View Full Version : Is it wrong of Naomi to break up L/T?

Lark
07-09-2003, 09:38 PM
I know she has every right to dissolve a partnership if she wishes to move on, but does anyone else think she *OWES* Peter a couple more years since Peter did become an American citizen basically for the right to skate with her?
I think she should give it another year and go for broke. She owes Peter that. IMO.

??!!?
07-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Who knows what exactly the situation is like, other than those directly involved. Is it for certain that Naomi just wants to move on?

Sometimes work ethics become incompatible and training is then not worthwhile. It's most important to be realistic at this point. If one's heart isn't in it, then competing at this elite level wouldn't be worthwhile either. It would show through in Naomi's performance and be evident.

If she doesn't want to skate anymore, then she shouldn't. But, I hope someone as talented as Peter is, is able to find another partner and really be successful. Best of luck to him.

sonora
07-09-2003, 10:11 PM
1) It's time to see some new teams

2) Peter could do better

(gets ready to duck)

Orable
07-09-2003, 10:13 PM
LOL! needless to say, ITA

[Orable grins and ducks right down with you]

Originally posted by sonora

2) Peter could do better

(gets ready to duck)

TreSk8sAZ
07-09-2003, 10:19 PM
There are many issues to them breaking up, and if that's what they think would benefit them the best, then good for them. I don't believe that anyone can "owe" anyone else in a situation like this. It would be unfair to both of them if they would continue to skate when one or both of them do not wish to. Skating out of obligation would bring their performance down ridiculously. They are both brilliant skaters and great people, and as to their future plans, I wish them the best.

adrianchew
07-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Moved to where it belongs.

??!!?
07-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by sonora

2) Peter could do better

(gets ready to duck)

That's not really fair or nice to say about Naomi. Negativity is really ugly. I think they were a great dance team. But, if this is as far as they get together, then they have accomplished a great amount. And of course, Peter can continue should he want to....and continue to succeed.

Smiley0084
07-09-2003, 11:04 PM
I believe I said this on another thread...Naomi has a good amount of talent, but she never believed in herself enough to let it flourish. Peter is a workaholic, Naomi worked hard, but struggled to balance a "normal life" and a skating life, whereas with Peter skating IS life. In a way I kind of felt a little like Lark, Peter supported her in the begining, he became a citizen to skate with her ect. But like others have said it would show in their performance if her heart wasn't in it, so what's the point? I understand if she's not happy anymore. But man, Peter must be frustrated. I don't believe we will see a talent like his in US ice dance for some time to come.As far as "we need to see new teams" lol a lot of people have had the same mentaility of Michelle, Irina, B&K, Todd, and Maria and I'm glad they didn't listen to what anyone else said. They just keep doing what they love. L/T have world meadalist potential, too bad they may never reach that potential. I hate when skaters don't come close to their potential, NNN, Oksana, Angela N. come to mind. Presentation wise, they are the best the US has ever seen IMO.

butterfly
07-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Naomi has been half of what made that team a success and she owes nothing to Peter. She has skated with physical pain and emotional pain to get to this point. Peter is old even for dance in the amateur world of skating. Is she wrong????? I don't think so. It would be wrong for her not to follow her heart. This is what ice dance is all about; pain, risk and disappointment. Peter is handsome and famous and was fortunate enough to be National Champion and a world competitor. In ice dance that is enormous. So please people don't make judgments on Naomi, you have not skated in her skates.

Orable
07-10-2003, 02:14 AM
I guess I should clarify since I don't post a lot on this board. I liked L/T a LOT. I am actually sad to hear the rumors (since nothing's been confirmed) about their split. They are my second-favorite NA dance team (D/L being the first! :D)

However, saying all that...I honestly believe they are not exactly balanced in terms of abilities and attitudes towards dance. Peter has excellent technique, beautiful line, and a work-a-holic approach to skating. It appears that Naomi tries to balance skating with teh rest of her life (btw, I presonally think that is the healthier way to go!)...but imo her ice dance skills are not balanced with Peter's. They just are not to me, and I can't apologize for feeling that way, nor do I think it's unfar to Naomi. She is truly a lovely skater--they are very enjoyable to watch, have beautiful programs, are very 'dancy' and have wonderful edges--and clearly two people make a team, not just one. But it's obvious to me that Peter is the more talented partner. Maybe it's his genes--his grampa was an ice dance champ iirc--maybe it's the Soviet approach to skating. I dunno.

What I don't think is fair to Naomi is the assumption that she is the one who initiated the alleged split. Maybe Lark knows sth the rest of us don't, but I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that it is Naomi who is behind the split.

JMO and sorry that I offended earlier,
Orable

PAskate
07-10-2003, 05:32 AM
When you have a partnership, it has to be built on trust. You trust your partner to do the right thing. If her heart says that she doesn't want to continue in the eligible ranks, it is totally within her rights to tell Peter such.

Many skating partnerships break up for a variety of reasons. If these relationships aren't working, they shouldn't continue. As fans, we miss the former teams, but these are real people who have every right to do what is best for themselves. We're not the ones that have to put all that work and dedication into creating the artistry that we see on the ice.

gandalf
07-10-2003, 07:21 AM
I don't think Naomi owes it to Peter to stick around. And count me among those who think Peter could find partner with a talent more equal to his own.

Impromptu
07-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Lark
I know she has every right to dissolve a partnership if she wishes to move on, but does anyone else think she *OWES* Peter a couple more years since Peter did become an American citizen basically for the right to skate with her?
I think she should give it another year and go for broke. She owes Peter that. IMO.

I have no idea if they have called it quits or not...

However, Peter actually competed in US Nationals in 1996 (I think that was the year, I'll have to check my tape) with Sophia Eliazova... their OD (I think it was the OD) was broadcast, and iirc the story was that these two Russian skaters had just shown up at Easterns and qualified for Nationals. Anyway, given that Peter was competing in the US before being partnered with Naomi, I don't think you can claim that he became a US citizen for the right to skate with her.

Angel01673
07-10-2003, 10:14 AM
I'm just wondering where are these abundance of female partners that Peter could do so much better with? It's not like he can go and just pick them off a tree. Do you know how extermley rare it is to find an exact perfect match? There is more to finding the right partner than tech. ability, there are so many things that make the complete package. In dance you have to have someone that matches your line, body type, style and carriage. I honestly think that in terms of avalibility Naomi is the best he's going to find. Remember Peter is 6'2" so I'm sure it was a struggle for him to find a partner that match his leg line. I honestly don't think there is anyone out there that would be a perfect match for Peter in terms of technical ability (IMO that's how good he is) so he might as well get someone who matches stylistically. I also wanted to point out that I don't think they are anymore unbalanced than some of the other top ten teams like G&G, L&A, C&S, or N&K.

terisalyn
07-10-2003, 10:30 AM
I haven't posted an opinion on this yet, but here goes FWIW:

I don't know about "owing anybody" but I do think the decision is incredibly bad timing. 1) They have the opportunity to win an unprecedented 6th US Championship. And 2) A lot of the top international teams have left the eligible ranks, so they have the opportunity to move up in the international rankings too.

I also don't know whose decision it is or was or will be, LOL, but IF Naomi doesn't want to compete anymore, I think she will regret it. If she sticks it out and gives it her all through 2006, college or anything else she may be considering will still be available to her after 2006. But if she quits skating altogether OR if L&T go pro, she'll never be able to return to eligible skating, or at least nowhere near the same level as she's at now. And I think she would regret it. If it were me, I know I'd be thinking, "What if...." for the rest of my life!

IceDanceSk8er
07-10-2003, 11:05 AM
I may be all wet about this, but do you think there is a possibly that Naomi made a decision that was the best one for her? Why does Naomi have to continue doing something that she no longer wants to do? Maybe someone can refresh my memory, but I remember hearing something back in high school called freedom of choice. Maybe winning a 6th national title is more important to the fans than it is to her.

Just wish her and Peter the best of luck with their future endeavors.

P.S. The comment about Naomi OWING Peter another year is completely outrageous.

butterfly
07-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by IceDanceSk8er
I may be all wet about this, but do you think there is a possibly that Naomi made a decision that was the best one for her? Why does Naomi have to continue doing something that she no longer wants to do? Maybe someone can refresh my memory, but I remember hearing something back in high school called freedom of choice. Maybe winning a 6th national title is more important to the fans than it is to her.

Just wish her and Peter the best of luck with their future endeavors.

P.S. The comment about Naomi OWING Peter another year is completely outrageous. Well said...I couldn't agree with you more.

Alexeiskate
07-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by terisalyn
And I think she would regret it. If it were me, I know I'd be thinking, "What if...." for the rest of my life!

But you're not Naomi, and you can't project you're feeling into what she's feeling. I think most fan wishes that they can skate at an elite level and think that if they can have that kind of life then they'll be happy, but they don't really know what an elite level athelete life is really like. I bet that most athletes have some sort of regret or sadness when they leave their sport but they also know that it's time to move on. Maybe Naomi realizes that she can have a full life outside of competitive skating, and perhaps she has a good enough head on her shoulder so that the thought "What if..." will not be considered.

Blue Ridge
07-10-2003, 12:30 PM
I have loved L&Ts dancing and I am still very disappointed that they will no longer compete.

But a few things, first, does anyone really know the circumstances of their deciding not to compete and that it wasn't a mutual decision? And even if it was Naomi's choice, given that with her as his partner Peter won 5 U.S. National dance titles, I don't think Naomi is cheating him by giving up to soon. L&T have had great success even if it did not translate into World or Olympic medals. If Naomi is ready to move on, then she couldn't give anymore to the partnership anyway and it is the right decision.

I have to agree with Angel01673 that Naomi has been a very good partner for Peter and it is highly unlikely he could find someone as good let alone better. Quite honestly, I think that Peter has been overrated by many of L&Ts fans. Naomi and Peter together made L&T what they have been and I'm not at all convinced that Peter would have been as successful with another partner.

Let's be honest here. I am a fan of L&T and not particularly a fan of B&A, but B&A passed L&T at Worlds this year and it was becoming very unlikely that L&T would maintain their rank as the top U.S. ice dance team. Really, it is not a bad time at all for L&T to move on from eligible competition. But I really hope they will continue to skate together professionally in exhibitions and tours because they are a wonderful team to see skate.

JKlink
07-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Why would anyone including Peter want a partner who didn't want to compete anymore? It's interesting that some people are upset because Naomi is leaving Peter, but then again, they would be happy if Peter found a new partner and left Naomi.

IrishDancer
07-10-2003, 02:16 PM
So it's true then? They've split???

Rachel
07-10-2003, 02:50 PM

Why another year? Why not two or five or ten? Just exactly how much does Naomi owe Peter and at what point will this debt be paid?

If you are going to look at it that way, why not look at what Peter owes Naomi? Without Naomi, there would be no L&T; there wouldn't be five national titles and tours with COI. Peter has done very well for himself in the US; would that have happened without Naomi? He has more money and opportunities now than he ever had before--because he skated with Naomi. Doesn't he owe it to her to let her go if she feels that's what she needs to do?

Mayra
07-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Angel01673
I'm just wondering where are these abundance of female partners that Peter could do so much better with?.

Thats what I'm talking about. All I keep on reading is, Peter could do better, but really with who? American wise, is there really anyone out there to even come close to matching Peter's skills or body type?

At this point, IMO nobody owes anyone anything. Unless of course they borrowed money from each other, but thats a whole other ball game. ;)

Debbie S
07-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Excuse me, but I don't see how Naomi "owes" Peter anything. Yes, he became an American citizen so they could skate in the Olys, but that benefited Peter just as much as Naomi. After all, here's a guy who moved to America to have a better career in ice dance than in his native Russia. It's not like there's a shortage of available female dance partners in Russia. He left, most likely, so that he could have a better chance of going to Worlds and Olys b/c 1) the overall talent level in U.S. dance isn't that deep compared to Russia, and 2) there are more women in America interested in dance than there are men. His move and citizenship helped both of them become household names and earn a spot on COI, which earned them a handsome sum of money, I imagine. Both have gotten out of the partnership what they put in. I don't see where either owes the other anything.

I do hope, though, that they continue to skate together in shows and tours. I can't imagine that the money Tom Collins is giving them, given their credentials, is something they can easily pass up.

Calgary88
07-10-2003, 03:50 PM
What personal pain has Naomi been through? I'm aware of the physical pain but not personal pain. Can anyone elaborate?

PlatniumAngel
07-10-2003, 05:01 PM
If Peter does continue to skate amatuer without Naomi, who are some possible girl's for him in the USA? Personally I think they have accomplished so much together, they should just both turn professional and continue skating together in shows. It's up to Peter and Naomi to make that decision...it would be cool to see him skating and competing with a new partner though! :)

terisalyn
07-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Alexeiskate
But you're not Naomi, and you can't project you're feeling into what she's feeling. I think most fan wishes that they can skate at an elite level and think that if they can have that kind of life then they'll be happy, but they don't really know what an elite level athelete life is really like.

No, I am not Naomi, and no, I don't wish I could skate at the elite level, or be any kind of celebrity, for that matter. But there is such a thing as empathy, and I do know a little about regrets in life, and about closing doors that can't be reopened. And my post was just my own opinion, which should go without saying on a message board.

SkateGuard
07-10-2003, 07:09 PM
First, I do not believe that Peter has decided to get a new partner or stay with Naomi. Second, I believe all Naomi has decided is to stop competing on the eligible level...

Having said that, Naomi is doing what she needs to do. L/T's lack of improvement over the last couple of years (mainly due to injuries) was plainly obvious, especially over the past year. I think the fact they debuted at 10th in the world in '99 made them believe they could medal at worlds at some point; unfortunately, they never did move up. They have lost ground every year at Worlds since 2000 (check the results!), for whatever reason. It's hard to get up and do your job on a day-to-day basis when you're as discouraged as they have looked the past couple of years, and I'll bet being passed by B/A didn't help matters.

If Naomi's heart is no longer in competing, why should she? For Peter? Does he want to train with someone who doesn't really want to be there?

I know that there are a lot of college-educated people on this board, so think of it this way...a lot of kids (including myself) don't go on to grad school after their bachelor's degree. My main reason: I was exhausted. I couldn't eat, sleep, and breathe academia anymore. I love learning, but not at the Ph.D. pace. Whenever I hear an elite skater has quit skating, I wonder if s/he is feeling the same way....

Erin

Orable
07-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S
It's not like there's a shortage of available female dance partners in Russia. He left, most likely, so that he could have a better chance of going to Worlds and Olys b/c 1) the overall talent level in U.S. dance isn't that deep compared to Russia, and 2) there are more women in America interested in dance than there are men. His move and

I'm not sure exactly, but didn't Peter first compete with his (Russian) now ex-wife when they moved to America?

Angel01673
07-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Well, obviously Peter believed they could continue, and I think they could, with hard work and determination they could win their 6th national title. But I guess Naomi either doesn't think it's possible, doesn't want to put in the extra work, or has grown weary of eligible skating. I think it's the latter. She has always said she wanted to become a vet. and that she loves animals. Maybe she would like to pursue this dream instead of skating.

Trillian
07-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Orable
I'm not sure exactly, but didn't Peter first compete with his (Russian) now ex-wife when they moved to America?

Nope. Peter's wife was Natalia Annenko, the well-known Russian dancer who skated with Genrikh Sretenski for many years. (If Sretenski's name rings a bell, it's probably because he's coached a number of successful senior teams, mostly competing for the U.S., in recent years.) A&S medaled at Europeans every year from 1986-1989 and finished as high as fourth at worlds. I don't know exactly what ended their eligible career, but they probably turned pro sometime around 1989 or 1990--they medaled at the 1989 Europeans but didn't go to worlds that year (or any year afterward). I always liked their skating, but it was a pretty crowded time in Russian dance. A&S went on to skate with Stars On Ice for two or three years, up until 1994-95, and I think they won at least one World Pro title back when that event (somewhat) mattered. Judging from all that I'd guess Natalia is at least 3-5 years older than Peter, but I don't know her age. FWIW, they were always one of my favorite dance teams--I recall liking Belbin & Agosto when they first appeared on the scene because Tanith reminded me of Natalia.

JDC1
07-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Who knows who Peter might hook-up with, if he's in earnest he'll find someone. It's Naomi's choice she doesn't owe him anything. And I agree with many others...he was much better than she was just like Babs & Maurizio...can Babs make a comeback?

I have no idea if their styles would mesh and visually I don't think they'd look good but who knows?

Smiley0084
07-11-2003, 11:24 AM
As much as I absolutely adore Peter, in defense of Naomi, almost everytime L&T made a mistakes it was usually Peter, who had a bad habit of falling in the past. In their early days the difference between the two was quite obvious, because she was a junior skater being brought up to a much higher level of skating with a much more skilled partner than her former, John Lee. I still say that Peter is the stronger partner, but Naomi is no slouch either. I think the are a good enough match, and IMO a good partner can only take you so far. I think that the whole "Peter could do SO much better" line has become a common throw away phrase that people like to parrot, often with nothing to back it up.

JDC1
07-11-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm not parroting ANYONE, I've watched them skate a number of times and he IS better than she is even to a non-expert. It's obvious to me in his flow of movement and speed, she's simply not as good. She's by no means "horrible" but he is better and it's obvious.

butterfly
07-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
I'm not parroting ANYONE, I've watched them skate a number of times and he IS better than she is even to a non-expert. It's obvious to me in his flow of movement and speed, she's simply not as good. She's by no means "horrible" but he is better and it's obvious. Well, then what Peter should do is go find someone as wonderful as he is and let Naomi get on with her life. She is probably as tired as I am of listening to people say she is not good enough for him.

Smiley0084
07-11-2003, 12:49 PM
It seems to me that you were parroting if you were making an analogy to FP&M. Another team where one of the members has been underrated. What is your definition of "better" anyway? Naomi may not be quite as good as Peter, but she is obviously the more consistant of the two, and no I don't think it's obvious that Peter is "better". If you watch a tape of their skating from 1998 and watch a tape from 2002 their is a signifcant difference, and the workload is fairly balanced.

Blue Ridge
07-11-2003, 01:47 PM
ITA, Smiley0084! The thing is that L&T together made a themselves a great team. I think that Mauricio brought out the best in Barbara, and Peter shone because he was in a partnership with Naomi. There might well not have been any other skater who could have made Peter look as good.

??!!?
07-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Slips and mistakes in a team performance aren't necessarily the fault of the person who ultimately makes the noticeable blunder. So, unless one understands the dynamics of the moves that are being performed, its difficult to assess what exactly happened.

Peter and Naomi are both strong skaters, and they competed together fairly successfully for many years. I think both skaters have their own strengths they offered to the team. Also, I wouldn't compare L&T to FP&M. I would say FP&M were very clearly mismatched to the point of it being unfortunate at times, desipte their success. This was not the case with L&T.

Smiley0084
07-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Blue Ridge
ITA, Smiley0084! The thing is that L&T together made a themselves a great team. I think that Mauricio brought out the best in Barbara, and Peter shone because he was in a partnership with Naomi. There might well not have been any other skater who could have made Peter look as good.

lol blueridge, I think Peter would look good just standing in the middle of the ice for 4 minutes doing nothing but posing :mrgreen: But interms of a partnership ITA.

Anjelica
07-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Butterfly:lol:

BittyBug
07-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Smiley0084
I don't believe we will see a talent like his in US ice dance for some time to come.

Two words: Justin Pekarek. Very different style, but the man is phenomenal.

I will miss L&T tremendously - I thought they were a terrific and well-matched team. I wish them both well in whatever they pursue.

Smiley0084
07-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by BittyBug
Two words: Justin Pekarek. Very different style, but the man is phenomenal.

I will miss L&T tremendously - I thought they were a terrific and well-matched team. I wish them both well in whatever they pursue.

You're right! I forgot about Justin! At this point I think it's too early to say whether or not he has the amount of talent Peter has, I don't think he is quite up there with Peter in expession and Presentation, but he's young and he will proably develop that as he gets older. He's excellent technically, and I 'm really interested on seeing how far he and Hillary will go.

Angel01673
07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
It seems to me that you were parroting if you were making an analogy to FP&M. Another team where one of the members has been underrated.

To me the inbclance between FP&M is plain as day. And if anything they were overrated. The gap between them isn't even comparable to L&T.

Tapper
07-11-2003, 06:21 PM
I know that there are a lot of college-educated people on this board, so think of it this way...a lot of kids (including myself) don't go on to grad school after their bachelor's degree. My main reason: I was exhausted. I couldn't eat, sleep, and breathe academia anymore. I love learning, but not at the Ph.D. pace. Whenever I hear an elite skater has quit skating, I wonder if s/he is feeling the same way....

Erin

Erin, I think you hit on something important here. Sometimes, I think, we are just simply "done" with what we have spent our lives doing - we loved it, we still love what we did, but there comes a time (as the old cliche goes) when it's simply time to move forward into something else. And I think it takes a certain amount of courage to make those kinds of moves - to listen to our inner voice and to go against the expectations others hold for us. And I don't think we need to explain to anyone the why of it. Whatever Naomi's reasons might be for leaving, I applaud her courage to make such a decision.

IceDanceSk8er
07-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Would you be this critical of Naomi's skating and her achievements if she was still skating with Peter? How quickly people can turn on someone. The last time I checked, it took TWO talented ice dancers to win a national title. I never heard of one winning the title for a team. The judges aren't that forgiving.

Matryeshka
07-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by IceDanceSk8er
Would you be this critical of Naomi's skating and her achievements if she was still skating with Peter?

Errr...how long have you been on internet boards? Everytime L/T were/are mentioned, there are always quite a few posters who were critical of Naomi. This is by no means a new phenomenon.

As for bashing--I've yet to see anyone truly bash her. Posters have been critical, but none of it has been unfounded.

Getting back to the topic at hand--Lang should do what she needs to do. Having your partner quit/retire/leave is the risk you take when you skate pairs or dance. As some other posters mentioned, I think the "owed" thing is irrelevant--Peter got as much from the relationship as she did.

From a whiny fan perspective however I think after this year's Worlds, we could have had THREE entries going into the 2005 Worlds--which could realistically meant THREE going to the Olys. W/o L/T, however, I think after this year's Worlds, the US will only get two entries for the 2005 Worlds and two for the Olys--and at the Olys, the US won't have a good showing, as B/A probably won't be able to go, and we'll have to send Gregory and Petukhov as our highest ranked team. (gag me)
And I liked them. I don't necessarily think they should have placed any higher internationally, but I enjoyed all of their programs.

I believe I've read on the USFSA board that Lang did not want to compete b/c she knew she couldn't medal at the Olys. She's probably right, and even at Worlds after the Olys making it even to fourth would be a stretch. If you feel you aren't going to even have a chance at winning, I imagine it takes all the fun out of competing.

sk8ingMom
07-12-2003, 01:33 AM
In my humble opinion, I think that in this sport that each skater owes it to him or herself to do what they feel in their heart is best for themselves and their partner. (Dance & Pairs) With the dedication and time that is involved at their level, they must be committed 100% to the sport and each other. If one of them is less than that it will definitely show in the skating and even worse it could be dangerous to their lives. When one is not 100% committed then they are not focused 100% either. That is when disaster may strike. Then there is the money that the parents and if lucky the USFSA will fund. The sport is lovely and expensive, as we all know. If Naomi is not happy for whatever reason then she the only thing she "owes" to her partner is the truth, so they may both move on with their lives and sport.

"IF you think you are a better than someone then you are not as good as they are."

Blue Ridge
07-12-2003, 09:22 AM
lol blueridge, I think Peter would look good just standing in the middle of the ice for 4 minutes doing nothing but posing :mrgreen: But interms of a partnership ITA.

This is why I think a lot of their fans overrate Peter as an ice dancer. :P

??!!?
07-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Blue Ridge
This is why I think a lot of their fans overrate Peter as an ice dancer. :P

I disagree

PlatniumAngel
07-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Yes, Peter is hot. But he's very good too. lol :D

Smiley0084
07-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by PlatniumAngel
Yes, Peter is hot. But he's very good too. lol :D

Yeah! Don't hate him cuz he's beautiful! ;)

Blue Ridge
07-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Of course, Peter is very good. So is Naomi. That is why they are a great team, together.

Personally, I think the main thing that is unbalanced about this team is the amount of gushing over Peter vs. the lack of it over Naomi. Although, I try to do my part to even that out a bit. :P

DancinDiva
07-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Matryeshka
send Gregory and Petukhov as our highest ranked team. (gag me)

Aw, you don't like G&P? I only saw them at US Nats this year, but I liked them.

BittyBug
07-14-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Matryeshka
W/o L/T, however, I think after this year's Worlds, the US will only get two entries for the 2005 Worlds and two for the Olys--and at the Olys, the US won't have a good showing, as B/A probably won't be able to go, and we'll have to send Gregory and Petukhov as our highest ranked team. (gag me)

I realize that the speed (or lack thereof) at which dance teams advance has historically been glacial at best, but the OLYs are 3 seasons away. A lot could happen between now and then. We have several very promising younger teams (Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell, Gibbons/Pekarek, Neusser/Forsyth), so I don't think it's by any means a lock that G&P will be our top team for '06.

icedancer2
07-14-2003, 02:39 PM
I realize that the speed (or lack thereof) at which dance teams advance has historically been glacial at best, but the OLYs are 3 seasons away. A lot could happen between now and then. We have several very promising younger teams (Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell, Gibbons/Pekarek, Neusser/Forsyth), so I don't think it's by any means a lock that G&P will be our top team for '06.

I wonder too, about Tanith and Ben -- can she, or is she working on US citizenship or duel citizenship -- is that totally ruled out?

BittyBug
07-15-2003, 12:18 PM
There have been some discussions in the past about Tanith's ability to become a US citizen in time for the 2006 OLYs. The answer would appear to be no, unless she receives a special exemption which is extremely difficult to obtain and an unlikely possibility.

Orable
07-16-2003, 01:22 AM
lol blueridge, I think Peter would look good just standing in the middle of the ice for 4 minutes doing nothing but posing :mrgreen:

you mean like this?

http://www.bahamill.com/2002oly/021502/DSCF1191_PPT.JPG

:lol:

lol, I still don't see it, but to each their own...:D

Smiley0084
07-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Yes! Exactly! ;)

TRAxel
07-18-2003, 10:31 AM
This thread is totally hilarious.... who are we to judge anyone?? LMAO... this is called life... and sh** happens.

:D

SkateGuard
07-18-2003, 06:42 PM
There have been some discussions in the past about Tanith's ability to become a US citizen in time for the 2006 OLYs. The answer would appear to be no, unless she receives a special exemption which is extremely difficult to obtain and an unlikely possibility.

The exemption being an act of Congress...I think if Tanith and Ben land themselves on the World podium in 2004 or 2005, the USFSA may start lobbying on B/A's behalf. Now that L/T appear to be out of the picture, the citizenship run begins!

I know I'll be watching C-SPAN in 2005!

Erin
(who knows there are some extremely talented up and coming teams, but will they be ready for 2006?)

butterfly
07-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by SkateGuard
The exemption being an act of Congress...I think if Tanith and Ben land themselves on the World podium in 2004 or 2005, the USFSA may start lobbying on B/A's behalf. Now that L/T appear to be out of the picture, the citizenship run begins!

I know I'll be watching C-SPAN in 2005!

Erin
(who knows there are some extremely talented up and coming teams, but will they be ready for 2006?) I don't think the Congress is that interested in ice dance. They have more important issues. Besides, Ben and Tanith may not even make it to 2006 the way this sport goes.

AUT
07-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Orable
you mean like this?

http://www.bahamill.com/2002oly/021502/DSCF1191_PPT.JPG

:lol:

lol, I still don't see it, but to each their own...:D

I agree. That isn't a good picture of him . However if you go to the athlete profiles page at www.usfsa.org they have posted a new picture of L/T and maybe you'll be convinced.

SkateGuard
07-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by butterfly
I don't think the Congress is that interested in ice dance. They have more important issues. Besides, Ben and Tanith may not even make it to 2006 the way this sport goes.

Oh, but do you know who Casmir Pulaski is? :)

In Illinois, Casmir Pulaski day is a state holiday. (He's a Polish man who helped the US free themselves from Britain.) Why? The IL congress wanted a spending bill passed, so they tacked on Casmir day so that Polish Chicago Democrats would vote for it.

I'm figuring that _if_ Tanith and Ben have a serious shot at a medal in 2006, the USFSA and the USOC will be lobbying Congress very strongly. (And that "if" is huge considering our track record with talented young teams!) We'll see how it goes....

Erin

butterfly
07-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by SkateGuard
Oh, but do you know who Casmir Pulaski is? :)

In Illinois, Casmir Pulaski day is a state holiday. (He's a Polish man who helped the US free themselves from Britain.) Why? The IL congress wanted a spending bill passed, so they tacked on Casmir day so that Polish Chicago Democrats would vote for it.

I'm figuring that _if_ Tanith and Ben have a serious shot at a medal in 2006, the USFSA and the USOC will be lobbying Congress very strongly. (And that "if" is huge considering our track record with talented young teams!) We'll see how it goes....

Erin dream on

??!!?
07-20-2003, 11:23 AM
I'm sad to see a thread about L/T turn in to a thread about B/A. The stuff about B/A belongs in a new thread if anyone wants to further the discussion.

Orable
07-20-2003, 02:06 PM
me too. I really dislike when that happens...though I might be one of the few fans who likes L/T and B/A EQUALLY!

Originally posted by ??!!?
I'm sad to see a thread about L/T turn in to a thread about B/A. The stuff about B/A belongs in a new thread if anyone wants to further the discussion.

Soooo, to bring it back on topic, YOWZA! AUT, Peter looks fiiiiiiine there! his eyes are friggin glowing

:lol: :D :lol: :D

uh, I said I'd bring it back on topic--not that my post was going to be an philosophical nad intellectual endeavor to analyze which partner owes what to the other and why :P

sk8ergurl
07-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Even if Belbin and Agusto can't do OLY's- Loren Galler-Rabinowitz and David Mitchell look phenomenal. They train very very hard, and are both amazing dancers individually.

Smiley0084
07-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Check out these pics of Peter!

http://www.toeloopy.com/images/events2002-2003/Worlds/dance/LT03w0112.jpg

http://www.toeloopy.com/images/events2002-2003/Worlds/dance/LT03w0111.jpg

http://www.toeloopy.com/images/events2002-2003/Worlds/dance/LT03w2228.jpg

http://www.toeloopy.com/images/events2002-2003/Worlds/dance/LT03w0413.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

??!!?
07-20-2003, 03:13 PM
:twisted:

Originally posted by sk8ergurl
Even if Belbin and Agusto can't do OLY's- Loren Galler-Rabinowitz and David Mitchell look phenomenal. They train very very hard, and are both amazing dancers individually.

:twisted:

Orable
07-20-2003, 03:24 PM
yeah I'm with ??!!? on this one! :twisted: galore!

Seeing how lots of ppl want to talk about/have opinions on B/A citizenship issues and eligibility status, can you please start a new thread? this was supposed to be a thread about L/T breaking up, what do partners owe each other (indeed, if anything at all) and if they really did break up, who could PT skate with...before Tornio Olys. I like B/A as much as anyone, but this thread's supposed to be about L/T...now I sound like Ms. Trunchbull :twisted: so...I'll go back to drooling! ---

see Smiley...Peter just doesn't do it for me! I was so surprised that he looked good in that USFSA pic! lol...but in those links you posted, i think he looks the best in the last link :)

Orable

Smiley0084
07-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Well, maybe it's the blond hair you don't like, but I think he looks hot as a blond! IMO he's like one of the hottest guys ever, and he's a good dresser too. I better start working on my brackets if I'm going to replace Naomi!

icedancer2
07-20-2003, 06:40 PM
I better start working on my brackets if I'm going to replace Naomi!

This is great!! I was kind of thinking the same thing -- wondering if Peter might be looking for someone older and more mature, etc. (and who already is a veterinarian...) for his new partner.

Middle-aged skating fantasies...:yum:

blondeangl
07-21-2003, 02:39 PM
I think she should give it another year and go for broke. She owes Peter that. IMO. Ok I dont feel like reading this entire thread when it seems like most of it isnt even on the main topic so im just going to post my opinion to the main question.

I do feel that it is wrong of Naomi to break up the pair right now. I mean they make a great pair and they have spent so much time as a pair together. Since Peter did become an American citizen to skate with her (which I here is a long hard process) i think Naomi does OWE him to skate with him at least one year longer or more.

Now with that said let me just say that I may feel this way because they are my fav. American dance team and I really like them! I wish they wouldnt dissolve the partnership its not fair to Peter IMO.

SkateGuard
07-21-2003, 08:56 PM

Oops, sorry...I just hit "reply" instinctively.

Back to the main thread...as I have posted before, maybe Naomi is _tired_ of skating, ballet, off-ice, diet, sleep schedules, etc. that is required of an elite athlete. If that's the case, I believe it's better for her to split with Peter than to continue just because some fans want to see them on a World or Oly podium.

Personally, I think it's out of respect of Peter to say that she doesn't have the energy to train for another Worlds so that he has plenty of time to find a new partner if he so chooses.

Erin
(who understands burnout--remember guys, she's been training at this intensity for over 10 years!)

rudi
07-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Skateguard,
I understand burnout too and totally agree with you :)

speedy
07-24-2003, 02:00 PM
I would think this nagging achilles injury she's had for so long now probably played a part in it too...it's the main reason they weren't able to skate in the GP (again) and skate in top form last year. Between shin splints, kidney stones, food poisonings and other assorted injuries they've had, it's a wonder they even made it this far. They seemed to peak around 2000 and have been unable to skate in top health since then. I like L&T a lot but I can see how Naomi might feel their best days are behind them or is just sick of the whole world of ice dance...I mean come on, how much of the crap that's happened to them, not to mention the general disarray and laughability of the state of dance (see 2002 Olys, Worlds and Mr. T scandal), could the normal person put up with? I do wish they would go pro for a few years though, but that doesn't seem to be in their plans.

By the way, enough of this Peter stuff, somebody put up some pics of Naomi...she's hot herself!! ;)

Smiley0084
07-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by speedy

By the way, enough of this Peter stuff, somebody put up some pics of Naomi...she's hot herself!! ;)

More Petah!!!
http://www.usfsa.org/worlds03/pics21.htm
(scroll down to the 4th pic) :mrgreen:

speedy
07-29-2003, 09:31 AM
OK I'll do it myself...yowsa...

http://figureskatersonline.com/lang-tchernyshev/infocus_personal_00a.html