View Full Version : AP McDonough's citizenship, etc.

hoptoad
06-21-2002, 11:18 AM
The Four Continents fluff piece on AP left me wondering about her family and citizenship. I take it she's a US citizen, since no one mentioned her elgibility leading up to the Olympics.

But I'd like to know how long she's been a US citizen and how it worked. I understand she was adopted as a baby in the ROK.
Was her adoptive mother a Korean or US citizen at that time or now?
If a US citizen adopts a child born in another country, how is citizenship handled? Does the child immediately get US citizenship? Does he or she go through the naturalization process, and if so, is there an age requirement or other measures that would foster an autonomous decision?

Does AP have a father or siblings?

Trillian
06-21-2002, 04:03 PM
I [i:a6cccd131c]think[/i:a6cccd131c] if a child is adopted by a U.S. citizen, they automatically get citizenship. I'm not 100% sure on that rule, but I'm pretty sure. I'm also fairly certain that AP's father, if not her mother, was a U.S. citizen when she was adopted.

I don't know anything about her dad--I don't think her parents are together anymore. I have heard something about a younger brother but I'm not sure about that either.

olivia
06-21-2002, 05:42 PM
Like Trillian, I don't know that the citizenship is automatic since it seems it would be a really easy way to circumvent the immigration laws, if one chose to do so. It's a really interesting question though. Anyone out there know more?

O-

Moto Guzzi
06-21-2002, 10:27 PM
My friend adopted a little girl from India and, two years later, adopted another little girl from China. If I remember correctly, they became citizens about a year after arriving in the U.S. Perhaps they couldn't become citizens until after their adoptions were finalized??? Sorry I don't know for sure; it's been almost 8 years since the second child was adopted so I don't remember all of the details. My friend considers herself lucky to have two wonderful children.

cupcake728
06-24-2002, 01:03 AM
Oh I didn't know that AP was adopted! But I have been wondering why she had that last name though. Her parents must be grateful to have an adopted child like her who is very talented! Way to go girl!

Cerulean
06-24-2002, 01:15 PM
My little sister is from South Korea too, she came to us when she was 5 months old, and became a citizen by the time she was 2. My parents had to apply with the immagration/whatever office in order to get her her citizenship, first she legally had to become my parent's child, which was after she arrived, and then we could apply for citizenship.

It is much easier to get citizenship for a baby, and very important, because even minors, I believe can be deported if they are not citizens, and caught commiting crimes, etc.

I would imagine that AP is a citizen, and probably would have a difficult time switching to Korea before Turino....

hoptoad
06-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks Cerulean--you are full of information!

Scott
06-26-2002, 06:53 AM
A child who has been adopted will become a US Citizen if the parents finalize the adoption which occurs after one year of the child living with the parents. I believe that this is the rule. Minors, regardless of age, if they are not officially citizens can be deported for any reason. You all may remember the case of the child form Asia who needed medical care in California and was being threatened with deportation because he was not a U S Citizen and had been smuggked into this country when he was much younger. Getting to be a citizen is even more important in light of todays world events.