View Full Version : silly question about testing

Skittl1321
11-10-2006, 05:36 PM
I keep seeing people posting about taking more than one test in a day- mitf and freestyle, pre-bronze and bronze (wow).

Is it possible to take standard track and adult track tests in the same day? I'm not ready to test yet, but it seems like pre-preliminary and pre-bronze are so similiar it would make sense to try them both. Is that "allowed"?

phoenix
11-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes, that would be fine. But since there are now crossover points from standard to adult w/ regards to qualifying for taking the FS tests, frankly I don't see the point in taking both standard and adult tests. Take the standard, you'll learn more, and then take the adult FS tests as you hit the crossover points.

It's just my opinion. I don't see any advantage to taking both. Just more $$$$!

doubletoe
11-10-2006, 06:46 PM
But the passing standards are higher on the standard track tests, so be prepared for a higher risk of getting a "retry." That's something to bear in mind if you are taking a MIF test as a prerequisite for an adult FS test where you need to pass by a certain date to qualify for Sectionals.

Debbie S
11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
But the passing standards are higher on the standard track tests, so be prepared for a higher risk of getting a "retry." Well, the passing standard isn't necessarily higher (Pre-Bronze and Pre-Prelim are both pass/retry, Bronze and Prelim are both 2.5, etc) but b/c of the way the crossover system is set up, you will need to pass more difficult moves to take each adult FS test if you go the standard track MIF testing route. For example, to take Pre-Bronze FS, you need to pass both Pre-Prelim and Prelim MIF (to account for the fact that the Prelim crossover figure 8's are on the Pre-Bronze test, so you have to pass that move on some test, be it adult or standard track). To take Bronze FS, you will need to pass Pre-Juv MIF, so in addition to passing the 3 Pre-Juv moves that are on Bronze MIF, you will also need to pass the 3 Pre-Juv moves that are on the Silver MIF test. So if you only test standard track, it will likely take you longer to be eligible to take a particular adult FS test.

I could think of some reasons to do both tracks: it will give you more testing experience, which will help conquer your testing (and probably also competition) nerves; it will expose you to some moves that you would miss if you just did adult track (Prelim spirals and alt 3's, Juv back power 3's); and if you plan on testing the higher level standard track moves tests, testing standard track at the lower levels might make that a smoother transition for you.

If taking FS tests (and competing) is important to you, definitely test adult track (at least), b/c you will qualify for FS tests sooner than if you just test standard track.

phoenix
11-11-2006, 08:14 AM
If taking FS tests (and competing) is important to you, definitely test adult track (at least), b/c you will qualify for FS tests sooner than if you just test standard track.

But you'll be a better skater if you take more time & test standard MIF. ;)

doubletoe
11-11-2006, 01:36 PM
I agree that you will be a better skater if you take the standard track tests; I would just advise giving yourself more time to pass them before any deadline you might have.

Team Arthritis
11-13-2006, 12:40 PM
my 2 cents: I've heard that the judges resent the adults taking the standard tests at the low levels as it overlaps with the adult tests and part of the reason that the adult tests were created is that its hard for a judge to grade appropriate lobe size, power, extension, flow, control etc. comparing a 6 year old and a 60 year old. So we were encouraged to take the adult MITF and FS tests and when you are done with GOLD just go right ahead and graduate into intemediate.:twisted:
Lyle

phoenix
11-13-2006, 01:11 PM
my 2 cents: I've heard that the judges resent the adults taking the standard tests at the low levels as it overlaps with the adult tests and part of the reason that the adult tests were created is that its hard for a judge to grade appropriate lobe size, power, extension, flow, control etc. comparing a 6 year old and a 60 year old. So we were encouraged to take the adult MITF and FS tests and when you are done with GOLD just go right ahead and graduate into intemediate.:twisted:
Lyle

I have certainly not seen this nor experienced it in my area (midwest). Most adults here test MIF standard track, the judges are used to seeing them. We have a few at the higher levels too, novice & junior, so they're definitely passing!

You can go through Adult Gold & then switch over to intermediate; the trouble is that you've missed some (IMO) important elements along the way which the adult track never requires.

Mel On Ice
11-13-2006, 02:12 PM
I judge, I skate ISI, I skate adult track in USFSA. I am not adding standard track to my to-do list.

jenlyon60
11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Lyle

In my neck of the woods, at the test sessions I attend, I don't see any resentment of adults doing adult MIF/FS test vs standard MIF/FS tests. Now, if an adult is testing standard track, they should expect to be held to the same standards (or close) as any other standard-track tester.

Casey
11-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Oh gosh, this argument again so soon?

Some folks like adult track, others think the standard track is the way to go, and some of us wish to do both... Can we not just be happy to have the option?

In the spirit of sticking to the original topic of the thread...it seems to make sense enough to test pre-bronze and pre-prelim the same day assuming you're prepared, but I do have a question...I've heard of folks taking MITF and FS the same day, but as passing the MITF is required to take the FS test, do you still have to pay for the FS test in the event that you fail the MITF?

skaternum
11-13-2006, 04:52 PM
I've heard of folks taking MITF and FS the same day, but as passing the MITF is required to take the FS test, do you still have to pay for the FS test in the event that you fail the MITF?Absolutely. The club still must pay for the ice time and the judge's expenses, so if you book it, you bought it. Many clubs don't even allow "contingency testing," as this is often referred to. Ice time for tests is too tight, so people signing up to take a contingency test may actually bump out another skater who wants to take a test on the same day, based on whatever method the club uses to determine which applications to accept (first-come / first-serve; need for a qualifying comp test level; etc.) Thus, many clubs don't even allow you to sign up for these. But if they do allow it, and you fail the prerequisite test, you forfeit your $ for the subsequent tests.

skaternum
11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
In my neck of the woods, at the test sessions I attend, I don't see any resentment of adults doing adult MIF/FS test vs standard MIF/FS tests. Now, if an adult is testing standard track, they should expect to be held to the same standards (or close) as any other standard-track tester.I agree completely with jenlyon60. I've never seen this where I skate either.

techskater
11-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Resentment for taking standard track on the part of the judges? No way! Never heard of that. Held to the same standard as the kids? Heck, yeah!
You will need to take more time on the same move to pass the same move on the standard track test (eg : perimeter power stroking is on the Bronze MIF test @ 2.5 and on the PreJuv @ 2.7) because the passing standard is higher.

For me, it makes no difference, I've already "crossed over" and passed the Intermediate MIF test without having taken any of the other MIF tests (due to a quirk of lucky fate) and am faithfully working on my Novice MIF with the expectation to pass sometime next summer when I can devote more time to it after Nationals (It gets about 15 minutes per hour session and 10-20 minutes of lesson time out of 60). I find working on moves has its benefits to FS.

Did the Intermediates take me longer for not having done MIF previously? Probably. Did I learn a lot from working on them? Definitely. Are there benefits from doing all the patterns? Absolutely. BUT! It depends on what your goals as a skater are, though, and if it's to become competition ready as an adult in FS, you will need to make some compromises.

If you don't want to spend the money/time to pay for testing both tracks such as having your coach teach you the standard track moves not on the adult tests and working on those things as well. Take a MIF class during the summer when there's more ice readily available and you get the opportunity to explore moves not in your test structure. Have some of the more difficult moves added to your footwork/transitions.

Good luck! Generate your long term goals and you'll know the right way to go about this FOR YOU!!

Thin-Ice
11-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Absolutely. The club still must pay for the ice time and the judge's expenses, so if you book it, you bought it. Many clubs don't even allow "contingency testing," as this is often referred to. Ice time for tests is too tight, so people signing up to take a contingency test may actually bump out another skater who wants to take a test on the same day, based on whatever method the club uses to determine which applications to accept (first-come / first-serve; need for a qualifying comp test level; etc.) Thus, many clubs don't even allow you to sign up for these. But if they do allow it, and you fail the prerequisite test, you forfeit your $ for the subsequent tests.

I think this depends on the club. At least two of the clubs where I judge let the skaters roll-over the test fee if they don't pass the MITF test for the FS they are taking. But they encourage you not to take too many tests on the same day. PB Moves & FS, as well as Bronze Moves & FS would be fine.. but if you wanted to take Silver as well, the test chair might give you a call and ask if that's what you really want to do.. and work out another arrangement. They allow it... they just want to make sure there won't be any "wasted ice time". We had one adult new to the area but who had skated out of the area as a kid -- come in and take her Pre-Pre through Intermediate Moves in one session... and her Novice-Senior the next month... but she had passed her eighth figure test as a kid, and the test chair was pretty well convinced this skater would pass everything. The skater was mostly taking the MITF tests because she wanted to coach now, and around here at least, new coaches get more credibility if they have been through the tests they are putting their skaters up for.

And the skating director at Yerba Buena in San Francisco (Jazzpants' home rink) took all her Moves tests in two months. She was our adult synchro coach at the time.. and we required all our skaters to test moves. This was a long time ago-- before USFS even thought of requiring synchro skaters to take moves tests. So she went out and took the Pre-Pre and Preliminary and Pre-Juvenile tests on the same test session as the adult synchro skaters. We were soooo proud of her... but we made sure she was the last skater for each test.. none of us wanted to have our spirals compared to hers!!!:lol:

But most of our local coaches have their kids and many of their adults one Moves level ahead of the FS test anyway.. for example, the coaches don't let the kids take the Juvenile FS until they've passed Intermediate Moves.

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh gosh, this argument again so soon?

Some folks like adult track, others think the standard track is the way to go, and some of us wish to do both... Can we not just be happy to have the option?Especially as yours is, I think, the only Federation to offer this option - the rest of us test standard track or not at all!

Isk8NYC
11-14-2006, 10:25 AM
But most of our local coaches have their kids and many of their adults one Moves level ahead of the FS test anyway.. for example, the coaches don't let the kids take the Juvenile FS until they've passed Intermediate Moves.This is the way we handle it at our rinks, too. Moves tests one level ahead of freestyle tests. Makes sense, since MITF increases your ability to control your freestyle elements.

Here's a question: I know that, if you have to "retest" a level, you have to wait 28 days or the test won't be recognized. Can you take a test in a different discipline before then?

For example, a skater who already passed Pre-bronze MITF gets a retest for Pre-Bronze FS. S/he can't retest for 28 days. The following week, there's a test session - can s/he take the Bronze MITF test even though 28 days hasn't passed?

jenlyon60
11-14-2006, 11:37 AM
This is the way we handle it at our rinks, too. Moves tests one level ahead of freestyle tests. Makes sense, since MITF increases your ability to control your freestyle elements.

Here's a question: I know that, if you have to "retest" a level, you have to wait 28 days or the test won't be recognized. Can you take a test in a different discipline before then?

For example, a skater who already passed Pre-bronze MITF gets a retest for Pre-Bronze FS. S/he can't retest for 28 days. The following week, there's a test session - can s/he take the Bronze MITF test even though 28 days hasn't passed?

Yes, Because the MIF test structure is separate from the FS test structure, although the FS test structure requires a minimum of the equiv. level MIF before one can test.

For example, one could have tested through Silver MIF, but if you go to test Bronze FS and have a bad day and fail Bronze FS, you only have to wait until the 28th day to re-test Bronze FS. In the meantime, if Gold MIF were ready for testing, or the Canasta Tango, or the European Waltz, one could test those (provided the requirements for the other test had been previously met).

doubletoe
11-14-2006, 11:53 AM
my 2 cents: I've heard that the judges resent the adults taking the standard tests at the low levels as it overlaps with the adult tests and part of the reason that the adult tests were created is that its hard for a judge to grade appropriate lobe size, power, extension, flow, control etc. comparing a 6 year old and a 60 year old.

I've never heard of any resentment of adults testing lower level standard track MIF in my area (southern Calif.) either.

blue111moon
11-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Most of the judges I know cheer adults who take on the challenge of the standard tests, rather than resent them.

phoenix
11-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Most of the judges I know cheer adults who take on the challenge of the standard tests, rather than resent them.

That has been my experience as well.

skaternum
11-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Most of the judges I know cheer adults who take on the challenge of the standard tests, rather than resent them.Heck, many of the judges who judge around here are adult skaters, so they definitely don't resent them.

CanadianAdult
11-14-2006, 05:15 PM
This isn't really responding to the original question, but I tested skills, freeskate (both parts) and one dance in the same test session and was on the ice for almost an hour. It was too much. Although they were "easy" to pass, the stress of being out there for so long just took the energy out of me. I've split up my next freeskate test, elements on one test day, the program on another and am now starting to wish I could split up the three parts of the skills too but they will have a test day of their own ;)

I test in the only Canadian system there is, and have only once run into a judge that didn't like adults but I passed anyway. Usually they tell me how much they admire adults who are skating and continuing to test. Because we're nuts!