View Full Version : GP assignments and other rules...help!

Samira
06-03-2002, 02:24 PM
I'm a rather new skating fan and don't know too much about things like GP assignment and rules in this sport. Can anyone plaese explain it a bit to me?

And another question: I understand to in order to stay eligible you must do at least one GP. Is the skater also required to do the GPF?

Thanks...

Samira

Isabelle
06-03-2002, 03:04 PM
What exactly do you want to know?

I've never heard that you have to do a GP assignment to stay eligible but it might be true. However, you do NOT have to do the GPF in order to stay eligible because only 6 skaters/teams in each discipline compete there. What happens is, each country assigns their top skaters to GP competitions. (Skate Canada, Skate America, Trophée Lalique, NHK Trophey, and Sparkessens Cup) Where a skater places at those events earns a certain amount of points. (you can only score points at 2 events though....some people compete at 3, but it is determined before hand which ones are the "scoring events") After all the GP competitions are over, the 6 skaters/teams in each discipline with the most points get to compete at the GPF. There are also alternates assigned (I think about 4) so if someone can't go, their spot is filled with an alternate. (and the alternates are in a certain order too -- like 1st alternate, 2nd alternate, etc)
Hope that helps! :)

justsk8
06-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Does anyone know if there is a AGE LIMIT on the skaters doing Jr. GP's ?

Thanks

leap of faith
06-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Yes there is...

It's ISU rule 108 2c.

Ladies (must not be 19 as of July 1 preceding the competition)
Men (must not be 19 as of July 1 preceding the competition)
Pairs (must not be 19 for ladies and 21 for men as of July 1 preceding the competition)
Dance(must not be 19 for ladies and 21 for men as of July 1 preceding the competition)

Rogue
06-07-2002, 08:25 AM
My understanding is that seeded skaters (top six) must participate in the GP if they want to compete in the proams without losing eligibility. So if a seeded skater wanted to skip the GP and remain eligible for Worlds, s/he would just have to skip all the proams as well.