:cry: and all this on a good day. :lol: Im happy to say that the kids at my rink treat me like an equal and see me as a competitive skater and friend. Some are World Champions now so I guess Im no threat to them :lol:. I think they respect me because Im a danger to every one on the ice when i do get out there :lol::lol:

Anyway, its a lot of fun and I love being a part of the group . Maybe Ill try this some day , Im working on a death drop now ( If I don't die in the process . Im still young kid by the way,
Just 49 years young..

RachelSk8er
04-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Im at Gold level in the Adult track. Anyone know what level i would skate at if I was to skate against the kids on the regular track.?
Just curious. Id probably get killed but for me, skating for ones self is more than winning. In fact Id prefer to get some constructive comments from the judges than walk away with a medal. Might be fun to try this some day. Iv got at least 3 doubles ( on a good day)but the spins are a bit sad:cry: and all this on a good day. :lol: Im happy to say that the kids at my rink treat me like an equal and see me as a competitive skater and friend. Some are World Champions now so I guess Im no threat to them :lol:. I think they respect me because Im a danger to every one on the ice when i do get out there :lol::lol:

Anyway, its a lot of fun and I love being a part of the group . Maybe Ill try this some day , Im working on a death drop now ( If I don't die in the process . Im still young kid by the way,
Just 49 years young..

If you have adult gold and no standard tests, you may not be able to compete standard track against kids. If you have standard tests you can compete at whatever level you are or one higher (i.e. if you have juvenile free in addition to your adult gold, you can compete open juvenile or "skate up" in intermediate provided there are no upper age limits for these levels on the competition entry form).

If you do compete open juv, make sure it will be IJS. I've seen a lot of competitiosn where juv was IJS but open juv was still 6.0. (Hence why you may have to skate up in intermediate if you want an IJS score).

If you don't have standard tests, ask the referee of the competition if you can compete open juvenile or intermediate with your adult gold. They may also be willing to let you, or they may let you have your own event (all by yourself) to get an IJS critique or even a score if that's what your goal is.

Skate@Delaware
04-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh I didn't quite understand what you are saying. That's not just Iowa Games. I've been to lots of competitions where there were not enough adults to split us into levels so I had to compete against Bronze and Silver skaters. Oh well. For me I don't care because most bre-bronze skaters will beat me so it really doesn't matter who beats me.

I dont' know what the committee is supposed to do because frankly I'd rather compete in a group than go out there by myself and skate for absolutely no reason. I wish they'd bring back skating against the book. When they had that when I was running a comp I'd put skaters out by level against the book. But now that there's no against the book, I'm going to combine levels. I have no choice. If more adults would compete, then this would not be a problem.

j
I'm guessing you are talking USFS? I skate against the book at ISI comps. My last competition, there was only one other lady about my age competing but she was one level up so even then, there was no way we could compete against each other.

starskate6.0
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info Crew

Very interesting . I think Ill stick to the adult track . If I test again it will only be to achieve some victories for myself to convince myslef I can skate after all. :lol: Im not sure id feel comfortable out there with the conventional kids anyway. I think Id get stranger looks that i get already when i skate.. :lol:

Thanks again for the info.

RachelSk8er
04-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info Crew

Very interesting . I think Ill stick to the adult track . If I test again it will only be to achieve some victories for myself to convince myslef I can skate after all. :lol: Im not sure id feel comfortable out there with the conventional kids anyway. I think Id get stranger looks that i get already when i skate.. :lol:

Thanks again for the info.

If your "kids" you'd be competing against at that level are anything like the ones I'd be competing against at local competitions here, they aren't really kids but young ladies. Our oldest pre-juv group and our open juv group at competitions are usually 16-19 yr olds who haven't been skating long in comparison to the kids their age who are much higher level. They're active in other sports at school and skating is another thing they do for fun. (And they're our future silver/gold I ladies--they're all excited about opportunities they will have as adult skaters, they ask me about adult competitions all the time.) I'd feel strange competing against 10 yr olds, but I don't think jumping in a group with these girls would be a big deal. Most of them think I'm much closer to their age than I really am anyway, they all insist that I'm "23 at the most, maybe 24" and that I lie when I say I'm 28 (god I love the kids at my rink).

I know you have more of an age gap between teenagers, but if you're just there to get a critique/IJS score, I don't think it's a big deal. If anything, you'll have them wondering why their mom isn't out there doing a double toe and a double sal, too!

jskater49
04-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm guessing you are talking USFS? I skate against the book at ISI comps. My last competition, there was only one other lady about my age competing but she was one level up so even then, there was no way we could compete against each other.

Right. They have done away with skating against the book at in USFS - if you are the only one in the group the judges have to give you first place. It's meaningless and sometimes frankly embarrassing.

j