View Full Version : What is it like for you as a skater?

FSWer
05-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Say,I hope this isn't too personal. But I thought it might be great to get to know everyone a little bit better as skaters. So if it's alright..I'd love to hear from all of you, a little bit about you AS a skater. I am not asking for PI. just a little bit of skater backround.

xofivebyfive
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm 16. Started skating last year.. Had all my singles by September. First competition this January. Starting work on axel, and doubles will hopefully come soon.

Sessy
05-29-2007, 03:56 AM
21, started last spring, but didn't skate late march through september because there wasn't any ice (except a few days I went up north to a rink that's open for 3 weeks in midsummer). Had like 3 private lessons and otherwise just group lessons... Got all my singles, but more on strength than on technique to be honest. Passed my A through F tests (Dutch system). Got started on an axel, even jumped it rotated enough to squeeze out a landing once (on the final training of the season in april) but I was a little unlucky to get injured so I couldn't jump much though so that sort of got put on a backtrack, but I'll be back with a mean bite in the new skating season starting from august-september. Besides the injury forced me to work more on my weakest point, which is the spins. Which are incredibly weak to be honest.
Did 1 artistic competition so far. This year I'll probably compete adults (since that's a non-qualifying event and requires no tests or anything here in the Netherlands, also doesn't keep you from going to the normal track) and then I hope to pass my "interbrons" MIF and freestyle (all single jumps except the axel, scratch, change-foot, sit and camel spins) and compete in the Royal Skating Federation Cup next year. Then take it from there, see how that goes.

southernsk8er
05-29-2007, 11:40 AM
28, started skating almost exactly 2 years ago at 26. I quickly learned all single jumps except for axel, but I've had a terrible time with spinning. I'm currently struggling with the camel spin. I started working on the axel and double toe about 4-5 months ago, but it was put on hold due to testing and first program and competition. Just passed Pre-Bronze tests on Sunday, and first comp is this Saturday. After that, it's back to axel, double toe, and hopefully double sal! Planning to take Bronze tests in July, as my signature says :)

blackmanskating
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Age 24, Started skating Feb 2006 right after I saw Johnny Weir at the Olympics (Awesome skater and decent human being). :bow: Lost 33 pounds in 4 months. :o Was landing all of my singles (except axel) after 7 months of skating. The axel came 2 months later. Currently Landing axel, double toe, double sal, double loop, and double flip. As of today I did my first axel-loop combination in preparation for a future double axel. (Really excited about that) I have never competed before because initially, my goal for skating was to lose 40 pounds. I caught the competition bug much later. Planning to test through Silver freestyle and Gold MITF for my debut at Adult Nationals 08. My goal is to skate well and to make a bunch of friends at Nats!!!

BlackManSkating

WannabeS8r
05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Uh-he-he, hopefully there are no skating stalkers... if there are such a things.

I'm 12, and my first time on ice was in late March, 2006. At first I jumped CW but did spins CCW. That caused me a lot of problems when I finally took skating (group) lessons in October 2006. After ten 30-minute lessons (once a week), I have gotten myself a private coach, and learned to spin clockwise as well. Now, I usually take private lessons once in 2 weeks, which STINKS. I skate 1-2 times a week. Landed all my singles consistently by April... now I am working on the axel. My signature says it all. 8-)

SynchroSk8r114
05-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Skating since: age 8 (13 years this June!)
Freestyle level: Intermediate
Dance level: Pre-gold
Passed Senior MIF test in May 2005 (thank God!)
Currently skating (and vice-president) of my university's intercollegiate synchronized skating team, which is a lot of fun!
Currently teaching private lessons and group lessons, which I love!
Used to compete, but quit in 1999 to focus on USFS testing - best decision ever!

flikkitty11
05-31-2007, 03:37 AM
Im 15, been skating since i was 7 but trying since i was 12 (when i was younger i just played around)
i skate CW and i started out spinning CCW and jumping CW too :)
i have my axel, double sal, double toe, double flip (most of the time) and im working on double loop and lutz as well as double axel.
i skate intermediate (Ice Skating Australia system) and am aiming to go to nationals in august this year.

Flik

altamaleskater
06-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Age: 36. Started skating 2 years ago, had wanted to skate since I was a lot smaller (but never did cause I didn't want to get picked on in school). Now I am refining my loop & flip jumps (no axels yet) and am testing for dance.

dippytrout27
06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi, I'm 41 and have been skating properly for 3 months at my local rink in Cannock. I can now do 3 turns, back crossovers and am gaining confidence by the minute :)

WJLServo
06-02-2007, 03:56 PM
55 yo. Learned to skate, badly, as a boy, but was never able to skate all that much. No rinks where I grew up, and pond ice was catch as catch can.

FF to 5 years ago; started having heart trouble, and was advised by MD to get more exercise. Were quite a few good year round rinks nearby, so, took my old hockey skates out of closet and started skating again. By & by, realized that I'm a bit too old and frail to take up hockey, so, traded in hockey skates for Gold Stars, and began taking lessons. Making only very slow progress on turns, moves, edges, just starting to learn Waltz jump. But, heart has been behaving, so, can't complain.....

Rusty Blades
06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I am 57 and started skating in January of 2006. I used to skate as a teen (14-19) and I can tell you it is NOT like riding a bicycle, you DO NOT remember - well, maybe the mind remembers but the body sure doesn't! In 36 years away, every cell in my body that once knew how to skate had long since been shed 8O

It took 4 months just to skate forward without nerve-wracking fear, another 4 months to do anything backwards :roll: and a couple more for 2-footed turns. Still I managed to put together an Interpretive program and enter the (Canadian) Adult Championships (where I skated poorly) this March. That was the first time I had ever competed so I am proud of myself for getting there (and not making a total a@@ of myself) :lol: At present I am working on back XO's and spins and we are doing the preparatory exercises leading up to jumps. At next year's Nationals, I plan to enter another Interpretive and a Freeskate.

I skate WAY too much! I have skated between 3 and 5 times a week (4 presently) and I am up at 4 a.m., off to the rink at 5, on the ice at 7, to work by 9, and I get home at 4:30 in the afternoon. Being single, I also have to fit in all the things required to keep a household together and usually get around 4 hours sleep each night.

I would like to back off on the skating and have a little "free time" but I am far to obsessive! 8O I just can't leave it alone, especially right now when I have SO MUCH to learn. It's nuts! It's absolutely NUTS! I should be sedated and locked in a padded room :(

Bill_S
06-02-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm 57, started ice skating as a kid sharing a pair of women's figure skates someone had given my mother. There were three of us who shared them on the frozen Muskingum River behind my house that day.

Afterwards we moved outside the city and there was a pond on which everyone skated, so I joined in the fun during my teenage years. I never saw the inside of an indoor ice rink until I was 25. Took a 50 mile road trip with my girlfriend to see it in person.

Fast forward to 2000, and like Rusty mentioned, you DO FORGET how to skate. I was invited to a skating event by a student here who also happened to be a coach, so I started taking lessons from her afterwards. It was rough re-learning just the basics, and she was teaching me new things too (hey coach, what's a 3-turn?)

I was rabid about skating until last year after I passed my Silver Moves test. Not sure what happened, but the intense desire cooled just a bit. I still like skating - just not as much as before. Another little hobby is occupying my time away from the ice. Not having ice during warm months isn't killing me as much as it would have in the past.

Having said that, I am more than ready to make the long drive to Columbus to skate for the first time in two months.

das_mondlicht
06-02-2007, 08:00 PM
First time on ice at my mid-30s back in March 2003. I never skate before. But, I learned ballet when I was 4 years old. I was not too interested in ballet, so I gave it up after 2 years. I guess the little ballet training shown in my skating slightly. I have open hips which make mohawk quite natural to me. But, I had hard time when learning 3-turns. 3 years ago, I stop doing jumps and can barely stay upright on ice after some jumps. I am more into moves, footworks and figures since then and ice-dance lately. Oh, I spin both ways. I spin CW naturally and centered but my coaches never want to see me spinning CW. So, I somehow gave up my spins for no reason...

Since last year, I skate less and less. I still love skating, but just not as much as before. (Bill said that too!) I think my fish family wins over skating most of time. But, I am also considering to switch to artisitc inline skating and think it might make sense to me when I move to northwest.

Luna

Rusty Blades
06-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Not sure what happened, but the intense desire cooled just a bit.

Oh thank God! There IS hope :bow:

Scarlett
06-02-2007, 10:08 PM
deleted....posted in the wrong thread

Evelina
06-03-2007, 05:46 AM
I am 25, I did group lessons between of ages 3-8 and then due to circumstances totally beyond my control (such as end of most sports fascilities - which were practially free until then anyway - where I lived) I had to stop. At that time it was more to help me with my posture and some bad habits I started developing at 3, not to compete. I really wanted to start again in my teens but because of where I live until I got my driving licence and a car getting to/from the rink was impossible.
Started skating again March 2006 with the ability to just about go forwards and back. I am currently working on double-loop and axel (although I am sure I will get the double first, it feels more doable!) and change foot parallel and sit.

sceptique
06-03-2007, 06:57 AM
I've just turned 34 this Friday. I started skating a bit more than 2 years ago and got striken by a particularly nasty variety of a.o.s.s. virus, which led to me leaving my day job for a three-in-one "rink manager + skating programmes manager + coach" position at a newly opened recreational rink.

My family, husband and friends are still praying for my speedy recovery... :bow:

DallasSkater
06-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Scept: Wow! speaks well to how much you have progressed in a short time frame. I would love to have input in the LTS program. I just finished all classes my rink offers! I do not think anyone is ready to hand me the position though! lol. We have change occurring in management of my home rink. I have already voiced a few changes I would love to see...such as better accountability from the coaches to be consistent in sticking to the established lesson plans. Nothing worst then hitting the "test" day and discovering elements that were not even introduced on the test you are expected to pass! I also suggested they offer a group introduction to ice dance. Our rink has no ice dancers but I think more adults would be attracted if it were offered.

Hi FWSW: I am 44 and started skating January of 2006. I am currently working FS 4 under ISI and am pre bronze level now in USFSA. (Well, I have not taken the test but have pre bronze well prepared for after I finish my very first competition). I thought it was too much pressure to get that done right now. I have started being introduced to some of the bronze testing elements. I really want the bronze level to be able to compete in specific competitions of interest that do not have pre bronze level options. I am highly motivated to accomplish that. Are you skating? I have read that you are a big skating fan...but wondered if you also continued to skate.

sceptique
06-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Scept: Wow! speaks well to how much you have progressed in a short time frame.

I only wish it was due to my skating skills, not management background!

Skating-wise I've still got a loooong way to go.....

Derek
06-03-2007, 12:22 PM
I only wish it was due to my skating skills, not management background!

Skating-wise I've still got a loooong way to go.....

Modesty indeed, I've seen you skate !

For myself, age 52, started skating 18 months ago in the LTS programme at my local rink. Cleared the programme in 10 months, and have just started private lessons (yesterday) with the target of completing the Passport ... no natural ability or grace here, just lashings of ruddy determination and pigheadedness. Another serious case of AOSS ...

Sessy
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I am 57 and started skating in January of 2006. I used to skate as a teen (14-19) and I can tell you it is NOT like riding a bicycle, you DO NOT remember - well, maybe the mind remembers but the body sure doesn't! In 36 years away, every cell in my body that once knew how to skate had long since been shed 8O

I started riding the bicycle when I was about 8, although I had made attempts when I was about 6. Anyway I cycled till I was 16, then stopped using it for various reasons till about this spring. And I got back on/in the saddle a few months ago.

Riding bicycle is really not that much different from skating, I tell you... :x
I'm okay now although I still can't cycle with hands off the steering bar and stuff but at least I don't fall over on the spot or hit the curbs.

I think it depends how old you start learning a skill. I think any skill you learn before you're like 4 or so stays with you for the rest of your life.

Sk8ingQueen
12-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Skating since: age 16
Passed Pre-Preliminary MIF in 2003
Passed Pre-Preliminary Freestyle in October 2007
Currently coaching group lessons and soon to be coaching private lessons at the Basic Skills level.

I became interested in skating after watching the 1994 Olympics on TV. My parents couldn't afford to pay for the lessons so I saved up my birthday and Christmas money for a few years until I could pay for it myself. My parents did eventually pitch in and help me out from time to time when it was in their budget. 8-)

I have been mainly a recreational skater. I started out in the ISI system and competed in several ISI competitions in the freestyle category and as a member of a Production Team. I have taken a few breaks from skating during the past nine years, so I haven't made a huge amount of progress. :frus:

I started taking private lessons on a regular basis again in January 2007 (and by regular I mean once a week). I am working on my single jumps up to lutz, and the camel, sit, and back scratch spins. I am planning on taking the Preliminary MIF test in February 2008 (took it once in November and didn't pass - darn those outside 3-turns :roll: ), and Preliminary FS in the summer.

I choose to follow the USFS standard testing system for now, but I would like to start competing at adult competitions within the next year or two. I also want to continue to coach. :D

Sorry for the long post. :oops:

montanarose
12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I was rabid about skating until last year after I passed my Silver Moves test. Not sure what happened, but the intense desire cooled just a bit. I still like skating - just not as much as before.

Sounds like skating menopause :mrgreen:

montanarose (ducking and running)

amyvw
12-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I've been lurking around for a while here....figured this was as good a place as any for my first "official" post. :D

I'm 39. I skated as a kid just for fun, mostly on a pond near our house in the winter. When I was about 23, I took up skating as exercise, got sucked in (aka addicted) started group lessons, progressed quickly through the basic levels and ended up in adult freestyle group lessons and took a session or two of beginning ice dance as well. I puttered around with that until I was about 27 and then took a 12 year break as I had my 3 kids.

Fast forward to now, and I've got my 2 girls in group lessons. Lesson coordinator arranges for some of the moms to take a lesson while the kids are on the ice and BAM...here I go again. I started back two weeks ago and although I currently feel like I have lost all balance and coordination and know I look like a complete doofus, I'm am LOVING being back out there. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not fall flat on my face and actually COULD still do some of what I used to (tho it ain't pretty right now).

I'm motivated to get my boot issues resolved once and for all and really get moving. Aside from having kids, part of my break was due to persistent foot/boot problems that it did not seem I could resolve. Lots of research led me to realize that all of my issues pre-kids were textbook pronation/flat arch related and now I know what to do about it. I'll hopefully get fitted for new skates in the coming weeks with appropriate correction and will be able to get back to where I was (and possibly beyond). Right now, I'm squeezing my size 11c (foot growth with first baby) feet into my old size 10B Harlicks and it's killing me.

Ice Dancer
12-12-2007, 01:53 PM
I started in September 2006, 3 1/2 months before my 25th birthday. I'd only ever been on the ice twice before, once on artificial ice, and the other time at a birthday party where I didn't actually do much moving. I recently described to a coach at my rink the reason I took up was a "moment of madness"!

I started with group lessons, but they were not great and I was falling behind a bit, so I took up private lessons in the December to alongside them to get me back on track. However, I got addicted to them and in March, due to personal circumstances mainly, I ditched group lessons and took on two private lessons a week.

I am now on the brink of passing the first skate uk course (damn mohawks!) and we are aiming to start passport in the new year. We have already started on it a bit, as I was getting demotivated, but it will be good to be on it officially after my hard work, and it has been hard at times too! But I love it, am well and truly addicted and would happily skate every day. Unfortunately I have had a few health problems the last couple of months and spinning and jumping have been off limits for a bit, but I am hoping that I will be able to get back to them very soon.

GordonSk8erBoi
12-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I started skating at the ripe old age of 39.5ish, in May 2003, never having been on the ice before and never having been particularly athletic. It's been a long road. I have been prepping adult pre-bronze for about forever, I still am struggling with my 1-foot spin and darn inside 3s. But I have a wonderful, supportive coach and I love skating.

je
12-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't think I ever properly introduced myself here, so will grab this opportunity. I skated a bit growing up--maybe once a year or so--but I think my only accomplishment (and I realize now it's not a small one) was that I could skate forward unassisted. Didn't skate for about 30 years. Was a huge fan of skating on TV and it started to seem odd to love watching so much and not do it myself. So I started skating in Dec. 1999 and spent about a year and a half just skating on my own, getting my legs under me and reading about what to do on the Internet. Started group lessons at age 46 in June 2001. Switched to privates about 10 months after that and haven't looked back.

I've passed Silver moves, Pre-bronze free, and through Willow Waltz in dance. When I started, my goals were to feel confident and graceful (check, check, some of the time, at least). I've gone so much farther than I ever considered that sometimes I scare myself when I think about what I'm working on.

Johanna