View Full Version : Boring competition skaters....cool exhibition skaters...

essence_of_soy
06-19-2002, 05:44 PM
and vice versa.

Is it me, or do some skaters seem to be concentrating on the jumps/elements so much, they forgot to sell their program, but in exhibition are able to relax? While others are the opposite.

Your thoughts would be more than appreciated.

Nick

Please post this in the future into General Skating Chat, Polls & Thoughts where it belongs. Thanks. -adrianchew-

bleu
06-19-2002, 06:42 PM
so true...

olivia
06-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Maria Butyrskaya ... definitely! She is a very engaging exhibition skater, IMO, and carries the mood much better because she's not quite so nervous.

Actually, I'd also put Irina Slutskaya in this category, but only sometimes. I never find her competitive skating engaging (although I do find it good), but some of her exhibitions have been so wonderful. Irina seems much more natural when she's skating her exhibitions.

Nicole Bobek: She's a true entertainer. The nerves always got in the way of her competitive programs except maybe during her 1994-1995 season during which she pulled off some gorgeous competitive programs.

Brian Orser: WOW as both a competitve and exhibition skater, but ALWAYS a better exhibition skater, IMO.

Josee Chouinard: If she could only do those jumps consistently. Josee is so expressive and talented. Her exhibition programs have been consistently creative and wonderfully presented. Those blasted jumps!

O-
P.S. I forgot to do the vice versa. But, after thinking on it, I can't really come up with any examples.

leap of faith
06-19-2002, 07:55 PM
Elvis Stojko is the one skater off the top of my head who I prefer watching LPs to galas for.

I could sit down and watch Dragon or 1492 again and again
but the Elvis Presley galas got old after the first time. JMO.

CzarinaAnnie
06-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Yoshie Onda did so much better with her presentation at the worlds exhibition than she did in the actual competition.