View Full Version : Australian news regarding ice skating rinks and insurance

Aussie Willy
07-02-2002, 07:28 PM
Just to let any Australian skaters know that the Oakleigh Rink in Melbourne has ceased operations as of today due public liability insurance and being unable to obtain it.

I am incredibly depressed. The other rink in Melbourne at Ringwood is quite a distance for me to travel to and does not have any suitable times. Basically this means that myself, along with quite a few others,

I will be forced to give up ice skating, unless the rink can get insurance or government assistance.

I am not sure how many other rinks in Australia are affected by this. Please let me know by PM.

Just another nail in the coffin for Victorian Figure Skating.

jasmine
07-03-2002, 06:10 AM
That sounds awful - I think you need to go on a factfinding mission to try to find a solution ...

For example,
Why were they refused public liability insurance?
How can these factors be overcome?
Why is the rink in Ringwood continuing to operate?
Or is it just an excuse to close the rink because it is not profit-making?
If it is not profit-making, can you get sponsorship or turn it to profit somehow?

Good luck!

Aussie Willy
07-03-2002, 07:33 PM
Jasmine

I am not sure where you live but in Australia there is a big issue with public liability insurance at the moment. Basically many insurance companies have just stopped providing this type of insurance and many companies who provide activities similar to ice skating have been unable to obtain insurance. Otherwise the insurance providers have raised premiums so high it is becoming unaffordable. So the rink is not the only one affected by this. September 11th has been used as the excuse. This has also affected school fetes and other activities. Even companies who have never made claims have been refused insurance.

As for the Ringwood rink - there are suspicions that they don't have insurance but please don't quote me on that.

So we do know why it has happened. It is now a case of them being able to obtain it.

BTW - the issue has received heaps of publicity in the media which is amazing for a type of sport (including hockey and speed skating) that normally gets no coverage.

Artistic Skaters
07-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Won't the skating federation & some of the big hockey programs step in & help out with this? We have so many rinks in my area now, it seems like there's one on every other corner. But I remember when we used to have to drive an hour each way in the summer to get to a practice. That's too bad. :(

Aussie Willy
07-03-2002, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately this rink is privately owned and operated. The clubs hire the use of the ice from the rink. However even if the rink let the clubs use it then who is going to pay the insurance cover for the zamboni drivers plus the rest of the facilities. The rink is not prepared to let the clubs do this because they are not indemnified. It is very complicated.

The only way that it will be saved is an insurance company will be willing to provide the rink with insurance.

As I said the ice rink is not the only company or organisation with insurance problems.

anital
07-04-2002, 12:24 AM
[quote:9a88adfd53="Artistic Skaters"]Won't the skating federation & some of the big hockey programs step in & help out with this? We have so many rinks in my area now, it seems like there's one on every other corner. But I remember when we used to have to drive an hour each way in the summer to get to a practice. That's too bad. :([/quote:9a88adfd53]

Artistic Skaters,

In Aus there isn't really "big hockey programs"!! Unless, ofcourse it's field hcokey where we are the world champions! The Winter sports here don't get much money or coverage and the skating federation probably doesn't have enough money to bail Oakleigh out, ISA (Ice Skating Australia) is nothing like what you guys have in the US! The skaters here don't get much funding, there just isn't the call for it in Winter sports. And it is much harder if the rink is private managed and owned like at Oakleigh.

Aussie Willy, I emailed you, hope the government and the public stands behind you and the rink gets the insurance. Nothing like that has happened here, if it did I'd have to drive to Sydney! Have the ISA had anything to say?

jasmine
07-04-2002, 04:56 AM
I wonder if there may be a solution in getting the public to buy individual insurance along with their ticket? In Europe, when you just take a day of half-day's skiing, this is done at your own risk, but you can buy insurance from the lift pass office supplied by Carte Neige or Snow Card. Perhaps you could contact the Australian Ice Skating Federation to discuss this?

anital
07-05-2002, 12:21 AM
Jasmine,

I think at most rinks this is what happens already (everyone pays insurance as part of the ticket price) but now because of the insurance crisis Aus is in (everywhere, hospitals, beaches, fetes etc, the insurance has increased 700% in some cases because claims are so high) the ticket price would be so high that the rink probably still can't make a profit because noone could afford to go. It's really sad, and harder because Oakleigh is privately owned and operated.

I did hear it on the news (radio) though and it looks like corporate sponsors might be an avenue Oakleigh could look at, as well as government funding maybe? Hope it all works out for you Victorians, have fun in Bendigo Aussie Willy.

Aussie Willy
07-05-2002, 01:39 AM
Well there is some hope. The rink are talking to an insurance company and hopefully we might have some news next week. We all have our toes and fingers crossed.

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2002, 11:29 AM
[quote:9781004607="Aussie Willy"]Well there is some hope. The rink are talking to an insurance company and hopefully we might have some news next week. We all have our toes and fingers crossed.[/quote:9781004607]

I do hope it works out; keep us posted!

Aussie Willy
07-09-2002, 08:09 PM
Just to let those who are interested know that the rink got it's insurance and opens again this Saturday. We are all happy little skaters now.

Time to celebrate and get drunk!!!!!

garyc254
07-10-2002, 08:06 AM
[quote:1081ac6afd="Aussie Willy"]Time to celebrate and get drunk!!!!![/quote:1081ac6afd]

Is that all you Aussies think about: drinking, partying, and playing in the Outback? :P Next thing you'l be telling me is that you carry boomerangs on your hip while you skate and offer 'roos ice time. :P

Very glad to hear your problem is at least temporarily resolved. :D It's amazing what a little media coverage can stir up.

If it happens again, I'd push for some corporate sponsorships. You'd be amazed what large corporations will sponsor. All they want is customer recognition and advertising in return. Sounds fair to me. :)

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie Willy
07-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Gary - LOL - didn't you know we have skating kangaroos and wombats in Australia? They make up most of the ice hockey players.

However there has been a really nasty side to this whole rink debacle.

The other rink in Melbourne has been extremely unwelcoming of any other figure skaters. People who normally skated at our now re-opened rink were basically refused permission to skate in the figure sessions at the other rink. We only have a small figure skating community but why they were so precious about it I just don't know. Even those who skated in the public session were made to feel very unwelcome, not just by the coach who runs the figure skating program there but also by the rink management.

Anyway our rink is open again and we are happy. It is just if this other rink gets into a similar crisis it will be interesting to see what happens then. It will come back to bite them in some way for sure, if not tomorrow then sometime in the future.

garyc254
07-11-2002, 09:06 AM
I'm discovering that the rink "rivalry" you describe is not uncommon. We have a dozen rinks in the St. Louis area and most prefer not to help skaters from another rink. They get so caught up in their own skaters and programs that the only time they "invite" other skaters in is when they're trying to coerce them to join their club or team.

Fortunately, one of my coaches is also program director at her rink. She's VERY open with the other rinks and coaches. She refuses to have either a USFSA or ISI club at her rink as it becomes too political. She runs her programs with a balance of public, hockey, and figure skating sessions which include an adult only public session every Monday night (my favorite). Any coach could approach her about using the ice for lessons and she would be most helpful. Her rink has the best ice in the area, the best coaches, and promotes good, fun skating for all disciplines: figure, speed, & hockey (all of which she skates personally).

Because of these "rivalries", there are several rinks where I refuse to skate. They make you feel unwelcome.

Mrs Redboots
07-11-2002, 11:17 AM
[quote:2c913bbb46="Aussie Willy"]Just to let those who are interested know that the rink got it's insurance and opens again this Saturday. We are all happy little skaters now.

Time to celebrate and get drunk!!!!![/quote:2c913bbb46]

Delighted to hear it - bring on the champagne!!!! :lol:

Mazurka Girl
07-11-2002, 01:42 PM
[quote:61a20fbc43="garyc254"]Fortunately, one of my coaches is also program director at her rink. She's VERY open with the other rinks and coaches. She refuses to have either a USFSA or ISI club at her rink as it becomes too political. She runs her programs with a balance of public, hockey, and figure skating sessions which include an adult only public session every Monday night (my favorite). Any coach could approach her about using the ice for lessons and she would be most helpful. Her rink has the best ice in the area, the best coaches, and promotes good, fun skating for all disciplines: figure, speed, & hockey (all of which she skates personally).[/quote:61a20fbc43]
Having a USFSA club of ISI team at a rink is not what makes it political. It's the leadership, including the rink management & skating director, not only a club or team, that makes it political or sets the tone for a cooperative atmosphere. Personally having been involved in both ISI & USFSA programs, I would consider rinks that refuse to offer opportunities with these groups as not serving the needs of their figure skating community because things like testing are an integral part of it. The rinks where I skate offer both & have nicely run programs. The USFSA & ISI programs are not the cause of discord at local rinks, it's usually certain groups of parents & coaches who can't & won't get along with others.

Aussie Willy
07-11-2002, 07:34 PM
I have to say you are fortunate to be in a position where you can have rink rivalry. Unfortunately here because of the attitude of this coach who runs the figure session, it basically meant that if our rink was unable to get insurance then most of us would have had to give up skating altogether because we would not be welcome at this other rink and because there are no other skating facilities nearby.

We are not such a large skating fraternity in Melbourne that skating can afford to have this happen.

Actually a friend of mine who skates at Junior level was thinking about boycotting this year's state championships because they are being held at the "nasty" rink and she has been treated poorly by them in the past. Last year when she trained there for the state competition (because our rink was closed for repairs) she was not even able to play her music on the sound system.

BTW - the coach in question used to skate pairs with Elena Bechke back in 84 so some of you might remember him.

garyc254
07-12-2002, 08:23 AM
[quote:0717020598="Mazurka Girl"] Having a USFSA club of ISI team at a rink is not what makes it political. It's the leadership, including the rink management & skating director, not only a club or team, that makes it political or sets the tone for a cooperative atmosphere. Personally having been involved in both ISI & USFSA programs, I would consider rinks that refuse to offer opportunities with these groups as not serving the needs of their figure skating community because things like testing are an integral part of it. The rinks where I skate offer both & have nicely run programs. The USFSA & ISI programs are not the cause of discord at local rinks, it's usually certain groups of parents & coaches who can't & won't get along with others.[/quote:0717020598]

I agree that it's not having the clubs per se, it IS the certain groups of parents and coaches as in most sports. Unfortunately, those groups are in almost every club. :(

You're talking to the wrong guy about testing. I've seen the local judges in action and wouldn't submit myself to their scrutiny. As with the clubs, there are a few that use their judging roles to play politics. So why would I want to pay money to possibly have judges I don't trust decide if I'm good enough to advance across an imaginary line of experience?

It's the ability to perform, not the judging slip, that proves the skater.

If a skater that has never tested, tried out for Miami/Ohio's precision team and outskated everyone on the team, would the team refuse to let that person on because she/he hasn't tested? If regulations say they can't, then the regulations need to be changed.

Sorry, I'm on my bandwagon. :lol: I'm bad about that. :oops: :lol:

garyc254
07-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Sorry if I sounded so negative in my previous reply.

I love my skating and most of the people I've met through skating. But there are some people that make being in clubs difficult. Not all, but often enough. Too much back-biting and gossip.

I am a USFSA member, but only so I can utilize club ice time (which isn't cheap) for one of my lessons. Had that not been the only time and rink I could get a lesson with this particular coach, I wouldn't have had any need to join the club.

I've met too many wonderful people through skating (like the ones on this forum) that it outweighs most of the negatives brought on by the few.

Mazurka Girl
07-12-2002, 03:20 PM
There are a lot of hard working volunteers in USFSA/ISI skating who are involved for the right reasons & perhaps you should meet some more of them, including judges, before making such blanket generalizations because of some individuals. I have learned from all my time at the rink that the clubs are not the cause of obnoxious skaters & parents at the rink. The difficult people earn that reputation all on their own & their affiliations don't really have anything to do with it. :( :(

The example about Miami U synchro is a moot point because the skater would already need to be tested to a specific level in order to even qualify & apply for the tryout. I agree with USFSA's or any team's decision to set those specifications because it ensures they aren't wasting their expensive ice & tryout time & keeps things productive for their team. There's always going to be any number of moms who think their kid has outskated everyone on the team. That's why there is a definitive standard available to measure skill quality. Skaters who are not interested in testing to the standard also make the choice not to qualify & compete in events when that is one of the requirements.

garyc254
07-12-2002, 04:30 PM
[quote:db0570370d="Mazurka Girl"]Yes, it does sound negative. There are a lot of hard working volunteers in USFSA/ISI skating who are involved for the right reasons & perhaps you should meet some more of them, including judges, before making such blanket generalizations because of some individuals. [/quote:db0570370d]

Actually, I am personal friends with a USFSA Judging Chairperson and National judge and have met several national and international judges and know the hours of dedicated time they put in. I also know a number of club volunteers and realize their hearts are in the right places. And most coaches I know, including a World Gold Medalist - Pairs, are terrific people and instructors.

I tried not to make my comments generalizations. I simply stated "some of" and that is the case with parents, coaches, judges, skaters, etc.

Like the judge that didn't feel like doing tests one day and just passed everyone sight unseen. A coach turned him in and he got caught.

Or the judging team that passed a skater that made three fatal errors.

Or the dad who told his daughter who had failed one of the two dance tests she took "You're lucky you passed the one test, you skated so badly. If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have passed that test." Dad was known to regularly wine & dine the top local judges one of which is also a national level judge.

Or the synchro coach that refuses to give private lessons to any of her adult team members that move on to a more advanced team. Her attempt to control her students. They are afraid of her.

I can also state some very positive people and incidents that have made skating worthwhile. If not for them, the ice wouldn't be fun.

In fact, my girlfriend is a USFSA club president.

According to your arguement about testing, a skaters ability isn't what is important, it's the certification that counts. Qualification in performance vs. qualification on paper. Hmmmm!

I don't think Vicky Korn at Miami U would turn down an exceptional skater just because she/he hasn't had the opportunity to come through the testing ranks, however unlikely that would be.

Don't get me wrong and think I'm trying to stir up an angry disagreement. This is actually a very interesting debate. :D I've had similar with several of my skating friends, club members and not.

FYI: I'm 48 years old and don't have any children that skate, so I'm not looking at this from the "skating mom's" point of view.

This may not be the best venue for this debate. If you think not, PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address.

garyc254
07-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Olympic Advice

"I reconciled myself to the fact that I may walk out of Olympic arena impressing no one but myself. I was no longer competing for them. I worked on the Dinner Roll with myself in mind ... I'm not saying go for fourth place, but be free in the way you measure your success. Don't let it depend on awards, money and other validations. You should own your own happiness."
-- Jonny Moseley, 1998 Olympic champion, freestyle moguls

Artistic Skaters
07-12-2002, 06:40 PM
[quote:fd9a90f3e2="garyc254"]According to your arguement about testing, a skaters ability isn't what is important, it's the certification that counts. Qualification in performance vs. qualification on paper. Hmmmm![/quote:fd9a90f3e2]
What you said above is not what I thought Mazurka Girl was saying at all. Funny how we all read things differently. When you find a pre-prelim skater with a ton of talent & some triples, buy her a membership in your girlfriend's club, & let us all know when she gets to sign up to skate at Nationals against seniors like Sasha & Michelle without ever taking a test. :wink: Progressing through the levels is part of the process of the sport, isn't it similar to the same theory as to why you can't just walk off the streets to play the final at Wimbeldon or why you have to be Level 10 (is that right?) to do elite Nationals in gymnastics?

Hey Aussie Willie, great news for you. I'll have a cold one (ice cold) in honor of your return to your old rink!

garyc254
07-12-2002, 07:50 PM
[quote:2888ec92fc="Artistic Skaters"] When you find a pre-prelim skater with a ton of talent & some triples, buy her a membership in your girlfriend's club, & let us all know when she gets to sign up to skate at Nationals against seniors like Sasha & Michelle without ever taking a test. :wink: [/quote:2888ec92fc]

Neither will thousands and thousands of other current pre-prelim skaters or for that matter, gold level skaters that WILL be testing. :wink:

[quote:2888ec92fc="Artistic Skaters"] Progressing through the levels is part of the process of the sport, isn't it similar to the same theory as to why you can't just walk off the streets to play the final at Wimbeldon or why you have to be Level 10 (is that right?) to do elite Nationals in gymnastics? [/quote:2888ec92fc]

Progressing through the levels entails learning and being able to perform the requirements of those levels, not necessarily testing them (except by the regulations made by the organizations that are charging money for their validation).

My point is, if a skater can perform all of those requirements and has never tested, does that mean that they really aren't able to perform those requirements? Just because you haven't tested it means you aren't able to do it?

If I could regularly land quads, wouldn't coaches and teams be clamoring to get me to join them even if I have never tested?

Coaching could teach me to land quads, not testing.

(I can't even land a Waltz jump, yet) :lol:

Artistic Skaters
07-13-2002, 07:28 PM
[quote:d070cd8521="garyc254"]My point is, if a skater can perform all of those requirements and has never tested, does that mean that they really aren't able to perform those requirements? Just because you haven't tested it means you aren't able to do it?[/quote:d070cd8521]
I haven't read here where anyone has said just because you haven't tested it means you aren't able to do it. So on that note, I'll get off the thread now since there's evidently some kind of communication breakdown.

Except of course, no communication breakdown regarding the original topic which was Aussie Willy's rink. :D

Aussie Willy
07-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Update on nasty rink

Now there is talk about skaters boycotting the State Championships due to be held in October at that rink because of the way that rink management and coach has behaved. We are also thinking of lobbying the state organising body to have the championships moved to another rink.

In fact last Wednesday a group of skaters went to skate at the nasty rink (this is before our nice rink had reopened) and were locked out. When they did manage to get into the rink, the coach there went ballistic, swearing and abusing the skaters and coach who had arrived. Now they have put a blanket ban on any skaters who are not from that rink skating in any of the figure sessions.

Basically this coach was totally unprofessional and unethical in the way he behaved and should be banned from coaching. However the problem is who is going to enforce it. We will wait and see what happens.

jasmine
07-15-2002, 05:16 AM
I can't believe that a bunch of intelligent adults with a common passion (ice-skating) have got themselves into this ridiculous situation of rivalry and antagonism. Forget about escalating it. You need to resolve it double-quick, so that you can help each other. How can the sport grow strong, if factions are fighting amongst themselves?

Rinks local to me all help each other out. For example, this time of year, they have to close for a few days to repaint the hockey lines, so they negotiate with each other to close at different periods, so that skaters and coaches can continue to practise at the other rink. The engineers are all friends, so if a Zamboni breaks down, they help each other with parts and know-how.

You need to rebuild relationships with the other rink. By the sound of it, there is just one coach there who is a complete idiot. You don't necessarily have to liaise with him. Why don't you arrange an inter-club friendly competition at a weekend, which has sections open to all levels and types of skater, and to which friends and family are invited to watch? You can lay on some food and drink at your rink, and run it like a proper competition with a panel of outside judges, and it will be very good experience for the skaters. Suggest you could run it as a a special event to celebrate the re-opening of your rink. Invite over all the skaters from the other rink to enter/spectate, and also from any other rinks in the area. If you can arrange it before the hockey season re-starts there will be plenty of free ice time. You could even advertise it to the general public, as spectators.

Friendship and cooperation is the best way forwards. There are bound to be a few sane coaches/managers/parents/skaters at the other rink who will realise this.

garyc254
07-15-2002, 08:40 AM
Another thing that can often help is to find some people from your rink that have friends that skate at the other rink. Start spreading the word that this antagonism is doing neither rink any good and that your rink would be very open to any of their members to skate.

I belong to a USFSA club, but only to take advantage of a lesson session. Everyone knows I don't test or compete, so I'm no threat to any of the other clubs or rinks. Consequently, I'm friendly with coaches and skaters from numerous clubs. I've been able to bring a few of skaters, rinks, and clubs closer together by dispelling the "bad" parts of the rivalries. I've invited rival skaters to do free-style sessions together.

One skater commeneted to me recently, "I can't believe that their (a rival) synchro team would let me watch them practice. Our synchro coach would never allow someone from another team to see what we were working on." This opened a channel that has allowed both teams to get to know each other rather than keeping their distance. Several members of both teams now enjoy skating together during free-style.

Also, the "snob" skater/coach rumors can often be dispelled with some proper introductions and friendly words.

Mazurka Girl
07-15-2002, 03:07 PM
[b:8d910e1c96]garyc254:[/b:8d910e1c96] I didn't say "a skaters ability isn't what is important, it's the certification that counts. Qualification in performance vs. qualification on paper."

What I said was that there are guidelines to participate in certain USFSA activities & skaters can choose for themselves whether or not they want to meet those requirements. But that it's important to offer the choices to all skaters, which isn't happening when rink directors don't offer the programming.

IMHO regarding your example, if a skater is so great that they can perform every MIF pattern or skating manuveur with such ease & "outskate" every other skater at the tryout, & wants to be on the team, yet isn't willing to meet the minimum specified requirements (which often does happen to be a test level & you understand the USFSA administrative fee for a test is $3 so it's not they're getting rich from it), then it says something about that skater's teamwork & level of cooperation so they may not necessarily be the best person for the team no matter how terrific their skating is. The USFSA & ISI are supposed to offer programs that 10,000 or more skaters can CHOOSE to participate in or not, but not 10,000 different programs because every skater demands special treatment or wants one for their own specific individual circumstances. That's where the sportsmanship of skating comes into play for individuals.

A quad is not a determining factor in making a good team skater. I have 5 friends that have skated on the Miami U teams (both the collegiate & elite). Doubles, triples & quads are not the important skating factors for this kind of team, & they do have to work on their MIF if they haven't completed them all by the time they join.

I'm sorry to hear you are in such a bad area that these programs can't be implemented without significant disharmony. As I indicated earlier, that is not the case for most of us. We have one rink in my area where a lot of nonsense goes on with their coaches & club. Their actions are not reflective to me of USFSA skating, but a negative reflection on that group at that particular rink & I don't let it affect my objectivity about the worth of the overall programs there or anywhere else.

[b:8d910e1c96]Aussie Willy:[/b:8d910e1c96] the skaters at that other rink would probably be pleased to hear that people will boycott their event. After all, it would mean less competition for them. The skaters who are considering the boycott should realize it would hurt them in the long run because they will miss out that year especially if it's a qualifying competition. Wouldn't it be better for them to file a written grievance instead to put their concerns on the record & then proceed with their original competition plans which might lead to a more positive outcome for them?

Aussie Willy
07-15-2002, 05:48 PM
For all of you who have suggested that we just make friends with the other rink, this is just not possible. The management have condoned this coaches behaviour and support him. Even the management kicked people out when they arrived at the rink to skate. So there is really nothing you can do when it is a privately run facility who can set there own rules.

All us skaters are extremely disappointed that this happened. With the closure of our rink we would have thought that we would have gotten some understanding from the other rink. However they made things worse. And can I say that this whole problem happened because of ONE coach. Basically people who were affected by this will never skate at the nasty rink again because even as customers they do not deserve to be treated that way.

All the skaters who were affected by this will be writing to our state skating body to ask for their support and to have the State Championships taken away from this rink so we are doing something. We will also be encouraging people to write to the National skating body too.

The nicest thing that has come out of this is as a skating community we are much closer and more supportive of each other. One the other hand I am a great believer in karma and something will happen to this rink and the coach in particular. If not today or tomorrow then sometime in the future.

anital
07-16-2002, 12:37 AM
Aussie Willy,
If you all belong to your state organisation, then can they really ban you? Joiin VISA (whatever the new name is) and then bring it up with them. I've heard of rink rivalry (but moreso state rivalry, since I sometimes skate at Penrtith and don't belong to NSWISA) but this is ridiculous. We have so few skaters here you'd think people would want to give the best chances possible, especially if you are paying good money! You guys are willing to pay to go to the figure sessions right? I don't understand the problem unless it means the figure session is too crowded?
Hope it sorts itself out. Don't know if VISA or ISA can do anything about this nasty rink since it is private.
Glad to hear you have your own happy ice back.
Anita

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2002, 10:03 AM
It is alarming how just one coach can spoil a rink; I do hope the skaters there are sensible enough not to follow his example! I have met at least three skaters from that rink, and they are extremely nice and sensible people. But it's miserable when the coaches make you feel unwelcome.

garyc254
07-16-2002, 10:13 AM
[quote:31a3753aa6="Mazurka Girl"]What I said was that there are guidelines to participate in certain USFSA activities & skaters can choose for themselves whether or not they want to meet those requirements. But that it's important to offer the choices to all skaters, which isn't happening when rink directors don't offer the programming. [/quote:31a3753aa6]

I'll qualify the above statement by saying that we have at least nine USFSA clubs/rinks in our area, so we are not lacking for club availability. The skating director/coach from the rink that does not offer clubs is a USFSA member, tests her students USFSA at another rink, sets aside freestyle sessions in her program where all coaches and figure skaters are welcome, and enjoys not having to deal with the demands of "club" people. She's a firm advocate for figure skating and literally has to fight city hall to keep hockey clubs (read: more money for the city) from taking all of the ice time.

[quote:31a3753aa6="Mazurka Girl"]which often does happen to be a test level & you understand the USFSA administrative fee for a test is $3 so it's not they're getting rich from it)[/quote:31a3753aa6]

Although the USFSA may not be getting rich with their $3, the actual price of testing, particularly if you have to hire a partner for dance, is much higher than that ($30 - $150 per test). I've talked with adults that were more worried about failing a test because the money would be wasted than because of the fear of not performing well.

[quote:31a3753aa6="Mazurka Girl"]A quad is not a determining factor in making a good team skater. [/quote:31a3753aa6]

Sorry, my fingers didn't convey my thoughts well. When I spoke of the quad, I was speaking as an individual skater, not a synchro team person. The teams I was referring to were the national/international figure skating teams.

[quote:31a3753aa6="Mazurka Girl"]I'm sorry to hear you are in such a bad area that these programs can't be implemented without significant disharmony. As I indicated earlier, that is not the case for most of us. We have one rink in my area where a lot of nonsense goes on with their coaches & club. Their actions are not reflective to me of USFSA skating [/quote:31a3753aa6]

I agree it doesn't reflect the type of program the USFSA promotes, however it is a problem in many rinks throughout the country. Anytime you have "people" involved, you have a high potentiality for problems and conflicts. Of the four "club" rinks I skate at, all are constantly dealing with club conflicts of one sort or another.

AUSSIE WILLY, it sounds like working through your main organization might be your only choice. I agree that boycotting the Championships (particularly if you've already paid) might be doing the other rink a favor. That's going to be a judgement call on your part. If it will help the main organization take notice, then the boycott could be good.

Aussie Willy
07-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Anital - thanks for your support and of course it is ridiculous. ISV basically have wiped their hands of the issue, saying they are just a technical committee. However now all the skaters are writing letters about the way this rink and coach have behaved. I have also sent my letter to ISA and encouraging others to do the same to make them aware of the issue. Their next meeting will be in August and we can't wait to see what their reaction will be when most of the skating community have written to them. It will be extremely funny. I will try and forward on a copy of the letters to you privately.

Artistic Skaters
07-16-2002, 08:52 PM
[quote:c686ab1b5e="garyc254"]Sorry, my fingers didn't convey my thoughts well. When I spoke of the quad, I was speaking as an individual skater, not a synchro team person. The teams I was referring to were the national/international figure skating teams.[/quote:c686ab1b5e]
They would have to test up too, even if they all have quads & are the best skaters since sliced bread. That's how the game is played.

It's a fallacy that clubs or the federation are breaking the bank with the test sessions & that's why they want them. Most clubs only break even & many times the sessions must even be subsidized by other club funds. Implying that they do it to fill the coffers is inaccurate. Saying members worry about the high costs of tests is a valid concern & true, but so do the majority of clubs & that's not what was implied on the previous page.

Artistic Skaters
07-16-2002, 09:00 PM
[quote:2cbaae9a76="Aussie Willy"]However now all the skaters are writing letters about the way this rink and coach have behaved. I have also sent my letter to ISA and encouraging others to do the same to make them aware of the issue.[/quote:2cbaae9a76]
Good luck with your complaint!

Aussie Willy
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
BTW - if anyone is interested in copies of the letters written by one of the mothers which explains how this rink and coach behaved, PM with your email address and I can send you the documents. They are in Word format but I can put them in any other format you like.

I have no hesitation in saying that I want this rink's name to be mud in the Australian skating community.

Lee
07-16-2002, 09:46 PM
[quote:be3c4c5936="Aussie Willy"]I have no hesitation in saying that I want this rink's name to be mud in the Australian skating community.[/quote:be3c4c5936]

What would be better, though, is if you could instigate a solution to the problem so that ALL skaters in your area have access to BOTH rinks when necessary, within reason.

Good luck!

Aussie Willy
07-17-2002, 01:43 AM
I understand what you are saying Lee and thanks for your support.

However we know what the solution is and the nasty rink could have avoided all the unpleasantness by just being nice and welcoming to all skaters, no matter which rink they skated at. It is not such a difficult thing to do and then we would not feel the need to write letters to our representative body complaining about they way the behaved. In the process of being nice they might have earnt some good PR along the way.

garyc254
07-17-2002, 09:13 AM
[quote:f0d306dde7="Artistic Skaters"] They would have to test up too, even if they all have quads & are the best skaters since sliced bread. That's how the game is played.[/quote:f0d306dde7]

Not a game I prefer to play. Expensive with the possibility of human (judges) errors.

I'm thinking of a local 14 year old boy that quit testing because his family couldn't afford the cost.

[quote:f0d306dde7="Artistic Skaters"]It's a fallacy that clubs or the federation are breaking the bank with the test sessions & that's why they want them. Most clubs only break even & many times the sessions must even be subsidized by other club funds. Implying that they do it to fill the coffers is inaccurate. Saying members worry about the high costs of tests is a valid concern & true, but so do the majority of clubs & that's not what was implied on the previous page.[/quote:f0d306dde7]

If I conveyed that the clubs, etc were getting rich from running tests, I'm sorry. I know it's far from the truth. I'm just saying that it is horribly expensive. Too expensive for some, particularly with the judging irregularities that occur.

That's a whole other thread that I won't get into, but suffice it to say that there are far too many judging irregularities.