View Full Version : An odd place to discuss figure skating...

Schmeck
06-27-2002, 04:12 PM
There I am, sitting at Mieneke Discount Brakes and Mufflers, and the owner starts making small talk with me, about what activities the kids are into, and I mention that we all skate. Turns out that not only do his sons both play hockey (eldest one just got picked in the second round of the NHL draft! :D) but he's friends with Collette Irving's father...

So the news (probably very old news at that) is that she's coaching at the Skating Club of Boston, not competing, but we knew this already, right? Anyways, it was just amazing to me when he said her name - didn't expect to hear it in the waiting area of Mieneke, that's for sure!

Schmeck

A.H.Black
06-27-2002, 05:11 PM
Thanks Schmeck. Life is strange sometimes.

I'm slow but I don't remember what Collette is not competing. Do we know?

Trillian
06-27-2002, 06:44 PM
[quote:da67821e5b="A.H.Black"]I'm slow but I don't remember what Collette is not competing. Do we know?[/quote:da67821e5b]

You mean "why"? :) I think the official reason given was that she wanted to concentrate on her education. Judging by her age, I'm guessing she's finished her junior year of high school. I also seem to remember hearing that she was struggling with injuries right about the time she quit, so I'd imagine that was a factor in the decision.

Thanks for the info, btw - it is funny that it came up in that context!

A.H.Black
06-27-2002, 10:58 PM
Thanks Trillian. I did mean why.

Katja73
06-29-2002, 12:07 AM
That happened to me once. LOL I was in a jewerly store in my hometown buying a gold skate charm for a necklace. The jeweler asked me if I like skating (well, duh LOL) and I said yes, and that I was very involved with it. He says, "Maybe you've heard of my cousin, she's a champion." I asked who she was and he says, "Susie Wynne".
Small world. LOL

rack
07-12-2002, 06:54 AM
The kosher deli.

I ran into a friend of a friend there on Wednesday. I remembered that our mutual friend had said he knew the Hughes family, so I asked him if that was true.

He said yes, his brother had gone to Cornell with John Hughes, and I guess the families had become friends. He said they were all great people, and that Mr. Hughes had pretty much put his law practice on hold, so he could deal with all of Sarah's business since the Olympics.

And he (the foaf) seemed so startled by my question he asked me if I knew the Hugheses also- as though he didn't get that Sarah was so famous I would have heard of her anyway. I said no, I was just a big fan.

And to think I almost went to IHOP!