View Full Version : Empty rink syndrome

kander
11-22-2008, 01:09 AM
I have found that I have a harder time skating in empty rinks rather than crowded sessions. I think it's because I tend to speed up on the empty ice and it throws my timing off since I'm used to weaving around people.

katz in boots
11-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Ah, the luxury of the empty rink! So rare, so expensive if you have to buy it.

Actually, much as I crave the rink all to myself, I have to admit I prefer if there is at least one other skater there. I also find that I work a lot harder because I'm not having to avoid others, so get more work done and tire sooner because of it.

As for speeding up, interesting thought. I find my personal speed is pretty constant, though coach would like that constant to be faster.:roll:

Scarlett
11-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Personally, I hate skating in empty rinks. I find I don't work as hard as I really miss the social aspect. I don't need to talk but I need another body present.

I love it when there is one or two skaters on the ice. I find that is when I work the hardest and get the greatest enjoyment out of the practice session.

Bill_S
11-22-2008, 08:15 AM
I, too, feel unmotivated if I'm the only one on the ice. It's especially dreary in the early mornings when motivation of any sort is hard to come by.

Having a coach push you is one solution to the problem - at the very least it's another person on the ice. However, I've been coachless for the past couple years. While saving money, my skills and motivation have both slipped.

Mrs Redboots
11-22-2008, 08:19 AM
I hate being totally alone.

On the other hand, when it's just husband and me, and the music is working..... oh, now that is totally marvellous! We love that. Doesn't happen often, mind, but once in a blue moon.

Mel On Ice
11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't like skating completely alone either, but love it when there's only about 5 of us.

Isk8NYC
11-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I also like a few people on the ice. Keeps me from talking to myself...:roll:

mikawendy
11-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I know what you mean! I usually feel more charged up and energetic if there are a reasonable amount of people on the session. Having other people on the ice also helps me gauge my speed (in relation to them).

Sometimes I like an empty rink, like if I'm trying to do run throughs of my FS program, or if I want to play with stuff that uses a lot of ice and that are hard to do on crowded sessions, like back spirals or (attempts at) hydroblade moves. But usually when it's too empty, I have to really work hard to stay energetic during the session.

peanutskates
11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
i'm way too self conscious if i'm completely alone. the best skate I've ever had was when it was just me and a small section of the ice coned off for a mommy and me class :) on one hand, not completely alone, on the other hand no one gets in the way/you don't think you're getting in the way of someone's triple lutz...

jazzpants
11-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I can't skate alone either. Not motivated as much to skate well... not even when I'm running thru my program too!!!

Of course, the few times that I did like skating with very few people is at our NYC meetups!!! I will also add that my FS sessions for the most part is fun too, mainly b/c most of the skaters there are better skaters than me... If there's a kid or two in there that's really good and I'm friendly with her/him, it does motivate me to push harder at times. ("Auntie Jazzpants" isn't gonna just stand there and watch!!! :twisted: )

Rusty Blades
11-22-2008, 05:45 PM
An empty rink ..... a fresh flood ..... the sound system all to myself ..... not having to look behind me .... knowing where the boards are just by the sound .... skating with eyes half closed, lost in the sensations .... OH NIRVANA!

If I were filthy rich, I would skate 3/4 of the time alone and do all my lessons in an empty rink. Heck, if I was filthy rich, my LIVING ROOM would be a rink! 8O

liz_on_ice
11-22-2008, 06:34 PM
An empty rink ..... a fresh flood ..... the sound system all to myself ..... not having to look behind me .... knowing where the boards are just by the sound .... skating with eyes half closed, lost in the sensations .... OH NIRVANA!

If I were filthy rich, I would skate 3/4 of the time alone and do all my lessons in an empty rink. Heck, if I was filthy rich, my LIVING ROOM would be a rink! 8O

I'm so there. I need social sessions also to keep going, but a rink all to myself in the early morning is a wonderful luxury. Put some tragic ballad on the sound system and do long languid back spirals the length of the rink. Practice going down and sliding tragically across the ice. Switch to something bouncy and jump anywhere I darn please, right with the beat. - experiment with weird entrances and transitions, anything I can think of and no one to see me look stupid. Bliss :D

Skate@Delaware
11-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I guess skating with other people tends to keep you on your toes a bit more...knowing that they may see you mess up keeps you skating better (at least for me).

That being said-when I hit the rink on thursday afternoons, I'm usually the only one there (for $5 too, what a deal!) so I have to motivate myself to skate well. I tend to push myself hard.

On the other hand, I do have the awful thought...if I fell and got knocked out, how long would I lay on the cold hard ice before they noticed me????? yikes!!! So I try to skate well so I don't wipe out. More pressure.

Empty ice is nice for working back spirals-no worries of decapitating little kids.

Kim to the Max
11-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I am split on this....on the one hand, empty ice is sooooo nice because I can do my moves patterns without injuring anyone or run through my program easily...however, there is that social/motivation factor...seeing others skate pushes me to go faster and to push harder....for example...one of the girls at the rink is getting on my case because "can't you just land your axel already?" <<think 12 year old, hands on hips, full of attitude>> because my axel is this >< close...I wouldn't get that if I was only skating on empty ice...My favorite was this summer when coach and I would go and skate (no lesson) on empty ice on campus here...it was wonderful :)

slusher
11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
On the other hand, I do have the awful thought...if I fell and got knocked out, how long would I lay on the cold hard ice before they noticed me????? yikes!!! So I try to skate well so I don't wipe out. More pressure.

That's exactly my thought too. I get empty ice a couple of times a week (uh, don't ask how) and there's is no one in the building except the rink guy who I always suspect is taking the zam for a run to the donut shop drive through :P If I splat, it could be an hour before someone notices.

singerskates
11-22-2008, 11:28 PM
I usually skate on city ice (it's what they call it but it's pay as you go ice [$7 for 2 hours on Wednesdays & Thursdays and for the same price you get 3 hours on Fridays] during the school/work day ice) in my city which is held on the same ice my club uses weekday evenings and Saturdays. City ice can range from just me to another 5 to 6 skaters who take time off from school to train because of upcoming competitions and sometimes a university student who once was a competitive skater who then turned StarSkater who now is just skating for the fun of it.

Sometimes I like to skate alone or just with my coach because then I don't have to worry about the competitive kids (ranges from Juvenile to Junior level) wipping by me (especially for the first few months of the year, when we all have new programs and no one knows the pattern of the others' programs). I also can practice my spiral sequences to my hearts content and now worry about them getting in my way or vice versa.

But then if it's just me and my coach doesn't have his CD player with him, I can't skate to my music during run throughs. So I do like to have some other skaters on the ice with me too.

One problem with the city ice until the end of December is that the rink is not at least NHL size which I need to train for competitions. For that I skate once and a while in the town next door to the city in which I live where I only have to pay $2.25 for an hour and half from 1 pm to 2:30 pm (sometimes they let you stay on longer: note that it use to be only on Mondays and Thursdays but now the 1 pm to 2:30 pm is available from Monday to Thurday for their NHL size ice. Usually there's only me and one other skater besides me and my coach. My coach usually brings his CD player for that rink. But on Thursdaymy coach and I were tweaking my skates to finally get the right fit for me at the rink, so running through my program wasn't on the plan for the day.

kimberley801
11-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Empty rinks are nice for MITF patterns, but I get bored very easily. Having a few others on the ice with a mixed set of skills is where I excel. I don't like to be the worst skater, and don't like to be the absolute best of the bunch (too many people watching and saying "oooh! look at her!!", which is when I immediately unintentionally mess up whatever move I'm working on :evil:).

I mostly enjoy the social aspect, to watch and learn, and help others out with skills.

Figureskates
11-23-2008, 04:34 AM
An empty rink is ideal for me. I drag out the scribe and I can in the course to an hour and a half basically fill the entire ice surface with tracings...

Sessy
11-23-2008, 07:16 AM
i like the rink empty: backward biellmanns practice time! and MIF patterns.

unfortunately I've never seen it empty for more than 15 minutes.

Bill_S
11-23-2008, 08:20 AM
An empty rink is ideal for me. I drag out the scribe and I can in the course to an hour and a half basically fill the entire ice surface with tracings...

My second coach apparently enjoyed an empty rink for exactly the same reason. He'd show up at 5:30 am before the rink opened for business and practice his figures. Once I went to the mezzanine overlook and saw the patterns he was making (without a scribe) and was amazed. He'd offset one pattern by about 6 inches from the previous one and repeat it. The effect looked something like this...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/figure_pattern.gif

It didn't look humanly possible to be that precise.

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2008, 09:27 AM
WOW!!!!

I asked before about using my scribe and doing figures...but so far, they don't want me to. Even on empty ice :?????? I'll keep asking.

slusher
11-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Going off topic a bit, I don't do figures on a regular basis but used to have lessons on them and since we didn't have a scribe where we were, my coach taught me how to mark out the boundaries of a circle my size with steps, does this sound familiar? I had never ever done that, it was always scribed. Once I hit my first circle it's essentially traced. And taught me even more body control and flow :) Even doing skills these days, my patterns lay over each other within inches, five or six of that scrapey annoying turn spot :frus: within six inches of each other.

I do love it when I get an empty rink that's just been resurfaced. I deliberately skate on it in a way to make a pattern, like art. I had the Willow Waltz laid out once, like it looked in the book.

sexyskates
11-23-2008, 09:48 PM
I LOVE empty ice! I go right for multiple program runthroughs, and then MITF and my compulsory dances. I find I work extra hard when there are no distractions and no one hanging in the Lutz corners! Aaaah! The luxury of private ice!

icedancer2
11-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Going off topic a bit, I don't do figures on a regular basis but used to have lessons on them and since we didn't have a scribe where we were, my coach taught me how to mark out the boundaries of a circle my size with steps, does this sound familiar? I had never ever done that, it was always scribed. Once I hit my first circle it's essentially traced. And taught me even more body control and flow :) Even doing skills these days, my patterns lay over each other within inches, five or six of that scrapey annoying turn spot :frus: within six inches of each other.

I never use a scribe (I don't like to bend over that much!) - You learn to set up your circles next to a line or mark them out by stepping them out - and eventually you can see where to line up your circles.

I guess when I was growing up there was only one scribe and so we almost never used it. I guess I'm of the opinion that it is better that way.

And put me in the camp that likes empty ice - so I can do figures and dance patterns and all of that - sure, yeah, it can get boring, but there is always something more to work on.

icedancer2, always looking for that empty ice during the day...

Isk8NYC
11-24-2008, 07:44 AM
I bought a scribe last year, just to have it. I've used it a few times, but not often -- it's easier to step-measure. Someone on this site suggested using the scribe to check the figure size/shape after you skate them. Makes sense.

Our patches went across the rink width, so instead of laying side-by-side the way Bill_S illustrated, our figures would be overlapping the other way.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/Skating/FigureCircles.jpg

I think someone on this board was starting a figures site. Maybe they'll give us the link.

Last night, during a particularly boring supermarket trip, one of the twins said "Is there a skating session today? Can we go?" It was too late at that point, but I'm pleased that they made the request.

Isk8NYC
11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
This is totally off-topic but ...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/2520761123_82060d4968.jpg?v=0

You should NEVER skate alone on a pond or lake.

At rinks, at the very least, the zam driver will find you if you fall while skating alone.

liz_on_ice
11-24-2008, 02:49 PM

At rinks, at the very least, the zam driver will find you if you fall while skating alone.

and you should also never ever skate where there are wild polar bears

Isk8NYC
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
and you should also never ever skate where there are wild polar bears
Hmmm...could a fast skater outrun a polar bear? (Guess you'd have nowhere to go if you did make it across.)

I think a good spin could do some serious blubber damage, lol.

liz_on_ice
11-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Hmmm...could a fast skater outrun a polar bear? (Guess you'd have nowhere to go if you did make it across.)

How about: if you insist on skating where there are polar bears, always skate with a buddy. Who is slower than you.

Thin-Ice
11-25-2008, 02:23 AM

The question at SOME rinks though is how long it will take him/her to find you.... at one former rink, it could have been hours!:roll:

Thin-Ice
11-25-2008, 02:24 AM

According to the San Diego Zoo, polar bears can run 25 miles an hour for short distances (less than a half mile). I don't know about you.. but if I EVER skate 25 miles an hour, I'm hanging up my figure/freestyle skates and going into speed skates!:lol:

flo
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Yikes! Maybe put the bear on skates to give the skater a chance!!!

I want that as a poster!

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I never use a scribe (I don't like to bend over that much!) - You learn to set up your circles next to a line or mark them out by stepping them out - and eventually you can see where to line up your circles.

I guess when I was growing up there was only one scribe and so we almost never used it. I guess I'm of the opinion that it is better that way.

And put me in the camp that likes empty ice - so I can do figures and dance patterns and all of that - sure, yeah, it can get boring, but there is always something more to work on.

icedancer2, always looking for that empty ice during the day...
I have a hard time getting my right circle the same as my left (waltz-8)...and yes I do use a line at times for a starting point. My coach has me do them all over the ice "just in case you have to start somewhere else-you will not freak out"

My latest try has been to use the smaller hockey circle and try to get my sides even. If I skate past the line it works.

ps-love the bear picture!!!

icedancer2
11-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I have a hard time getting my right circle the same as my left (waltz-8)...and yes I do use a line at times for a starting point. My coach has me do them all over the ice "just in case you have to start somewhere else-you will not freak out"

My latest try has been to use the smaller hockey circle and try to get my sides even. If I skate past the line it works.

ps-love the bear picture!!!

I think it's hard on the Waltz-8 to get even sides. What test are you going for?

I will use the blue or red line - start my figure a certain distance from the line and then when I start the first circle see how close to the line I come. Then on the other circle I will aim for that same spot. This is on an outside 8 or other similar figures. It could also work on the Waltz 8.
Basically if your body is in the correct position (!) the circles "should" be relatively even...

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I think it's hard on the Waltz-8 to get even sides. What test are you going for?

I will use the blue or red line - start my figure a certain distance from the line and then when I start the first circle see how close to the line I come. Then on the other circle I will aim for that same spot. This is on an outside 8 or other similar figures. It could also work on the Waltz 8.
Basically if your body is in the correct position (!) the circles "should" be relatively even...
I'm studying for my adult pre-bronze....

and the key word is "should" be relatively even! One side is exact the other is waaaaay off, crooked, etc. It's embarrassing! (yes I count out the steps/cadence).
Oh well I keep plucking away anyhow

Query
12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
My personal take: Skating alone is boring. There ought to be 1 - 3 other people.

There is also a temptation to work too hard, and it's too easy to practice going fast, so I tire out faster.

So I usually avoid certain sessions.

But sessions with over 7 or 8 people, or with several complete newbies, are no fun either. And I hate hockey pucks on a public sessions.