View Full Version : 2006 Worlds Awarded to Canada & Summary of ISU Meeting

MaryS999
06-06-2003, 01:34 PM
The ISU has awarded the 2006 World Championships to Calgary, Alberta.

A summary of the recent ISU meeting in Spain can be found at www.isu.org.

SkateFan2

fsfan
06-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Although I'm glad to see the '06 Worlds coming back to Canada, I"m a little dismayed that Calgary will be hosting it.

This is the 3rd in a row that has been in WEstern CAnada....

1996 - Edmonton
2001 - VAncouver
2006 - Calgary...

Why is that?

Stevie
06-09-2003, 10:20 AM
That link takes me to something called "Sportcentric". I see nothing about the ISU.

arena_gal
06-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by fsfan
Although I'm glad to see the '06 Worlds coming back to Canada, I"m a little dismayed that Calgary will be hosting it.

This is the 3rd in a row that has been in WEstern CAnada....

1996 - Edmonton
2001 - VAncouver
2006 - Calgary...

Why is that?

I've always felt it was unfair that certain Sections would always do better financially because of being able to host a worlds.

There is critera for hosting, and unfortunately there's not a lot of places suitable in Canada. It is a combination of large size arena, practice arenas and sufficient hotel space. The big cities, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc have sports committments, the combination of Leafs and Raptors means that effectively there will never be a worlds at the Air Canada Centre.
Participation from the section and local pool of volunteers also play a part but not having enough hotel rooms will outweigh any amount of dedicated free help.

MaryS999
06-09-2003, 03:01 PM
If you have trouble with the link for the ISU, try typing the url instead. I don't know why it's taking some people to a Sportscentric site. The url is correct, and if I type it instead of using the link, it works correctly and takes you to the ISU site.

SkateFan2

Stevie
06-09-2003, 03:03 PM
OK. Thank you very much.

cygnus
06-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by arena_gal
I've always felt it was unfair that certain Sections would always do better financially because of being able to host a worlds.

There is critera for hosting, and unfortunately there's not a lot of places suitable in Canada. It is a combination of large size arena, practice arenas and sufficient hotel space. The big cities, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc have sports committments, the combination of Leafs and Raptors means that effectively there will never be a worlds at the Air Canada Centre.
Participation from the section and local pool of volunteers also play a part but not having enough hotel rooms will outweigh any amount of dedicated free help.

I would think that Canada has plenty of cities that could fit these criteria. After all, worlds is only 2 weeks or less- other sports can work around this with 2 years' notice, I would think! Apart from the cities who have hosted recently, I would imagine that Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, perhaps London, Montreal, possibly Quebec City, and Halifax could all do it. While I think that it's the East's "turn" now, I will probably be in Calgary in 2006!

Dolly
06-09-2003, 05:46 PM
It's always been a wish of mine to go to Worlds. And what a great gift it would be for my daughter's 16th birthday (in 2006). And we both have good friends in Calgary - they used to be our neighbours but moved a couple of years ago. Hmmm, if I start saving now, I think we could do it. I'm excited!!

milanessa
06-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Canada has lots of venues that could host this, problem is they didn't bid for it. Kind of surprising Winnipeg didn't step up since their new arena will be open then.

try this link

http://www.isu.org/

gerry

RizzleRed
06-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by cygnus
Apart from the cities who have hosted recently, I would imagine that Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, perhaps London, Montreal, possibly Quebec City, and Halifax could all do it. While I think that it's the East's "turn" now, I will probably be in Calgary in 2006!

One city I can guarrantee you that doesn't have enough hotels is Hamilton. Even though tickets aren't even on sale yet, I booked my Hamilton hotel last January for 4 Contintents. At the last Canadians in Hamilton I was stuck out by the Airport and that was with booking a hotel a year ahead. I wouldn't be sure that Winnipeg has enough either. Halifax's arena won't hold enough people for a worlds.

For worlds in Vancouver, the Canucks had to have a 2-week road trip.

arena_gal
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Skate Canada was not impressed with the building facilities at the Pepsi Colisee when Skate Canada Competition was there. Although, it does hold 15,000 seats.

London - not big enough, the arena seats 9000. (would be really nice for a Skate Canada or Canadians, hint hint hint hint)

Ottawa, maybe the same problem, the civic centre seats 9,800.

Skate Canada is looking for Big Arenas! Like with 15,000 seats. There's only a few in Canada, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg?, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City. Then figure out hotels and scheduling from there.

leap of faith
06-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Ottawa does have the Corel Centre. The civic centre would be a nice practice venue.

I'm still hoping Skate Canada will come to Newfoundland. The arena size is good, there's 3 hotels right in the area (5 min walking) plus several other hotels only minutes by taxi.

IgglesII
06-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Do either the Raptors or the Maple Leafs own the Air Canada Centre? If not - if the money is right, the arena operators oughtta tell them to hit the road for the duration of Worlds. Works in the US for Nationals - there's been at least one, if not two teams displaced by US Nationals every year since 96. And two were out on the road (Wizards, Capitals) during Worlds this year.

Montreal - the Canadiens have to take a West Coast road trip at some point during the season - schedule that for a week in March!

marlyn
06-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by arena_gal

Vancouver is a bigger city than both Montreal and Ottawa and they have the Vancouver Canucks but they still managed to get GM place for 2001 Worlds. Vancouver just had to have away games. Why is this a problem in the other cities?

Luigi
06-17-2003, 01:57 AM
I'm so excited!
Worlds in Vancouver was a blast. Boy did that city know how to put on a party!
It was sooooo much better than Worlds in DC. (And I'm from the US.)

And I met some really nice people in Vancouver that I've remained friends with and still email.

I can't wait!

gandalf
06-17-2003, 02:41 PM
I don't expect Worlds will ever come to Toronto. The Leafs rule here, bottom line. Trying to get a ticket to a Leafs game is like trying to walk on the moon. For the ACC to host Worlds, they would need to have the Leafs, the Raptors, and the Toronto Rock (professional lacrosse) to all have extended road trips. Unlikely.

Halifax did a great job hosting Worlds in 1990.

Vancouver is a bigger city than both Montreal and Ottawa and they have the Vancouver Canucks but they still managed to get GM place for 2001 Worlds. Vancouver just had to have away games. Why is this a problem in the other cities?

The availability of a large arena is only one issue though. Suitable practice arenas, hotel availability, and a large volunteer committee are other things that need to be taken into consideration.