View Full Version : Canadian Lady most likely to land quad first?

Caro
06-17-2002, 11:43 AM
The US has a bunch of girls ready to do triple-triples and quads, but Canadian ladies seem behind the pack in that field...

Who do you think will most likely land the quad (or a triple-triple) first?

Now I heard that Jen Robinson is working on a quad salchow... but it seems to me that she often misses the 3sal, so I don't know if a 4-sal will be very consistent...

I also heard that Annie Bellemare (*warning, she is my fave canadian lady*) is trying tripleflip-triple toe and triple lutz-triple toe, and that she will be working on a triple axel. No quad in sight it seems... But still, I think Annie could pull it off (when she's not nervous), cause her jumps have great spring and height...

I don't know what Joannie Rochette is working on, but does she have a triple-triple? Or quad? I remember at last Canadians, the announcers said that the triple lutz was still a big jump for her... But she's a pretty good jumper (or so I remember) maybe...

Nicole Watt? I don't know, it's still very contestable as to whether she is actually doing triples or not... :)

I don't think Nadine Gosselin could pull it off, so I'll skip over to Marianne Dubuc: generally good jumper, nice height, etc.

So all in all, who do you all think will be the canadian lady to land a quad (or triple triple for that matter) first? And do you guys/girls thinks that we will be seeing an increase in technical difficulty in their programs?
I was very impressed with last year's canadians (there was less butt marks on the ice!). Do you think this pattern will remain, or that it was just a good year?

[Just to summarize, my picks are for the triple triple: Annie Bellemare and Jennifer Robinson and for the quad: Annie Bellemare and Joannie Rochette]

Lise
06-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Here are my opinions:

Lauren Wilson and Joannie Rochette both have triple triples. As far as quads, I have a feeling it may be one of them. Wait 1 more year and Cynthia Phaneuf may be doing them..

As for Annie, sorry, but I find her technique on the double axel bad-she has a bad legwrap and I think that the talk of the triple, is that, just talk. My opinion is that she should be concentating on other aspects of her skating such as her spins and spirals. I do agree she is a wonderful jumper but until she improves her presentation, she is not going to be a threat for a major title.

Jenn is my fave right now, and she does not miss the salchow often-just the triple sal/triple toe combo she has a tendency to scale it in competition by simply doing the triple sal on its' own. Since she skated so well at Worlds, it would not surprise me to see her land triple/triples in competition next season. I also would not be surprised if she is working on the quad since she does train with Doug Leigh, but I don't beleive she would be putting it in competition. However, she still needs to work on speed and her spiral sequences.

Marianne-same as Annie. Wonderful jumper but needs to work on presentation. We saw a huge improvement in her presentation at Nationals over her performance at Skate Canada.

Nicole-I think she really needs to work on cleaning her jumps-most of them are still under-rotated and although she has improved a few of her jumps, she will need a triple lutz in both the short and long program to even be in contention for the Canadian title. She also needs to improve her speed, entrances into her jumps as well as her spiral sequences.

The ladies in Canada have improved a great deal over the past season and judging what I saw at the junior level, competition is going to be exciting!!

serpentine
06-17-2002, 01:53 PM
I personally am not going to sit and hold my breath waiting for any of our present seniors (or any juniors that I know of--mind you, I am not immediately familiar with all of them) to be landing quads, even in the next few years. I don't feel that we have any extremely talented jumpers up and coming (meaning someone who is consistent and clean with her 5 triples and a decent triple triple combo), and I would prefer to see clean triple axels and a well-packaged program from someone--anyone--in the next year or two, as this would easily clinch them top spots at almost any international competition. :)

However, I don't want anyone to think that we don't have talent in the ladies field in Canada--we do have some strong up and comers (my bets are on Joannie R.)--and I wish that we would stop investing hype and $$ in our present ladies champ, and instead look toward cultivating the younger skaters who will be our future.

BUt...if i could dream of one canadian lady to land the quad--I would want it to be Annie Bellemare!

professordeb
06-18-2002, 10:14 AM
Serpentine:
Can't leave that last paragraph unchallenged :P
I believe there's a very good reason we should $pend and invest in Jen Robinson. She is the only Canadian woman who has [b:c78d1d7cc7]consistently[/b:c78d1d7cc7] skated well, especially when it has counted. If not for her, we wouldn't be sending more than one woman in the next world's. When the other women can perform on a consistent basis and [b:c78d1d7cc7]when[/b:c78d1d7cc7] it counts, then they'll have earned the right to the money and investment. Until then, in my mind at least, they need to work harder to knock Jen from what she has earned.

til later,
Deb

Dragonlady
06-19-2002, 11:23 AM
My money would be on Signe Ronka. Signe was landing clean triples as a Juvenile, and she'd only been skating for a little over two years at that point.

CanadianSkater
06-24-2002, 10:40 AM
Personally, as far as Canadian ladies go, I want to see them focus on consistantly giving solid performances rather than go for something like a quad, which should only be attempted if you have mastered all the triples!!

Smiley
06-25-2002, 03:46 PM
I will!!!! ;)
hehehe

KittyKins
06-30-2002, 07:48 PM
I think it will be a long time before ANY woman lands the quad. I think they should land the 3-axel first. Who was the last one to do that, Tonja Harding or Midori Ito? So, I think the women have some work to do on the 3 1/2 revolution first before a quad will even be a possibility. I'd vote for Sasha Cohen as the first US woman, and a Canadian...well, I'm not sure, but it will be one of the younger skaters. Perhaps the little gal from Saskatchewan, Nicole Watt. I hear that her coach wants her to work on it. She is real spunky and her arthritis is in remission. There's a little girl coming up who is in Junior that is really good too. I forget her name at the moment. She is from Brandon and was on the Underhill and Martini special and received the torch from them. Oh yeah, it is Tamara Panteluk. I think she gets my vote!