View Full Version : Patellar Tendon Strap?

Skittl1321
04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I've got to figure out something that can help relieve/prevent the pain in my knees. I have Patellar tendonitis and tracking issues, caused by an imbalance in my quads. This started in January. I've been going to a PT since- and took 8 weeks off skating. I've been back for awhile, and been relatively pain free, but this week it really flared up again.

My PT once suggested I consider knee braces if I wanted to, but didn't prescribe one or say too much about it- just a drug store pick up sort of thing. I don't really want to do that- because skating in two knee braces seems incredibly cumbersome.

I recently found the patellar tendon straps though- and have read many positive reviews of them, mostly from runners. The pain is mostly below my knee, usually on the outside. It's in both knees evenly.

Has anyone skated in these? Do they stay up? The most common complaint was "deep knee bend will dislodge"- obviously with knee issues I can't do sit spins anyway, but what constitutes "deep" knee bend? Is good stroking going to move the strap?

Would you recommend this sort of thing?

jenlyon60
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I used one for awhile. I wore it over top of my tights but underneath my skate pants (stretch fleece from REI).

I have Chondromalacia and it helped for awhile during my post-op rehab (after I was cleared to skate again).

Although (by choice) I am not yet back to the level of skating I was at prior to my surgery, what I found helped me best was a combination of the following:

1. I went to a chiropractor who has a strong background in working with athletes (and understood skating). My coach gave me his name (she is a long-time patient of his). The e-stim and other therapy he did on my knee (electronic acupuncture and various soft tissue manipulations) helped immensely.

2. My post-op PT was more functional than anything else and lasted 2 months. What worked better than "generic PT" for me was working with a highly qualified personal trainer (who has multiple degrees in sports science and has worked with NHL players as well as quite a few figure skaters). He worked extensively with me during my training sessions on functional alignment, strengthening, etc. We continue to focus on all this... and as soon as he sees my knee going too far forward, or too much to the outside or the inside, we correct it.

3. My coach and I went back to "learn to skate" 101 to focus on alignment issues. I now have a better understanding of how to obtain and maintain proper quad/knee/etc alignment while skating, and realizing how many bad habits I had picked up over the years without realizing it.

It was a long slow slog but within the last 2-3 months I have noticed a significant improvement (and a corresponding decrease in pain). About 6 weeks ago, I put the strap on prior to putting my skates on, and it bugged me so much that I took it off, and haven't looked back. Walking stairs has also become much easier (at one point, the only way I could think of walking stairs was by either gripping the railing alot or by walking the stairs like a toddler, 1 step at a time).

I doubt my CMP is totally cleared up, but this is what has helped me return to a reasonably functional life, as far as my right knee is concerned.

Skittl1321
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
So skip it all together- or get a cheap one, because it's not a good long term solution?

Thanks for the other ideas. Once my PT sessions run out from the insurance I might consider taking what I have been spending on copays and do a personal trainer type thing- or get back into Pilates. I really felt like my overall health was better before I quit.

jenlyon60
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
It helped. I just got to the point where we had strengthened my hamstrings/quads and I had built new alignment habits such that I didn't need it anymore (at least for the time being).

This is the one I used (although I think I bought it directly from Cho-Pat not through Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/Cho-Pat-Patellar-Stabilizer/dp/B0000E5U8Z/ref=pd_sim_sg_title_1

One thing that my chiropractor commented on day 1 was that I needed more arch support in my everyday shoes, because lack of sufficient arch support can indirectly put stress on the knee joint. The other thing both he and my trainer worked on was my IT band. A very tight IT band can also put stress on the knee joint. (And working out a tight IT band can be very painful....).

Skittl1321
04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Oh- what you wore is a lot different than what I was thinking of. I was thinking of this sort of strap: http://www.amazon.com/37-500040-BAND-PATELLA-STRAP-BLACK/dp/B00123348E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1207767124&sr=1-3 which really just allevates pressure on the tendon (but is way less bulky). I'm just wondering if it's worth trying.

Thanks for the comment about arch supports. I have orthotics but rarely wear them. I should probably remember to get them into my shoes!

1lutz2klutz
04-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Both the one you saw and the cho-pat do the same thing. The other common brand out there is Kneed-it. They all put slight pressure on the patella tendon to tip the patella slightly so it slides more easily over the femoral condyle.

Knee issues are almost always also related to overpronation of the feet and tight hip rotators. Complete knee rehab is impossible without addressing all the elements of the kinetic chain. Get your orthotics for your shoes, and find a brand that will fit in your skates as well.

jenlyon60
04-11-2008, 04:30 AM
I can attest to the tight hip rotators. Something else I learned about in the last year.

Skittl1321
04-11-2008, 07:28 AM
I got the patella tendon straps and they help a bit.

Went to PT yesterday and he gave me new stretches to work on. I definetly can't skate in orthotics without getting all new boots, there is no way any would fit in there- so that's completely out, but I'm trying to remember to wear them in my regular shoes.

flo
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I've had a bad time with it lately and have been not able to skate more than one session a couple days a week. I've gone to pt, and have had ultrasound which has helped. When I was there last week my pt taped my knee with a kenisio tape which supports and has some give. It was the first time I walked out of there pain free. It took me a while to get the hang of the taping while here in Lake Placid, but I figured it out . I also wear the strap for practices and took out thigs in he program that really hurt - like a salchow. IWhen I get home, 'll scan in the taping directions for anyone who wants them and mail them.

rsk8d
04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi. I am a physical therapist and competitive skater, working mainly with athletes. The patellar tendon strap will help to a certain degree. If the tracking of your patella is the primary cause of your pain, then there is a small brace called the patellar tracker which has adjustable straps to guide the patellar and support it in the direction your therapist would mobilize it. Kinesiotape, rather than leukotape is also very helpful. Not all therapists use it, as it is a bit newer, and you need to be properly instructed how to apply it. For improvement in the long run, you need to be properly evaluated for strength and flexibilty imbalances, especially the ITB. Has anyone mentioned using a foam roller to you? Any PT related questions, look up Lauren at www.performancerehab.org or contact me at sk8downespga@msn.com

1lutz2klutz
04-13-2008, 05:30 PM
rsk8d- I'm a PT also in Clearwater FL- but got my initial PT degree at Northeastern, so we're from the same neck of the woods!

flo
04-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I'll find the journal reference for the kenisio tape for anyone interested.

1lutz2klutz
04-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Go to kinesiotaping.com to get information and a list of some practitioners. Not all of us bother to get listed on the web site- there's a limit to how many association memberships you want to be shelling out $$ for......