View Full Version : Do Partners or Synchro. Skaters get to pratice alone and if so,at what age or level?

FSWer
08-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Say,I have a question. I know it prob. more then likely would depend on a skater's ability too. But when you are doing Pairs,Dance,or even Synchro. I know too that you would start out I'm sure with a coach spotting you. But does anyone know at about what age or level a coach would usually start letting you pratice lifts with your Partner or Team alone and just come in to check on you? Or IS there no such thing as a coach doing that?

Clarice
08-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Synchro teams pretty much always practice with a coach there because they practice at specially scheduled synchro times. They can't practice on regular freestyles because they need the ice all to themselves. So they wouldn't be getting together except at the time they're scheduled to work with their coach. At my rink the pair teams practice together outside of lesson time all the time, but their coach is generally on the ice during the freestyle sessions anyway. She won't allow them to practice certain lifts outside their lesson until she tells them she thinks they're ready.

Skittl1321
08-11-2007, 08:22 PM
So they wouldn't be getting together except at the time they're scheduled to work with their coach.

Our public sessions often have a couple of people from the synchro team working on routines. The kids synchro team usually has 4-5 girls there on Tuesday and they occasionally will work on routines.

The adult team there are usually 2 of the gals together working. It also isn't uncommon to see a private lesson with the synchro coach to work on something in the routine that is troubling them.

FSW- I can't directly answer your question, however, because a low level child team and an open level adult team aren't practicing lifts- which is what you seem to be asking about.

Mrs Redboots
08-12-2007, 05:41 AM
It's not a matter of "letting" you practice when you're part of a couple - it's more a matter of requiring you to! We worked our lift off-ice first, then took it on-ice, and all the coach said was "I'm glad you two are stretching yourselves!" And when I complained about the bruises on my leg, I got told it goes with the territory - which it does! Sigh.... And I wish I could remember what I do with my legs in the lift in this particular dance. Even deeper sigh.