View Full Version : New Year's Comp (partial) report

Debbie S
01-31-2004, 04:31 PM
I got home a few hours ago from the competition. I wish I could have stayed longer and seen more, but I've got b-school work that's been piling up this week. Plus my mom came with me, and she was cold - she's not used to ice rinks. It was an early morning - I got up at 5 and left around 6:15 - and I was so worried about sleeping though my alarm that I kept waking up in the middle of the night at various times - LOL - but I'm proud of my performance in light of my lack of sleep. I finished 3rd in my group out of 4 (our very own Terri C was the winner) but 2 judges put me 1st. (I joked to my coach that I hope they judge test sessions at the Gardens in Laurel - that's where I think I'm going to be testing my pre-Bronze moves - hey they were from the D.C area, it's possible :))

Unfortunately, I was the last skater in my group (I predicted I would skate either first or last), so I didn't get to watch the other skaters, but I did order the event on video, so eventually, I will get to see it. Things were a little crazy right before I skated b/c my coach didn't get there until literally the last minute (she had gone the wrong way on I-495 and it took her 2 hours to get to the rink - as opposed to an hour and 15 min or so). Fortunately, another coach from my rink was there b/c she was coaching another skater from my rink/club in Young Adult Pre-Bronze (the event right after mine), so she stayed with me during the warm-up and the backstage stuff - she and her student and I had a group hug - LOL! My coach came after the first skater (Terri actually) had started.

My program went fine, except that I decided to start at the blue line closest to the entrance, instead of the further one, b/c that way I could (theoretically) turn the program around and have it oriented toward the judges, instead of the opposite side. Of course, that went awry when, after my opening (sorta) backspin, I went in the wrong direction to start my jumping sequences. Oh well, I did finish facing the judges after my final spin. And I landed all of my jumps, except that the toe loop in my (2nd) sal-toe combo didn't have much "toe" to it - my toe pick was kind of to the side of my other foot instead of behind. But I got 4 revs on my scratch spin at the end - unfortunately, only about 3 revs on my sit spin. :( And how's this for bizarre - I added a toe loop after my first salchow (which was supposed to be a solo), so I had 2 sal-toe combos, and I didn't even realize what I did! My coach commented after I skated how ambitious I had been to do 2 sal-toe combos. I had no idea what she was talking about. :lol:

Anyway, I also had a chance to watch Dani in Bronze FS - she has terrific flow and speed, and a cool move where she does a sit spin out of a lunge. Flo did a great job in Silver CM - she won her group - her back spiral is amazing - flo, can I borrow your BO edges? :) LoopLoop and Skaternum each did a great job in their Silver FS event - I left right after it was over so I don't know the results. And I believe Erdehoff was the other competitor in Young Adult Pre-Bronze (along with my rink buddy) and won. She should definitely compete more often. So should the skater from my rink. We at the rink will have to work on that one. :)

All in all, for my first solo competition (I did a team event in November), it was a good one. It was great to meet everyone from the forum. I do wish I had "skated" better. I'm sure I'll see more on the video, but in the pics they took at the comp that I looked at during a break (I bought a couple), I noticed that I looked tentative - not a lot of knee bend and my upper body looked awkward, although my coach said that I had a good back position on my sit spin. My spirals looked nice, although I want to improve the extension and try to do my back spiral w/o bending my skating knee. Watching the Bronze FS events showed me what I need to work on to skate at the next level - spins, speed, and edging, and just feeling comfortable out there. I imagine that just takes time.

Back to my accounting homework. :twisted:

mikawendy
01-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Congrats to Terri C, Debbie, flo, and everyone else who skated!! If anyone has pictures to post, do share them with us all!

I wanted to see the competition but had a freestyle lesson today (and the test is next week). I'm glad I didn't make the 2 hr. drive after the lesson because I discovered that I have a screw in one tire. (At least it's in the tread area, so it can be patched tomorrow. And I'll have to get up so early I might be able to go to a freestyle session and practice my moves in the field.)

erdehoff
01-31-2004, 08:02 PM
<< And I believe Erdehoff was the other competitor in Young Adult Pre-Bronze (along with my rink buddy) and won. She should definitely compete more often. So should the skater from my rink. We at the rink will have to work on that one. >>

Yep, that would be me! Debbie, you skated GREAT! And so did your rinkmate, the other person in my category. She had a terrific skate and I was glad to have met her. I was so thrilled just to be there. I competed two or three times when I was about 12 (I barely remember it), and this was my first adult competition, so I had no idea what to expect. What a great group of people! Everybody was so positive and supportive of each other. I did get to meet several people from the boards, including Debbie and Skaternum and a few others. (I would remember your names, but I think I was still all nervous when I met you and I've forgotten them!)

Because my coach picked Tuesday to change around the second half of my program, I was happy just to get the choreography right. And I didn't fall! I'm hoping to do the Capital Regional Competition in Bowie this spring and hope some other young adults decide to do it, too. I'll keep my eyes open for them!

Good luck to anyone who's skating tomorrow!

dani
02-01-2004, 07:15 AM
I am happy to report that Skaternum won Silver II and LoopLoop took the silver!

I was also happy with my performances. I think I was the undisputed bronze queen! ;-) I entered three events and took three bronze medals ;-)

Hugs!!
Danielle

flutzilla1
02-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Congratulations everyone! It sounds like you all sk8ed gr8 and had a great time! :)

RNsk8r
02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Well I just got back from doing my exhibition. It went alright, my coach said my spins and presentation were better than she had ever seen in competition. I rushed big time though, and didn't hold any of my jump landings. That was the judges biggest critique-rushing. Overall, it went pretty well and I got good feedback to improve the program for my next comp. in two weeks.

I am also planning on doing CRC's, erdehoff. It is nice to see some more young adult competitors out there.

skaternum
02-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Had a blast, as usual! We got to see lots of old skating friends and make some new ones. erdehoff did a great job in her YA event, and you should have seen dani's fabulous Interp number! In fact, all the skatingforum people I saw skate did really well. And a bunch of us got together for dinner on Saturday, which was a lot of fun. Most of us were finished skating, so we could unwind and have all the greasy fried food we could stand! And booze for a few of us. :) (Shhh. If my faux pairs partner asks, all I had was a salad and some water. wink.)

Man, was I tight during the warmup for my FS event! I felt like I never really got down into my knees. It didn't help that they'd lost a couple of CDs and had to call me over during warmup to go get my backup tape from my friend at the boards. (And that is why you really should keep a spare handy at the boards. The other skater whose music was lost had to run to the dressing room and get hers!) So I lost almost a minute of my warmup taking care of that. Everything in my program was clean, but it just felt tight and icky. I always seem to forget how big a factor nerves are for adult skaters. I had to keep reminding myself that I do this for fun as a hobby, and I'm not actually going off to slaughter when I step out onto the ice by myself.

I bought the video for the whole flight so I can see what other people did later (too nervous to watch during the event) and a couple of the pictures, and I'm very pleased with my gold medal. It's a big improvement, because a mere 16 months ago, I finished dead last in my first-ever Silver competition after testing up.

I missed having my faux pairs partner there, because he's so much fun, but I still had a great time. All the skatingforums people were so nice. Not a whacko in the bunch! ;) Hey. Wait a minute. ... Maybe I'm the whacko in the bunch. Hmm. Hadn't thought of that.

Kudos to jenlyon60 for a great job with the hospitality for judges. And to the rest of the competition committee for putting on this event. We know how much work it is, and are very appreciative.

Black Sheep
02-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
And that is why you really should keep a spare handy at the boards. The other skater whose music was lost had to run to the dressing room and get hers

Sounds familiar....;)

Any results and/or photos posted yet? 8-)

skaternum
02-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
Any results and/or photos posted yet? 8-)

It's probably going to take me a while to get anything posted, because I'm heading out for my annual ski vacation next Saturday. I'm going to be up to my eyeballs doing skating laundry and then packing ski clothes. I'll try to get something up as soon as I get home from that.

sk8pics
02-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S
Of course, that went awry when, after my opening (sorta) backspin, I went in the wrong direction to start my jumping sequences.

Debbie, I had to laugh at this because I went the wrong way during a runthrough last week, too! :roll: I'll have to practice starting on both ends of the rink (it's a half-ice event) so I don't do that in the competition!

Congrats to you, and everyone else! sounds like you had a great time.

Pat

Moto Guzzi
02-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Black Sheep, complete results will eventually be posted on the WFSC website. Is there somebody in particular you would like to know about?

RNsk8r, I missed your exhibition because I was talking to somebody I haven't seen for several years who is now teaching at Ashburn. I'm glad you got good feedback from the judges.

flo
02-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi,
Back from the event, and we all had a great time. Congrats to all! It was really a good competition, and thought that the level of skating was pretty impresive. I had a chance to see Debbie (great job)! and then skaternum and loops in the silver ladies. I thought the programs were great! Then I saw Dani in our interpretive group. Everyone really enjoyed her performance.
My events went well. I first had the silver compuslory moves. in the event was also a friend from my club who won the gold last year in the event. I thougt we all did pretty well, and I ended up winning this year and she came in second.
I had a great time in the interpretive event. I skated last so I had a chance to see many of the programs, which were really good, and had a good level of skating and performing. My program's a special one for this year, for the 10th Adult Nationals and all the friends I've met through skating. I really enjoyed the program and won.
It was great to see everyone, and I'd also like to see some pictures. I'm not sure if I have a place to post any.

erdehoff
02-01-2004, 05:37 PM
RNsk8r, I'll definitely try to do CRCs. Are you in YA? What level are you at? I'm currently at pre-bronze but am hoping I can pass my preliminary tests (failed on the moves last month, but I'm taking another shot this month) and go to Bronze, as is the other person who was in YA Pre-Bronze.

Flo, was that you doing the Adult Nationals memories program in Interpretive? That was a great program! It was obviously very heartfelt, and I loved the bits at the beginning where you did edges and things.

Sorry I couldn't go out to dinner with you guys -- I ended up having too much work to do and had to go home. But I hope to see you next year!

skaternum
02-01-2004, 05:57 PM
erdehoff, you need to come down to Peach Classic this year! It's a larger competition, so you stand a chance of having other young adults. It's usually Labor Day weekend.

flo
02-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks erdehoff! That was me. I did the figures at the begining because they were included in the first few AN's. Then there's some basic freeskating and then a run of counters down the ice to represent the moves. It was a lot of fun! Were you in the group with a woman from Ice World - Chesapeake FSC? She came in second in her event.

RNsk8r
02-01-2004, 07:00 PM
erdehoff, I am a YA for another 18 months. I have passed my Prelim. free and prejuv moves. I was working on juv moves, but am taking a break from them for a while. See you at CRC's

Terri C
02-01-2004, 08:03 PM
(And that is why you really should keep a spare handy at the boards.

Which I made sure that LoopLoop ( who put me on the ice) had in her hand before I skated! :D

Many thanks to LoopLoop, NoVaSk8er,Skaternum, and Dani for helping me with sanity maintenance during my event!
By the way, I got a silver in Bronze MIF!

dani
02-01-2004, 08:18 PM
And Terri did a wonderful job announcing the awards, too! It was neat having a friend with that duty on Saturday! And Bob, who put the awards on us did a great job putting the medals over our pony tails!

I didn't see Terri's MIF event but she had a wonderful pre-bronze skate!

I didn't have my copy at the boards, and I just realized that!

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Glad you made it back safely Terri!

jenlyon60
02-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I finally made it out of the rink today at 5:30 (was trialing on the test session, then we had to finish tearing down the hospitality suite...)

Happy it's over for another year.... but if anyone is interested in Cherry Blossom, they usually have adult FS events. I get a break from hospitality most likely... got asked to help with admissions (Cherry Blossom is big enough that we sell tickets).

erdehoff
02-01-2004, 08:52 PM
erdehoff, you need to come down to Peach Classic this year! It's a larger competition, so you stand a chance of having other young adults. It's usually Labor Day weekend.

By the time Peach Classic rolls around, I'll be a real grown-up! Guess that means I'll have to take the adult tests? We'll see how far I've gotten by then... I'm hoping to get my preliminary moves and freestyle done by March or April, and then we'll see.

erdehoff
02-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by flo
Thanks erdehoff! That was me. I did the figures at the begining because they were included in the first few AN's. Then there's some basic freeskating and then a run of counters down the ice to represent the moves. It was a lot of fun! Were you in the group with a woman from Ice World - Chesapeake FSC? She came in second in her event.

I loved the counters! It was a great program.

And yes, I was with the woman from Ice World. She was really nice and I hope she does CRC!

jazzpants
02-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Congrats to skaternum, LoopLoop, flo, dani, Debbie, my coach of course, Terri and anyone else that skated!!! :) You guys ROCK!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Black Sheep
02-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Moto Guzzi
Black Sheep, complete results will eventually be posted on the WFSC website. Is there somebody in particular you would like to know about?

No, I just want to see if I recognize any familiar names. 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
02-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Terri C
Which I made sure that LoopLoop ( who put me on the ice) had in her hand before I skated! :D

Many thanks to LoopLoop, NoVaSk8er,Skaternum, and Dani for helping me with sanity maintenance during my event!
By the way, I got a silver in Bronze MIF!

LoopLoop was doing double duty ... she helped calm my frazzled nerves after my less-than-stellar performance in silver I FS. :bow:

Everyone should have a LoopLoop for their performance (Rent-a-Loops?).

And I can say to LoopLoop that I will definitely try NOT to shake when (notice I didn't say "if") we compete in faux pairs. :D

Mrs Redboots
02-02-2004, 04:11 AM
Congratulations to the lot of you! It sounds as though you had a wonderful time, worked hard, skated well, and generally promoted the Great Cause (of Adult Skating). ;)

Hope to see lots of you at the Mountain Cup. Our first competition this year isn't until May, so you will all have had loads more practice than me.

jenlyon60
02-02-2004, 05:08 AM
Flo -- I was in awe watching your counters down the rink. From where I was sitting, they looked better than many of the Novice MIF test counters I've observed.

dani
02-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by NoVa Sk8r
Everyone should have a LoopLoop for their performance (Rent-a-Loops?).

That is very true! At my first competition, flutzilla held me together and did a great job keeping me calm. skaternum held that job and did a wonderful job this time. Thanks to everyone! I haven't had the honor of doing that for one of our members yet although I have during the Peach for a member of my home club.

Hugs!
Danielle

LoopLoop
02-02-2004, 07:54 AM
The competition was a blast! Skaternum did a great program to win our event, Terri C had a terrific scratch spin, Dani and Flo showed both ends of the spectrum of interpretive programs, both of which were excellent in different styles, NoVaSk8r did awesome his first time out in silver, Jen kept the judges happy, Debbie S did really well in her first solo competition... not to mention DCDen who kicked ***.

I thought I skated OK. Not my best, but definitely not my worst. Landed the axel and pulled off the flying sitspin, which I was really worried about, but I forgot to push heading into my lutz and didn't have enough speed (ANY speed, actually at that point) to pull it off. And I slipped off the edge on my camel spin entrance so the whole combination spin was a bit messy.

I'll see everybody at the Peach! (And locals at CRC!)

skaternum
02-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I forgot to mention dcden. His flying camel in the spins event was awesome!!

dcden
02-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Hey LoopLoop... thanks for the assessment of my FS. I wasn't quite so enamored with my FS, though, as there were some elements that I left on the warmup. And my seesaw imitation on my combo spin was not what I'd intended. I was more happy with my spin event, although I think many of us were confused about how that was run. It sorta made sense after it was all over though.

Congrats to all... I wish I could have seen more programs, but I'm the type who gets nervous watching others right before my event(s); plus I had to talk with the rink manager during the interpretive events about a side matter which I won't get into (though NoVa skater knows what I'm talking about). And NoVa, wasn't it Dick Button that said that sometimes a bad performance can be the best thing for you, because it motivates you to be that much better next time? Trust me, we've all had those types of performances, and you just have to channel the frazzled/flustered feelings into your next few practices to improve for the next competition (club competition, in 3 weeks?). And for all of us, having competed this weekend will make us that much more prepared for Sectionals and Nationals... remember that!

On a lighter note, how was dinner at Ruby Tuesday's? I went with the Leesburg crowd and stuffed my face at the Italian restaurant.

And, any results from Sunday? I slept in till noon that morning... sorry, but my events on Saturday wore me out.

flo
02-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Wow Jenny - Thanks! I've been working on them for this program. One of my coaches wanted to take them out because one side was so weak, but I kept them in, and just kept going at them!
I had a really great time, and as I said I thought the quality of skating at each level was really quite good. And DCden - your spin event was great, and I'm glad I wasn't the only one a bit confused by the order and all. I was putting on a friend of mine in the silver spins - and we had a hard time figuring out what was going on!
Congrats to all, and hope to see you at the next one!

Moto Guzzi
02-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by dcden
And, any results from Sunday? I slept in till noon that morning... sorry, but my events on Saturday wore me out. Results from Sunday:

Bronze MIF
1. Denise Smith
2. Teresa Chadwick
3. Mary Mass

Gold MIF
1. Lynn Goldfarb
2. Dianne Probasco
3. L. Borden Lee
4. Delsie McCoy
5. Janet Long
6. Caroline Thorington

Pre Bronze Dance
1. Ann Gudis/Tim Fisher
2. Heidi Corcoran/John Hillenbrand

Pre Bronze MIF
1. Lucia Esther
2. Barbara Kapinus

Pre Bronze Solo Dance
1. Terri McIntyre
2. Melissa Pepling
3. Lucia Esther

Silver MIF
1. Melissa Pepling
2. Cheryl Zeleznak
3. Patricia Bryan

NoVa Sk8r
02-02-2004, 11:56 AM
And NoVa, wasn't it Dick Button that said that sometimes a bad performance can be the best thing for you, because it motivates you to be that much better next time? Trust me, we've all had those types of performances, and you just have to channel the frazzled/flustered feelings into your next few practices to improve for the next competition (club competition, in 3 weeks?).

Yes, too true den. This event definitely awoke me from my sleep. I will be competing in the club comp in 3 weeks. (Wow, I wrote that with nary a tremble!) As my wise coach pointed out early this morning, it really was a good performance for me: I landed a lutz/loop/loop/toe combo and did a spiffy (stickin' with the Dick Button theme) camel/mushroom with arms over head spin/back scratch. I'll take it.

Note to self: Try not to skate in an early practice session and then wait nearly 7 hours to skate. The nervousness definitely hit epic proportions.

Take note silver men, I'm on the hunt!

Oh, and I meant to tell you den that your spins were AWESOME in the spin contest. (I didn't really see your freeskate, I was still in the post-skating depression/glow after my program--but I did see your full-rink footwork--looked good to me!)

dcden
02-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks Moto for the Sunday results, and to all for the positive feedback from my spin event. I just wish I could have transferred those spins to my FS, but oh well, that's something to work on for next time.

NoVa, I agree with your note to self... what I sometimes do is take it easy the day before (or the morning of) my event, to "save it" for the competition. And as you know, on Saturday I often had to get away from everyone so as not to be overwhelmed by all that was going on at the rink. So take this weekend as a valuable learning experience and you'll be that much more prepared for club competition. I'm really looking forward to watching that event... it's going to start getting b*tchy with you and a certain other skater throwing Axels.

NoVa Sk8r
02-02-2004, 01:11 PM
So take this weekend as a valuable learning experience and you'll be that much more prepared for club competition. I'm really looking forward to watching that event... it's going to start getting b*tchy with you and a certain other skater throwing Axels.

HaHaHa...:) I'll be sure to get my claws sharpened before the event. You know I'm gonna throw my axel (well, attempt) in there come hell or frozen, er high, water.

There's a lot at risk. I finally actually looked at the club event announcement, and the winner of the highest level Boy's/ Men's event wins the Michael Weiss Nebelhorn Trophy, whatever the heck that is. :P

skaternum
02-02-2004, 02:46 PM
... what I sometimes do is take it easy the day before (or the morning of) my event, to "save it" for the competition.

This is what I do too. In fact, I didn't skate much the week of the competition. And when I did skate, I didn't skate hard and only did one run-through. You'll notice I took it really easy on practice ice Friday (hey, I was too busy blowing up balloons to stuff down our leotards!) and Saturday morning. I don't even want to hear my music played the day of the event, just to keep it fresh.

NoVa, you should head south and do the Central Carolina Classic. They have lots of silver events offered.

Terri C
02-02-2004, 05:52 PM
I agree with not skating much the week before competition- due to Mother Nature with the weather and all, and work issues, I was only able to skate one hour a day Mon- Wed before the competition!
Also, when I got the practice schedule and showed it to Coach, she told me not to skate the morning practice, as my event was too early!

Looks like I will be at Central Carolina Classic (my b- day is that Sunday!)- and skating Pre- Bronze for that too!

Terri C
02-02-2004, 05:57 PM
By the way, showed off my medals at work today and was just going to keep them in my pocket,when the nursing supervisor said "you ought to wear them" Showed the competiton video in the staff lounge at least 20 times- does anyone have any of their co- workers ask about their skating besides me??

erdehoff
02-02-2004, 09:55 PM
My co-workers caught sight of my medal in my purse (someone had asked me to bring it in), which led to the pictures being brought out as well, so yes, they were all interested. Although the sports reporters tried not to look too interested. :D

jazzpants
02-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey LoopLoop... thanks for the assessment of my FS. I wasn't quite so enamored with my FS, though, as there were some elements that I left on the warmup. And my seesaw imitation on my combo spin was not what I'd intended. I was more happy with my spin event, although I think many of us were confused about how that was run. It sorta made sense after it was all over though.
But hey, you beat out my coach!!! :P :D (Congrats to you, BTW.) :mrgreen:

I saw Jay tonight and he was saying "I keep getting all these strange people coming up to me saying hello and 'I know one of your students.'" :lol:

Guys! Thank you for giving Jay a welcome reception! And no, I didn't get a chance to ask him if he saw the balloon thing either. :lol: But he did mentioned that he's gonna send that blackmail material to skaternum. (Uh, oh!) :oops: :evil:

skaternum
02-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Yay, Jay!!!

skaternum
02-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Full results are available now:

http://users.erols.com/wfsc/docs/NYrs04_Results.html

flo
02-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the link, I can now associate the forum and real names!
Sorry I messed the evening out. I had two dogs at home waiting!