View Full Version : Death Drop

sk8er1964
12-09-2004, 09:19 PM
I have started the death drop, and have been quite pleased with the results. However, I have lost my flying camel, and my axel entry has gone wonky. My coach and I have identified the problem with the axel (swinging the leg and arms around instead of through), but we didn't have time today for the flying camel.

When I do the flying camel, no matter how much I tell myself to jump over the barrel, my left leg wants to swing up like the death drop and I end up on my backside half of the time, and with a badly positioned snail paced back camel the rest.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you combat it?

NoVa Sk8r
12-09-2004, 09:44 PM
My coach and I were discussing this last Friday. I was doing some wonky flying camels, and she said that it looked like I was trying to do a death drop. My problem was in my upper body. In the flying camel, I aim to keep my upper body parallel with the ice instead of keeping my head and chest up. When I do this (I sometimes imagine lying on a tabletop), the flying camel ends up being so much better. In this position, my left leg has less scissor-like motion and doesn't swing.

Death drop--Wow and good luck!

starskate6.0
12-09-2004, 09:59 PM
DEATH DROP 8O
"WoW" I tried that once and renamed it " Dead drop" :lol: Wow, if only.
I envy you if you have the ability to achieve this amazing feat. Not every body can do this. It takes guts, power and style to get into this. ;)
My hats of to you sk8er :bow: :bow: :bow: .

Let me know when you get it down , I want a lesson.

sk8er1964
12-09-2004, 10:19 PM
My coach and I were discussing this last Friday. I was doing some wonky flying camels, and she said that it looked like I was trying to do a death drop. My problem was in my upper body. In the flying camel, I aim to keep my upper body parallel with the ice instead of keeping my head and chest up. When I do this (I sometimes imagine lying on a tabletop), the flying camel ends up being so much better. In this position, my left leg has less scissor-like motion and doesn't swing.

Death drop--Wow and good luck!

That makes sense. I'll try it tomorrow.

sk8er1964
12-09-2004, 10:24 PM
DEATH DROP 8O
"WoW" I tried that once and renamed it " Dead drop" :lol: Wow, if only.
I envy you if you have the ability to achieve this amazing feat. Not every body can do this. It takes guts, power and style to get into this. ;)
My hats of to you sk8er :bow: :bow: :bow: .

Let me know when you get it down , I want a lesson.

Once my coach told me this, it was easier:

Waltz jump into a spiral into a back sit. Think camel sit for that transition.

Do a frame-by-frame of an elite on tv, and you'll see the steps.

As far as guts go, when I fall on this element, all I do is sit down on my butt. None of them have been hard falls - I've had many worse ones on jumps. As long as you can get your body to do those three steps - the spin part will come, and the falls won't be as scary.

starskate6.0
12-10-2004, 01:14 PM

As far as guts go, when I fall on this element, all I do is sit down on my butt. None of them have been hard falls - I've had many worse ones on jumps. As long as you can get your body to do those three steps - the spin part will come, and the falls won't be as scary.

:roll: I guess Ill have to get the camel spin a little better before I try this but thanks for the input, Maybe Ill give it a go tomorrow.

The greatest risk in life is not taking one :bow:

NoVa Sk8r
12-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Waltz jump into a spiral into a back sit. Think camel sit for that transition. Do a frame-by-frame of an elite on tv, and you'll see the steps.

What a great visual.
I had always thought of the death drop as a flying camel quickly going into a back sit.

Hmm ... I've gotta try this when I get a strong, healthy back again.

flo
12-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Interesting - I had trouble with flying camels because I was use to pair pull butterflies. I like the flying part - but that spin..... :roll: Perhaps I'll try the death drop.

doubletoe
12-10-2004, 04:14 PM

You're referring to the death drop here, right? (99% sure, but having a blonde moment)

sk8er1964
12-10-2004, 04:19 PM
You're referring to the death drop here, right? (99% sure, but having a blonde moment)

Yes.

8-) 8-) 8-)