View Full Version : Why did Bobek never skate to Titanic, like it was rumored?

Mistyeyed
06-13-2002, 05:25 AM
After the movie came out, it was said that she was going to skate to the theme song. And she was the person to give that song life and meaning on the ice, yet, I don't recall that she ever did follow though. Am I wrong? Did she actually skate to it? I wished I could see it if she did.

Debbie S
06-13-2002, 07:47 AM
I believe it was going to be her LP for the 98-99 season, but she didn't compete at Nats b/c of injury and wasn't sent to Worlds. I'm not sure if she was planning to use it for the following season, but she was injured and couldn't compete at sectionals and the USFSA denied her a bye to Nats. Soon after that, she turned pro.

It's a shame we never got to see her perform it, b/c I would have liked to have seen it. It's also a shame she never fulfilled her potential as an eligible skater, but that's a whole other discussion topic. :)

olivia
06-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes, it was a shame the way Nicole ended her eligible career. She was and is so naturallly gifted. It's also a shame we don't see more of her currently. It's COI or nothing these days, it seems.

Anyway, about Titantic, although I would love to see what Nicole had planned, the whole thought of skating and the story of Titantic never seemed a good match to me ... "Iceberg right ahead!!!!" then, going down for the count 8) I know, I'm probably reading WAY too much into this, and the soundtrack was really beautiful. But, if I was a skater, I'd probably never be able to skate to that theme music without falling on my butt :oops:

O-

Mistyeyed
06-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Olivia, I have the S/track and I know what your saying. Yet, I just love the music. The bagpipe sounds and all that. It makes me think of Ireland or someplace far away. In retrospect, it does not make me sad at all. I and my hubby sit and listen to the music to make us fell better when we get too stressed. I guess I was focusing more on the positive side for once, like celebrating the greatness and magnificence(sp) of such a ship before the i/berg and its going down. Also, of the fighting spirit of the ones who didn't make it and celebrating the victory of the once who did. I did not mean to sound morbid or anything. I guess I just think different. I could just see Bobek with her smile and artistry really giving that music a go. Ya know? :lol:

pittypat
06-14-2002, 09:06 AM
It would have been appropriate music for her since she pretty much "deep-sixed" her own career through lack of self-discipline.

Too bad; she had so much to offer.

olivia
06-14-2002, 07:02 PM
No, Misteyeyed, I totally understand what you mean. And, on my better days, I too manage to focus on the positive. :D I was just in a really giddy, off-the-wall mood yesterday (even though I meant what I said about me not being able to choose that music if I was a skater). I loved the movie and the soundtrack, and nobody really skated to anything but the theme song (Celine Dion). And nobody really did it justice. There are several other soundtracks I feel the same way about. Nicole definitely would have done a beautiful job. Who know, maybe if you sent her a note suggesting she perform it or a watered down version (jump-wise) at COI, she might just take you up on it.

O-