View Full Version : Sore Neck

rf3ray
06-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Have any of you guys had sore necks fro sleeping incorrectly that has been lasting for more than 5 days, any good remedies, or recommendations? :frus: :frus:

dbny
06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
As much ibuprofen as you can tolerate, but not more than 600mg three times a day. You have to stay on it for at least a week. Also, try a heating pad, long hot shower, etc.

rf3ray
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Would applying heat packs, and cold packs do anything?? You think?

Elsy2
06-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I recommend massage if you can afford it. Plus an orthopaedic type pillow that supports your neck in a position to let it relax overnight and heal.

I have alot of neck muscle problems.....sigh....so I feel your pain.

You could also try heat for 10 min., stretches, then ice. Good luck!

phoenix
06-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Chiropractor, possibly combined w/ a massage therapist.

I've had a "cricked" neck where I couldn't even turn it in one direction (!), & walked out of the chiro's office all better! They can also recommend exercises to strengthen the muscles to help avoid reinjury........& they'll probably tell you to sleep only on your back or side--mine despairs because of me insisting on sleeping on my tummy! which is very bad for your neck..... :giveup:

flippet
06-01-2005, 09:47 PM
See a chiropractor. I <3 my chiropractor. :lol: Seriously...have a friend give you a massage (or a professional massage is always great, too), using steady pressure over the spots that really hurt and feel like 'ropes' under the skin. (The pressure, as opposed to just rubbing, helps those muscles relax their death grip on your nerves.) Then, if that doesn't do the trick, see a chiro. It may take a couple of treatments for things to 're-set' themselves, but you'll feel muuuuch better. :)

NickiT
06-02-2005, 02:49 AM
I'd definitely recommend you go and see a chiropractor. They work wonders on such problems and you will really notice the difference.

Nicki

dbny
06-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Would applying heat packs, and cold packs do anything?? You think?

No cold 8O , only heat.

I have never been to a chiropracter or had a massage. I can't stand people pushing on me, so I've always used heat and ibuprofen (well, acetominaphen before ibuprofen was available). Anyway, why spend the time and money if you haven't tried the simplest things at home first?

miraclegro
06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I have had recurring neck problems, and a lot of times stress aggravates it.

All of the recommended above are extremely helpful, and i have every blue moon HAD to get a muscle relaxer for the real bad scenes.Also, once you get the kinks worked out, you need to start working with some weights and learn how to strengthen those neck and shoulder muscles. Prevention is best! Let us know what works best! Also a great shower massage comes in handy!

flippet
06-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I have never been to a chiropracter or had a massage. I can't stand people pushing on me,

My chiropractor uses a new method--she has a device called an 'activator'--it's like a spring-loaded plunger sort of thing. That gets placed against the spot she wants to adjust, and then 'ping'--it releases the pressure directly on that spot. It's not the least bit painful, and there's no one 'pushing' on you. Apparently one of the great things about this device is that it works so fast, that the muscles don't have time to 'tense up' in preparation. Honestly, her hands barely touch me at all.

Next time you think you could probably benefit from an adjustment, try to find a chiropractor that uses one. I think you'll be surprised!

(I have to :( at the no massage thing, though.....maybe you've just never had one done right! They're bliss when done properly. :) )

dbny
06-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I have had recurring neck problems, and a lot of times stress aggravates it.

All of the recommended above are extremely helpful, and i have every blue moon HAD to get a muscle relaxer for the real bad scenes.Also, once you get the kinks worked out, you need to start working with some weights and learn how to strengthen those neck and shoulder muscles. Prevention is best! Let us know what works best! Also a great shower massage comes in handy!

I used to get extremely painful muscle spasm in my lower neck, around C7. I even went to the ER with it the first time it happened, because I woke up from the pain at 4AM, was living alone, and was scared I wouldn't be able to move at all by morning. After several years of attacks, I had tingling and numbness in my fingers of one hand along with it, and went to a neurologist. Xrays showed nothing, and the suggested theory was that there were minor arthritic changes that provoked the muscle spasm, and that it especially severe because I had very strong neck and shoulder muscles from my years of roller dance. A few months on Valium got me through the worst of it. Valium was so wonderful, that I have never taken it since. When ibuprofen became available, I discovered that it knocked it out fairly quickly, and over the years the attacks have waned in frequency and severity. So much for the arthritic changes theory, but it does seem like a loss of strength in the neck and shoulder muscles may have worked in my favor.

Blosmbubbs
06-03-2005, 02:13 AM
A few weeks ago I had that terrible pain in my neck from sleeping with only one pillow, I usually use two a soft one and a hard one underneath. My chiropractor uses that spring thing too. He used it on the bottom of my foot cause there was a pressure point there from when I sprianed my ankle. It works good. ;)

icedancer2
06-03-2005, 01:21 PM
and the suggested theory was that there were minor arthritic changes that provoked the muscle spasm, and that it especially severe because I had very strong neck and shoulder muscles from my years of roller dance. A few months on Valium got me through the worst of it. Valium was so wonderful, that I have never taken it since. When ibuprofen became available, I discovered that it knocked it out fairly quickly, and over the years the attacks have waned in frequency and severity. So much for the arthritic changes theory, but it does seem like a loss of strength in the neck and shoulder muscles may have worked in my favor.

I think this is very interesting. The relationship of the shoulder girdle and neck I think cause a LOT of neck problems. When I started doing my figures for the silver test (BO and BI 3s and Back Serpentines) I started having a LOT of neck trouble, could barely turn my head, screaming pain, especially when I did those figures.

So I'm learning to turn from my mid-back and scapulas rather than from my neck when I do the figures and it is helping. Also doing a lot of "shoulder-opening" exercises with my yoga teacher, which is also helping.

[Hot baths and a massage also have helped, of course, and an occassional visit to the chiropractor can also really help].

dbny -- you were a roller-dancer!!! 8O -- Do you do any ice-dance now??

dbny
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
dbny -- you were a roller-dancer!!! 8O -- Do you do any ice-dance now??

I wish! That was my goal when I first started ice, but I didin't have access to a coach who knew dance. I taught myself the Fiesta Tango from the book, but don't skate it to test standard and have never tried it with a partner, nor had a lesson. I put my husband on the ice a few years ago to eventually have a partner, but he now has a full time job and doesn't get to skate much. Unfortunately, I started ice very late and know that I will never reach the gold level, as I did in roller dance.

*IceDancer1419*
06-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Roller dance! Cool!

Anyways.

I've had some trouble with my neck before... I ended up having to wear a foam brace to take the strain off of my muscles. I actually have a fair amount of trouble from sleeping badly... I too sleep on my tummy, and I pay for it in the morning :roll: