View Full Version : If you could learn to skate,what kind of skater would you want to be?

FSWer
02-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Ok gang, here's a great question. If you could skate (or) if you could learn to be any kind of skater(s) in the world,what would it be?
Here's mine...... If I could learn to skate and be a skater I would looooooove to learn to do Pairs or Ice-Dance. Maybe even Synchro. Ok gang,your turn.

yogurtslinger
02-16-2003, 01:05 PM
hi FSWer... your title reminded me of a comment Susan Wynne <sp> made while watching Nationals. Looking at Sasha Cohen, she said something along the lines of "if I could skate, that's exactly how I'd want to look" or something like that. Sasha is quite "perfect", no? Although I personally don't like the way she seems to "muscle" her jumps... it doesn't look as natural to me-- more gymnastic-y.

Getting off topic here ;)... if "I could skate", I'd want to skate exactly like Oksana Baiul. She has an amazing ability to dance, I still think. I think I would also love doing pairs.

KwanNCohenRock
02-16-2003, 03:00 PM
I would want Plushenkos Jumps, Antons fluidity of movement, Lambiels Intricacy of Spins, Diffuculty of jump entrences from Savoie and his good spin positions, Jahnkes Natual Sense of Artistry, and Alexeis Footwork :D . Id also want Micheal Weiss' Attitude :roll: LOL j.k.

MissIndigo
02-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Hi...

I am an adult skater. I skate for fun, for exercise, for stress relief, and I do the occasional local competition.

I enjoy watching the skaters on TV and observing how they perform their moves, since I learn a lot by watching. However, if I could learn to be any kind of skater in the world, I'd want to learn to be the best I possibly could be and enjoy myself while I'm doing it. I strive for fluid skating, good edges, and good spins. I like jumps ok, but to me that feeling doesn't compare to the thrill of a good fast spin.

So every day, I just want to be me, in my own style, getting better over time. ;)

Tpangner
02-16-2003, 06:43 PM
If I could skate, I would love to be a female Kurt Browning. To have a great sense of humour on the ice ,talent and great feet!!!! I really love footwork and it's he main thing I would love to learn.

Aaron W
02-16-2003, 07:09 PM
I actually am learning to skate (have been for 2 years now). My ultimate goal would be attaining the *skating* level of Ryan Jahnke. He may not have the most difficult jumps consistent (3axel or quad), but he is a brilliant skater. Just to be able to glide across the ice like he does and do MITF as well as he does should probably be every aspiring skater's goal. :)

Skatingsarah
02-16-2003, 07:44 PM
I've been skating since Iw as 4 and I would love to be able to learn how to skate like Sasha. No matter what ppl say I think shes the best in my mind and if you know me its pretty hard to get thumbs up from me! lol
-Sarah

duane
02-17-2003, 12:28 AM
i would want to be a skater like elvis! actually, we're similar in height and build (tho i have more muscle. :) )--and, we're both March Aries!

mkfan34202
02-17-2003, 07:35 PM
I would want to skate with the joy and the emotion of MK. The power of Alexei. The extension of Sasha.

leap of faith
02-17-2003, 09:26 PM
I'd like to skate like Jamie Sale with David as a partnet to boot.

Mistyeyed
02-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Oh, I'd be a singles skater and I would jump and twirl and glide my way into peoples hearts because I would skate like the wind. You couldn't catch me. Bet thats what they all say in the beginning;)

joyjoy
02-18-2003, 12:10 PM
I don't want to be just a skater doing jumps or only artistry. I want to combine everything together. I would like to have:

good spring in my jumps such as Slutskaya or Bonaly

beautiful artistry with grace, expression,feeling, musicality and joy of skating like Kwan

fast, centered spins like Eldredge

good sportsmanship like Michelle Kwan

:D

Chico
02-19-2003, 12:04 AM
What kind of skater would I be? I'd just be ME, but I'd like to see what just ME could be with time. My ultimitate goal would and is to be challenged and have a great time.

Chico

figuristka
02-22-2003, 02:04 AM
I always wanted to be like Oksana Baiul as she was in eligible skating. I would definately want Alexei Yagudin's passion and fight. I also like Angela Nikodinov's style.

Poohsk8s2
02-22-2003, 07:50 PM
If I could chose... I would love to skate (and look) like Marina Anisinna. I think that she is Vogue on Ice.

kayskate
02-23-2003, 06:29 AM
I am an adult skater. I have been skating for 10 yrs. Skating is a tremendous challenge. Trying it yourself really makes you appreciate the dedication of someone who attains a high level in this sport. Even the simplest looking things they do are not easy. It annoys me when announcers say "That was only a double" or "A *single* axel?" I wish I could do a nice double or a good single axel. Those are really hard skills. Maybe not for top competitors, but their single jumps are so much bigger and better than what most skaters can ever achieve.

Personally, I just want to skate fast and do the basic skills well. I am good at spinning and would like to develop that skill as much as possible.

Kay

loveskating
02-24-2003, 12:07 PM
I'd want to be like Ilia Kulik or Sasha Cohen, or both, LOL!

As it is, I'd just like to get my Reidels and start skating again, and I'm going to be really happy when my legs don't feel like lead!

Toepoint
02-25-2003, 03:40 PM
I would want to have Sasha's jumps. They are really beautifully executed. But I would want to have the musicality of say Caryn Kadavy or Paul Wiley. I would truly be magnificent.:P

JDC1
02-25-2003, 04:33 PM
I do skate have been doing singles and am now moving onto dance. The kind of skater I hope to become would be to have soft knees, straight back, clean edges and effortless flow over the ice. I love Peter T and I love L&A and Marina Annasina.

CanAmSk8ter
02-25-2003, 05:58 PM
I want to skate just like Naomi or Shae. But since I started late, I know I'll never be elite-level. I can only practice and do my best. I remember starting out at a small club where the best dancers were on their Pre-Silvers, and I'm past that point now. Sometimes I think it would be fun to still train there and be one of the best, but I love training at a rink where I have some of the best in the world to look up to.

I have a question- to all of you that don't skate, why not?

RoaringSkates
02-26-2003, 09:19 AM
I do skate. If I could pick any style, I'd pick what I'm doing right now, which is ladies' singles. I'd also like to try synchro one day - it looks like so much fun!

If I could skate like any skater, I'd like to be as fast and smooth as Alexander Abt, have the footwork of Kurt Browning or Alexi Yagudin, the spiral of Michelle Kwan or Sarah Hughes, spin like Lucinda Ruh, have the jumps of Alexi or Ilya Kulik, and the consistancy and longevity of Michelle Kwan.

Realistically, I want to be able to skate smoothly, spin decently, and do a huge, fabulous waltz jump. I think the nicest waltz jump I ever saw live was Mike Weiss'. He covered half the rink just in this warm-up jump. Lovely.