View Full Version : New skater with new skates

thadine
04-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Hi! I've been lurking around the forums, avidly reading, but this is my very first post. I started skating in January (group lessons), and have been really conscious of trying not to bore my friends to death with endless skating talk, so it's so great to have a community that understands the obsession!
I just got my very first skates the other day. They are so amazing after having only used horrible dull, plastic, ill-fitting rentals. Just a few questions...

I see a lot of people talking about breaking in new skates. When would you consider your skates to be broken in? I assume there's no specific point at which you say, "Today my skates are broken in". Is it just when they don't have that "new" feeling anymore?

Also, I've read the posts about skate care, and I understand about drying them, and only storing them in the soakers, but using the hard guards for walking around in, etc. Do you put the hard guards on straight away when you come off the ice? Obviously your blades will be wet (and covered with ice) at that point. Or do you put the soakers on, and walk on them to get to your towel? Are you blades protected enough with just the soakers on?

cassarilda
04-30-2006, 07:17 AM
generally, put your hard blade guards on when putting them on (you should put them on with the whole blade on the ground - not just the base.. if that makes sense)... then you walk to the gate to the rink, take your hard blade guards off, store them somewhere along the rink edge (you'll find somewhere ;) ), and when you get off, I generally swipe my blade clean before putting on the hard blade covers...

Then wander back to take boots off... THEN I take off the hard covers, and dry my blades... that is when the soft covers/soakers go on.

I store my blades in the soakers, but I leave my hard blade covers out to dry them out.

The reason you wear the hard ones are so youre blades dont get divets in them from hard surfaces.... if you leave them on, the water collects in the holder, and against the blade, they will get rusty... rusty blades arent good.

does that help? :)

thadine
04-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Yes, thanks - so you put them on your wet blades... I kinda figured that must be it, since I really can't imagine a bunch of skaters standing at the edge of the ice trying to dry their blades before putting the guards on :) How do you dry out the hard guards, though? Is it enough to just let them air dry?

CanAmSk8ter
04-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Air-drying is fine. You'll always want to open up your bag when you get home so your skates air out a bit (trust me, they'll really start to stink if you don't) and your guards will dry out ok. After awhile guards start to get dirt on the inside, especially in the winter when people are tracking sand into the rink on their shoes. That can start to dull your blades, so when you notice that, just pop them in the dishwasher. Seriously.

Evelina
04-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi,

As for breaking skates in, when I got mine about 2 months ago I was told in the shop that it will probably take about 10 skating sessions to break them in fully. They were right, it took a while of skating through pain but it was worth it, once broken in I could skate in my boots for hours without a problem.

Hope this helps,
Evelina

Isk8NYC
04-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Yes, thanks - so you put them on your wet blades... I kinda figured that must be it, since I really can't imagine a bunch of skaters standing at the edge of the ice trying to dry their blades before putting the guards on :) How do you dry out the hard guards, though? Is it enough to just let them air dry?

Some people do wipe their blades before putting on their hard guards.

When you're done skating, take off your skates, dry your blades (an old rag, hand towel, or a chamois cloth will do) and then put on the soakers.

The hard guards can just air-dry. Once in a while, rinse them out or run them through the diswasher to get out any grit that's worked its way inside the grooves.

dbny
04-30-2006, 06:58 PM
They are now making soakers with a reinforced bottom strip that I think must be so you can walk around in them without cutting them to shreds. I don't like the idea anyway, as they are sure to get wet, and the whole point of soakers is to keep your blades dry.

beachbabe
04-30-2006, 07:02 PM
as soon as you get off the ice you put your hard guards on, i try to do it right as I get off to avoid having the blades coming in contact with anything other than ice or hard guards.

After you get your skates off, remove the hard guards and wipe down your boots and the blade. Then just put on the soft covers and you're good to go.

You'll know your boots are broken in, when you can actually bend your knees and ankles and feel confortable skating for a long time.

Casey
04-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Hard to put a finger on it - my skates were comfortable within a week or so, but they feel different every month that I skate - sometimes in better ways, sometimes worse. Skates are like shoes (really durable shoes, anyways - like hiking boots) - they will feel different as they break down over time. When they're fresh and new your feet won't be accustomed to them so they might be uncomfortable and this may put you off - just bear with it and all will get better.

Sooner or later you won't really notice your skates at all, and then they'll stop having the support you need to perform whatever you're working on, so then it's time for a new set!

thadine
04-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Having only used rentals before, my new skates are *incredibly* comfortable. So I suppose they're going to get even more comfortable... ;) Can't wait!

Tennisany1
05-01-2006, 12:13 AM
I was told to run boiling water through the hard guards to clean the out. Boy, was that a mistake. :roll: I couldn't figure out why my little one couldn't get her own guards on when she got off the ice - I'd melted the plastic a bit and they not longer fit! I'll have to try the dishwasher next time.

Casey
05-01-2006, 05:19 AM
I was told to run boiling water through the hard guards to clean the out. Boy, was that a mistake. :roll: I couldn't figure out why my little one couldn't get her own guards on when she got off the ice - I'd melted the plastic a bit and they not longer fit! I'll have to try the dishwasher next time.
...or just use steamy, but not boiling, water instead :)

Rainbowsprite
05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi,

As for breaking skates in, when I got mine about 2 months ago I was told in the shop that it will probably take about 10 skating sessions to break them in fully. They were right, it took a while of skating through pain but it was worth it, once broken in I could skate in my boots for hours without a problem.

Hope this helps,
Evelina

Hi, i'm also a new skater, is it usual to only be able to wear new skates for about 5 minutes before having to crawl off the ice and remove them! If I don't tie them tight enough then I'm all over the ice (and not in a graceful manner!) but if I tie them correctly then the pain all over my foot is crippling. Any advice:?:
(also, they are not expensive leather boots i'm afraid )

Isk8NYC
05-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi, i'm also a new skater, is it usual to only be able to wear new skates for about 5 minutes before having to crawl off the ice and remove them! If I don't tie them tight enough then I'm all over the ice (and not in a graceful manner!) but if I tie them correctly then the pain all over my foot is crippling. Any advice:?:

You poor thing. Sounds like the boots are too tight/small. If your toes are feeling a bit banged up, the size is definitely wrong. If your feet are cramped, the boots might be too narrow. Try wearing thinner footwear or ask the pro shop to give them a stretch.

I will also say that my feet kill me when I switch from street shoes (heels or loose flats) to my skates without stretching my feet a bit. No problem when I switch from sneakers to skates.

VegasGirl
05-03-2006, 06:37 AM
The reason you wear the hard ones are so youre blades dont get divets in them from hard surfaces.... if you leave them on, the water collects in the holder, and against the blade, they will get rusty... rusty blades arent good.

I've been storing my skates with the hard guards on for over 2 years now and absolutely no rust in sight. I put the skates on with the guards attached, walk on them to the rink then take them off at the gate and keep them on the side. When I get off the ice I swipe the ice off the blades with my gloves and walk to the bench with guards in hand not on blades. There I dry my blades thoroughly with a soft cloth and then put the hard guards (which are perfectly dry) on and then store my skates in my skate bag. I like keeping the hard guards on for protection from getting banged up in the trunk etc. I don't even own a pair of soakers. :)

Isk8NYC
05-03-2006, 06:48 AM
I've been storing my skates with the hard guards on for over 2 years now and absolutely no rust in sight. I put the skates on with the guards attached, walk on them to the rink then take them off at the gate and keep them on the side. When I get off the ice I swipe the ice off the blades with my gloves and walk to the bench with guards in hand not on blades. There I dry my blades thoroughly with a soft cloth and then put the hard guards (which are perfectly dry) on and then store my skates in my skate bag. I like keeping the hard guards on for protection from getting banged up in the trunk etc. I don't even own a pair of soakers. :)The hard guards are not intended to be used for storage: they're to protect your blades while walking off-ice. (Keeps blades from getting dull/damaged.) Since you're putting dry guards on almost-dry blades, it's not doing any major damage. Assuming you still live in Las Vegas, the thorough drying and desert climate are your saviors. If you skate frequently, the guards aren't staying on the blades for days at a time. Your method is NOT recommended by the majority of skaters/blade manufacturers.

I've seen blades with the "dark marks" along the edges - one dark spot for every "bump" where the hard guard touched the blade in storage. The dark spots are the beginning of rust. This from skates stored with the guards on for less than a day or two.

gt20001
05-03-2006, 08:37 AM

I also had a very similar experience to this i had very cheap very low level boots and when i put them on they were so painful i had to stop skating every 10 minutes to loosen them up and sometimes take them off and i had to tie them really loose if i tied them tight that was unbearable. I also had this sharp pain under the ball of my foot sometimes and i thought something was sticking me and there wasnt anything there. This went on for about a month when i finally decided to get new skates i went to a good skate shop not a pro shop (i was fitted for my first pair in a pro shop) and the good skate shop told me that my skates were too long and toooo narrow i got new skates that actually were a proper fit and all the problems and pain i had initially went away even though my new boots were extremely stiff i didnt have to get off every 10 minutes even on the first day becuase they werent hurting me like the old skates were. I would probably check your fit and see if that is your problem too.

Rainbowsprite
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I also had a very similar experience to this i had very cheap very low level boots and when i put them on they were so painful i had to stop skating every 10 minutes to loosen them up and sometimes take them off and i had to tie them really loose if i tied them tight that was unbearable. I also had this sharp pain under the ball of my foot sometimes and i thought something was sticking me and there wasnt anything there. This went on for about a month when i finally decided to get new skates i went to a good skate shop not a pro shop (i was fitted for my first pair in a pro shop) and the good skate shop told me that my skates were too long and toooo narrow i got new skates that actually were a proper fit and all the problems and pain i had initially went away even though my new boots were extremely stiff i didnt have to get off every 10 minutes even on the first day becuase they werent hurting me like the old skates were. I would probably check your fit and see if that is your problem too.

Thanks, I really need to look into a different pair of boots! I'm only skating for the exercise rather than competing so thought a cheap pair would do..... obviously not! Does anyone know somewhere in the UK (Devon in particular) that I could purchase a decent pair, or be fitted for a pair? My rink seems to have Risport boots advertised but none of the staff seem to know anything about them, only prices and how soon they'll arrive. :frus:

Mrs Redboots
05-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks, I really need to look into a different pair of boots! I'm only skating for the exercise rather than competing so thought a cheap pair would do..... obviously not! Does anyone know somewhere in the UK (Devon in particular) that I could purchase a decent pair, or be fitted for a pair? My rink seems to have Risport boots advertised but none of the staff seem to know anything about them, only prices and how soon they'll arrive. :frus:Risport are okay, unless you want to travel to be fitted!

But yes, it's fairly normal for your boots to be uncomfortable the first few times you wear them.

Try tying them a little looser over the foot (don't pull them tight, just so there's no slack in the laces), then tightening them at the ankle (do a single knot there to help you pull), then loosening them very slightly as you get to the top. Wind the laces over the hooks from the top of the hook to the underside, rather than just flicking them round, you can control the amount of pressure more easily that way. And wear pop socks or silk socks rather than anything thicker. That sounds counter-intuitive, but it works!

VegasGirl
05-03-2006, 07:47 PM
The hard guards are not intended to be used for storage: they're to protect your blades while walking off-ice. (Keeps blades from getting dull/damaged.)

Well, that may be but I do remember a time when they didn't even have soakers redaily available on the market.
Regardless, it works for me and I use them for a reason... like with most matters there's not just one right that fits all. ;)

Since you're putting dry guards on almost-dry blades, it's not doing any major damage.

It's not doing any damage at all. :)

Assuming you still live in Las Vegas, the thorough drying and desert climate are your saviors. If you skate frequently, the guards aren't staying on the blades for days at a time.

No, I dont live in Vegas anymore, far from it clear across the country in NY and thus not in esert climate any more. But the climate here doesn't make a difference since I dry my blades thoroughly as I mentioned and keep my guards dry.
On average I skate twice a week, Tu & Thu and the guards are on 24/7 the rest of the week, as well as about 22 hours on skating days... so I'd say they're definitely more on than off.

Your method is NOT recommended by the majority of skaters/blade manufacturers.

That may be, but as it doesn't harm my blades it really makes no difference to me and if asked I'm not ashamed to say how I take care f my skates. :)

I've seen blades with the "dark marks" along the edges - one dark spot for every "bump" where the hard guard touched the blade in storage. The dark spots are the beginning of rust. This from skates stored with the guards on for less than a day or two.

Oh, I believe you that you've seen that... just as I've seen blades with plenty of dings in them from getting banged around without proper protection... which is why I do what I do.
My blades have absolutely no "dark marks" or any sign of rust on them and my coach periodically checked his students' skates... his comment to me was always how great my blades look and that I must be taking good care of them.

Look, I'm not tying to start anything here... just simply writing down my experience with my skates/blades... nowhere did I write that it was better in general or recommended by the pros... all I said was what works for me and why.

Isk8NYC
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
I was speaking from the "don't make the same mistakes I made" soapbox, trying to be helpful. I guess I hit a nerve. Sorry Vegas.

BTW, your coach inspects your skates?

VegasGirl
05-04-2006, 03:04 PM
BTW, your coach inspects your skates?

Yeah, every once in a while to see if they need sharpening, especially with beginning skaters or when asked... as well as to see if new skates are breaking in properly.

And no, you didn't really hit a nerve...

flippet
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
I put the skates on with the guards attached, walk on them to the rink then take them off at the gate and keep them on the side.

When I get off the ice I swipe the ice off the blades with my gloves and walk to the bench with guards in hand not on blades.

Um, not to be snarky here, but doesn't that defeat the purpose? I mean, if you're going to walk on a bare blade one direction, why even bother to walk with the guards the other direction?

Hard guards are meant to protect your blade from nicks caused by stepping on grit that's left on the mats from people's street shoes (and protect the stray finger or toe that you might wind up stepping on, too). If you want to use them in your bag, that's up to you. But if you're that concerned about your blades, I can't figure out why you wouldn't want to protect them while walking on them. If you insist on not using soakers, why don't you get two pairs of hard guards--one for walking both ways (this pair might get wet), and one pair that stays dry for your bag?

Skittl1321
05-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Just to throw my experience into the pot- I was never told not to store my blades in hard guards and I have rust lines across the middle of my blades. (They were dried before they were put in hard guards for about 10 years). They were cheap blades to begin with, so no big deal, but they look really ugly.

After I had the blades sharpened the skates were perfectly useable just really ugly. They don't have dark rust lines, just light ones. If I paid a lot of money for them, I wouldn't risk it.

As for using hard guards, because i'm not in expensive blades I find them to be a pain in the butt walking to and from the benches. So I have to sharpen my blades a bit more often than i should since I don't use them.

aussieskater
05-06-2006, 01:20 AM
I learned from one of the better skaters at the rink to walk around on my toepicks. No need for hard guards from the bench to the ice, and no dulled blades. It works, although I do look a bit of a galoot...but since since I started doing it, I've noticed many others doing the same (they were doing it long before me - I just didn't know what they were doing). So we're all galoots together. :)

Rusty Blades
05-06-2006, 03:32 AM
I started skating the first time in the days before soakers and it was common to slip the hard guards on as soon as you stepped off the ice. Every serious skater did everything they could to ensure their edges didn't get damaged. Except for wiping the snow off your blade, I don't remember anybody drying their blades back then (30 years ago) and I don't remember anybody having a problem with rust, as long as the skates weren't stored long-term in the hard guards. It could be that the steel was different - more chromium - which would have made it much more rust-resistant but softer. From what I have read about today's blades it seems they are a harder steel but more prone to rust, which would agree with my own experience. When I started skating again in January I didn't even know what "soakers" were and left the hard guards on for a few days. When I checked my edges a few days later, I found some small spots of surface rust in the hollows (eventhough my house is VERY dry in the winter).

Now I put the hard guards on as soon as I step off the ice. In the dressing room I dry my blades and put the soakers on before I put my skates in my bag. I have even seen cold blades "sweat" after drying if the humidity is high. When I get home, I unpack my skating bag and everything gets hung up to dry, including my skates. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/northernjane1974/SkateRack.jpg

I like using the soakers to protect my edges in transport (and protect everything else in my bag from the sharp edges!) and the hard guards to protect them when I have to walk in my skates. My boots & blades represent a significant investment and they are "tools" I rely on when I am on the ice so I try to look after them and "baby" them - that's just me....

VegasGirl
05-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Um, not to be snarky here, but doesn't that defeat the purpose? I mean, if you're going to walk on a bare blade one direction, why even bother to walk with the guards the other direction?

Because they're already on... ;) and I don't walk back on them because I want to be able to dry the blades thoroughly before putting the guards back on.

But if you're that concerned about your blades,

Honestly I'm not at all concerned about them... I dry them to prevent rust so they'll last... I put the guards on to protect them from being banged around (and I guess a bit too to protect my bag 8-) )... and I have them sharpened when the edges wear off... just simple measures to keep them in good shape. If you think that's 'blade abuse' you should see what little I do for my boots... absolutely nothing! :halo:

If you insist on not using soakers, why don't you get two pairs of hard guards--one for walking both ways (this pair might get wet), and one pair that stays dry for your bag?

I don't know what you guys' hangup is with the guard issue... there's no insistance here, it just is... that's all. I bought the hard guards with the skates (as I said a little over 2 years ago) because that's what you did back when I got the only other pair of skates I've ever owned... by now that's about 25-30 years ago... maybe old habits die hard. ;)
I don't see the need for a second pair of guards be it hard guards or soaker, so why spend the money?

SpiralSweetie09
05-07-2006, 05:46 PM
I remember when I was new.
I'll try to answer some of your questions.
1. I was one of the skaters who would bore her friends to death with talks about flips and spins, and spirals. They'd be like, "What... are you talking about? A double salt cow?" (salchow) but some of my friends were fascinated, and a good way to bond with your buds is taking them to the rink. Ok, to break in your skates, you will feel as if your really comfortable in them. And they wont feel super-stiff. Mine seemed to be broke in relatively fast. Just keep skating on them. As for the water... I have a skate blade towel, a special towel that absorbs water easily, they sort of feel like velvet. And I bought mine at MC sporting goods in the hockey section. As long as you wipe your blades down i dont think you need to worry about them rusting. Mine never do. You can put your skateguards on AFTER you wipe your blades down. For the hard guards, you can put them on right after you walk off the ice, but make sure you wipe them down very quickly after that. Mainly, don't worry, It is nearly impossible for you to ruin your blades, no matter how new you are to figure skating, take it from me, I was new a couple of years ago. If all else fails, ask your coach, they can tell you whats best.
Best of luck in skating!
~Lauren~

SkatingOnClouds
05-08-2006, 03:50 AM

Well, I have expensive leather boots, have always had "good" leather boots, and have the same problem.

What I have found is that I have to tighten the laces around the foot not too much, and make them snug around the ankle. Then I go out and skate a couple of laps, do a few laps of crossovers to warm up. Then I go over the the barrier and tighten the laces again. Once I've warmed up more by doing some edges and basic turns, I probably tighten them a bit more. Sometimes they need tightening again later in the session.

If I tighten them too much to begin with, my feet cramp, they're in agony, so I have to go off ice, loosen off the laces completely and get my feet out of them for a few minutes. I have learned that tightening them fully at the start just doesn't work for me, and I have always been like that. Maybe at the beginning of the session I am tense and my feet scrunch up or something.

By the way, Risports are known to have rather high, narrow insteps, so if you have flattish arches, you might want to consider something else. Don't know how much Jacksons are in the UK, they're good value for money in Oz.

About blade guards, Yeah Rusty Blades, there weren't soakers when I started. I towel-dried them, when I got home I smeared the blades with vaseline so they wouldn't rust. Soakers are much less hassle.