View Full Version : Returning to Ice?

AndreaUK
04-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi

Well after 5 weeks I am considering returning to the Ice on Monday morning.

Five weeks ago whilst performing a lunge/drag, I felt a huge pop and crack in my left knee which hurt like hell. I found that the day after was more painful than day one and certainly for 3 weeks I have had considerable pain when trying to weight bare. The last two weeks have seen a slight improvement every day more or less and for the last three days I have been totally pain free whatever I try to do. The injury was checked out at the hospital and I was told that it was nothing more than a bruised Meniscus cartilage that should heal with a few weeks rest.

SO I was wondering if I should return to the Ice on Monday. I dont know if I should wear a knee brace or just return to normal activities and I dont know really if its too soon or not?

I was wondering what you guys would advise?

Andrea xx

jp1andOnly
04-14-2007, 08:36 AM
If you feel ready, go for it. If you feel more comfortable with a brace get one. I'd take it slow at first. Good luck

Hi

Five weeks ago whilst performing a lunge/drag, I felt a huge pop and crack in my left knee which hurt like hell. I found that the day after was more painful than day one and certainly for 3 weeks I have had considerable pain when trying to weight bare. The last two weeks have seen a slight improvement every day more or less and for the last three days I have been totally pain free whatever I try to do. The injury was checked out at the hospital and I was told that it was nothing more than a bruised Meniscus cartilage that should heal with a few weeks rest.

SO I was wondering if I should return to the Ice on Monday. I dont know if I should wear a knee brace or just return to normal activities and I dont know really if its too soon or not?

Andrea xx

cathrl
04-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Hi

Andrea xx

Andrea, I'm SO not an expert, but I'd suggest that when you do go back you take it very easy and come off well before you feel you need to - and then see whether your knee reacts at all in the next day.

Hope it goes well for you.

AndreaUK
04-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Update:

Decided that I would return on Wednesday, however i have fallen over at home tonight and done exactly the same to my ankle as I did to my knee. Ive damaged the ligaments and its very painful and swollen. Had to go to the hospital as I was sure it was broken, thankfully its not but looks like it will be another month or so before I can skate again. Life is just so unfair :frus:

Andrea

dbny
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
(((((Andrea)))))

I have often felt that I should wear knee pads all the time, not just on the ice. It's so easy to whack a knee or twist an ankle in everyday life, and you're right, it's not fair :x!

AW1
04-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Update:

Decided that I would return on Wednesday, however i have fallen over at home tonight and done exactly the same to my ankle as I did to my knee. Ive damaged the ligaments and its very painful and swollen. Had to go to the hospital as I was sure it was broken, thankfully its not but looks like it will be another month or so before I can skate again. Life is just so unfair :frus:

Andrea

Andrea, I totally hear you. I damaged my knee in October last year and did not skate for 4 and a half months. The orthopaed can't tell me for sure what's wrong with my knee but it's still not better. I have skated a few times (about 6) but it's painful afterwards.

I'm actually heading off to hospital tomorrow am for surgery on that knee - hopefully they will catch what is the problem, and I will be back to skating in about 6-8 weeks (well I can dream can't I?)

Good luck with your recovery!