View Full Version : Beginning Silver Moves....

Hannahclear
06-26-2006, 11:26 AM
So, I'll be starting Silver Moves tomorrow with my coach. It will be a long and interesting journey I am sure. :P

Tips? Basics to review that will assist me in mastering these moves? How long did they take YOU to learn and pass?

All input greatly appreciated!

Debbie S
06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I just started working on these about 2 months ago. I had a bit of a head start b/c I had to learn the 8-step for the Bronze MIF event at NYI and my coach gave me cross strokes as an exercise to do to help with edges and knee bend when I was working on Bronze moves. The 3-turns and power pulls are my biggest challenge (although my 8-step and cross strokes are far from ideal, so I'm sure I'm going to be drilling those over and over). I couldn't really even do BI 3's, and I'd done BO 3's on and off since I learned them in group FS lessons, so I basically had to re-learn them. Now, I'm proud to say that I can at least do the turns (most of the time) and complete the lobes, albeit small ones. I'm doing most 3-turn practice on the short axis (aka hockey lines) but I know I need to step it up and move on to the actual test pattern. I found I needed to review/practice BO and BI transitions at the line - revisting the consecutive edges move.

As for a passing timetable, I've seen/heard of anything from 1 year to 2 or 3 years or even more, depending on how much practice time is devoted to moves and how often someone actually skates.

Joan
06-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I've been working on them for about a year. I am seeing steady improvement, but I know that I am no-where near passing yet. I can hope it will only be another year to get ready. :frus: When I finally pass them, I am going to feel like I really accomplished something! It will be a bigger accomplishment to me than learning an axel, even though I may in fact never learn an axel.

mikawendy
06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I think the 3 turns, the forward power pulls, and the back cross strokes will be hardest for me. I have the least flow and energy in those moves. My back cross strokes are really scratchy, even when I really try to sit down and get off my toes.

Oh, and the FO-BO mohawk is "interesting"--I just learned that last week and it's pretty ugly right now!! :P

lovepairs
06-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I worked on them for about a year, and passed my first try. As I recalled, I think they are very interested in seeing good geometry. In other words, all of your three turns placed where the diagram says they should be. On the eight step Mohawk good flow. Spirals: nice position on both lets each spiral 1/2 of the rink on the long axis. Slide Sache, just that you have some control over this thing...this is what I remember. Have fun with them! :P

Hannahclear
06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I think the spirals are gone now, right?

jazzpants
06-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I think the spirals are gone now, right?Pre-prelim spirals are STILL on the Adult Silver Moves test. It's the Inside Slide Chasse that's gone... to Adult Gold Moves! Power pulls are in place of the Inside Slide Chasse!

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/mif_test_elements_adult.htm

emma
06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Three months from learning to passing. Judges want to see a consistant pattern and long axis that does not waver also candence is important ! Power really helps although they say flow they really like power and they all remarked on it

Joan
06-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Pre-prelim spirals are STILL on the Adult Silver Moves test.

And I'm so glad they are, because "maybe" I can get an extra tenth or two on that one to compensate for a below passing avg. on one of the other moves!

Hannahclear
06-27-2006, 11:34 AM
And I'm so glad they are, because "maybe" I can get an extra tenth or two on that one to compensate for a below passing avg. on one of the other moves!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing this morning after I read jazzpants post! There's one move I can pass. :lol:

My first silver lesson today. Not too bad. I can do most of the 3 turns in the field pretty well. My edges have really improved since I last worked on these and three out of four felt fairly secure.

We also did powerpulls and 8 step mohawk. I think I'm getting the hang of power pulls, though I am not getting 1/2 the length of the rink yet, more like a third. :P Eight step mohawk is just going to take time.

I like the moves though.

doubletoe
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Two things that helped me a lot:

1. Always point the toes as you bring the foot down backwards for the 2nd half of the mohawk. I forgot that detail a few times and planted the back of my blade in the ice while the rest of me kept going. Nasty nasty hip bruises!

2. For the back cross rolls, don't place your foot *behind* the skating foot when you push off onto the next back outside edge. Instead, point the free foot and bring it down onto the ice a little behind but to the SIDE of the skating foot. Then slide it into place on the ice on a diagonal, heel first and push off onto it. Also, don't come up until AFTER you've pushed off onto the new foot. Stay deeply bent for the transfer.

doubletoe
06-27-2006, 11:53 AM
P.S. It took me 5 months from my first lesson until I passed the test (practicing 2 hours per week, but more like 3 hours per week for the last 3-4 weeks).

TimDavidSkate
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
all I can say from experience .... patience :halo: ... Im still dealing with Silver MIF 8O

dbny
06-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Here's a tip on the 8 step Mohawk that I've never seen anyone teach except my former coach, and I think it's truly invaluable. Rotate your shoulders strongly so your back is to the circle on step 2. You are then prepared for the Mohawk and have only to deal with your hips on steps 3 and 4. For those of us with poor turnout, this technique is almost a necessity.

renatele
06-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Here's a tip on the 8 step Mohawk that I've never seen anyone teach except my former coach, and I think it's truly invaluable. Rotate your shoulders strongly so your back is to the circle on step 2. You are then prepared for the Mohawk and have only to deal with your hips on steps 3 and 4. For those of us with poor turnout, this technique is almost a necessity.

Yep, definitely makes it much esier (BTW that tip is also mentioned on PSA's MITF tapes).

Another very helpful, though obvious thing: keep your lean into the circle. I've been reminded of it on this forum, and it surely isn't something I didn't already know, but used to consistently "forget".

jenlyon60
06-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Think of your back leaning against a giant upside-down ice cream cone.

If you lose your lean, the mohawk is liable to become a choctaw, or very wide-footed, or even a funky FI mohawk with major posture problems.

Judges have been known to retry the MIF if the mohawk isn't clearly an FO-BO mohawk.

Also the cross-in-front at step 7 SHOULD NOT be a back crossover. It's easy to slur it into a back crossover, but it is not.

FrankR
06-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Yup. My coach used to tell me to think of leaning against a giant Christmas Tree. :lol: Either way, the point is the same and thinking of that particular aspect of the move is very helpful.

dbny
06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Yep, definitely makes it much esier (BTW that tip is also mentioned on PSA's MITF tapes).

Must be where she got it; I know she has the tapes. I've watched but never noticed it there :roll:.

doubletoe
06-28-2006, 11:27 AM

If you lose your lean, the mohawk is liable to become a choctaw, or very wide-footed, or even a funky FI mohawk with major posture problems.

Judges have been known to retry the MIF if the mohawk isn't clearly an FO-BO mohawk.

Also the cross-in-front at step 7 SHOULD NOT be a back crossover. It's easy to slur it into a back crossover, but it is not.

Are you sure you mean step 7? I passed this MIF test and also demonstrated this move for a judges' training seminar recently, and here's how I've always done it:

Step 1: LFO
Step 2: RFI progressive
Step 3: LFO (first half of mohawk)
Step 4: RBO (2nd half of mohawk)
Step 5: LBI
Step 6: RBO
Step 7: LBI crossover
Step 8: RFI

jenlyon60
06-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes, step 7. I was taught that it shouldn't be a "back crossover" like with a major power push.

More like a cross-step with neat feet than a "backwards crossover"

doubletoe
06-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes, step 7. I was taught that it shouldn't be a "back crossover" like with a major power push.

More like a cross-step with neat feet than a "backwards crossover"

That's true, there's definitely not a big power push. It's done with feet close together so it's very "neat" and shallow, just crossing at the ankles, not the legs.

Joan
06-28-2006, 11:51 AM

A few months ago, our rink hosted a seminar taught by Mike Tamres (PSA master rated in MIF and other things). In a private lesson with him, he showed me that strategy. I still cannot do a decent outside mohawk, yet, but I think the alignment of the shoulders on step two does help.

dbny
06-28-2006, 12:27 PM
That's true, there's definitely not a big power push. It's done with feet close together so it's very "neat" and shallow, just crossing at the ankles, not the legs.

ITA. It's actually a dance move; a "Cross Front" rather than a crossover. There is only one push involved, and that is the one from the BI edge when stepping forward.

jenlyon60
06-28-2006, 12:29 PM

that's what I meant... my choice of wording obviously made sense to me but not to others.

And actually I realized a couple weeks ago (after working on the Killian for 2 1/2 months) that the last bit of the 8-step mohawk sequence is eerily like the last couple steps of the Killian. Especially when done at a good crisp tempo.

mikawendy
06-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Yup, my coach teaches it that way, too. Now if I could only get my shoulders to cooperate *after* the FO-BO mohawk....

dbny
06-28-2006, 06:13 PM
If I could only get up the nerve to start working on it again! I've seen my daughter take too many very hard falls backwards on that miserable FO Mohawk 8O. That's a move that is much easier on roller skates, since it's done heel to heel and there's no chance of stepping on your own blade or locking the tail of one blade in the arch of the other boot.