View Full Version : practice tips: camel spin

skatemex
05-14-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble with the camel spin, the main problem right now is the entry, sometimes I can do it and sometimes not and also I have a lot of trouble keeping the leg in the ice streched , can anyone give me tips?? :bow:

samba
05-15-2005, 04:44 AM
Just an observation here but I have noticed that in general that when learning this element men enter into it far too agressively and place themselves into a position that they have not yet got the experience to control, whereas women on the other hand may go too slowly to get enough rotation.

I think the answer is somewhere between the two and to ensure that you have a good wind up and keep the rotation going as you enter trying not bend too much in the middle which is an error that I do and this causes me to go too low which means I have to use all my strength to correct it when spinning if I get that far, needles to say it gives me a bad back if I get it wrong too many times.

I hope this hekps but I'm no expert at this so maybe someone else can advise you in a better manner.

NickiT
05-15-2005, 06:20 AM
My camel spin is very hit and miss - for some reason I have it fairly consistently in isolation, but when I come to it in my programme it's often very mediocre. One thing my coach has drummed into me is not to rush the entry into it, and to hold a long forward outside edge as you push into it. Also remember to keep your left arm and shoulder back. That is something that I often forget and it makes the spin very lopsided. One other thing, keep your skating knee deeply bent and straighten it up once you are in the spin.

Nicki

ice-princess
05-15-2005, 10:59 AM
When I was having problems with my camel spin, my mom viedo taped me on the ice. Then when I watched back, I saw that I was leaning too far forward when I entered my spin so my balance just went completely haywire. :frus:

Now I try to keep my posture as I go into the spin, and it works a lot better. Its not completely there yet though... :oops: :frus:

I can't see your spin so I can't really tell you whats wrong with it, but maybe someone can video it for you and then you can take a look. You'd be suprised how different you look to other people when you're skating. :lol:

Good Luck! :)