View Full Version : "Official" Reason For Butyrskaya Withdrawing From

Peter G
06-24-2002, 07:47 PM
I've FINALLY finished watching all my tapes of Worlds, and the commentators spoke about how Maria was disappointed with her draw for the qualifying round. And of course, she was disappointed with her performance.

Was injury the reason given for Maria's withdrawal? If not, was an "official" statement made by Maria, or someone on her behalf as to why she did not finish the competition?

Is it also "official" that she has retired from eligible competition, or is there any possibility we'll see her at 2003 Worlds?

Scott
06-25-2002, 07:40 AM
I think that it is time for Maria to retire. She is getting to be tooold to be able to compete with the younger ladies such as Cohen, Hughes and others from all over the world. I think that she is relizing this and will go professional where her chances are better. If she stays as an amature i can only see her tumbling futher down the rankings, which is not the way to exit.

loveskating
06-25-2002, 08:01 AM
[quote:231fd2c231="Peter G"]Was injury the reason given for Maria's withdrawal? If not, was an "official" statement made by Maria, or someone on her behalf as to why she did not finish the competition?

Is it also "official" that she has retired from eligible competition, or is there any possibility we'll see her at 2003 Worlds?[/quote:231fd2c231]

I suspect it was kind of like in opera...the singer will go on despite a sore throat etc., but then if the voice fails, and they sound awful, they will indeed give it to the "understudy". Its really hard to know, since some fantastic performances have been given by singers with sore throats!! Maria probably thought she could do it over the pain, but she couldn't.

I LOVE Maria, love her lutz and camel spin, but I think she has peaked, and should stop skating as an amateur...its better to go out on a high note, IMHO, and she is slightly past that.

olivia
06-25-2002, 11:35 AM
IIRC, the "official" reason for Maria's withdrawal was exhaustion.

O-