View Full Version : What are the best boots??

sarahyani
07-12-2005, 06:45 AM
----------

Clarice
07-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi, everyone. I need a new pair of cross-training shoes. I'm looking at Nike, Adidas, or Nu Balance. I don't know which is better or which other brands are out there... I would really like everyone's opinions on which they think are the best shoes, and why!

Honestly, I'm really not trying to make fun of you. But if I asked the above question, wouldn't you just tell me to go try on different pairs of shoes and find out for myself what fits my feet best? I know it's not so easy with skate boots, because we can't try skating in them before we buy them, and because they cost SO much nobody wants to make a very expensive mistake. I just think that you'll get a lot of conflicting opinions as people try to answer your question, and you may end up even more confused than before. All of the major boot companies put out a decent product, but some will work better than others for a particular skater because of their particular foot type, skating style, etc. In the end, you're just going to have to try on different pairs of boots, pick one, and skate in it. If it fits well, you're going to do fine, and no matter how well recommended that brand might be, it's still not going to be some kind of magic pixie dust that automatically turns you into a fantastic skater.

As far as specifics, my daughter and I have skated in SPTeri's for years. They fit us well, and did the job just fine. They are very heavy and stiff boots, however, and we found the break-in period difficult and painful. After enduring two weeks of misery, though, we were good to go. Both of us just switched to Jacksons because they are lighter and much more comfortable. I used to be the Bunga pad queen, but no longer need most of the padding I used in my SPTeri's. Will they break down faster? We don't know. Guess we'll find out. We hated Riedell's - they don't fit our feet right. We've not tried the brands you named, though quite a few skaters at our rink use the Grafs. Does our experience make any difference to you? Probably not.

Good luck in your search!

sarahyani
07-12-2005, 08:45 AM
----------

Debbie S
07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Actually, that looks like a list of every skater that has tried Grafs, not the skaters that currently use them. From what I have read, a lot of elite skaters tried Grafs about 5 years ago or so, but many are no longer in them, for a variety of reasons. There was a thread here last week or so that talked about Grafs - I think it was one of the threads Casey S started about his problems with Graf boots - that you might want to check out. Apparently, they break down quickly. Why don't you ask other skaters at your rink that are at your skating level and see what boots they use - also ask if they have narrow or wide feet, or if there is a big difference (like a width or more) in their heel vs. the ball area. Make sure the fitter measures your feet in both places so you'll know how your feet are shaped - certain boots will fit better than others depending on this.

If you like your Risports and they have fit well, then you might want to get the next level up in that brand. As they say, if it ain't broke....

2loop2loop
07-12-2005, 11:19 AM
I think the major advantage with Grafs is that you can just about put on a new pair and skate in them right away. The downside is that they are not supposed to last as long. If you are an elite skater it is probably important not to lose training time breaking in new boots, but not all of us have the kind of financial backing that lets us buy new boots every few months.

John

icedancer2
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
I have also heard that some boot companies will send new boots to elite skaters to try for free -- this is a good way to get them to endorse the boots if they happen to like them. Also a good way for the company to claim that these skaters use their boots.

From what I've heard, also, these skaters usually end up going back to whatever boot they liked before.

manleywoman
07-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Similarly to the sticky sharpening thread...

This question gets asked with such frequency (at least once a month lately it seems...) is there any way we can sticky some general information about the boot manufacturers and their differences?

(Not trying to pick on you sarahyani, I promise! It's just that this is asked all the time!)

TashaKat
07-12-2005, 02:00 PM
To answer your question of what are the best boots I would have to answer that whatever suits you!

I would say that, for me, Harlicks are the best boots with Wifa in second but trailing somewhat!

Out of your list I would choose Wifas but depending on what you're going to use them for I would say that, from my experience, the Super Goldstar are a better fitting boot, the Diamonds killed my ankle bones.

I, personally, hate loathe and detest Risports for a variety of reasons, one of them being that they killed my feet. They may suit you though.

DON'T go on what elite skaters wear. Stephen Cousins used to wear Wifa Diamonds, what they DIDN'T tell you was that they weren't the off the shelf versions but were customised to his specification.

Try as many brands on as you can, walk around the store in them, any rubs or ouchies at that stage will only be magnified when you actually come to wear them. You can get boots punched out but I don't like doing that. Since discovering Harlicks I've never had to have my boots punched out, wear bubble wrap or gel pads!

stardust skies
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh wow. Of that list, I would say maybe two people still use Grafs. Graf sent free boots to EVERY National/World-bound skater a couple of years back, so everyone tried them. Most everyone has switched out by now because they didn't like them (or for some other reason, point is most skaters don't wear Grafs).

I think the question by the original poster is impossible to respond. There's no right answer. The BEST boots are the boots that fit you best and give your particular body and skating the right amount of support. The only way you can know that is try different brands on, and get advice from your coaches and pro shop. The only notable thing I will say is that you listed two very low level boots, and then a high level boot. The Risport and WIFA's are pretty beginner shoes, and the Graf Edmonton Specials are their most advanced. That's like saying "I'm looking to buy a dress from Sears, Target, and Chanel....which one should I get?" The Grafs don't fit in with the rest of those boot listings.

Personally I always recommend the Riedell star series for beginners. Silver and Gold stars are pretty much beginner staples, and take you through your single jumps. I don't like the less known brands, and the more known brands (Harlick, Klingbeil, SP Teris) are better with higher level boots than beginner boots. The main thing though, is go try boots on. And go with a coach, not just a parent.

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Actually, both Risport and Wifa make boots at all levels - Wifa also claim that some elite skaters use them, but I can't remember who they said...... The joy of them is that they come in lots of different colours & fabrics without having to be custom-made; the downside is that they are alleged to be one of the hardest boots to break in!

Stardust skies - I think you'll find Risport, Wifa and Belati are mostly sold on this side of the Atlantic, and Riedell etc on your side! Obviously skaters here do use SP Teri and Harlick & so on, but they have to be imported and can be very expensive. At least a couple of skaters I know who have custom skates have them from Schindler in Switzerland.....

I started out in basic Belatis, which were too big for me; they collapsed after about 2 years, and since then I've been in mid-range Gams, which suit me down to the ground. But some skaters can't be doing with them at all - it just so depends on the shape of your feet, your weight, all sorts of factors, and there's really no substitute for an independent expert fitter!

sarahyani
07-12-2005, 08:49 PM
----------

sarahyani
07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
----------

Debbie S
07-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Silver and Gold stars are pretty much beginner staples, and take you through your single jumps.

Actually, Silver and Gold Stars are pretty advanced boots. They're really for skaters doing doubles, unless the skater is on the heavy side and/or breaks down boots quickly. A lot of times adults go into boots that might be too advanced for a child at their same level b/c of the stiffness and durability that higher-level boots have, so it's possible an adult could have those boots for single jumps. Obviously an adult who is 6 feet tall needs more support than a child who is 4 feet tall even if they are doing the same jumps.

Generally, Bronze Stars are the recommended boot for single jumps in the Riedell brand.

As for what's high-level in Risport and Wifa, I have no idea b/c I am not familiar with those brands. But why don't you go to their websites and read their info? That should give you an idea of the boot levels in each brand, even if your pro shop doesn't carry them. I'm sure you could import them as you can with Grafs or Klingbeils.

The challenge with Klingbeils is to make sure you have a good fitter measure you according to what Klingbeil needs, since the boots will be customs. And make sure your pro shop can handle maintenance, like punch-outs and such.

Casey
07-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Oh wow. Of that list, I would say maybe two people still use Grafs. Graf sent free boots to EVERY National/World-bound skater a couple of years back, so everyone tried them. Most everyone has switched out by now because they didn't like them (or for some other reason, point is most skaters don't wear Grafs).
Why does this remind me of the Paramount company who makes claims of top-level skaters using their blades just because they sent them a free one? Just because they sent off a free pair doesn't mean they're actually being used!

And for the record, I strongly recommend against Graf - they're comfortable enough, but not especially so, and have a high occurance of falling apart (my 6 month old boots here: http://kc.sk8rland.com/pictures/?s=Ice+Skating%2FGraf+Boot+Problem ). My next boots will almost certainly be custom Klingbeils.

I was told by several people when I got my Grafs that there was "no break in period". Well that's balogne. They did hurt for the first week or so - not too bad, but they weren't terribly pleasant either. One day I tried my old crappy skates back on, and they were more comfortable in comparison. The padding in the Grafs also seems to compress over time so the boots stop fitting as well the more you skate on them - I was much happier with the lack of padding in my previous skates - it hurt more to break them in, but it was worth it.

You might have better luck, but I'll never buy Graf again. Too much money for too little boot.

Casey
07-12-2005, 10:48 PM
i've heard and there are many skaters like...
Oksana Baiul
All use them...
Well it's already been said that most of these skaters do not actually wear Graf (I've downloaded videos of several of them and can tell you quite certainly that none of the ones I've seen are wearing Graf in competition), but Oksana definitely wears Klingbeil - here she is with her new Klingbeil boots, with Mr. Klingbeil himself :) :
http://kc.sk8rland.com/pictures/index.php?a=preview&i=Ice%20Skating/Celebrities/oksana_baiul-klingbeil.jpeg

phoenix
07-12-2005, 11:58 PM
I was told by several people when I got my Grafs that there was "no break in period". Well that's balogne. They did hurt for the first week or so - not too bad, but they weren't terribly pleasant either.

Just FYI.....
One week of moderate uncomfortableness as a break-in for boots is NOTHING compared to many brands. Klingbeils also have a reputation of being easy to break in (I had very good luck w/ my 2 pairs), but other brands make take weeks and weeks to start to soften & feel like more than concrete blocks on your feet. If your feet aren't bleeding, you're having a VERY good break-in period with your new boots!!! The one pair of Reidells I ever owned, the first time I wore them I lasted 15 minutes before the pain became too much. And I still have the scars from those boots.

The padding in the Grafs also seems to compress over time so the boots stop fitting as well the more you skate on them

ALso, fyi, all boots do that. The older they get, the more often you'll have to relace to tighten them up. Don't expect anything different from your Klingbeils.

jazzpants
07-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Personally I always recommend the Riedell star series for beginners. Silver and Gold stars are pretty much beginner staples, and take you through your single jumps.With all due respect I will have to disagree with you on a couple of points based on my own experiences with Riedells and now Harlicks.

First thing: Silver Stars and Gold Stars are EXTREMELY stiff when you first break in. I tried the Silver Star on when I was shopping for my second pair of skates and it was like wearing a block of CEMENT!!! 8O 8O 8O I could not bend my ankle to save my life!!! MAN! I'm glad I went with a Bronze Star (which was still extremely stiff for me, but only for a month...)

Here is Riedell's boot chart (http://www.riedellskates.com/ice/index.html). I consider high level skaters as anyone USFSA Juv level FS or higher. The chart definitely tells me that Gold and Silver Stars are for higher level skaters!!!
I don't like the less known brands, and the more known brands (Harlick, Klingbeil, SP Teris) are better with higher level boots than beginner boots.
I went with custom Harlicks b/c I had foot and lower back problems where orthotics are required. Since both SP Teri and the Harlick shop were both in my neck of the woods, it was a matter of picking one of them and getting the boot that I want. Now, initially I thought "Geez, I am not worthy of custom skates. They're expensive and are usually for high levels." Nope! My secondary coach was the person who originally told me that I need custom boots to prevent future injuries. It was a pragmatic decision that I'm glad I took! (i.e. would I rather spend money on properly fitted skating boots or on my visits to the ER to get a handle of injuries caused by boots that don't fit me well... and lose skating time to recover from the injuries and more money for the coaches to get me back to where I was before the injury happened.) The purple leather was the only "bling" expense. (HEY! I DO know when to have fun... ;))

And if you read my lesson thread entry... you'll see I'm about Pre-Bronze/Bronze level... far from being a high level skater. I will concede though that Riedells are really good for those below ISI FS 2. They served me pretty well. (I had the old Gold Medallion and then to Bronze Star...)

The main thing though, is go try boots on. And go with a coach, not just a parent.I will agree with that!!! You REALLY need to try on the boot to see which is best! And I didn't go with a coach on all my visits, but I had specific guidance on what I need to be aware of... It's like the athletic shoes scenario... some like New Balance, others (like me) don't! I'm a Nike gal, but some people think that Nikes don't give them enough arch support. It really depends!!!

sarahyani: What skills are you working on now? All those boots that you mentioned about are for very high level skaters and I want to make sure that you can handle that type of stiffness in the boots before you go shell out money to buy them. You do NOT want skating injuries from boots that are too stiff, trust me on this!!! :(

jp1andOnly
07-13-2005, 12:40 AM
I LOVE my Grafs and would recommend them to anyone. This is my third pair. My first pair lasted less than a year, but not because of the boot but because my feet changed size (they shrunk)

My 3rd pair are now going on 2 years. I skate about 4 times a week BTW

Why does this remind me of the Paramount company who makes claims of top-level skaters using their blades just because they sent them a free one? Just because they sent off a free pair doesn't mean they're actually being used!

And for the record, I strongly recommend against Graf - they're comfortable enough, but not especially so, and have a high occurance of falling apart (my 6 month old boots here: http://kc.sk8rland.com/pictures/?s=Ice+Skating%2FGraf+Boot+Problem ). My next boots will almost certainly be custom Klingbeils.

I was told by several people when I got my Grafs that there was "no break in period". Well that's balogne. They did hurt for the first week or so - not too bad, but they weren't terribly pleasant either. One day I tried my old crappy skates back on, and they were more comfortable in comparison. The padding in the Grafs also seems to compress over time so the boots stop fitting as well the more you skate on them - I was much happier with the lack of padding in my previous skates - it hurt more to break them in, but it was worth it.

You might have better luck, but I'll never buy Graf again. Too much money for too little boot.

Casey
07-13-2005, 12:55 AM
I LOVE my Grafs and would recommend them to anyone. This is my third pair. My first pair lasted less than a year, but not because of the boot but because my feet changed size
May I ask your height/weight and also what you're doing on them? I'm 5'11" and 150lbs, and I do a bunch of jumps on them, but only singles through the flip. I bet Graf works better for lighter folks or those doing dance - my fitter is an extremely good ice dancer who also loves them, so much that he says they're the reason he's still skating.

They just don't work for me, and quite a number of people have had problems with the heels coming off, including another guy at my rink, and my fitter!

sarahyani is of similar height and weight to me, and is currently working on single jumps working back up to doubles which she used to do when she skated before. Maybe I just got one of many defective models shipped out by Graf, but I worry they won't be enough boot to last her very long, despite their claim to be fit for elite skaters.

jazzpants
07-13-2005, 01:19 AM
They just don't work for me, and quite a number of people have had problems with the heels coming off, including another guy at my rink, and my fitter!I know of a high level (Junior) gal who also has the same problem. After about six months, her heels were also coming apart from the rest of the boot too! Of course, at the time I was thinking b/c the rest of her boots were so beat up that "Oh, she must really put herself through the paces so much that her boots are falling apart..."

TashaKat
07-13-2005, 01:57 AM
The Risport and WIFA's are pretty beginner shoes
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a065.gif

Wifa also claim that some elite skaters use them, but I can't remember who they said

Risports are generally thought of as pretty low level, even their higher level skates. Amongst other things I found that even their high end boot collapsed in a heap VERY quickly. It's a shame as I started out in beginner Risports and they were very good (they are the only Risports that I ever got on with and that fitted), I've still got them on my roller skate dance plates.

Wifas aren't low level though. A lot of ice dancers use Wifa, most of Jimmy Youngs' skaters wore Wifas. Charlotte and Gary wore Wifa when they won the British, a lot of the British Champions and Solo Dance Champions have worn Wifa. Our competitive kids (my coaches skaters ... both coaches) all wore Wifa. Now who were those other skaters who wore them, you know, those good Ice Dancers .... you know, the ones who won the Olympic Gold ;) Our very own T&D wore them too!

stardust skies
07-13-2005, 04:38 AM
Stardust skies - I think you'll find Risport, Wifa and Belati are mostly sold on this side of the Atlantic, and Riedell etc on your side! Obviously skaters here do use SP Teri and Harlick & so on, but they have to be imported and can be very expensive. At least a couple of skaters I know who have custom skates have them from Schindler in Switzerland.....

I think that is the mistake I made- to assume the person was from the U.S. Here, the ONLY Risports and Wifas I have ever seen are low-level boots. I assumed (wrongly) that it was all they made. But clearly I have now realized they have whole ranges of boots elsewhere, and that the U.S. shops I visited just happened to make their beginner boots and not anything else. I apologize for the misconception!!

Jazzpants- I wonder if maybe the Riedell boots have changed a lot in the way they are being made? I wore the Silver Stars about 10 years ago or so. They lasted me a couple of years, and were very painful to break in, but eventually they were fine. I was about 10 years old then, and I wasn't what you would call heavy. I don't know- it's what I was put in, and I had great experiences with them, and everyone of my friends had them too, and no one ever had an apparent problem with them. I know Riedell changed a LOT of stuff about their company- perhaps they build their boots much stiffer now. Or perhaps I just had ankles of steel?
Also, I didn't mean Harlicks et al were bad choices for lower level skaters, just that their higher level boots (including customs) are really what they excel at. I agree that custom boots are a good thing to get at ANY age if you can afford it, because a good fit is so so so important. But even if you're not doing high level jumps on them, I guess I still consider custom boots of any kind as high level boots. And I think that's what the Harlicks of this world excelt at, while certain other brands really concentrate on their shelf models.

I think the main message to retain is to go try boots on at your shop. If all the brands they have are the three you mentioned, try all three, and pick the one you think is best. If you can afford to send away for a pair, then either get customs, or get fitted properly by a fitter, and make sure you can send the boot back if the size is wrong.

I echo the person who said that we need to know a little more about exactly what level you are at to help any further, though.

sarahyani
07-13-2005, 06:46 AM
----------

Casey
07-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Well I've certainly created a controversial post here havent I?
No worries, I did the same thing when I first joined this board. I actually find it very interesting to read the different opinions and perspectives, it's by doing that for the last few months both here and other places that I ended up deciding on my next boot. :)

I have established that Klingbeils are probably the best bet out of all of them.
Of the US brands, Harlick and SP Teri are also very good, as well as the higher-end Riedells. Of them, I've heard of more pain issues with Riedell and SP Teri than Harlick or Klingbeil, but all are fine boots and all have happy owners. I found this thread especially interesting because it brought light to some of the brands we don't hear of over hear in the US very often.

Good luck with your new Risports - I hope they treat you well and last a looooong time! :)

jp1andOnly
07-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Well I'm 5'2" and am overweight. I am working on double jumps

My brother, a senior men's skater was working on triples and quads with his. His boots usually only lasted a season.

May I ask your height/weight and also what you're doing on them? I'm 5'11" and 150lbs, and I do a bunch of jumps on them, but only singles through the flip. I bet Graf works better for lighter folks or those doing dance - my fitter is an extremely good ice dancer who also loves them, so much that he says they're the reason he's still skating.

They just don't work for me, and quite a number of people have had problems with the heels coming off, including another guy at my rink, and my fitter!

sarahyani is of similar height and weight to me, and is currently working on single jumps working back up to doubles which she used to do when she skated before. Maybe I just got one of many defective models shipped out by Graf, but I worry they won't be enough boot to last her very long, despite their claim to be fit for elite skaters.

jenlyon60
07-13-2005, 09:09 AM
The other important thing is that there's no one right boot for everybody. Each boot manufacturer has a different basic last.

Depending on the shape of a skater's foot (as well as how that person skates, their skating level, their anatomy, etc) the boot that works for 1 skater may not be the ideal boot for another skater, even if each are at the same or equivalent test level.

I wore Riedells when I first started skating 20+ years ago, and was miserable for 2+ years. Finally a friend of mine suggested I try Klingbeils and I did, and my feet were happy, happy, happy. I'm on my 4th pair of Klingbeils now.

A couple years ago, before I messed up my right knee again, I though about playing around with some low-level freestyle again for fun. So I bought a pair of Jackson 2700s (I think that was the model). Wore them about 3 times and could never get past the arch pain that set in after about 5 minutes. They're still sitting in a closet, brand new, with a pair of 8 3/4" Coronation Ace blades on them. For me, the Jackson last is NOT a good fit.

coskater64
07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
I agree w/ the second reply, just figure out what works for you. Don't ask us, ask a fitter who has experience. Every foot is different everyone skates differently, what works for me will probably not work for you.

Debbie S
07-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I'll chime in with jenlyon and coskater - just b/c one boot works for a lot of other people doesn't mean it will necessarily work for you. If you can (and I realize not everyone can), go to a skate shop with a good fitter that carries a variety of brands. The fitter should be able to tell you what brands will work for your foot shape and which won't, and they should be able to sell you a brand that will work (or at least have the honesty to send you somewhere else where you can get what you need).

Be wary of a pro shop that only stocks 1 or 2 skate brands, b/c if so, you may not get the best advice. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with pro shops located in rinks, but that doesn't mean that all rink pro shops are bad - just investigate and ask around (like other skaters and parents, and coaches) before you go somewhere.

manleywoman
07-13-2005, 10:43 AM
I use custom Harlicks and never had a problem. I swear by them.

miraclegro
07-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't think there is one definitely right answer to recommend. Skating boots is a very personal thing. I think you should A) ask a lot of questions B) find someone who isn't just trying to make a buck and sell what THEY stock only -- because that is what they will recommend and C) consider your own foot issues. Also consider how often you skate, how much break in time you'll be able to give to it, and go from there.

Also find out the policy of the name brand, say if in 2 months or 3 months you decide you hate what you got, and the refund policy.

Wish you the best.....miraclegro

ps. i have had just about everything that could go wrong and learned from it, if you need anything else for help!

Mrs Redboots
07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
If your feet aren't bleeding, you're having a VERY good break-in period with your new boots!!! If they are properly fitted, they shouldn't rub that badly! Okay, yes, most new boots have one spot where they rub, but you should be able to get that seen to by your fitter. My Gams took a week before they felt like "my boots", and I really ought to get the toe-box reamed out, but they're fine if I pad my bunion.

The first pair I had, before the mouldable linings came in, the fitter punched out the ankles for me before I even took them home, and I really never had a moment's bother with them.

I know one skater who has new boots and was doing axels his first day in them, and is now working on triples - even if he does have to stop and relace fairly frequently! I don't know what brand he has, but they seem to be appropriate for his particular feet and ability level.

Skate@Delaware
07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Be wary of a pro shop that only stocks 1 or 2 skate brands, b/c if so, you may not get the best advice. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with pro shops located in rinks, but that doesn't mean that all rink pro shops are bad - just investigate and ask around (like other skaters and parents, and coaches) before you go somewhere.
I'll second that! My rink has a "pro-shop" and they only carry Jacksons and Reidell.... They sized me wrong (twice) and mis-mounted my blade....
so, when it's time to get new skates (probably next year, when I've got my $$$ out of these) I will go elsewhere.

Maybe I will go with another brand, maybe I will get Jacksons again (I'm one that likes them-they fit well despite the fact they are slightly 1/2 size too big for me....)

TaBalie
07-13-2005, 09:40 PM
What level are you?

I just got Graf Edmonton Specials and they *definitely* will lasts more than a few months! LOL I can see them lasting several years. I am a former competitive skater that is now a grown-up (now can do all singles, spins, etc though they don't look pretty). I could have gone with a less stiff boot but the shop had my size so I could have them *right then*. As an adult I have had SP-Teri Super Teri's before (torture chambers for my wide flat feet), and Riedells (had them for maybe a week before I sold them)... When I was competing I wore custom Harlicks and High Testers or whatever they were called at the time.

Don't think "Oh, these skaters wear Graf they must be the best!" because like everyone said, most of those skaters are NOT wearing them... Maybe they wore them once, maybe for a season, maybe not at all. Like with all things, companies send out free product to celebs as part of their marketing ("Gwyneth Paltrow wears XYZ lipgloss." for example)

I agree with ask around your rink, ask your coach... Don't by a boot too stiff or "ahead" of your level, since it will slow your progress. I am a bad example, I didn't need the Grafs I bought but it was really a convenience thing for me (I needed new boots right THEN LOL), and fortunately it has turned out ok.

sarahyani
07-13-2005, 10:16 PM
----------

sarahyani
07-13-2005, 10:20 PM
----------

Debbie S
07-13-2005, 10:51 PM
At the end of the day - if you get a boot or blade ahead of your level, its your job to work to get to the level of that boot.
But what people are saying (people that you asked for advice, I might add) is that if you get a boot that is too far above you, it will slow your progress and won't get you to the level of the boot. Weight and stiffness of the boots is very important and determines how well you can jump, spin, do field moves, etc. What can happen if boots are too stiff is that the tongue is the only thing that bends, and this can lead to a lot of problems, such as shin splints, blisters, and other nasty foot/ankle conditions. Being in pain certainly impacts your ability to advance in your skating ability. What a boot in that condition can also do is push you forward on your toepicks and make it harder for you to land jumps and perform other skills. I know this b/c I have a pair of too-stiff boots (I'll spare everyone the explanation of why I got them) and it has caused me many of the problems I mentioned.

The amount of time someone skates per week is also important in breaking skates in. Elite skaters break in their boots quickly b/c they skate 15-20 hours a week. The average adult skater doesn't skate that much and it can take a lot longer to break in boots, especially if they are too stiff, and the longer it takes, the more their progress is stalled.

I started with a boot way above my level and within a year i was doining doubles and i was only having one lesson a week. So i think thats nonsense it slows you down. if you have the determination to do it, you'll do it. i think its just an excuse for skaters who have been skating for ages and havent made any progress.
Well, good for you. But this may not be everyone's experience and I would venture to say it's probably not the experience of the majority of the people here. I must say, your last comment borders on offensive. You came here and asked for advice, and people gave it to you. Try to be gracious and not insulting.

Progress in skating is dependent on a variety of factors, not just "determination". Having equipment that is appropriate for a skater's ability level at that particular time is one of many attributes that are needed to make progress.

Edited to add that if you buy a boot designed for a level you want to be in a year or 2, or 3, it is likely that the boot could break down in some way before you ever get to that desired level, necessitating a new purchase, and you'll have spent the extra money on the first pair of boots for no reason.

jazzpants
07-13-2005, 11:07 PM
I also have to disagree about buying boots ahead of your level. I think that you should buy a boot that will last you to get to the level you want to be at. If your doing singles and you want to be doing doubles and are going to work hard to get there in a few months, then why not get a boot that is going to support you to do doubles. Why should we restrict ourselves. At the end of the day - if you get a boot or blade ahead of your level, its your job to work to get to the level of that boot.I think you should read this article: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Magazine.asp?id=55&issue=29808

This article was written by a skate technician... but the point of this article was this:
think I hear an echo in here. I've been advocating for years that wearing softer boots will result in more height, using less effort, with much less wear and tear on the body.If your body can handle a stiffer boot, good for you. Me? I'm closing in on 40 and physically can't take it things as I once did. God knows I've spent enough money on boots that are too stiff, making it harder for me bend the ankle and causing a myriad of injuries along the way. Never mind I had a much tougher time learning the skills I need to learn "to get up to the level of my boots" when I'm too busy healing from the injuries caused by those same boots. Long term, I'd rather spend it on equipment that will get my body to last thru working on the building my skills, rather than having to put my body thru the physical torture to try to "match the boot to my skills" and spending the money on doctor's visits/bills/crutches/medicine/etc. just b/c the equipment is quite expensive! I've done the latter case -- it's just not worth it!

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2005, 02:27 AM
I don't know what coach training is like in Australia, but here, I know, it does incorporate knowing about boots and blades and what to recommend for a particular skater. So, since you don't have an independent fitter near where you live, ask your coach instead! If they don't know, they'll say so.... but they probably *will* know.

stardust skies
07-14-2005, 02:35 AM
I also have to disagree about buying boots ahead of your level. I think that you should buy a boot that will last you to get to the level you want to be at. If your doing singles and you want to be doing doubles and are going to work hard to get there in a few months, then why not get a boot that is going to support you to do doubles. Why should we restrict ourselves. At the end of the day - if you get a boot or blade ahead of your level, its your job to work to get to the level of that boot.

I started with a boot way above my level and within a year i was doining doubles and i was only having one lesson a week. So i think thats nonsense it slows you down. if you have the determination to do it, you'll do it. i think its just an excuse for skaters who have been skating for ages and havent made any progress.

Doubles usually don't take "a few months" to get- they take a long time, and if a person is only working on singles, then they're not anywhere near learning or landing doubles yet. Also, if they don't have the muscles to break in boots stiffer than what they need, and they are not doing the jumps for which they'd need these boots, then it's dangerous for them to have them- many chronic injuries starting with tendonitis start that way.

Now, if someone is working on their axel and beginning drills for doubles, then yes, getting boots that will only last through their singles would be stupid. But it doesn't mean they have to get the boot that will last them through their double axel, either- cause that's over a year away. You have to find a logical middle ground so that you buy something supportive enough, but not SO supportive that you cannot break them in, cannot bend, cannot do your technique properly, and in the end hurt yourself in the process of "working up" to the boot. You should never have to catch up to your equipment. It's the other way around. A Senior skater could still do triple jumps on Coronation Aces (it would probably take a little getting used to and it wouldn't be awesome quality, but they could). So if you can't even do doubles unless you're wearing Gold Seals, then your blade's doing too much work and you're not doing enough. It's your job to make the MOST of the equipment you've got and to not be blade or boot dependant. If you wear boots geared towards Seniors now, what will you wear when you are one??

Plus, if you are always wanting to have a blade above your level, then by the time you GET to the level of the boots and blades you bought, you'll want something even more high level. So really, you'll never catch up to your equipment at all. And for the record, I (or anyone else) never said that it was impossible to work with equipment above your level. Getting doubles in a year is fine. All I'm saying is that you cannot prove to me that it wouldn't have come to you quicker if you'd had equipment appropriate for your level. That's all. And you don't know if you're not going to get tendonitis in your legs ten years from now from boots that are too stiff and that you feel oh-so-gratified for having finally worked up to breaking them in. I know that I once had a very very bad pair of boots when I was about 12 or so, and now 8 years later...I have constant, chronic tendonitis. And trust me- it ain't much fun. It's one of the reasons I'm so adamant about this type of discussion. It's just NOT worth the long term damage.

sarahyani
07-14-2005, 08:50 AM
----------

sarahyani
07-14-2005, 08:59 AM
----------

Melzorina
07-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I started out in beginner Risports and they were very good.

I'm using Risport beginner skates, RF4's. I've had them since I started skating, a year and a half ago. They've shown no sign of breaking down yet, and are very comfortable, great for single jumps and axels. Very popular at my rink as they are the cheapest boots. :) £75!

NCSkater02
07-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Maybe I will go with another brand, maybe I will get Jacksons again (I'm one that likes them-they fit well

I'm one of those odd people also. I've been in Jacksons almost since I started in LTS 3+ years ago. Started in Mystique, and went to Competitor when my heels started slipping. In retrospect, I probably should have gone to the Freestyle boot, but the pro shop only had the Mystique and Competitor. I guess that my next boots will be the same. They fit my foot well. They only ache after I've been off-ice for a while.....anywhere from a week to 14 weeks.

Casey
07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Sarah signing out for good! See ya round skaters. :bow:
I hope you just mean this thread, not this board in general. Stick around! I want to hear more from you - more people on the board is always good. Don't worry about disagreements, nobody can ever agree on everything, and everyone on this board seems nice and well-intended. No leaving - you're stuck here now! ;)

stardust skies
07-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Ok, sorry, just had to add. I was doing doubles within the first year of me ice-skating, not the first year of me trying to get my doubles. So are you saying that I may have had my doubles within 6 months of stepping onto the ice for the first time if i had lower level boots????

Hmmm... doesnt make sense to me!!!!

Anyway, like I said. Sarah signing out for good! See ya round skaters. :bow:

Well...pretty much no one gets doubles within their first year of skating. As such, you must be an absolute phenomenon, and if that is the case, then yes, I am saying you might have gotten them in six months. Ask Johnny Weir how long it took him after stepping on the ice to get a double axel. It was less than a year- and that's the first triple. It's doable. So you can't say it wouldn't have happened. It's a shame because if you keep being stubborn and unrealistic about the way to treat your equipment, you will likely get injured, and it sounds like you've got a bright skating future as of right now. I just think it wouldn't hurt you to try and listen to people who've been doing this long that you have and know a thing or two that you might not, even if they don't make sense to you right now. That's all.

Dr Lightbody
07-26-2005, 06:02 PM
So, since you don't have an independent fitter near where you live,
Sorry I have a newbie question - what does an independent fitter do? Does he actually have boots to try on and for sale or is it just measuring you for custom boots so he is kind of an agent for the custom boot manufacturer?

icedancer2
07-26-2005, 07:07 PM
In my experience, an independent fitter is a person who will measure your feet for new boots and help you determine what type of boot you need, what manufacturer might make said boots and whether or not you can wear a stock boot or need a custom boot.

Sometimes they will have stock boots for you to try on, other times, they will measure you, you will order the boot and then come in when they are ready to be picked up.

Some independent fitters will represent one boot company over another -- the person in my area who fits for Klingbeil used to work for SP Teri, but I believe she sells Klingbeil exclusively now.

Other people in my area will sell you the boot that is right for your foot and skating needs.

doubletoe
07-26-2005, 07:36 PM
i'm just going to get Risports RF3's for now. I think once I get to tripples I can upgrade, plus the RF3's are only 500$aus. thats pretty cheap for a top level boot? they are much comfier than my boots. My risports are still incredibly strong after 3 years.... but i have worn them out to the bone so its just that time.

I think you are wise to stick with the same brand you are used to. I have heard so many horror stories of people trying different brands of boots and finding that they are not made for their feet and just can't wear them. Ultimately, a boot you can't use is the most expensive type of boot you can get!

doubletoe
07-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Ok well sorry for being offensive to any of you. From my personal experience, it doesnt take me long to get things so it just seems silly for me to get a boot that is at my level now when i know it'll be too soft for me in a few months. I guess I just dont want to be buying a new boot in 6 months coz I can land all my doubles and want to move onto tripples. I havent opted for the best boot or top of the range equipment because I didnt think i needed it yet. however, once i reach tripples then i think i deserve to up my boot to something specky. anyway. you guys dont have to get all defensive over it, everyones different and everyone has different needs and progresses at different levels. Although you have made me think about things quite a fair bit so I now know exactly what I need personally. You're all right, because you've all got your own needs etc. so maybe we should end this post now before a fight breaks out over whos right and whos wrong. it just seems all a little hyped up over nothing to me. as long as your satisfied with yourself and your own choices then thats all that matters.
sarah signing out
ciaooo

Sarah, that is AWESOME that you are so talented! More power to you! My guess is that if everybody had been aware of your skating history and rapid progression, you would have heard less about skating in equipment above your level. Sounds like you would do well to have boots and blades that you'll want to do triples in. Looking forward to hearing about your first triple, so stay on the board! ;)