View Full Version : Teaching Adults

dbny
01-23-2006, 08:15 PM
There have recently been two injuries in an adult class that I have assisted with, which has made me examine the techniques used in teaching that class. There are always at least two coaches with this group of six to eight adults. All of the adults are moving and all are doing F and B swizzles fairly smoothly. The problem I see is that the coaches are competitive coaches and young adults. They always seem to begin any move with the command "arms UP!" and then raise their arms in example almost over their shoulders. In my experience, adults and all beginners, are much more stable with their arms at waist height, "on the table".

The first injury happened when the class was working on snowplow stops. With arms "UP", and knees straight, one woman slipped off the backs of her blades and hit her head hard enough to have headaches and go for an MRI. She fell just as I was calling out "bend your knees!", which the lead coach had not mentioned at all. Then last week, another woman caught her toe pick on F crossovers, which we have all done, and broke her knee cap 8O! I highly recommend the soft knee pads to my adult students, but no mention was made of that to this group. I also teach lifting the under toe before I ever let an adult attempt a crossover. I want to see that toe come up and not point at the ice, as the best insurance against catching the toe pick. Sooner or later, one of my adult students may get injured, and if/when that happens, I hope it is not because of a mistake I have made or of some bit of instruction that I have left out. I don't want to blame the coaching for the recent injuries in this group, but I can't help but notice that the adults are being taught as if they were kids. Some one calm me down, I want to scream!

mikawendy
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Sorry to hear about the injuries and your frustration, dbny. Would the rink let you put together a short informational brochure that you could hand out with registration materials (before people have even registered)? That might help some think about getting knee pads before their first session on ice (and boy, do I wish I had had my knee pads before the first time I tried my 2nd pair of skates on the ice. I had upgraded to a better blade and went to a stroking class near the pro shop and caught a toepick on fast Russian stroking.... owieeee).

I guess a brochure wouldn't fully solve the issue of the other coaches remembering to remind the skaters to bend their knees, lift their under foot the right way, etc. Do the lesson coaches ever chat together before teaching? Maybe you could talk to them from your experience as being an adult skater? Would they be receptive to that?

dbny
01-23-2006, 10:07 PM
All good ideas, Mikawendy, but I'm low on the totem pole there, and don't feel comfortable with anything that could possibly be construed as a criticism. I also have very little invested there. I guess I just needed to vent and get a little feedback on whether or not I'm being overly picky.

Isk8NYC
01-24-2006, 07:38 AM
I demonstrate chest height with good posture. Adults tend to always go lower than what you demonstrate, whether out of modesty or comfort. If you show them waist height, they'll be at hip height. Pre-Teens and Teenagers are even worse - I actually asked one group if they HAD THE USE OF THEIR ARMS! (muttering to myself: Dragging around like monkeys!)

For stopping, I use the keywords "Feet together, bend your knees, hands on the table, make-a-pizza-pie." That brings their hands to waist height before they stop.

For skating forward, tell my students (children and adults) "arms up in front" so they have good posture and alignment. Keeping hands at waist level when skating forward is a bit too low for beginners. They really need a few inches higher to keep them from pitching forward onto their knees if they trip.

When students trip on toepicks, they either fall correctly, flail their arms over their heads and fall backwards, or they lower their arms in front to catch themselves. (Lucky you: you got to see all three in one class!) If their hands are at waist height to start with, they're all set to fall forward, which is not what we want. If their hands are at chest height, they have more space to lower them and catch their balance before they fall.

Falling is a part of skating and you're right: all adults should be prepared to fall. If you know you have easily damaged body parts, protect them. Maybe you could just chat up the adult skaters and recommend the knee pads. I believe you wear them everytime you skate, right?

flippet
01-24-2006, 09:04 AM
The problem I see is that the coaches are competitive coaches and young adults. They always seem to begin any move with the command "arms UP!" and then raise their arms in example almost over their shoulders. In my experience, adults and all beginners, are much more stable with their arms at waist height, "on the table".

I don't want to blame the coaching for the recent injuries in this group, but I can't help but notice that the adults are being taught as if they were kids. Some one calm me down, I want to scream!

I think you're probably right, to an extent, that the coaching is slightly deficient. In my (very limited) experience, coaches that teach kids, and who learned as kids, don't always understand that adults think differently, and thus need to be instructed differently. I'm not a coach (although I sometimes desperately wish I had more skating experience so that I could be), but in my adult lesson group, I would often rephrase or add to what the coach was saying for the benefit of the other adults...and suddenly they understood. My coach was great, but she'd learned as a kid, and was currently coaching the college synchro team...all made up of girls who'd skated as kids.

I agree that the best arm position for stability for those who don't bend their knees well is at about waist-to-chest height. Any higher, and the shoulders come up around the ears, which throws off balance and center of gravity. Any lower, and again, center of gravity is off. And any coach of adults who doesn't repeat 'bend your knees!' to the point of exhaustion, needs to have it explained to them just how necessary it is. :)

garyc254
01-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Not having started to skate until I was 47, I learned the hard way how learning to skate is different for adults. Actually, all of the lessons you teach the kids can be used on adults, but with lots of explanation of the physics.

Hands on the table.
Never let your arms go behind your body.
If you feel off balance, grab your knees and glide.
Bend your knees or you will fall.

I remember trying to learn backward wiggles. I couldn't comprehend the concept. Finally I told my coach "Is this what you want me to do?" and proceeded to do c-cuts. She told me that was where she was trying to get me to.

Also had a parent thank me last night for giving a lesson before her daughter's first class on how to properly size rental skates.

To watch their child walk across the floor on their skates. If they wobble there, they'll wobble on the ice.

How to properly lace skates. Don't wrap the excess lacing around their ankles.

And how once they found a pair that fit to remember the number on the bottom so they could get them again next time.

Same lesson goes for beginner adults.

`

dbny
01-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I demonstrate chest height with good posture. Adults tend to always go lower than what you demonstrate, whether out of modesty or comfort. If you show them waist height, they'll be at hip height. ...

When students trip on toepicks, they either fall correctly, flail their arms over their heads and fall backwards, or they lower their arms in front to catch themselves.

I respectfully disagree with you there. I tell all my skaters "hands on table, belly button height". I see arms go up all the time. Most particularly, I see it in this class where the coaches are actually demonstrating what I call "airplane arms", and the adults do get them up to their shoulders and their shoulders up to their ears. I have my students check their arm height by putting their thumbs on their belly buttons and then out from there.

I've actually never seen a toepick trip result in a backwards fall. I see lots of leaning back when trying to cross over though, and high arms contribute to that, IMO.

Isk8NYC
01-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, we can disagree respectfully. You're absolutely right that "airplane arms" are useless, but I'll keep my demos at chest height, thank you. I dont' want them lower on my students.

I have seen the propeller arms land students on their backs - usually kids because adults prefer to see where they're falling. You're right: a toepick trip won't necessarily do it, but a slight wobble or "caught in the crack" does trigger it among the wild things! LOL

dbny
01-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I have seen the propeller arms land students on their backs - usually kids because adults prefer to see where they're falling. You're right: a toepick trip won't necessarily do it, but a slight wobble or "caught in the crack" does trigger it among the wild things! LOL

That's one of those things I hope I never see!

Bothcoasts
01-24-2006, 10:58 AM
As previous postings have suggested, adult students tend to take anything you say literally. If a coach says "arms up" and puts her arms above her shoulders, the adult students will put their arms in the air.

Given that, even as a junior coach, you can make a point of demonstrating the proper way to skate. When you start off, tell your students that different coaches suggest different arm positions, but that you've found that keeping their hands low on the table will provide them with enough balance to keep them steady without tiring their arms. Demonstrate this position and try to maintain it as much as you can during a lesson. Tell them that you'll remind them to hold their arms on the table by saying "arms up" during a lesson. In that way, you're not second-guessing what another coach says or does--you're just giving your adult skaters an additional learning tool.

Asking adult students to keep their hands on the table works well for multiple reasons. Adults tend to concentrate harder than children on individual elements and on the proper position for each body part. The less they have to worry about their hands, the better. Because their hands are low, they won't tire as easily.

For me, the biggest reason why I ask adult skaters to keep their hands on the table is so that it also teaches them to keep their hands--and weight--forward. When running, if you move forward too quickly and start to trip, your instict is to do "windmill arms," flailing your arms backward in the hopes of slowing down. Because the skater's center of balance has shifted that much farther forward on the blade, flailing arms backwards often results in the skater's sliding off the back of the skates. Adults' higher center of gravity--coupled by their often-ingrained assumption that flailing will prevent a fall--makes a severe tailbone injury a problem that I've witnessed on a couple of occasions when weight has shifted too far back on the blades. Teaching adults to keep their hands on the table allows them to concentrate on their feet and legs while also ensuring that their weight stays forward on the blade.

garyc254
01-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree with "hands on the table" for adults when they're first learning stability on the ice. The shoulder high arms can come later and they should be told this.

Although I must admit that when I started, I had two coaches. One taught arms up and the other at waist height.

`

Summerkid710
01-24-2006, 11:35 AM
With adults, I use "Arms Out", "Soft Knees", and "Chin Up". "Arms Up" does have a weird connotation that adults tend to take literally. I have one student that I am constantly reminding to get her arms down because they always float above her shoulders. We also take the first class to teach falling.

Kevin Callahan
01-24-2006, 11:59 AM
This is where that idea of what constitutes a "child skater" comes in again. As I'm reading this, I don't remember ever learning half of the things I do to maintain my balance on the ice, or the "proper" way to fall. Yet, I did not figure skate as a child (other than really early on rentals). Hockey seems to have taught me quite a bit that has crossed over into my figure skating.

I tend to keep my arms at shoulder level at basically 10:00 and 2:00 (with variance, of course, depending on what exactly, I'm doing). I do recall earlier in life doing several flailing backwards movements and slipping off my blades. I don't do it anymore. Now, I fall at an angle of sorts (I twist and land with my body covering my hands to avoid unfortunately slicing from other skaters).

I'm not sure I'd be able to communicate many of the things I do, since I do them without thinking.

quarkiki2
01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
As an adult skater who has come from a dance background where everything came naturally and easy for me, I can say for sure that I always over-think everything and never throw caution to the wind a try something before knowing where every part of my body should be. I think the hardest thing about being an adult skater is fighting with brain, LOL! It is so easy for my mind to get around the concept of what my body SHOULD be doing and so hard for my body to actually DO it.

I think the most helpful thing I've ever done is to realize that the glass around the rink is reflective enough to use as a mirror. I can see my body position and it keeps my head and eyes up.

VegasGirl
01-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Hm, I learned skating as an adult (38) and I had no problems with following my coaches instructions to keep my arms up.
I think the biggest mistakes the coaches in that class make is that they don't take consideration of their students abilities... if you see someone having problems with what you're trying to teach don't force it, throttle down and take small baby steps.

dbny
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Hm, I learned skating as an adult (38) and I had no problems with following my coaches instructions to keep my arms up.
I think the biggest mistakes the coaches in that class make is that they don't take consideration of their students abilities... if you see someone having problems with what you're trying to teach don't force it, throttle down and take small baby steps.

Everyone is different. I've been working with one friend for over a year and she is still so scared that she can't commit to one foot, even though she is fully capable of it. I started another friend just a few weeks ago, and today, in her second lesson, she began stroking. In one day she learned F swizzles (and had a hard time learning), F alternating half swizzles, and moved on to actual stroking with a real glide and a proper push. Every time the first friend would come close to falling, or anything unexpected happened, she would tense up. The second friend, OTOH, found every new thing to be a big laugh. She was literally laughing out loud, and when she suddenly "got it" about how turning her shoulders changed her direction of travel, she laughed with joy so loud that the other adults all stopped and looked. They then all smiled at us, and later some came over to tell me how refreshing it was to hear someone so obviously enjoying learning to skate. It's personality, physique, muscle tone, experience, etc.

And yes, I haven't seen the coaches moving to each person to help with their particular problems. They act as if the students are all the same and just keep moving on :frus:

VegasGirl
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
See that's what I mean... learning to skate, especially at a more advanced age, should be all about having fun, because let's face it where is an adult going with it. That combined with the fact that older people aren't as resilient to injury as kids makes it so important IMHO that coaches pay attention to the individuals and not just throw them all in the same bucket.

garyc254
01-26-2006, 02:19 PM
... when she suddenly "got it" about how turning her shoulders changed her direction of travel

I explain that when I'm trying to teach new adults not to swing their arms. I tell them it's really not about their arms, but about their shoulders. If you swing your arms, your shoulders follow suit. So, while you're trying to skate straight, your shoulders are telling your feet "Go left! No, go right! No, go left! No, go right!" etc. :lol:

It's so much easier to teach adults the physics of skating.

8-)

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2006, 05:34 AM
See that's what I mean... learning to skate, especially at a more advanced age, should be all about having fun, because let's face it where is an adult going with it.
How about to international ISU-sanctioned competitions? Okay, against people of their own age and ability level, and it is about challenging oneself and pushing the envelope, not about becoming the best in the world. But international competition for adults is very real, so don't just think that adult skaters are only going to be poddling round their local rinks not doing anything much. Because it simply isnt' true. Even those of us who started in our 40s and 50s are competing cheerfully against one another and loving it.

VegasGirl
01-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Woa... no need to get offended!
I'm sure there's a handful of adult skaters that actually do end up going somewhere... just as there are older adults that participate in senior olympics etc... but I'm sure the vast majority just sticks to the recreational level and maybe some local 'for-fun' competitions. And hey, there's no shame in that, wuite on the contrary I think it's a great accomplishment!

Still, I stand firm in my opinion that learning to skate as an adult (especially an older adult) is totally different than learning to skate as a kid... and lessons should be layed out accordingly.

coskater64
01-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, I'd have to agree with Ms. Redboots...there are several hundred of us who show up each year to adult nationals and many started as adults. A few of us, about 70 last year, attended the first ISU sanctioned all adult competition and had a good time. We of course realize it's for fun but at least for me I will continue until I pass my Sr. moves (currently on my Jr.) and until I pass all my international dances. I know I can't pass higher than my Novice FS, but I was thrilled to pass my intermediate this fall. And who knows maybe I'll give it a try...Adults are generally realistic, but treating us as if we lack something is not very fair....

I keep my arms around 8 and 4 and I learned how to fall by falling.

While I'll never be an olympian, I can skate well and I will continue to do so along with all my peers in a sport we all love.

dbny
01-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Still, I stand firm in my opinion that learning to skate as an adult (especially an older adult) is totally different than learning to skate as a kid... and lessons should be layed out accordingly.

Hmm, did anyone say adults should be taught like kids? The USFS Basic Skills Program recognizes this and has specific Adult levels.

VegasGirl
01-28-2006, 02:20 PM
But apparently not in the context of this thread... and I thought that's what we're talking about here, not just in general.

Isk8NYC
01-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Hmm, did anyone say adults should be taught like kids?

I was looking at the ISI National Conference agenda. They have a session on teaching - get this - "Tots and Adults." I sincerely hope that the session addresses the special needs of both populaces.

Bothcoasts
01-28-2006, 05:07 PM
I was looking at the ISI National Conference agenda. They have a session on teaching - get this - "Tots and Adults." I sincerely hope that the session addresses the special needs of both populaces.

It could be an interesting session if it addresses the dual needs that coaches in "Parent and Tot" classes must meet. My rink offers "Parent and Tot" classes for pre-school kids and their parents; teaching kids to skate while simultaneously teaching their parents not only to skate, but also to help their kids on the ice, can be quite a challenge!

I teach a couple of semi-private lessons to parent/kid combos, and I've always enjoyed separating the very clear, technical descriptions that the parents seek from the "let's play a game and have fun" mentality I use when working with the kids. The parents also very much enjoy watching their kids play games and usually pick up some general suggestions they can offer to the kids during free skate. I would hope that the above session covers these types of issues instead of just lumping tots and adults into one category of basic skills students.

Chico
01-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Kids and adults probably learn different but I think in general that everyone learns in their own way/style. A good coach figures out how you learn and teaches to you. I learn best by watching what my coach wants. She can talk for hours, and I do understand in my head, but my body learns best by watching. I can mimic what I see much of the time but just hearing about it gives me too much to think about. There are so many steps in skating that you can stuck on a step if you can't "see" it as a whole. Besides, my body needs to feel what's right. Skating is a feeling to me.

Chico

EastonSkater
01-29-2006, 04:18 AM
What really amazes and puzzles me is why beginners aren't urged to wear protective gear when they're just learning. Some knee pads, light stack-hat, elbow pads...and maybe wrist guards. Teaching to fall is important, but not everybody has control over how they fall...especially beginners.

Oh yeah....and I agree, it's weird how beginners/adults are asked to have their arms up like that. That's a little be overboard. The arms should be down that's for sure.

CanAmSk8ter
01-29-2006, 09:36 AM
I think many (not all) new adults are just stiffer on the ice than beginning kids, often because of fear. Unfortunately, this can be a self-fulfilling prophecy in that, as we all know, the stiffer and more upright you are in the knees, the more likely you are to fall and to have it be a bad fall. Sometimes adults are just less fit or agile than your average seven-year-old, but the results can be the same, and it is scary. Luckily, adults generally have common sense about what is and isn't within their abilities at a given level, something I can't say for all of my young students ;) I was watching a woman taking the beginning adult class at my rink practice on a public session the other night. She's probably in her late forties and looks to be in decent shape, but she's one of the most timid adults I've ever seen. Ten minutes into the session she had just taken her hand off the wall but was still barely picking her feet up *at all*. I know that can be frustrating to a coach, but I'd rather have a student like that than one who skates around at speeds beyond his or her control; at least I knew this woman wasn't likely to get hurt.

The other thing the original post made me think of was whether these skaters have their skates too tight. When I have a student not bending his/her knees, even when I remind them, I check right away to see how the skates are tied. Almost always, especially with the kids, the top hook or two is way too tight. It's not an immediate fix, but it gets the skater to the point that when I remind them to bend, they can.

Isk8NYC
01-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Ten minutes into the session she had just taken her hand off the wall but was still barely picking her feet up *at all*. I know that can be frustrating to a coach, but I'd rather have a student like that than one who skates around at speeds beyond his or her control; at least I knew this woman wasn't likely to get hurt.

I agree that skating with control will reduce this woman's odds on getting hurt. However, being alert and able to move comfortably without fear is far better. Public sessions can be very dangerous with people going fast, losing control, or being distracted. Being afraid to protect yourself by moving out of the way makes you more of a hazard. Best bet is to manage your fears, pad your body parts, and learn how to glide, push, stop and most important: TURN! A student like this is very frustrating to teach in a group lesson {edited to add} without an assistant when the other students are already moving. Private lessons are a better bet until she's able to keep up with a class.

Just a footnote: I refer to her skating method as the "non-skater shuffle." That's where they waddle along trying not to lift up their feet at all. Many times, I've found that this is caused by skates that are dull, loose, oversized or too filled with double pairs of socks! The poster who mentioned the top hooks is correct too: you need to be able to bend your knees.

VegasGirl
01-29-2006, 05:12 PM
What really amazes and puzzles me is why beginners aren't urged to wear protective gear when they're just learning. Some knee pads, light stack-hat, elbow pads...and maybe wrist guards. Teaching to fall is important, but not everybody has control over how they fall...especially beginners.

I think they tend to not encourage that because ones you're used to these little security "blankets" it's hard, especially for an older adult, to let go of them. As for me, I think the protective gear would've done more "harm" than good because it would have felt cumbersome just as it feels awkward for me to skate in pants ever since I started skating in dresses.

dbny
01-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I think they tend to not encourage that because ones you're used to these little security "blankets" it's hard, especially for an older adult, to let go of them.

I think it's because the vast majority of coaches started skating as children and just never give it a thought. I banged my knees up enough with roller dance and skiing, that when I started skating at 53, it only took one whack on the knees to send me to Modell's for knee pads. I recommend them to all my adult beginners. They are especially good for the very scared ones, as they reduce the fear of injury. I even wore mine for testing. I took a pair of tights with runs in the toes, and cut them to make knee pad covers. DH didn't want to wear his when we were in a show one time, and of course, in the warm up, some kid zoomed right in front of him so he never had a chance.

As far as letting go of the security blanket, I didn't wear mine when I skated during a commercial shoot. I never noticed. I also have found myself on the ice teaching the tots and only realized that one knee pad was missing when I got on hands and knees to demo getting up.

Everyone is different, but I do think knee pads should be suggested to adults, especially those over 50 or overweight.

Mrs Redboots
01-30-2006, 08:49 AM
That's true, but I think the coaches are also looking forward to the time when the first tests are to be taken, and the first competitions entered - and if you learn to skate with all sorts of protective gear on, it's very difficult to learn to do without them. Even a pair of gloves - it took me a long time to learn to skate without gloves, or to be happy with them on or off.

My husband has dug out his wrist-brace now that he has taken up free skating again, but makes a point of removing it when we are working together.

Skate@Delaware
01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
When I started on jumps (at the "young" age of 42) I didn't think about my dependency on my protective gear......until one night at lessons (the one night I didn't have it on) when we were suddenly told that we were going to work on jumps (instead of spins)! I was a nervous wreck!!!

I realized at that point that I was becoming dependent on the gear. I didn't like feeling that way. I try not to wear it much now unless I'm working on loops or a new jump.

As for the gloves, I'm banned from wearing them in lessons, as they prevent me from knowing what my fingers look like (they tend to spread waaaaay out). I can ditch them, as I couldn't wear them in synchro anyway. My hands just get cold.

Tessie
02-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I realized at that point that I was becoming dependent on the gear. I didn't like feeling that way. I try not to wear it much now unless I'm working on loops or a new jump.

As for the gloves, I'm banned from wearing them in lessons, as they prevent me from knowing what my fingers look like (they tend to spread waaaaay out). I can ditch them, as I couldn't wear them in synchro anyway. My hands just get cold.

Not sure if it's dependency or reality. I fell on a three turn and landed on my wrist. The shift of my weight whilst still on my wrist turned what was a fracture into a break where my hand was virtually separated from my wrist. Being over 40 has it's issues with bones. I don't notice my wrist guards any more. For shows I skate without, but I will never forget two months of the pain of the pins and skrews holding my wrist back together and the dependency for driving and of course being off the ice.

It's an individual preference.

dbny
02-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Not sure if it's dependency or reality.

I'm sure. At almost 59, and having broken my right arm three times in my life, once at age 5, again at age 15, and lastly at age 54, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it is cold, hard reality.

Age 5 - green stick fracture, cast above elbow, no big deal, recovery unremarkable.

Age 15 - cracked ulna, cast up to elbow, no big deal, recovery unremarkable.

Age 54 - Colle's fracture of wrist, cast above elbow, miserable, recovery long and difficult with permanent problems.

JumpinBug
02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
The problem I've found is that people skate differently with protection on or off. It's more noticeable in kids, but adults do it too. I have both kids and adults that wear knee pads, and they tend to fall forwards much more frequently. Getting their balance further back is becoming a royal pain in the butt. I don't mind new kids starting out with them, but by the time they're going forwards and backwards with ease they need to come off (unless they're at higher risk for some reason).

Now a bum pad... absolutely. I'm surprised by wrist guards - I pretty much never see them. And in the last two years (knock on wood) I've only seen one broken wrist out of hundreds of kids/adults skating.

dbny
02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
The problem I've found is that people skate differently with protection on or off. It's more noticeable in kids, but adults do it too. I have both kids and adults that wear knee pads, and they tend to fall forwards much more frequently. Getting their balance further back is becoming a royal pain in the butt.

Interesting observation, but I've never seen it in my own students. What I see all the time is hesitant adults lose some fear with those knee pads in place. I don't recommend them for kids mostly because kids don't suffer the same consequences as adults. My own younger daughter wore knee pads for a short while when she went through a phase of whacking her knees pretty regularly. She also used crash pads for a while, but neither ever inhibited her skating.

dbny
02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Much to my delight and surprise, I am now officially co-teaching the adult class that I had been subbing in. I found out on Monday, when the adult class roster was on my clipboard under my Basic 1 class roster. The names on it were "Assistant Director & dbny". The director was out that day, so I still wasn't sure it was for real, and not just another sub job, but a coach friend at that rink told me the director told her I was getting the class! On top of that, the two women that I worked with in the class (I get the real beginners), both listened to me two weeks ago and showed up with smaller sized rental skates this week, and both told me they enjoyed the class when we were done. Glad I stayed with it :D.

Chico
02-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't wear protective gear...but I can't skate without my gloves. Seriously, I feel naked and it drives me nuts. =-) Some folks need their butt pads, I need my gloves.

Chico

skatingpanda
03-01-2006, 08:15 AM
I don't wear protective gear...but I can't skate without my gloves. Seriously, I feel naked and it drives me nuts. =-) Some folks need their butt pads, I need my gloves.

Chico

You have just described how I feel! In winter I can't even walk around in the city without having my hands either:
1. bent backwards into my coat's sleeve, or
2. in my pockets, or
3. wearing gloves.

When skating in tests/competitions, I eventually solved the problem by cutting some fabric out of old skating tights and sewing myself skin-coloured gloves out of it!

For me, gloves can be the decisive detail that determines if I am going to land all of my jumps (with gloves), or have a splatfest (without gloves).

skatingpanda

Chico
03-01-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm glad we can be "weird" together, alot less lonely. =-) I hear you, I actually have panic attacks when bare handed at the rink. Not really...but my skills definitely have issues. My old coach used to make me take them off some days and I would almost cry. Pretty weird huh? =-) I can't skate "naked"!

Chico

Skate@Delaware
03-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm glad we can be "weird" together, alot less lonely. =-) I hear you, I actually have panic attacks when bare handed at the rink. Not really...but my skills definitely have issues. My old coach used to make me take them off some days and I would almost cry. Pretty weird huh? =-) I can't skate "naked"!

Chico
I'm not allowed to wear gloves when I run through my program, or working on certain moves...I'm supposed to have "Barbie" hands so my fingers don't spread way apart. ;)

I like to wear gloves because my rink is cold, and if I fall my hands don't like to touch the ice (people spit on it you know). ewww!

Marianne
04-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Well, we can disagree respectfully. You're absolutely right that "airplane arms" are useless, but I'll keep my demos at chest height, thank you. I dont' want them lower on my students.

I am an adult beginner. I am learning ice dancing as well as free style. In ice dance, they are adament that you keep your arm shoulder height, not on the table high. My free style coach will ask me to keep my arms lower. Which is better? I've read that ice dancing provides a better basis for body positioning. True?

cassarilda
04-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I am an adult beginner. I am learning ice dancing as well as free style. In ice dance, they are adament that you keep your arm shoulder height, not on the table high. My free style coach will ask me to keep my arms lower. Which is better? I've read that ice dancing provides a better basis for body positioning. True?

Marianne, I would assume dance coaches ask for your arms higher up because that is actually where your arms are more often going to be in some dance holds.

As my hubby (aka occasional coach) says... just do what each coach says to do, and then work out what is best for you later :)

If in doubt, ask your respective coaches the reasons behind their instructions.

Mrs Redboots
04-29-2006, 03:46 AM
What you must do, of course, is keep your arms in the same relative position. What so often happens - and I'm guilty of this, too - is that you start out with your arms tidily in position, either table-height or straight out, or somewhere in between. Then the music starts, so you bend your knees to push off - and leave your arms where they were. The net effect is of flapping your wings for take-off! I've done this in my time, and Husband still does, occasionally.

AndreaUK
05-08-2006, 10:49 AM

Oh yeah....and I agree, it's weird how beginners/adults are asked to have their arms up like that. That's a little be overboard. The arms should be down that's for sure.

I think this is a very sensible post.
Im an adult beginner and have been skating for 7 weeks. Four of those weeks were spent off the ice due to injury. So maybe we should knock that down to 3 weeks. I have only had one lesson.

I have suffered a grade 3 concussion, a seriously bruised knee for which I couldnt kneel or walk on and a suspected broken bone in my wrist/hand. Three falls on three different session.
If I had worn a helmet, knee pads and wrist protectors maybe I wouldnt be in pain today.
I have skated the last four sessions without causing myself injury becuase I have now been shown some technique and have learned how to balance better.

Also during the last three sessions I have been wearing knee and elbow pads which are comfortable and I feel a hell of a lot safer with them at this stage. They dont get in the way and they dont cause me any problems. If anythign they give me a little more confidence in myself and allow me to relax and bend my knees a little better without the fears of having a serious fall and breaking something.

My arms tend to be at the 9' o clock and 3 o' clock position mostly but they ache like mad. Maybe they are too high? I dont know

Andrea xx

blue111moon
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Fact 1: Skaters fall. That's why the first thing I teach all beginners (child or adult) is how to fall down and get up - OFF-ICE first and then on the ice. It doesn't stop anyone from falling but it does minimize the damage and the fear.

Fact 2: Falling hurts. Pads and helmets can help minimize injury but they don't prevent injury completely. You can get just as hurt wearing gear as you can without it. Sometimes even more hurt because of the overconfidence that pads can generate makes you do things a tad less cautiously than is safe for you.

Fact 3: Skating isn't easy. Sooner or later everyone falls and everyone gets hurt. The question isn't "if", it's "when" and "how" you deal with the aftereffects.

I'm sorry if this is blunt and harsh, but honestly, I get exasperated with people (adults and kids and parents) who seem surprised when falls happen and injuries result. There is no way to make any sport absolutely injury-free. Generally falls and injuries are not the coach's fault, not the rink's fault, and not even the skater's fault. They're just part of the learning process. If the prospect of falling and injuring oneself is that scary for the skater and/or the family, then maybe skating (or any sport) isn't the correct activity for that person.

And as explanation for the above mini-rant, I offer the example of the mother who went into absolute hysterics every time her four-year-old fell down. The day he managed a face-plant and cut his lip, SHE had to be taken to the emergency room because she hyperventillated and passed out at the sight of her baby bleeding. The kid was fine; his grandpa took him out for ice cream while Dad dealt with Mom at the hospital. The skating school director then suggested that if Mom found the sport so stressful, then she shouldn't watch. :)

AndreaUK
05-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh yeah I agree

Im padded up for now becuase I dont wanna hurt me knees anymore than they allready are but I know for a fact Im gonna fall and hurt myself again. Im not very fit and have a lot of work to do so hopefully at the moment I will gain a little protection from what little protection I have, if not then I know Im gonna have to deal with it.

If we skate with a fear of falling or fear of hurting ourselves, were not gonna progress very far. We will always skate within our limits and never push ourselves further. If that was to be the case, there would be no point in skating.

FOr me, I dont really want another concussion so soon but I expect I will suffer other banged heads.

Andrea xx

jenlyon60
05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Being too stiff can also lead to nasty falls.

jenlyon60
05-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Marianne, I would assume dance coaches ask for your arms higher up because that is actually where your arms are more often going to be in some dance holds.

As my hubby (aka occasional coach) says... just do what each coach says to do, and then work out what is best for you later :)

I am wondering if that is just what your ice dancing coach prefers. Certainly, none of the 4 ice dance coaches I've worked with over many years (all former National level competitors and 2 of them International competitors) wanted me to have my arms any higher than table top. In fact, 2 of them made me skate carrying orange construction cones (the ones used at my rink during public sessions to cone off the middle or the end) to work on sensing when I was raising my arms. And it worked. I learned to notice when I was gradually raising my arms into "butterfly wing" level.

jenlyon60
05-10-2006, 11:59 AM

I am wondering if that is just what your ice dancing coach prefers. Certainly, none of the 4 ice dance coaches I've worked with over many years (all former National level competitors and 2 of them International competitors) wanted me to have my arms any higher than table top. In fact, 2 of them made me skate carrying orange construction cones (the ones used at my rink during public sessions to cone off the middle or the end) to work on sensing when I was raising my arms. And it worked. I learned to notice when I was gradually raising my arms into "butterfly wing" level.