View Full Version : 94 Worlds: Yuka and Surya

Rachael
06-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Does anyone remember this Worlds and how they each performed? Thank you.

Marco
06-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Well, in the free,

Yuka did 3lutz, 3flip, 2toe, 3loop2toe, 3sal, spiral into 3loop, 2axel step 3sal, fantastic spins, mind-blowing footwork and had excellent edges and speed all the way through.

Surya did 2 2axels, 3toe half loop 3sal2toe, 3lutz 2footed, 3loop hand down and out of position, 3flip3toe way underrotated on the 3toe, 3lutz, OK spins, OK footwork, a bit rough around the edges and very unpolished.

All these came from memory so they may not be 100% correct. I am pretty sure about Yuka's performance but you may have to check on Surya's jump content.

CMc
06-13-2002, 05:05 PM
That's interesting--I remember Surya distinctly acting like a spoiled brat and giving the medal guy a hard time at the podium because she wouldn't stand on it with the medal around her neck. She acted like she was robbed!

Bailey
06-13-2002, 05:11 PM
IMO, that was the poorest display of sportsmanship from Surya. I remember being horrified at Surya's actions - she refused to stand on the podium and they waited, and motioned for her to stand on the podium for her medal. When she finally did, she removed her medal and refused to wear it. I felt so badly for Yuka, her moment was ruined by the 'spoiled brat' who won the silver medal (and that was exactly how Surya acted).

I still believe that Yuka earned that title, she is just such a wonderfully well-rounded skater and she had an excellent performance that night. I still to this day would be upset if Surya (who I still argue doesn't skate - she can't do a clean forward cross-cut without a toe push) won a world championship. There is a reason why it is called figure 'skating'.

icyboid
06-13-2002, 06:00 PM
I remember that Yuka was on fire that night. She had great speed, and I think I remember her landing her double axel with great distance in her jump, literally flying across the ice.
It's a bit hazy since that was 8 years ago, but I think that was one of the best double axels (or camera angle of a double axel) I've ever seen.

I thought that Surya had a great exhibition piece to this one opera aria...it really highlighted her explosiveness and gymnastic ability. She also did some moves that I never saw her do again, like the the "donut on a stick" spin, a Michelle Kwan/Jennifer Robinson layback spin that was held for a long time with great arm positions, a three-jump combination, and I think she did a handstand and backflip in that program again.

Marco
06-13-2002, 09:17 PM
There was no way Surya was to beat Yuka in 94. If she was to win Worlds, it would be 93.

Sacto95834
06-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Hello. This is my first post.

I remember those Championships well....it was kinda like a bad dream til the end. I was horrified when the judges placed Surya in first place with only one skater to go: Yuka. Yuka did not skate well at the Olympics and I had a bad feeling about this. I like many skating fans do not believe Surya skates.....rather she performs gymnastics on ice. Much to my delight Yuka skated the performance of her amateur career.....and won the Championship.

I agree that Surya's behavior was horrible. I could understand her disappointment, but this was Yuka's moment and was disgusted that Surya chose THAT moment to vent at the judges. In my mind there was no question that Yuka had delivered the goods so I was a annoyed at Surya.

I have this on tapes somewhere. Hopefully it is still watchable.

Just my 2 cents.....Cheers.

loveskating
06-14-2002, 11:58 AM
I'd put it this way, Yuka Sato is a very great skater...and Surya Bonaly is a great jumper and entertainer....all of which was very clear at that Worlds, IMHO. Yuka won, fair and square.

I love Surya, like seeing her skate most of the time, love her backflip with the landing on one leg, but she really was, well, way off in her behavior on that podium...she herself chose to be a rebel, not to learn the traditional techniques of skating, to have her mom as a coach, and so I was shocked that she was surprised...and up against Yuka, who just does everything with technical perfection I found her behavior even more shocking.

If anyone wants an example of someone who skates on their FLATS much of the time, who truly is greatly lacking in good edges, that would be Surya...

I don't hold it against her though...its water under the bridge, but I think it did kind of detract from Yuka's well deserved moment at the time so at the time, Surya's behavior was rather upsetting.

nits
06-14-2002, 07:20 PM
I have always enjoyed watching Surya skate and felt she was underrated. Why was her technique always nailed by the judges, yet Lipinski, and later Hughes, had flaws that were overlooked? I know it's a different discussion in itself, but it always bothered me.
I agree her behavior was a bit "bratty," but she felt she won and was disappointed. Didn't Maria exhibit similar behavior at NHK last year? (of course, Maria should've won that comp.)

nits
06-14-2002, 07:22 PM
I have always enjoyed watching Surya skate and felt she was underrated. Why was her technique always nailed by the judges, yet Lipinski, and later Hughes, had flaws that were overlooked? I know it's a different discussion in itself, but it always bothered me.
I agree her behavior was a bit "bratty," but she felt she won and was disappointed. Didn't Maria exhibit similar behavior at NHK last year? (of course, Maria should've won that comp.)

cem
06-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Nits,
I think the difference between Surya, Sarah, Tara. Was that both Tara and Sara actually skated on edges. If you ever watch the layout of a Surya program she spends of the time skating in a straight line on the flat of the blade. A complete lack of showing that she could actually on an edge. One of the great jumper ever but not a great skater. While Tara and Sarah had issues about their jump techinque. Their basic skating ability was never in question. That's what bothers many (me included) about Surya. She had the jumps, if she had ever learned how to skate using edges she would of won a World championship.