View Full Version : Alpha testing

Alexa
07-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Is there a difference between skating clubs in terms of what skills belong in alpha? I am asking because in my class, it is required to be able to do the mohawk in alpha, whereas I have heard from others on this board passing alpha without mentioning that skill.

The other thing that is part of our alpha testing is beginning to work on back inside/outside edges, and that is another thing I have not heard much about from other alphas on this board.

From the home page of the rink it appears they use ISI basic skills, so I am not sure if that means anything or not in regard to my question.

But I have to say, the mohawk sure makes it difficult to complete alpha! The good thing is that they do not hold you back from doing beta skills while finishing some alpha skills, but alpha would be a lot easier to pass without the mohawk.

flo
07-18-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi,
This is from Don Korte's site, but you may want to get a copy of the ISI manual.

Alpha (1)
Forward stroking
Forward crossovers - right foot over left
Forward crossovers - left foot over right
1-foot snowplow stop

Beta (2)
Backward stroking
Backward crossover - right foot over left
Backward crossover - left foot over right
T-stop - right foot outside edge
T-stop - left foot outside edge

Gamma (3)
RFO 3-turn (one-foot turn)
LFO 3-turn
RFI open mohawk combination sequence
From right T-position do 3 strokes
RFI open mohawk
RBO glide
stepforward to LFO
LFI open mohawk combination sequence
(see above)
Hockey stop

Delta (4)
RFI 3-turn
LFI 3-turn
Forward edges (4 semicircles each) FO, FI
Choice of one:
Shoot the duck
Lunge
Bunny hop

Alexa
07-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Flo. That is interesting, because hockey stop is also on our alpha list. Luckily that is something I can do fairly easy, but on the list you have that is a gamma skill.

Oh well, it does not hurt to be prepared and to start working on some of the harder skills earlier :-)