View Full Version : Wayne, NJ Adult Summer Clinic

Isk8NYC
06-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Anyone going to the Adult Summer Clinic in Wayne, NJ? It's at the Ice Vault Arena on Tuesday and Thursday nights (7-8:45pm)

LWalsh
06-15-2004, 01:04 PM
I hadn't heard anything about this. Do you have more information?

Isk8NYC
06-16-2004, 12:26 PM
You can get info on Ice Vault Arena at IceVault.com, but the website only shows the kids' learn to skate group lessons + LTS camp. The half-day camp looks really good, if you live in the area. (I don't :( )

However, I received a huge brochure in the mail that listed a lot more than the website shows. The day starts at 7am and ends at 8:45pm. The schedule has high and low level sessions for freestyle, dance and stroking. You can pick and choose your packages, which include both off-and on-ice sessions + freestyles.

What caught my eye was the little corner blurb about the Adult Skating clinic. It includes a 15 minute footwork session followed by a 90 minute freestyle. Footwork is my biggest weakness, and I want to improve my skills this year in that area.

The rates for the Adult Clinic are $25-one day, $45-one week (2 sessions), $160-four weeks (16 sessions). The Clinic starts on July 6th, and runs for 8 weeks through August 26th.

Isk8NYC
07-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Okay, after the first week of this clinic/freestyle, I have to say I'm satisfied. I went last Thursday and Friday night, and I can't wait for tomorrow. They've changed the date and time to 7pm to 8:50pm.

Kathe Baker is teaching the Thursday night footwork clinic. Last week, she worked with each of us on the maneuver of our choice. Everyone chose something different, but she handled it very well.

Bibi Moritz teaches the Friday night clinic. She put on some music and we worked on full-ice patterns. We skated three turns, step sequences, and some interesting cross-over and -unders that made you really think.

The freestyle afterward is EMPTY! We had maybe six people on the ice at any one time. Nice crowd, too. Very friendly people.

So, my summer goal is to improve that footwork weakness. So far, I'm doing okay.