View Full Version : How High to Cross the leg in a Loop?

SkatingOnClouds
04-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Just wondering, because I have seen different techniques, when you do a loop, and you are aiming to have the free leg crossed in front, how high should one aim to cross?
Should it cross;
above the knee
below the knee
at the ankle
or something different?

Isk8NYC
04-22-2007, 08:19 AM
On a single loop, you don't NEED to cross the legs, but it's good to practice it in preparation for the other jumps. I teach it as "keep the foot in front" of the skating leg with a bent knee. ("Do as I say, not as I do...")

When working on higher level jumps (doubles, for example), the skater will learn to have it cross properly at the ankle, avoiding the sideways knee-free foot wrap.

doubletoe
04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
On a single loop, flip, lutz or axel, the free foot should be in front of the shin of the landing leg.

AW1
04-23-2007, 02:08 AM
my daughters coach teaches her to have her free leg crossed right in front of her ankle

SkatingOnClouds
04-23-2007, 03:49 AM
When working on higher level jumps (doubles, for example), the skater will learn to have it cross properly at the ankle, avoiding the sideways knee-free foot wrap.

uh oh. When you say knee-free foot wrap, are you talking about if you have your free leg across the landing leg like a figure 4, with the knee pointing out to the side? If so, guilty - even if it is only in single jumps and backspins.

Maybe it's cos I have fat thighs, I find it hard to get one knee in front of the other facing forwards.

I have seen someone attempting to do loops with their free leg crossed above the knee, and feel sure that must make it harder for her.

skatingdoris
04-23-2007, 06:21 AM
I have seen someone attempting to do loops with their free leg crossed above the knee, and feel sure that must make it harder for her.

very guilty of this :halo: .

My coach say's I look like i'm trying to wrap my free leg around my neck!!

I know its v bad but don't seem to have been able to stop it. Though recently I have sort of lost my Loop (can only do it from a three turn!) for the first time ever - it was always my strongest jump. So we are going back over all the technique again and I'm desperatly hoping when I do get it back it will be alot stronger and technically correct - along with free leg crossed at ankle/shin, ready to start work on double loop