View Full Version : taking pictures in a dark arena (COI)

Clay
06-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Anyone have advice for taking pictures at COI?
I've heard some arenas don't allow flash, some do, and some people use the flash anyway.
Since the flash is dangerous, I was thinking about using the flash only when the skaters were taking bows.
I've never really made any pictures in show lighting.

I am probably going to use a friends camera, but I also have a digital camera with a pretty good zoom on it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Clay

CherylS
06-14-2002, 11:16 PM
Hopefully someone with camera knowledge will answer because I don't have a lot of luck at COI because of the lighting. Most turn out blurry but occasionally they are ok. When I went to COI I actually took both my usual camera and a borrowed digital camera to compare them but I've procrastinated at getting them developed. Some of the digital ones were ok but it did help to see instantly how they were turning out.
So many people use flashes at COI and it is uselessly endangering the skaters because the flash isn't going to help at that distance usually even if you're in the front row. I know that people who can adjust the settings on their cameras do better but show lighting is really tough for really good photos for everyone. There I go talking on and on but not being able to help! :)

Meredith
06-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Clay,
To begin with, you may wish to call the arena ahead of time to learn their policy. If they do allow cameras, read the instructions that came with your camera. Past a few feet, FLASH WILL NOT HELP. The same holds true no matter if your camera is an SLR or digital.

If the instructions that came with your camera are not clear enough or do not discuss show lighting, go to the public library and look for books on digital photography for help.

If you are unable to disable the flash entirely, please place electrical tape over it.

It is my understanding that with MOST digital cameras, it is pretty useless to attempt to take sports photos unless the lighting is extremely good. Therefore, your best shots will be of skaters taking bows or otherwise posing.

Good luck and have fun.

Meredith

ps: I've never taken photos at COI or SOI. I have a new camera (not digital) and its book doesn't address show lighting. I need to take my own advise :wink: before I take it to the show. I have had some success with competition lighting, though.

professordeb
06-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Well...... I've been told to use ASA 800 as it doesn't need flash. I took some pics with this film and it didn't turn out too badly. Unfortunately, I don't do pictures real well.

Anyone else have some words of wisdom??

til later,
Deb

Clay
06-16-2002, 08:49 PM
I went to Austin COI and I am planning on going to Dallas COI as well.
Here are a few pictures..the rest I'll post soon:

http://clay.skatingstars.com/spincombo.jpg
http://clay.skatingstars.com/layback.jpg
http://clay.skatingstars.com/kasakova.jpg

I'll get some more up..but the spins are much easier to take then..say a spiral.

Does 400 speed film work better in 800 in dark conditions?

Thanks everyone!
Clay

SandraD
06-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Clay, I used 1600 film for taking pictures during SOI. That is probably your best bet. There might be a speed between 800 and 1600 that might work better.

When using 1600 film, be sure and brace your arms against your body to avoid blur. Also, I seriously doubt using flash will be allowed. As Meredith mentioned, it won't help anyway.

Good luck,

Sandra

Artistic Skaters
06-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Most people who have been skaters or directors of shows clearly understand why flash photography is prohibited & wouldn't even consider using it.

Flash photographers are usually rude spectators, who believe they can do whatever they want, skaters safety or common sense pleas be damned, just because they bought a ticket.

Please use high speed film & cover the flash. That's the best option I can recommend.