View Full Version : Where's Walley?

deannathegeek
03-06-2008, 02:00 PM
I was going over the requirements for ISI Freestyle 2, and I found something I know nothing about. It says I need to be able to do a half toe Walley. I found a vague definition on About.com, but Figure Skating for Dummies doesn't mention it at all. What's a Walley and how is it done?

Skittl1321
03-06-2008, 02:06 PM
The best description I can give is that it's like a toe loop, but you have to enter from an inside edge on the non-picking foot.

Virtualsk8r
03-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Toe-walley's are rarely done any more and for the most part, judges can't differentiate between a toe-walley and a toe-loop.

A toe-loop takes off from a backward outside edge --- a toe-walley takes off from a backward inside edge....very hard to distinguish in these days of flutz's and lips :P

The traditional way to take off a toe-walley is from a forward outside three turn step on the inside edge of the freeleg and then pick with the new freeleg (ie LFO-3/RBI edge/pick LB toe and vault backward).

A half toe-walley would - I imagine - take off in the same manner but land forward rotating only 1/2 rotation instead of a full rotation landing backward.

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I misplaced my USFS Learn-to-skate instructor's book....and can't find it in my ISI skaters and coaches book...

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm re-posting:

One-Half Toe Walley (p.42 of ISI Skaters and Coaches Handbook)
The takeoff must be on the backward inside edge of one foot and the toe of the other foot. A one-half turn in the air must be made in the direction of the toe used (i.e., if the left toe is used, the rotation is to the left). The landing must be made on the same toe as that which was used in the takeoff, with an immediate push-off to the forward inside edge of the other foot. The skater's legs should be held straight and together in the air, not split.

As I remember when I did this, my coach had me do a sort of "sway" with my edge going into it to be sure I showed that I was on the correct edge. Also, when I was in the air, I sort of "clicked" my boots together to emphasize that my legs were together (it reinforces that they are when you click them together).

So, it's back outside-inside edge, pick-jump *CLICK* pick, forward-inside.

Hope this helps.

ps-here is a video, look for the toe walley at about 1:05 or so in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIbqZOlc3M
I wish I skated as fast as this kid!!!

Skittl1321
03-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm re-posting:

One-Half Toe Walley (p.42 of ISI Skaters and Coaches Handbook)
The takeoff must be on the backward inside edge of one foot and the toe of the other foot. A one-half turn in the air must be made in the direction of the toe used (i.e., if the left toe is used, the rotation is to the left). The landing must be made on the same toe as that which was used in the takeoff, with an immediate push-off to the forward inside edge of the other foot. The skater's legs should be held straight and together in the air, not split.

As I remember when I did this, my coach had me do a sort of "sway" with my edge going into it to be sure I showed that I was on the correct edge. Also, when I was in the air, I sort of "clicked" my boots together to emphasize that my legs were together (it reinforces that they are when you click them together).

So, it's back outside-inside edge, pick-jump *CLICK* pick, forward-inside.

Hope this helps.

That must be the ISI way to teach this- my coach had me do an extremely exaggerated sway into the jump to emphasize the inside edge and then click my boots as well.

Quite honestly, IMO, it's a bit of a silly jump.

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2008, 05:59 PM
That must be the ISI way to teach this- my coach had me do an extremely exaggerated sway into the jump to emphasize the inside edge and then click my boots as well.

Quite honestly, IMO, it's a bit of a silly jump.
It was a bit freaky at first, not as hairy as the [EVIL] bunny hop...I don't know why it's even in there. I really liked the ballet jump, even if I couldn't do it well enough to do it justice.

Looking in my book at future levels, there isn't even a WALLEY anywhere to be found until Freestyle 7-what's up with that???

daisies
03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Looking in my book at future levels, there isn't even a WALLEY anywhere to be found until Freestyle 7-what's up with that???
Because it's hard!

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Because it's hard!
Yeah! so they make you do 2 in a row! ha!

I am doomed because freestyle 4 has a half-loop in it...I've been un-learning it for the past 2 years so i can land a regular loop....:frus:

oh well.

SynchroSk8r114
03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
ps-here is a video, look for the toe walley at about 1:05 or so in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIbqZOlc3M
I wish I skated as fast as this kid!!!

No, at 1:05 that's a half lutz followed by the next jump, which is the ballet jump. I've never seen the half toe walley done this way, but it appears the kid does it just after that last BI edge at around 1:47.

I teach this level and I personally agree that the half toe walley is a silly jump. I have my kids (this is for right-handed skaters) set up, do a mohawk, push back with their left foot, pick in with their left foot, then do the half turn in the air bringing their feet close together like a half flip.

Many coaches I've talked to about this jump or level do not like it in general. They say that often it's hard for them to distinguish between the ballet jump and the half toe walley because some kids just don't know how to do a correct half toe walley or because the coach is just unfamiliar with the mechanics of the jump. Couple that with poor ballet jumps that could easily be confused with a half flip or half toe walley and you can get a real mess at this level.

Skate@Delaware
03-06-2008, 07:49 PM
No, at 1:05 that's a half lutz followed by the next jump, which is the ballet jump. I've never seen the half toe walley done this way, but it appears the kid does it just after that last BI edge at around 1:47.
ooops! I stand corrected.:oops:

deannathegeek
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
A toe-loop takes off from a backward outside edge --- a toe-walley takes off from a backward inside edge....very hard to distinguish in these days of flutz's and lips :P

I watched the video Delaware posted, and you're right-I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it's time for me to get a coach to help me learn this stuff instead of relying on YouTube and Figure Skating for Dummies. :frus:

Skate@Delaware
03-07-2008, 07:55 AM
I watched the video Delaware posted, and you're right-I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it's time for me to get a coach to help me learn this stuff instead of relying on YouTube and Figure Skating for Dummies. :frus:
The diff between the toe-loop and the 1/2 toe-walley is in the landing. The toe-loop lands normally (backwards glide). The 1/2 toe-walley lands on the toe then switches feet.

I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remember the 1/2 lutz....

I don't practice either 1/2 jumps often enough (anything that lands on my frickin' toepicks I leave alone as long as I can)

Virtualsk8r
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM

Once a skater gets into the competitive stream, a Walley is considered a transition or linking move, as is the half-loop (which is really one rotation - not half a rotation but landing on the inside edge of the freeleg) - also inside axels, one-foot axels, one foot salchows etc....

Really great use of Walley is just prior to a 2lutz or lutz!

Walleys (not toe-walleys) were at one time considered the equal of an axel in difficulty, although most skaters find a true walley to be hard (no toe pick take off).

ibreakhearts66
03-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Walleys (not toe-walleys) were at one time considered the equal of an axel in difficulty, although most skaters find a true walley to be hard (no toe pick take off).

i love walleys, but agree, they are really hard! it is just really hard because you have to get all the rotation from the upper body. they are tons of fun, but really difficult to master. i remember when i first starting trying them, i basically made up my own jump. i did the power-pulls, but then jumped off my RBI edge clockwise instead of CCW and landed on my right foot. couldn't figure out why i couldn't get the outside edge on the landing! then it was pointed out to me that i was rotating the wrong direction :oops: :oops: i guess i was doing a one-foot salchow the opposite direction.

but, i am proud to be the owner of a true walley. i actually take off the inside edge, whereas lots of skaters switch to an outside at the last moment (lolley? looply? woop?)

vesperholly
03-08-2008, 11:00 AM
woop?
That's it! :lol:

daisies
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Once a skater gets into the competitive stream, a Walley is considered a transition or linking move, as is the half-loop (which is really one rotation - not half a rotation but landing on the inside edge of the freeleg) - also inside axels, one-foot axels, one foot salchows etc....

Actually, in IJS, a 1-foot axel is considered an axel and would take up a jumping box, because all jumps can be landed on either foot. Not sure if that would apply to a 1-foot salchow, although I would imagine it would.

I love walleys and used to do three in a row in my program, but now that they aren't "worth" anything, I just do one. Bummer! :(