View Full Version : Spiral positions

jazzpants
05-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Does anyone have pictures of a decent (i.e. not too "Sasha"-eque) of an attitude spiral and a Chinese spiral? I'm doing those in my new program and want a mental picture of what it's supposed to look like so I can aim for that.

TIA!

ask8ingcat
05-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Jazzpants! I can take a pic of me doing an "attitude spiral.: that is a spiral with attitude. Would that work?
Cathy

jazzpants
05-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Jazzpants! I can take a pic of me doing an "attitude spiral.: that is a spiral with attitude. Would that work?
CathyWell, well, well! Look what the "cat" dragged in? HERSELF!!! :mrgreen: (How the heck are you??? How's Mistress Coach!!! PM me and fill me in on the gossip at my old rink!) :twisted:

Sure! That would work. And if you know how to do a Chinese spiral too, would you mind doing that too? :mrgreen:

Thanks very much!!! :mrgreen:

Chico
05-20-2005, 09:55 PM
I can do an attitude spiral. Nope, I'm not sending you a picture! I don't have one. =-) Just make sure to get a good arch in your back, keep your head up (think chest out), and be careful of that toe pick. Learn this skill in stages, all at once would be too hard. Oh, speed does help. Be careful though!

Chico

_back_layback_
05-21-2005, 11:46 PM
What's a Chinese spiral? :oops:

jazzpants
05-22-2005, 12:09 AM
What's a Chinese spiral? :oops:THIS (http://www.geocities.com/lynne_99_uk/) is a good Chinese spiral. (Apologies in advanced to TashaKat if this totally embarrasses you but yours look good.) :P :D

ask8ingcat
05-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi jazzpants!
I've been back from China for two weeks now with our beautiful daughter Sophie Isabella. We're adjusting very well and love her so much.
There aren't may people at Coffee Club anymore and I've been skating the freestyles on Wednesday and Friday. Thinking of switching clubs... SCSF is the best!

jazzpants
05-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Cathy: I just PM'ed you. ;)

TashaKat
05-22-2005, 12:10 PM
:oops:

I didn't even know that it was called that!

Here's the colour version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Back_Pick-Up__Spiral.jpg

I liked that spiral :)

jazzpants
05-22-2005, 01:50 PM
:oops:

I didn't even know that it was called that!

Here's the colour version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Back_Pick-Up__Spiral.jpg

I liked that spiral :)Don't be :oops: . I didn't even know there is such a thing as a "Chinese spiral" until my secondary coach showed it to me. (Well, sorta showed it. She's not quite limbered up... Tee hee hee...) :P

I'm not quite liking it just yet... but I'm warming up to it... :P And I don't get just how that's a Chinese spiral. I mean, what's so "Chinese" about it? :P :lol:

ask8ingcat
05-22-2005, 02:03 PM
OK, well I am Chinese so any spiral I do is a Chinese Spiral, right?

Casey
05-22-2005, 06:31 PM
I wish I had the flexibility for the chinese spiral. :(

Congrats TashaKat!

jazzpants
05-23-2005, 12:15 AM
OK, well I am Chinese so any spiral I do is a Chinese Spiral, right?http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/bloblaugh.gif Same here, Cathy! Same here... LOL!!! :lol:

I wish I had the flexibility for the chinese spiral. :(Actually, Casey, it's not as bad as you think!!! (And this is coming from someone who's definitely not Gumby (Dammit!!!) :P If you do a good straight spiral and then bend the free knee to the point where you can grab the foot and then pull up, you can do a pretty decent one. Learned this trick from a fellow skating buddy today! The best part is that I don't lose any speed over doing it. Mine looked pretty decent given what I saw in the reflection! The skating buddy was pretty impressed with what she did with me! :mrgreen:

I think I'm gonna like this spiral for sure!!! :mrgreen:

Thin-Ice
05-23-2005, 03:00 AM
I had always heard these called "Blade Spirals" since you grab the blade. Interesting how there are different names for things even in the same general geographic region!

I have one of these in my Interp. program... and I find the best way to start working on these is to put my foot behind me on the boards, while facing the ice and reach straight back (as much as possible) to grab my blade, then pull it up slowly. I also do the same thing at the END of the session.. amazing how much easier it is to do then. (It also gives me a good excuse to stop skating when it's crazy on the ice.) Mine isn't as good as the one pictured.. but I keep working on it.. both legs, forward and backward, since both of my coaches seem to like these (and they look more interesting than my only hip-height regular spirals).

Mrs Redboots
05-23-2005, 04:12 AM
I've always called them "catch-foot spirals". And I can't do them. Well, put it this way, I don't think I can do them and, in fairness, I've never actually dared to try....

sue123
05-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I can do them, and I tend to keep my balance better and go faster doing those than regular spirals for some reason. Only when I was first learning them, I kept managing to slice my hand. Then I realized I should probably wear gloves.

TashaKat
05-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Once I've grabbed the heel/back stanchion I think of trying to pull my arm outwards and upwards diagonally with my foot (as though I'm trying to reach to the top of one of the walls). This gives a nice 'stretched' line and is better on your back. If you think of just pulling up you get a more compact shape and you're compressing your back. Does that make sense?

Thin-Ice
05-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Once I've grabbed the heel/back stanchion I think of trying to pull my arm outwards and upwards diagonally with my foot (as though I'm trying to reach to the top of one of the walls). This gives a nice 'stretched' line and is better on your back. If you think of just pulling up you get a more compact shape and you're compressing your back. Does that make sense?

That's a REALLY good suggestion.. I'm going to remember that today when when I run my program! Thanks!

ice-princess
05-24-2005, 10:48 AM
whats an attitude spiral? :??

Skate@Delaware
05-24-2005, 11:23 AM

Do you grab the foot with the arm on the same side or is it the opposite arm? or does it matter?

TashaKat
05-24-2005, 01:02 PM
In the photo I grab same arm/same foot but can do it the other way too. I find the 'same' one easier to get a good stretch with :)

jazzpants
05-24-2005, 04:20 PM
whats an attitude spiral? :??
From: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/resources/gloss_a.htm

Attitude: A position in which the the upper body is held in an upright position with the free leg extended to the rear and elevated with the knee bent at a right angle.

So essentially a spiral with the free leg bend at a right angle. Should look something like this:
http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/terms/attitude.html

Of course, what I'm showing is not on ice. :)