View Full Version : Quad axel

kayskate
05-06-2008, 06:17 AM
So this one is obviously edited
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7J79vm5BE&feature=related

But what about these. They are both falls, but the vids look legit. Who is this guy working on 4axels? Does anyone know if the elite men are doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_uc4O3DVE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSnBltDUSw&feature=related

Kay

Skittl1321
05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Well one of them appears to be "John". :)

I wonder if they are regional/sectional level competitors who want to be the first to have it ratified in competition? It seems like they aren't going to be national/elite level, because then the comment sections/titles would probably say their name and we'd recognize them. Skaters at the highest levels probably aren't working on the quad axel (I'd venture to say at all, but at least not seriously) because they have a serious concern that their "low level" quads need to be reliable, and they need to focus on high level footwork and spins too.

So, totally my guess, but these guys are probably "jumpers" who want to be a brief sentence in the history books.

But WOW!

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Whoa! Look at the whiplash the "John" guy in the last link received when he fell! If that's what a quad axel entails, count me out! Ouch. 8O

As far as I know, no elite men are attempting these in competition...yet.

Mel On Ice
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I have seen Michael Weiss attempt quad lutzes in person and come close, but haven't seen anyone else attempt them. I heard rumors that Plushenko was working on quad loop but never saw an attempt. Anyone ever try a quad flip?

FrankR
05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I have seen Michael Weiss attempt quad lutzes in person and come close, but haven't seen anyone else attempt them. I heard rumors that Plushenko was working on quad loop but never saw an attempt. Anyone ever try a quad flip?

I've heard that Daisuke Takahashi has attemtped them but I haven't seen him try one myself.

Sessy
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM

Rumor has it Joubert's is even somewhat consistent, at least in practice. But I've never seen video's for proof of this.

herniated
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
OMG! The one where the guy falls!! OUCH. BTW what is the purpose of the guy holding the "fishing line" (for lack of a better description) if he is not going to help ease the fall? I am being sarcastic.

2loop2loop
05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
There's a clip on youtube of Pluschenko falling from quad lutz, but it looked closer than any I saw from Weiss when he was trying it in competition a few yars back.

cecealias
05-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I saw Elvis Stojiko nail several clean quad lutzes in practice in 2003

starskate6.0
05-07-2008, 08:16 PM
"OK" Looks like the video of the guy from Singapore is good. Not a lot of hight but it sure looks like he made it easy , Who was that guy from the club in Singapore ??? I skated at that rink once years ago.

tidesong
05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
The Singapore one is a video edit :P (look at his other videos, he's into all that video editing special effects stuff) He can only do a single axel (as opposed to quad...)

blue111moon
05-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Shep Clark was working on quad loops before his back injury.

chowskates
05-08-2008, 10:55 AM
The Singapore one is a video edit :P (look at his other videos, he's into all that video editing special effects stuff) He can only do a single axel (as opposed to quad...)

Oh yes, and he's a really funny & creative guy... I especially like his "carpet skater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YLkredyqTE)" video.

doubletoe
05-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Oh yes, and he's a really funny & creative guy... I especially like his "carpet skater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YLkredyqTE)" video.

Oh, that's AWESOME! :lol:

coskater64
05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
That is great!! Love the carpet skater and the Tokyo drift is also very good. :yum:

starskate6.0
05-08-2008, 05:32 PM

OK .. Ill give him great credit for a great single . nice position , strait and up right . but I think its a scum ball video to do something like that. :evil:

coskater64
05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
What...?? It's very obviously edited, :roll: the arc of the jump is non-existent especially when you watch the others. He (Mark Leung) does actually have pretty good jumps.

doubletoe
05-08-2008, 07:37 PM
OK .. Ill give him great credit for a great single . nice position , strait and up right . but I think its a scum ball video to do something like that. :evil:

Since his site is full of videos that are computer edited, stop-motion animation, etc., I think it's pretty obvious that he is just doing this for fun and not actually trying to fool anyone into thinking it's real. Check out his other videos; they're fun!

starskate6.0
05-10-2008, 07:38 PM
What...?? It's very obviously edited, :roll: the arc of the jump is non-existent especially when you watch the others. He (Mark Leung) does actually have pretty good jumps.

Sorry Im not an editing expert or a skating expert .. How would I know.. :roll::?:

dbny
05-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Sorry Im not an editing expert or a skating expert .. How would I know.. :roll::?:

Just keep watching. You'll get the hang of it.

flippet
05-11-2008, 01:00 PM

That's actually pretty darn funny. :lol:

Gina10179202
05-11-2008, 02:36 PM
There are a few people trying to make history with a quad axel.

:bow: To the first person to do it in competition.

techskater
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM

Because if you looked closely, he didn't do a really good job editing his shadow on the ice to match he "quad". I think even some of his non skating stuff is funny!