View Full Version : Ok guys. Let`s have some fun. Let`s match skating siblings?

FSWer
06-10-2002, 11:03 PM
Foxy Roxy`s post gave me the idea for this thread. But how many siblings in the Skating world can we name. We already have Sarah and Emily Hughes. There`s Tiffany and Johnnie Stiegler. Michelle and Karen Kwan. Are there any others we can think of?

CzarinaAnnie
06-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Steve and Danielle Hartsell

amethyst
06-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Amber and Alissa Czisny, Sima and Amir Ganaba...

A.H.Black
06-10-2002, 11:27 PM
Danielle and Steve Hartsell.
Jason Dungjen used to skate with his sister Susan.
The dance couple - Youngs.
Kitty and Peter Caruthers
Add to the Steiglers, their sister Stephanie
Dawn and Troy Goldstein
Isabel and Paul Duschenay
The Owen's sisters that died in the '61 plane crash
David and Hayes Jenkens
David and Jimmy Santee
Victor Petrenko's brother also skated on the senior level
Mary Scotvold and Ann Militano(?) are twins and are sisters? of Ron Ludington.
Parker Pennington has a younger brothers who skates.
Steven Pottenger also has a brother who skates (skated?)
The Sciarrotta's, who were junior pair champions in the early '90s
Natalie and Wayne Seybold
John and Don Baldwin
Otto and Maria Jelenik
John Nicks won World's with his sister
The Kaufmans
The Kennedys

Lots of others whose names won't come to me right now.

Rachael
06-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Carol and Nancy Heiss
Michelle and Karen Kwan

bbtano
06-11-2002, 12:32 AM
Steven Pottenger's brother is Christopher. He skates with Syndey Schmidt. :)

Trillian
06-11-2002, 12:37 AM
[quote:e4ab0c42da="A.H.Black"]Victor Petrenko's brother also skated on the senior level[/quote:e4ab0c42da]

Vladimir--he was a world junior champion, I think, and competed internationally. (He may have even gone to worlds, I'm not sure.) He's a few years younger than Viktor and now coaches in Simsbury, Conn.--I've seen quite a few of his students at events in New England.

[quote:e4ab0c42da]Parker Pennington has a younger brothers who skates.
Steven Pottenger also has a brother who skates (skated?)[/quote:e4ab0c42da]

Parker's brother is named Colin, and he was at the novice level last year. He's done fairly well but certainly not as well as Parker did at the lower levels. (Parker has national titles at every level except senior.)

The other Pottenger boy is Christopher--I think he medaled at junior nationals this year in either juvenile or intermediate pairs.

[quote:e4ab0c42da]John and Don Baldwin[/quote:e4ab0c42da]

They also have a sister, Donna, who has competed at nationals in junior dance. This family is notable because both parents were skaters; John Sr. was a national champion (novice or junior?).

There are tons of other skaters who could be named. A LOT of skaters' siblings skated competitively themselves at some point; in many cases it was a family activity of sorts. Even if you restrict it to siblings who have both (all) competed on the national level, you'd have a huge list.

Nickel
06-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Tiffany and Brittany Vise

Ben and Colleen Okolski

Lindsay and Andy Seitz

ChicaTica
06-11-2002, 12:52 PM
Siblings who have competed at the National level that have not been mentioned:

Natasha and Tamara Kuchiki
Paul and Phillip Dulebohn
Amanda and Jaclyn Ward
Kathleen Kelly Cutone, Aileen Kelly and Noreen Kelly
Jeff and Michelle Tilly (skated pairs together before she out grew him)
Brian Wells and his sister (sorry can't remember her name, but they also skated pairs together until she out grew him)
Jonathan Hunt and his sister (sorry can't remember her name either)
Roger Glen and Diane Ronayne
Geremi and Michael Weiss

That's all I can remember right now...
--ChicaTica

Trillian
06-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Well, here are just those skaters who were at nationals [i:899bec69c9]this year[/i:899bec69c9] who have siblings who skate (that I know of):

*Sarah and Emily Hughes both competed at nationals this year--3rd in seniors, 11th in juniors. I think their older sister may have skated competitively as well.
*Alissa and Amber Czisny both competed this year--11th in seniors, 7th in juniors.
*The Vise sisters, Tiffany and Brittany, won bronze medals in junior pairs and novice pairs respectively.

*Michelle Kwan's sister Karen has been mentioned.
*Joan Cristobal has a sister, Heather, who has competed nationally at the lower levels.
*Stacey Pensgen used to skate pairs with her brother Nathan.
*I'm pretty sure Andrea Varraux's younger brother Zachary qualified for junior nationals this year in juvenile or intermediate dance. I think he may have also tried skating pairs with Kelsey Drewel's younger sister at some point, though they haven't competed that I know of.
*Michael Weiss's sister Geremi was the 1990 U.S. junior silver medalist and quit immediately afterward.
*Parker Pennington's brother has been mentioned.
*The Baldwins--John, Don, and Donna--have been mentioned.
*Philip Dulebohn's brother Paul used to compete at the national level and now coaches in Delaware.
*Jon Hunt used to skate pairs with his sister Jessica.
*I believe Janice Mayne has a sister named Anne who is/was a competitive skater.
*Steven Pottenger's brother has been mentioned.
*I believe Joseph Jorgens has a younger(?) brother named Michael who has also competed pretty successfully in pairs.
*Augie Hill's older sister Katy competed nationally (with Nick Traxler and Ben Agosto) and internationally (with Agosto) in dance, but has since quit. I think they have a younger brother (Charlie?) who competes at the lower levels, too.
*Samantha Skavdahl's older sister Stephanie was very successful at the lower levels in singles and pairs. I think she still competes in singles.
*Jenna Yount's sister Tatum used to compete; I'm not sure if she still does.
*Trina Pratt skated with her brother Robert until last year; Robert also used to compete in pairs with Brandi Sandoval.

*The Stieglers
*The Ganabas
*The Hartsells
*The Rogeness's
*The Youngs
*The Munanas
*The Smiths
*The Okolskis
*The Seitz's
*The McCulloughs

And that's all I know. You can see how the list gets a little long if you start factoring in those skaters who weren't at nationals this year, or from other countries, etc....

leap of faith
06-11-2002, 02:14 PM
Kristy and Lisa Sargeant from Canada.

leap of faith
06-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Sherry and Stacie Ball from Canada, one skated with Jean Michel Bombardier and the other with Kris Wirtz.

VGL
06-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Shae-Lynn and Christopher Bourne

FSWer
06-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Amber and Allisa?! I`ve never seen them skate. Let alone the Skating world doesn`t hardly mention them. Could someone please post a link to any websites they have if any? Or at least any links showing them skating in competition? I`m very interested. Thanks.

Sylvia
06-11-2002, 07:57 PM
http://www.alissaczisny.homestead.com/

http://www.amberczisny.homestead.com/

Click on their "News" links for video clips of their skating from a recent competition. As you can tell from their photos, they are fraternal, not identical, twins, and will turn 15 later this month.

CanAmSk8ter
06-11-2002, 08:00 PM
[quote:e2a40c49e1="VGL"]Shae-Lynn and Christopher Bourne[/quote:e2a40c49e1]

I didn't know Shae's brother used to skate. Did I read somewhere that her sister skated, or is that my imagination?

FSWer
06-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Thank you so much for their websites. Did they ever pair or Ice Dance? Anyone know when and if they`ll be skating on t.v.?

Trillian
06-11-2002, 08:46 PM
[quote:d44709820f="FSWer"]Did they ever pair or Ice Dance? Anyone know when and if they`ll be skating on t.v.?[/quote:d44709820f]

I don't believe either Czisny twin has competed in pairs or dance, though it might not be a bad option for them. Alissa is small enough for pairs (she's the shorter of the two by several inches), and Amber might make a strong dancer. However, I understand the family isn't exactly made of money, so the cost of keeping two elite competitors in one discipline is probably enough of a strain at this point.

As for whether they'll be on TV, we'll see. Their first shot would probably be during nationals this year, though, since Alissa is competing on the Junior Grand Prix (which isn't televised) and Amber hasn't been assigned to any international events at all yet. If one of them makes the top eight or ten in the short at nationals, we'll probably see them on TV then. I'd rate Alissa's chances as being pretty good for that, actually, so keep an eye out just in case.

FSWer
06-11-2002, 09:00 PM
How come we don`t hear much about them?

purplecat
06-11-2002, 09:52 PM
What ever happened to the Chua twins? I haven't heard about them lately.

Sylvia
06-11-2002, 10:38 PM
[quote:ad485050fd="FSWer"]How come we don`t hear much about them?[/quote:ad485050fd]

Mainly because the Czisny twins have yet to be seen on national television! ;) However, both of them have been talked about previously in various online skating forums. Amber made it to US Nationals first (at the Novice level) in 1999 at the age of 11, but Alissa was the first to medal at Nationals, winning the silver in Junior ladies in 2001. They were both supposed to make their Junior Grand Prix debuts last fall (before all the JGP skaters were withdrawn in the wake of 9/11), but, at the moment, only Alissa has a JGP assignment for the upcoming season. They are excellent spinners.

purplecat,

So the Chua sisters are twins? They both competed recently in the All Year FSC competition -- Andrey (1999 Novice national silver medalist; qualified for 2001 Nationals as a junior but withdrew due to injury) in Junior and Anne Claire in Novice.

Dave Amorde posted some of his impressions re. this competition in this thread on the Unseen Skaters message board:
http://unseenskaters.sparkleteddy.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3cff91be7051ffff;act=ST;f=14;t=110

adrianchew
06-12-2002, 12:24 AM
John & Jennifer Nicks won pairs skating for GBR in 1953 at Worlds.

Ice_On_Winnipeg
06-12-2002, 09:24 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the brother/sister ice dancers of Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay!! She was Christopher Dean's first wife.

Trillian
06-12-2002, 10:42 AM
[quote:f65b70a7a7="Sylvia"]So the Chua sisters are twins?[/quote:f65b70a7a7]

Oh, they'd have to be. I saw the two of them off the ice at the 1999 nationals (more interested in the table selling Beanie Babies than in the silver medal Andrey had just won), and they were absolutely identical. They seemed pretty close, too, which was nice to see. Several people stopped Andrey to congratulate her and she was very gracious.

I think both have had quite a few injury problems. We've heard more about Andrey's since she's qualified for nationals twice, but I don't think Anne Claire competed at regionals last season (and I'm not sure she did the year before, either). Of course, that may not have been due to injury, but at any rate, she's been out of competition lately too.

purplecat
06-12-2002, 11:29 AM
Thanks Sylvia and Trillian for your info on the Chuas. A couple years ago a local news channel did a feature on them and I wondered how they were doing.

BTW, I really liked Alissa Czisny when I saw her at Nationals...nice presentation and positions. I hope to see her on TV in the future! :)

FSWer
06-12-2002, 07:12 PM
DEBBY!!!!!!! w/b. Can you guess who this is?

B and K Fan
06-18-2002, 10:32 PM
[quote:8a15a4a65b="CanAmSk8ter"][quote:8a15a4a65b="VGL"]Shae-Lynn and Christopher Bourne[/quote:8a15a4a65b]

I didn't know Shae's brother used to skate. Did I read somewhere that her sister skated, or is that my imagination?[/quote:8a15a4a65b]

Yes, Shae's sister Calea also used to skate, she was an ice dancer as well. I don't believe that she still does though... :D