View Full Version : Skaters you think will make a splash in 2002 / 2003?

essence_of_soy
06-12-2002, 10:25 AM
My picks are:

Pairs:
The Zhangs from China
Langlois / Achetto

Men:
Jeffrey Buttle
Stephan Lambriel
Kevin Van Den Perren
Gabriel Monnier

Dance:
Silverstein / Forsythe

Ladies:
Joanna Rochette
Galina Maniachenko

Spinner
06-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Hmmm, I'd have to pick Jeff Buttle as well, and add Ann Patrice McDonough and keep my fingers crossed for Miki Ando of Japan (she blew me away at Jr. Worlds!)

Spinner

Xiaoxue
06-12-2002, 11:42 AM
This is not so much my predictions, more like my prayers and wishes for the skaters/teams.

1. Jeffrey Buttle
2. Emanuel Sandhu
3. Dubreuil/Lauzon
3. Delobel/Schoenfelder
4. Langlois/Archetto
5. Annie Bellemare
6. Lariviere/Faustino
7. Pang/Tong

Lise
06-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Here are mine:

Emanuel Sandhu
Jeff Buttle
Joannie Rochette

Debbie S
06-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Ladies:

Nationally (U.S.), I think Jenny Kirk and Angela N. have a lot of potential to have big years. New coaches, less tragedy to overcome, and they're both very talented (although I wonder if Callaghan will actually help fix Jenny's flutz). It'll be interesting to see if Louann Donovan can overcome the junior champion curse.

What happens at Worlds will of course depend on whether IS and MK compete next season. It'll definitely be interesting to see how Fumie Suguri will follow-up on her bronze-medal winning season. Lots of potential there. I wonder if Sasha will continue to work on her quad, and what Vasiliev will do for Volchkova.

Men:

Nats: I don't see anyone at this point challenging Tim for the title, but
Matt Savoie should give him a run for his money. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt beats Mike Weiss. Of course, if Mike actually lands his jumps in the short program and can land a quad on 1 foot....

I'm crossing my fingers for Derrick Delmore to have a great season. He probably won't make Worlds, but it would certainly be a thrill for him to compete in his hometown. I was very impressed with his performances at Nats this year, compared to past years. He's definitely on the right track.

At Worlds, I'd love to see Tim beat Plushenko and take it all (this is based on the assumption that Yags won't be competing, since he's on SOI). But I do think Plush still has a big advantage. I think it would be great for men's skating if another Canadian can be a top contender - Sandhu looks to have the most technical skill right now. And I think Honda could also have a great year.

Pairs

Nats: Although I/Z won't have much challenge for the title, I'm betting on Kalesavich/Parchem and Orscher/Lucash to make a big splash. Of course, I'd love to see S/D do well, but they need to get over their injuries and inconsistency.

Worlds: If I/Z (notice I said "if") keep skating like they did this season, they could seriously challenge for the world title. The field is pretty wide open, with both B/S and S/P not competing. S/Z definitely need to work on their presentation, as do T/M. Perhaps a big splash will come from Abitbol/Bernadis (returning from injury) - are they going to compete next year?

Dance:

Nats: Assuming L/T keep competing, they'll probably face tough comp. in Belbin/Agosto. I can't wait to see how Silverstein/Forsyth look - I agree with you essence, they could be a big (and happy) surprise. L/T definitely need to work on upping their tech merit. Are they still with Zhulin/ here's hoping they get a better free dance next year.

I'm crossing my fingers for B/k at Worlds (oops, I didn't just jinx them, did I?). I don't think the judges will actually put them behind C/S, and with L/A questionable (with her knee problems), I do think B/K will have a great shot. I think that an improved L/T have the potential to move up to the top 5, and I'll be curious to see what happens to the Bulgarians, if the judges hold their petition-organizing against them. Speaking of which, has it been confirmed that D/V are retiring?

Scott
06-12-2002, 12:55 PM
USA:

Men: Johnny Weir is the one to watch for a major move, no question about it.

Dance: Silverstein and Forsyth will be a big hit their first season out and I expect the Gregory and Petukov will move up.

Pairs: The team to definately watch is Orscher/Lucash. They could cop one of the spots for worlds.

Women: Stagnant from last year.

loveskating
06-12-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm most interested in Takeshi Honda and Alexander Abt among the men...I think these two are the real high quality skaters, but both are either inconsistent or have had some really bad luck. I'd be delighted if either or both of them were on the podium all the time, LOL! Personally, I don't really care, but its good for skating when kids emulate skaters like that, so I hope they win a lot.

Of course, with Yags in SOI, I expect Plushenko to win everything in sight...but I am most interested in seeing him mature into his own self...much as Kulik did in 1998. I think Plushy still skates mostly as his coach tells him to...and brilliantly, masterfully, but I'd like to see the real Plushenko.

I would like to see A.P. McDonaugh do well because she has a REAL lutz and is all around of high quality; honestly, I think she is a distant second only to Sasha when it comes to quality...although she has yet to skate really clean and has some issues....still her jumps are big and well done, and yet she is a whole package skater...her sitspin is absolutely to DIE for. I like seeing skaters who have something special like that.

In pairs, beyond Zhen and Xiao and Ina & Zimmerman, I'm at a loss with the top two pairs gone to SOI. I don't see anyone in the field of that quality...need to go look at my tapes, I guess!

Ice dance? I won't even go there. I've decided I don't know the rules and never will grasp them, so why even talk about it?

Smiley
06-12-2002, 01:29 PM
For ladies.....

I think that Joannie Rochette will make a HUGE splash, this girl is good!! All the Japanesse skaters will put up at fight for those 3 spots on the World's. I think that with the USA lots of girls will skate very good at Nationals trying to make worlds in their homeland but MK, SH and SC will remain the top 3, unfortunatly!!

For Men......

Jeff Buttle of course!! :D:D Also, I think that Takeshi Honda and Alexander Abt will remain a force this next year! They will both be fighting to prove to people that they are consistent and can win medals everytime out and preform well.

Pairs....

China will take everyone by storm! Mostly, the Zhang's!!!They are amazing I think as well as the top 2 Cdn teams right now, they can come up this year. I also hope Ina and Zimerman do well, i really love this team!

I could care less about dance.. sorry...

Patty
06-12-2002, 06:40 PM
AP. She's already made a big splash for me watching her in person at Nationals. IMO, in person, she had the best ladies SP at 2002 Nationals. Her basic skating skills techniques are not only very good, but better than Sasha's and Kirk's. She does need more consistency, more passion, and I worry about her mom being another Mrs. Chin.

I think she could medal at a GP. I could even see her pulling a Nam/ Cohen at US Nationals next season.

Corey
06-12-2002, 07:07 PM
my picks
Tim will win nat. and Worlds.
Brian Jorbort is very amazing
Belbin and Agusto will win nat.
Sarah Hughes will give everybody a run for money
I and Z will be on podium at worlds again.

Caro
06-12-2002, 07:09 PM
ANNIE BELLEMARE!
JEFF BUTTLE!
ANABELLE LANGLOIS AND PATRICE ARCHETTO!
(haha yes, I'm from Canada...)

ANGELA NIKODINOV! ("the comeback kid")
JENNIFER KIRK!
FUMIE SUGURI (well more than she already is...)!
TAKESHI HONDA (becomes world champion, I wish...)

(These are more wishes than predictions though...)

Show 42
06-12-2002, 07:57 PM
I would love to see Angela in the mix next season, but I don't know. If she hasn't made a major upward movement by now, I don't think she ever will.

Trillian
06-12-2002, 08:00 PM
[quote:87e311291c="Patty"]I think she could medal at a GP. I could even see her pulling a Nam/ Cohen at US Nationals next season.[/quote:87e311291c]

Even if McDonough won nationals, I don't think it would make sense to compare it to what Nam and Cohen did. McDonough already has two successful years of competition at the U.S. senior level and is considered a top-level contender. Nam and Cohen were both fresh out of juniors without even having won the junior title. McDonough has quite a bit of international experience, junior and senior, including a world junior title; Nam had never competed internationally and Cohen hadn't done much of it. Totally different situation. I could see McDonough placing well at nationals too, IF she keeps her head together, and it would probably cause a bit of a stir, but it's nothing like the situation Nam and Cohen were in.

Patty
06-13-2002, 04:24 AM
Trillian-
True. But, I was thinking more about what the general public's perception would be, than how closely the skaters' backgrounds matched up. Even though AP has competed internationally and on TV, I still don't think she's much more well- known to the general public than Sasha and Naomi were back then. Even though AP's been in the top 10 at Senior Nationals for a couple of years, I think it would seem like to the general public that AP came out of nowhere, like Sasha and Naomi had. Like with Naomi and Sasha, I think the media would make a big deal about it, especially if AP bumped one of the Olympians off the Worlds team.

Miezekatze
06-13-2002, 04:46 AM
Lots of wishful thinking involved probably :wink:

Pairs:

Pang & Tong
Zhang & Zhang
Langlois & Archetto

Ladies:
Fumie Suguri
Yoshie Onda
Volchkova
Maniachenko

Men:
Kevin van der Perren
Stephane Lambiel

Dance:
Navka & Kostomarov
Faiella & Scali

Marco
06-13-2002, 09:37 AM
Shen/Zhao
Pang/Tong
Zhang/Zhang
I/Z

Suguri
Arakawa
Onda
Cohen
McDonough
Sokolova

pittypat
06-13-2002, 04:25 PM
[quote:162508f63b="Scott"]USA:

Men: Johnny Weir is the one to watch for a major move, no question about it.

Dance: Silverstein and Forsyth will be a big hit their first season out and I expect the Gregory and Petukov will move up.

Pairs: The team to definately watch is Orscher/Lucash. They could cop one of the spots for worlds.

Women: Stagnant from last year.[/quote:162508f63b]

I pretty much agree with your comments and especially hope Weir will have a great season.

In U.S., pairs I look forward to seeing Kalsavich/Parchem. Not to mention dear John & his partner ????? Ms Ina. :D

Ladies: can't wait to see how the U.S., ladies will do, all of them & looking forward to seeing what a new coach can do for Victoria V. Ditto for what a new coach can do for L/T

Catherine M
06-14-2002, 09:30 AM
Pairs:

Langlois & Archetto; anxiously looking forward to their new season with their new coach, Jan Ullmark

Obertas & Sokolov (I think that's his name); Would LOVE to see them become the #1 Russian Team

Zhang & Zhang

Mikkeline & Norman; ok, so they can't compete internationally for awhile but it would be great if they can become a team that restores German Pairs skating

Dance:

Don't really care

Men:

Jeff Buttle
Johnny Weir

Ladies:

Joannie Rochette
Lauren Wilson
Cynthia Phanuef

Catherine

lBrokenAnkle
06-14-2002, 11:12 AM
Well, some of these are wishful thinking, but here goes:

Men:
Ilia Klimkin
Matt Savoie

Women:
AP Mc Donough

Pairs
The Zhangs
Abitol and Bernadis
Ina and Zimmerman

Dance:
I didn't get the memo on what was predetermined for this season, but I am sure it is not B&K or L&T, unfortunately.

Laura

melanieuk
06-15-2002, 07:30 AM
Jeffrey Buttle
Stephane Lambiel
Zhang & Zhang

bleu
06-17-2002, 06:33 PM
This is not so much my predictions, more like my prayers and wishes for the skaters/teams.

1. Jeffrey Buttle
2. Emanuel Sandhu
3. Dubreuil/Lauzon
3. Delobel/Schoenfelder
4. Langlois/Archetto
5. Annie Bellemare
6. Lariviere/Faustino
7. Pang/Tong

8. Stephanie/Aaron(USA)
9. Mikkeline/Norman(GER) - I would like to see if they will bring something new to pairs skating.
10.Laura Wilson
11.Joanne Rochette

I am with you *on my knees praying*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tenacious D
06-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Who is she? Can you tell me more about Joanne Rochette and what she has done so far..?

-aka Blah at MKF and FSW

Lise
06-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Joannie Rochette is a 16 yr old skater from Quebec. She has been a novice champion, junior champion of Canada and last season in her first senior nationals won the bronze medal. She went to Four Continents with a top 10 finish and junior worlds was in the top 5.

This girl has it all-she needs a little more work on presentation but her speed and jumps are there.

Lise

RoseAugust
06-20-2002, 05:48 PM
I'm hoping for some major splashing from -

Johnny Weir
A. P. McDonaugh
Silverstein/Forsyth
Pang/Tong

pilgrimsoul
06-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Here's my list for a (hopeful) breakout season:

Men - Matt Savoie, Alexander Abt, Takeshi Honda, Johnny Weir

Ladies - Fumie Suguri, AP McDonough, Viktoria Volchkova, Jenny Kirk,
Sasha Cohen

Pairs - The Zhangs, Ina & Zimmerman, Totmianina & Marinin

Junior Ladies - Katie Stewart, Jennifer Don

Mistyeyed
06-24-2002, 07:14 AM
I read this thread the other day and was not really sure who I wanted to list that I hoped made their "splash" in 2002-03. There are so many great and potential great skaters out there in every field that sometimes it is difficult to pick just one but after some thought I have decided that I would like to see these two skaters in the ladies field(as that is my fav. to watch)make a good/great showing and they are NNN and J. Kirk. Kirk has been through so much and NNN never did not get to really prove herself after her injuries and I would like to see them get some really great media attention.

marlyn
06-24-2002, 08:39 AM
I think Jeff Buttle will make a big splash, and I also think Sandhu will do well this year!
I think the pairs podium will be very different this year...no real predictions, but I feel that the young teams are going to start to dominate! :D

iceboy
06-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Dubreuil and Lauzon
Emanuel Sandhu
Jeffrey Buttle
Alexander Abt