View Full Version : Coaches - Caution For New Students?

dbny
05-18-2008, 07:33 PM
In the past few weeks, I know of three adults at my rink who have been injured skating. Two were real beginners, and one had been skating a long time, but no prior lessons. Today, a 70 yr old woman I know most likely broke her wrist. I could have told her a month ago that skating is a bad idea for her, because her risk of injury was great and healing is very slow at her age, but I didn't. She is not and has not been my student, although I've helped her a bit, as her daughters were my group students. I just feel awful about it. Of course it was her choice to skate, but now I'm thinking about handing out a carefully worded caution note to any new adult students I take on. Have any of you done anything like this? Is this a bad idea? I don't want to scare away business, but I also do not want to encourage a sport that has a high likelyhood of causing serious injury in a certain portion of its participants. I'm 61 myself, and know how hard it is to get on with a cast and to recover after 50. To clarify, I'm not talking about people who consider themselves skaters or who aspire to be skaters, just thinking of those who want to persue it recreationally, as in skating around and around. There are many other, safer, things they can do.

Skittl1321
05-18-2008, 08:02 PM
I teach beginning adults. I have never had any as old as you mentioned, most are in their 30s, if not younger, and are parents of children in LTS.

We do not really caution them on the dangers of the sport, though if I see their balance is lacking I recommend a helmet for the 2nd lesson (no one ever has one on the first day).

I guess my experience is that every (non-athletic- the college student at our rink who got his axel in a year doesn't count) adult is terrified of getting hurt. I have never met anyone who doesn't recognize the danger that goes along with the sport. Personally, I spend more time reassuring them that while people DO get hurt, the majority of skating accidents are not serious. I don't know what kind of warning you could give a beginner in a letter that wouldn't just be fear mongering, because for every broken wrist, rib, or ankle, there are thousands of falls that don't hurt or only bother you for a few days.

Clarice
05-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Three adults on my synchro team have had injuries involving broken bones - one wrist, one arm, and one leg. All were injured skating, although not during synchro. One woman is in her 40s, the man is over 60, the other woman is somewhere in between - closer to 60 than 40. They're all beginning skaters, and the injuries have affected their confidence to some degree. All did come back to skating, though.

We have not seen anywhere near these kinds of injuries with the kids, although they fall more often. I wonder whether this might be part of the issue? I seldom see adult skaters fall. I've learned to fall without trying to catch myself with my hands. Maybe adults who don't fall much don't get over that reflex and so are particularly vulnerable to broken wrists?

That said, we have a gent at our rink who is in his mid-80s and still skates practically every day. Granted, he's been skating for years, but at his age he is pretty fragile. He seems to know his limits, though - he takes frequent breaks, and gets off the ice if the session is too crowded.

kayskate
05-18-2008, 09:16 PM
I also teach adults, though the oldest are in their 40s, early 50s at the most. I assume these are group students. If so, they are probably receiving the same paperwork or release everyone else gets. If they are private, follow the same procedure as w your other privates.

I teach them to fall, stop, and do all of the basic moves kids learn in the LtS classes. I'm sure you do the same. I go a little slower w adults; though, IMO, they learn faster than typical LtS kids. This may be b/c they have longer attn spans &/or are more dedicated, etc. I have suggested helmets, crash gear, etc. I have also given the speech about the low probability of a fall resulting in serious injury. I went 30+ yrs before breaking anything. As adults, I tell them to skate w their heads. Don't skate faster than you can stop, etc. Good common sense stuff. I think it is enough, at least it works for me.

Kay

dbny
05-18-2008, 11:08 PM
OK. Thanks for your input. I've made up my mind. I'm not going to encourage anyone over 50 who has never skated before (any kind of skating) and is not athletic.

dbny
05-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I assume these are group students. If so, they are probably receiving the same paperwork or release everyone else gets.

Some group, some private.

quarkiki2
05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Ugh -- I was at the rink when an adult beginner (probably late 50s) broke her wrist. On her writing hand. It wasn't pretty and I, honestly, wasn't surprised she had a bad fall. I assisted with that class occasionally and she seemed to be a very competitive type-A person -- a younger adult was taking the class with her and picking stuff up more quickly, but the older woman was very determined that she progress as quickly, even though she didn't have the balance, strength, or flexibility. Clearly her mind was willing, but her body was not. She hasn't been back...

There was another adult, probably closer to 65, who tried, too. She took an 8 week session and 4 weeks of another session and she never progressed beyond the "beginner shuffle." She spent hours going around the rink, holding the wall, panicking every time she let go. After 12 weeks, she finally decided that no matter how many different types of skates and combinations of padding she used, she wasn't ever going to be comfortable on the ice. I was sooo relieved when she stopped coming -- I really feared for her. And then the next week, her classmate (above) broke her wrist.

All LTS skaters do sign a waiver and the above fall, no one was negligent -- she just caught a toepick and went down badly. But I do have to say that I always worry 100x more for adults who are clearly wobbly/scared than I do when kids are out there and wobbly/scared. And that includes my own toddler -- when he falls, he's totally relaxed, just whoosh! and he's on his bum, no harm, no foul.

Although you can't STOP an adult skater from giving it a go, I really wish that there was some sort of aptitude test that weeded out the scary-scary beginners -- like, if you can't make a lap away from the wall, you really shouldn't think of this as a viable activity.

CanAmSk8ter
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM
You know, I had never thought about that before. I don't think I've ever had a student beyond their forties who hadn't skated before, at least on ponds as a kid or with their kids. My dad is 58, and my mom and I were just discussing a few months ago how we wish we had gotten him on the ice years ago, but we agreed it probably wouldn't be safe for him to start now (he's skated twice in his life, most recently in college, and is not super-coordinated).

Having not taught any older-than-usual adult beginners, I'd have to say the one who have worried me the most are the ones who are significantly overweight. Skating is a great way to get exercise and lose weight, but someone who's been very sedentary isn't likely to have the coordination and balance needed to learn to skate from scratch. It also makes it less likely that an instructor is going to be able to ease you into a fall more gently. I give heavy people all the credit in the world for getting out there and making the effort, but doing a few months of walking to get in better shape and yoga to improve coordination and balance will make it easier when you do get on the ice. More importantly, you'll be safer.

blue111moon
05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
My mother started lessons in her mid-seventies and did fine. She was legally blind, wore thick clothing and a thick knit hat and skated in the beginner group with the little kids (who LOVED her and watched out for her). She did fall a few times but was never hurt and she had the time of her life until she got stuck on mohawks and got too frustrated. I think she was 79 when she finally put the skates away for good.

Personally I never discourage anyone from trying skating regardless of their age. This past year I had a 30-year-old man who was more terrified of falling than the 55-year-old grandmother in the class with him. They both did fine eventually. And they had fun, which is why 90% of people take up skating in the first place.

Also having started skating as an adult myself, I know - and I think most beginning adults know - that injury is a possibility in skating. I've had relatively few on-ice injuries myself (three in 25+ years). Also being in my 50s myself, I know that injuries can happen just about anywhere.

The first thing I insist all my adults learn is how to fall. I do it off-ice first and then on ice first thing every week. They don't like it and they complain but it's the one thing I'm adamant about. It's also an opportunity to get in a little safety lecture - sooner or later everybody falls; you must know how. Then, when that first unexpected fall comes, they're not so traumatized. (It works with the little kids, too.)

Also, as an AARP member, I'd like to say that there's nothing more offensive than being told you're "too old" to try something, or even just getting that vibe from an instructor. So coaches, please be careful. You can't judge what another person is capable of by their age and you shouldn't treat people differently just because they're older.

BatikatII
05-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Accidents can happen anywhere and I know as many if not more skaters who have had bad accidents (i.e breaking something) outside of skating than from skating itself.

As long as people are aware there are risks - as with any activity, even getting out of bed (don't most accidents happen in the home?) - then I don't think age should be any barrier to giving it a go. The people whose lives are probaby most affected by breaking something are probably those younger people with kids. At least the older people are probably not needing to look after anyone but themselves.:D

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2008, 08:02 AM
The vast majority of skaters who skate at the same time as I do are in their 50s or older. Most of us will probably never be gold-level skaters, but we have great fun trying, and that's what matters. Most of the people I was skating with this morning started skating in their 40s or 50s, but haven't let that put them off.

One beginner is legally blind, although she does have some vision - she spent the first two years skating round clinging to her coach's arm, and even now doesn't get on much before her lesson or stay on much after it. She is beginning to strike out on her own now, though, and it's lovely to see!

I think that there should be no maximum age to start skating; if group lessons aren't suitable, private lessons will be.

Isk8NYC
05-20-2008, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone they shouldn't take a risk because of their age. I'd probably get a lecture about age discrimination. Other than a caution to wear a helmet and padding, I wouldn't dwell on it too much. Definitely not a handout unless it's a welcoming item with a small "awareness" message.

isakswings
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
My mother started lessons in her mid-seventies and did fine. She was legally blind, wore thick clothing and a thick knit hat and skated in the beginner group with the little kids (who LOVED her and watched out for her). She did fall a few times but was never hurt and she had the time of her life until she got stuck on mohawks and got too frustrated. I think she was 79 when she finally put the skates away for good.

Personally I never discourage anyone from trying skating regardless of their age. This past year I had a 30-year-old man who was more terrified of falling than the 55-year-old grandmother in the class with him. They both did fine eventually. And they had fun, which is why 90% of people take up skating in the first place.

Also having started skating as an adult myself, I know - and I think most beginning adults know - that injury is a possibility in skating. I've had relatively few on-ice injuries myself (three in 25+ years). Also being in my 50s myself, I know that injuries can happen just about anywhere.

The first thing I insist all my adults learn is how to fall. I do it off-ice first and then on ice first thing every week. They don't like it and they complain but it's the one thing I'm adamant about. It's also an opportunity to get in a little safety lecture - sooner or later everybody falls; you must know how. Then, when that first unexpected fall comes, they're not so traumatized. (It works with the little kids, too.)

Also, as an AARP member, I'd like to say that there's nothing more offensive than being told you're "too old" to try something, or even just getting that vibe from an instructor. So coaches, please be careful. You can't judge what another person is capable of by their age and you shouldn't treat people differently just because they're older.

I agree! I am in an adult LTS class and I am likely the youngest person in my class(I am 36). There are 4 of us, so we are a small group too. Most of us have fallen but only one of us got hurt enough to need a doctor and that was a woman probably in her 40's who hit her head. She did that last session and came back for more this session. We're all progressing too. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it either. Like others have mentioned, as adults we understand the risk. I worry about falling less now then I did when I resumed skating last yr after not skating for many years. I LOVE it. I love how I feel on the ice, I love the work out I get from a good skate too. It's GREAT excercize for me and it feels SOOO good when I start to "get" a new skill.

I also think people shouldn't be treated differently because of their weight. Someone mentioned over weight people and feeling the need to caution them or to suggest they prepare their bodies before taking up skating. TBH, I have a fair amount of weight to lose(I am not signifigantly over weight...but definately need to shed pleanty of weight). That said, I'm MUCH more active then my 96 pound friend. I'm in better physical condition then she is, eventhough I weigh more. Just because a person is thin doesn't make them more fit then someone who is over weight. I have a friend who is signifigantly over weight, yet she is VERY active. She rides 20+ miles on a bike, ski's, skates, walks, ect. If you're going to start cautioning over weight adults, you might as well start cautioning the skinny adults too. Weight does not indicate how active one is.

CanAmSk8ter
05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I also think people shouldn't be treated differently because of their weight. Someone mentioned over weight people and feeling the need to caution them or to suggest they prepare their bodies before taking up skating. TBH, I have a fair amount of weight to lose(I am not signifigantly over weight...but definately need to shed pleanty of weight). That said, I'm MUCH more active then my 96 pound friend. I'm in better physical condition then she is, eventhough I weigh more. Just because a person is thin doesn't make them more fit then someone who is over weight. I have a friend who is signifigantly over weight, yet she is VERY active. She rides 20+ miles on a bike, ski's, skates, walks, ect. If you're going to start cautioning over weight adults, you might as well start cautioning the skinny adults too. Weight does not indicate how active one is.

That's why I mentioned "someone who's been sedentary". (I think we may have different definitions of 'significantly overweight', too). I also didn't say that they should lose weight before trying skating, just that they would be safer on the ice if they've done something to improve their balance and overall fitness a bit. I'd suggest that to any adult who hasn't been active, but I worry more about the heavy ones simply because I can't do as much on the ice to help them balance or ease them into a fall. I'd never discourage someone of any weight from trying skating, but going from little or no exercise right on to the ice if you've never skated before... I'm not sure how good an idea that is. Another thing to keep in mind is that most adult beginners either have cheap chain-store skates or else rent skates to start. My rink actually has pretty good rental skates compared to most, but they're still not going to provide the right amount of support for a very overweight adult.

Skittl1321
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
but I worry more about the heavy ones simply because I can't do as much on the ice to help them balance or ease them into a fall.

Yep! When I first started teaching adults the LTS director would do the first lesson with me to make sure the adults could balance well enough that I could teach them. (Help them stand up, hold their arms while they did a swizzle, etc- but she knew I wouldn't be able to prevent a flailing adult from falling). Now if they are about my size, I have learned how to help support them, even if they cannot support themselves- but even now if someone very large signs up, I ask her help for the first lesson, in case they need support. I'm only 5 feet tall, and while I'm bigger than I'd like to be, I'm not that big. I can't support a very large (whether that mean overweight man or woman, a tall woman, or just an average sized man) skater until they can learn to control their balance.

Thankfully, I've only had a few students who ever leaned on me as a coach, so it really hasn't been too much of an issue.

Edit to add: I have never ever discouraged someone from skating if they wanted to give it a try. Merely that I know I personally have limitations in my coaching.

GordonSk8erBoi
05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Geez, I'm glad I didn't get these kinds of lectures when I started skating at age 39 since I had been sedentary and had never been on the ice before my first lesson!

I've had one broken bone from a fall (collision at a public session) in 5 years of skating, and a few other falls that were nasty (all but one from collisions on public session, the other was a spin entry gone bad).

I'm 5-10 and 230 lbs, I've never expected a coach to be able (or try) to "ease a fall". It was quite clear to me that falling is a part of skating. I do agree that most adults (myself included) don't fall very often, or perhaps, often enough.

If you are a coach I would assume your PSA insurance covers this kind of thing, eh?

dbny
05-20-2008, 06:09 PM
If you are a coach I would assume your PSA insurance covers this kind of thing, eh?

Yes, it does. I've never been sued, thankfully, but a skating director that I worked for was. The kid ran out onto the ice without any instruction, broke both front teeth. To be fair, it wasn't the SD's fault or anyone else's, but the kid's dad was a lawyer...

I have pretty good techniques for shepherding beginner adults safely, and although I'm only 5'3", I've prevented falls by much taller and heavier adults. I'm very confident with students one on one. The problem is when you have more than one at that real beginner level, or when you leave them on their own. Some people get it pretty quickly, and I feel they are safe. Others just keep stepping ahead no matter what you say or do, no matter how you have them shift their weight to feel the skates under them. It's that stepping ahead that I've seen bring down quite few of all ages, and it's a very bad thing for a newbie to be doing. I want my new adult students to pick up their knees and put their feet down in place, I want their arms out and slightly in front, belly button height. I want them to be able to grab for their knees if they lose balance, and not sit back, but push knees down to center their weight. I want their gaze to be ahead and not down. I do allow, and even teach hovering a hand over the barrier, but no weight on that hand. It gives a little extra security, and if the arm is still in front and the right height, then no harm done. I don't expect F swizzles right away and often don't start them until the second lesson. Then I have them do just the push facing the wall, so they can grab it if necessary, and also to allay fear and keep the weight from going too far back, which is the risk in the first half of a F swizzle. You can see I've thought about this stuff a lot, and I work constantly at finding new teaching techniques, but I think I am coming to the conclusion that there are some people who should just not be on the ice.

CanAmSk8ter
05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Geez, I'm glad I didn't get these kinds of lectures when I started skating at age 39 since I had been sedentary and had never been on the ice before my first lesson!

This is a discussion between coaches on an internet message board expressing some of their concerns about teaching certain students. Nobody is lecturing anybody. I suggested, based on my experience coaching, that very overweight people who have been sedentary should consider doing some other forms of exercise, particularly to work on their balance, before signing up for skating lessons if they've never skated before. No one's suggesting that it be required, I'm suggesting that it might be healthier for the skater and make them safer on the ice. I'm sure there have been plenty of skaters in your situation who have been able to skate without injury like you have. That doesn't mean other skaters wouldn't benefit from what I'm suggesting.

I'm 5-10 and 230 lbs, I've never expected a coach to be able (or try) to "ease a fall". It was quite clear to me that falling is a part of skating. I do agree that most adults (myself included) don't fall very often, or perhaps, often enough.

Your first coaches were lucky ;) Adults don't all get right onto the ice and know how to stand and march anymore than the kids do. I have taught adults who needed me to basically support them at the first lesson, or even the first few lessons. I'm one of the smallest coaches at my rink, but I'm also one of the youngest and strongest, so I'm often the best option to teach these adults. There's only do so much I can do, though, with someone who can't stand and march but also outweighs me by fifty, sixty, seventy pounds.

Yes, it would. My concern isn't over getting sued, my concern is over what's going to give a sedentary, overweight skater the best chance to succeed. Obviously there have been and will be very heavy, sedentary adults who put skates on and do fine, but I've taught a lot who didn't, and the sad thing is, many of them have gotten discouraged at their lack of progress and not signed up again. Why not do everything possible to prepare your body for a new challenge like skating and give yourself every chance to succeed at it?

Skittl1321
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Yes- my insurance would cover this sort of thing. But reperations in a law suit aren't everything. Having broken my neck- I wouldn't wish that on anyone, and I do everything I can to make sure students are safe on the ice. And that includes realistic expectations of their ability as a skater, and mine as a coach.

And you might not have expected a coach to ease your fall, but many skaters- adults and kids alike will lunge and fall into you so they don't go down as hard. In addition, when you see an adult about to bang their head into the ice, if I can catch them to prevent that hard knock, then I will, I don't want my student to get a concussion. I don't care if my insurance might cover it if I was sued. I prefer to not only NOT be sued, but I want my students to be safe and enjoy skating.

I never judged anyone for their weight or for being sedentary- but I do have limitations as a coach when the skater outweighs me by 100+ pounds. A tall man could easily do that- not even getting into overweight people

isakswings
05-21-2008, 06:07 AM
That's why I mentioned "someone who's been sedentary". (I think we may have different definitions of 'significantly overweight', too). I also didn't say that they should lose weight before trying skating, just that they would be safer on the ice if they've done something to improve their balance and overall fitness a bit. I'd suggest that to any adult who hasn't been active, but I worry more about the heavy ones simply because I can't do as much on the ice to help them balance or ease them into a fall. I'd never discourage someone of any weight from trying skating, but going from little or no exercise right on to the ice if you've never skated before... I'm not sure how good an idea that is. Another thing to keep in mind is that most adult beginners either have cheap chain-store skates or else rent skates to start. My rink actually has pretty good rental skates compared to most, but they're still not going to provide the right amount of support for a very overweight adult.

I didn't think you said they should lose weight before skating, but I felt like you were implying a heavier person going from not excercising(or little excercise) to skating would be much worse then a thin person doing it. Yes, there's more to balance there but I've seen very skinny people with little to no balance too and all I am saying is a less active skinny person is probably at just as much risk of falling as a less active heavier person. I can see the cause for concern and I can also see how as a coach, you would worry about them wanting to lean on you if they fall. Anyway... I can see your point too. Oh and I agree... definitions of "signifgantly over weight" vary from person to person. I know I don't consider myself "signifgantly over weight" but I am over weight. I need to lose pleanty to feel comfy in my own skin, but it is probably much less then others I know. Skating has definately helped me loose some inches and hopefully it and some other things I am doing will allow me to lose more! :-)

CanAmSk8ter
05-21-2008, 07:07 AM
I didn't think you said they should lose weight before skating, but I felt like you were implying a heavier person going from not excercising(or little excercise) to skating would be much worse then a thin person doing it. Yes, there's more to balance there but I've seen very skinny people with little to no balance too and all I am saying is a less active skinny person is probably at just as much risk of falling as a less active heavier person. I can see the cause for concern and I can also see how as a coach, you would worry about them wanting to lean on you if they fall. Anyway... I can see your point too. Oh and I agree... definitions of "signifgantly over weight" vary from person to person. I know I don't consider myself "signifgantly over weight" but I am over weight. I need to lose pleanty to feel comfy in my own skin, but it is probably much less then others I know. Skating has definately helped me loose some inches and hopefully it and some other things I am doing will allow me to lose more! :-)

Good for you! Keep it up. I'm guessing you're not at the point of what I meant by significantly overweight (I was talking more like obese, or close to it), but good for you all the same. Your daughter is lucky to have a mom who can skate with her.

Isk8NYC
05-21-2008, 08:27 AM
This thread's making me think about Jackie Gleason - very heavy man, but incredibly light on his feet.

blue111moon
05-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I can only thank God that my long-time coach doesn't subscribe to the the don't-coach-anyone-way-bigger-than me theory. She;'s a former national pair skater less than 5 feet tall and even at nearly 60 years old, she only weighs about 90 pounds. I would make two of her. :)

But then she doesn't attempt to catch me when I fall, nor does she hold me up - or attempt to - on tricky steps or turns. I don't do that with the skaters I teach - adults or kids - either. Balance is something you learn by doing. The kids in my programs use orange safety cones for support and I've been known to stack several cones to make them tall enough for an adult to hold on to at the start. But I do not hold skaters up, ever. I don't even encourage parents to hold their kids up during family skate. IMO, it's a good way for two people to get hurt instead of just one.

I'm not even going to discuss the idea f suggesting overweight people take up another activity. That's just wrong and an invitation to a discrimination lawsuit. IMO.

CanAmSk8ter
05-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I can only thank God that my long-time coach doesn't subscribe to the the don't-coach-anyone-way-bigger-than me theory. She;'s a former national pair skater less than 5 feet tall and even at nearly 60 years old, she only weighs about 90 pounds. I would make two of her. :)

But then she doesn't attempt to catch me when I fall, nor does she hold me up - or attempt to - on tricky steps or turns. I don't do that with the skaters I teach - adults or kids - either. Balance is something you learn by doing. The kids in my programs use orange safety cones for support and I've been known to stack several cones to make them tall enough for an adult to hold on to at the start. But I do not hold skaters up, ever. I don't even encourage parents to hold their kids up during family skate. IMO, it's a good way for two people to get hurt instead of just one.

I'm not even going to discuss the idea f suggesting overweight people take up another activity. That's just wrong and an invitation to a discrimination lawsuit. IMO.

I agree, and I don't think anyone has suggested that. In fact, I specifically said in a post yesterday that "I'd never discourage someone of any weight from trying skating". I suggested that if you've been very sedentary, especially if you're obese (not the word I used, but probably better and less ambiguous than "significantly overweight"), it might be a good idea to try another activity to improve your fitness and/or balance before trying something new like skating, not instead of trying something new like skating. I wasn't suggesting this be required, or printed on the Learn-to-Skate enrollment forms, or even that's it's advice I'd give to a skater unsolicited.

I also don't think anyone was talking about holding skaters up or attempting to break a fall on "tricky steps or turns". Everything I've said has been in relation to a true adult beginner who's never been on the ice before. I do get concerned when I have a student to teach who has never skated before and is much, much larger than I am. I'll have to remember your idea about stacking up the cones, I had never heard that one before.

jskater49
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I have to say, it never EVER occurred to me, even when I was a beginner, that ANYBODY, coach or no...would think to try to hold me up or break my fall. That would make it worse for me. I don't even like it when my coach tries to help me learn something by having me hang on to her. Just get away from me and lemme do it myself is my attitude.

j

CanAmSk8ter
05-21-2008, 02:45 PM
I have to say, it never EVER occurred to me, even when I was a beginner, that ANYBODY, coach or no...would think to try to hold me up or break my fall. That would make it worse for me. I don't even like it when my coach tries to help me learn something by having me hang on to her. Just get away from me and lemme do it myself is my attitude.

j

Mine, too. I have students who are more comfortable holding my hand when we're trying something new, and it took me awhile when I started teaching to get used to that, just because it's not something I would have ever wanted. If they're really leaning on me, rather than using my hand as kind of a guide, I try to break the element down into smaller steps that they're comfortable doing without me.

Sessy
05-21-2008, 03:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Ig5ioRjrw
This is one of this forum's members, if I'm not mistaken, proving that weight has little to do with athletical abilities (let alone with flexibility)

quarkiki2
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Just to clarify, I don't believe I said anything negative about older-than-average beginners, nor heavier-than-average beginners -- just the scary-scary wobbly beginners of ANY adult age and body type. It was only coincidence that both of my scary-scary beginners were older.

ice_godess
05-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Just to clarify, I don't believe I said anything negative about older-than-average beginners, nor heavier-than-average beginners -- just the scary-scary wobbly beginners of ANY adult age and body type. It was only coincidence that both of my scary-scary beginners were older.

I agree with you. The issue here is not whether age or weight or disabilities should prevent a person from learning a sport. It scares me every year to see adults in the beginner class, who are just not physically ready to meet the demands of balancing on that thin piece of steel. Anyone who believes that a learn to skate class will make them fit - is deluding themselves. Let's face it - the first few classes of rank beginners are spent learning how to get up and fall safely, and how to balance on the ice.....no marathon skating there just hard work balancing. There are some adults - of all ages and sizes - that are just not physically able to balance themselves safely on the ice nor are flexible enough to recover from the guaranteed falls. Those skaters should enrol in exercise classes or pilates etc. first in order to develop safely the skills needed to balance on the ice. Then sign up for learn to skate lessons, which will become more enjoyable and productive.

I've taught blind skaters, developmentally challenged, physically challenged, seniors, obese and anorexic (as well as elite competitive) -- and have had quick natural learners in all groups catch on with ease and go on to enjoy advanced learn to skate level figure skating.......and I have also seen the sheer frustration and the devastating injuries that skaters who did not have any natural ability faced when they weren't physically able to cope with the balance demands of the sport. Seniors with fragile bones and poor balance are not good candidates for skating; neither are obese skaters with joint and balance problems nor anyone whose body isn't ready to bounce around on the ice during the learning process!

More power to any athlete of any age that wants to take up a new sport....just make sure the sport is one your body can handle!

GordonSk8erBoi
05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I apologize if I offended any of the coaches or other participants here with my comment.

kayskate
05-23-2008, 06:43 AM
On the fitness note.
When signing up for certain exercise classes (aerobics, kickboxing, etc) for a gym membership, many facilities have a release form that suggests the participant check w his/her MD before starting the program. This disclaimer is also shown in fine print on home exercise equipment and infomercials.
I have not seen this for LtS. However, every rink where I have worked/skated has a disclaimer poster posted prominently stating that the participant assumes the inherent risk of skating. One rink has adult pick up hockey ppl sign a release at the front desk. This may be common practice.

If problems w LtS students are a serious concern, look into your rink's policies and make suggestions. I have yet to see a rink w a large adult LtS program, but if you have one, it might be worth making a suggestion to the management about some kind of release and/or information packet upon sign-up (not just for adults, but for everyone so it is not a discriminatory issue).

Kay

Isk8NYC
05-23-2008, 07:36 AM
That's a good point, kayskate. We really should have that disclaimer and/or recommendation in signup forms. I remember our local YMCA being concerned about my using the machine room because of my allergy medicine. It was unfounded, but one of the possible side effects was dizziness.

For the record, I think this has been a civilized discussion, so no one should feel that voicing their opinions politely offends others.

Mrs Redboots
05-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I have yet to see a rink w a large adult LtS program,Come to ours on a Tuesday or Thursday night! In the winter, 2/3 of the rink is taken up with adult LTS classes! And there are additional classes on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

And yes, large notices at the rink remind punters that they skate at their own risk. And the coaches carry mandatory insurance (which is why unqualified coaches are not allowed - they can't get the insurance!).

sk8lady
05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Come on, folks, these people are ADULTS!! If they want to take skating lessons, LET THEM! They're grown-ups--they know perfectly well they can get hurt by falling down--don't you think it's patronizing to give them a note telling them they might fall down and hurt themselves!! My two best students are adults and one of them is in her 60's. She works twice as hard as the kids and is a joy to teach. The only student I've ever had (and I've taught a fair number of adults, in groups and as private students) who broke anything was a teenager who fell and broke her leg doing 3-turns. If you're really worried, you might just chat casually about osteoparosis (or however you spell it!) and how skating is low or non impact if they're not jumping (and if they tell you they have bone density problems, THEN give them a note! ;)