View Full Version : Who was young skater number one?

FSWer
06-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Say,does anyone know who the very first young skater known to the Skating world equivalent to Sasha and Sarah was?

jp1andOnly
06-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Michelle Kwan ;)

what?meworry?
06-21-2003, 10:15 PM
i remember the story that she went ahead and tested senior fs against the advise of her coach, frank carroll (while he was on vacation?).

blades
06-21-2003, 10:17 PM
8-)

if you mean the first "superstar"...perhaps for the ladies...sonja henie....

for the men...i'd say dick button...

for pairs...the protopopovs...

for dance...torvill and dean...

there were many "greats" preceeding these people...but each of the above were the first to recieve international "superstar" status in their area of skating...

mikey
06-22-2003, 02:02 AM
You could also make an argument for Tiffany Chin- throwing around triple axels all over in practice and warmups... http://www.kan.org/tiffany/

But I'd go with Michelle Kwan too.

Dolly
06-22-2003, 06:24 AM
Tara:)

A.H.Black
06-22-2003, 09:02 AM
It would also be very easy to make a case for Elaine Zayak.

I agree with Blades though - Sonje Heine.

DORISPULASKI
06-22-2003, 09:27 AM
The Protopopovs were actually very old to start skating, so old that no coach in Russia would teach them, so they taught themselves (at least at first) according to Toller Cranston's Ice Cream book.

Sonja Henie was at Olympics at 11, so I would say she was the first young skater. Well-she finished last, but still was a national champ.

Men-Dick was 18. Possibly Scott E. Allen who won a bronze at Olympics at 16 I think in 1964.

Pairs-got to be Gordeeva and Grinkov!! (He wasn't that young, but she definitely was.

Dance. Gritschuk and Platov are about as young as it gets, winning Olympics in their first senior year. In the old days you usually had to wait your turn. Another possible Klimova and Ponomarenko who won bronze in 1984 in their first year in seniors. I don't know which was younger, Klimova or Gritschuk.

dpp

Clarice
06-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by what?meworry?
i remember the story that she went ahead and tested senior fs against the advise of her coach, frank carroll (while he was on vacation?).

Y'know, I've heard that story a number of times, too, and have always wondered about it. Every test form I've ever seen requires the coach's signature. So how can a skater possibly test without the coach's knowledge?

leap of faith
06-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Grischuk and Platov were senior well before 1994. They had a bronze and silver from worlds in 1992,1993 and were competing in 1991 at worlds.

Tracey Wainman of Canada was a National Champion at 12 back in the early 80s.

Katia was 14 in 1986 when her and Sergei went to worlds for the first time and won.

For men the youngest world champion is Canadian Don MacPherson in 1963.
But for a young National champion Takeshi Honda was only like 14 or something.

Sparkey
06-22-2003, 02:42 PM
Oksana

BABYSKATES
06-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Clarice
Every test form I've ever seen requires the coach's signature. So how can a skater possibly test without the coach's knowledge?
At least here in LA, you don't always need a coaches signature. Prior to our family moving to this area, we did need a coaches signature to test. My daughter has tested since moving here, but hasn't needed a coaches signature to do it.

dancing_queen
06-22-2003, 04:33 PM
i'd have 2 say tara lipinski since she won the olympics when she was 14

Mayra
06-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Tara was 15 when she won Olympic Gold.

schnood
06-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Oksana Baiul

dancing_queen
06-25-2003, 11:39 PM
im pretty sure Tara was 14:??

Arsenette
06-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by FSWer
Say,does anyone know who the very first young skater known to the Skating world equivalent to Sasha and Sarah was?

Can you rephrase the question?

Is it who was the youngest champion? (that would be Tara)

Is it who was the youngest "superstar:? (that would be Sonia but if you want a recent example you can even place Michelle in this category since had it not been for the Tonya & Nancy thing she would have beaten Peggy Fleming in age in winning Nationals, etc. before Tara beat them both).

Is it who is a skater before Sasha and Sarah that was like them? I haven't the foggiest clue since each is an individual with their own accomplishments (Sarah won Olympics and 1 other event) & (Sasha won GP and medaled in 2 Nationals but off the podium in both Worlds and Olympics)..

Are you basing this out of personality or accomplishment or a little of both?

BABYSKATES
06-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by dancing_queen
im pretty sure Tara was 14:??

Not to bicker but just so you know...Tara Lipinski was born June 10, 1982. (information on the "quick stats" section of her official website) She won gold at the 1998 Olympics so, according to her, she was 15 years 8 months old when she became the youngest woman to win Olympic gold.

dancing_queen
06-26-2003, 09:42 AM
sorry my bad:oops: Tara was 14 when she won worlds

FSWer
06-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Who is the first youngest kid skater since the begining of time?

Ellyn
06-26-2003, 01:01 PM
The first youngest child ever to strap on skates and glide across the ice?

The first youngest ever to attain a certain level of competitive achievement and/or media attention? What level would that be?

What *are* you asking about here?

flippet
06-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Ellyn
The first youngest child ever to strap on skates and glide across the ice?

This is probably what FSWer's asking. He doesn't always understand that some things are lost to history, and really aren't "important," anyway.

Dana, it's not known who the very, very first person was. How far back in history do you want to go? 100 years? 500 years? 6 thousand years??

If you want to know who the youngest skater *that people made a fuss over* was, as others have posted, that was probably Sonja Henie.

Other than that, understand that people in the history of many different cultures around the world have had ways of traveling on ice---no one knows their names, because there are too many names to know. For instance, you'd have to know the names of just about the entire population in the entire history of Holland. That isn't very practical, wouldn't you agree?

cygnus
06-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by flippet
This is probably what FSWer's asking. He doesn't always understand that some things are lost to history, and really aren't "important," anyway.

Dana, it's not known who the very, very first person was. How far back in history do you want to go? 100 years? 500 years? 6 thousand
years??

Other than that, understand that people in the history of many different cultures around the world have had ways of traveling on ice---no one knows their names, because there are too many names to know. For instance, you'd have to know the names of just about the entire population in the entire history of Holland. That isn't very practical, wouldn't you agree?

Well, this site here shows some Viking bone skates, so that goes back over a thousand years. (I had a friend once who re-created them and actually used them a few years ago- they actually do work! ) I wouldn't recommend one try to jump in then though!
http://www.civilization.ca/media/docs/fsvik04e.html

ChicaTica
06-30-2003, 09:09 AM
I would say that it is Peggy Flemming!

--ChicaTica