View Full Version : I Miss Elvis

Peter G
05-30-2002, 10:45 PM
[color=green:5bd408854f]I know that we just got to see him at the Olympics. But I've been thinking recently that there's something about Elvis being a part of the eligible ranks that I'm going to really miss!

I guess at first I enjoyed how he had a different style, his own style, which gave the sport more depth. I don't want to see 20 skaters do the same thing. The more skaters are different from one another, the better!

Then I think I appreciated his athleticism, pushing the sport technically.

Then I appreciated his drive, his focus, his mental strength.

Then I liked how people kept counting him out, and he persevered and did what he wanted. Medals weren't the issue. It was about feeling he had something to offer, and wanting to contribute whatever he could.

Not seeing him push and challenge the other Canadian men is going to be a big disappointment for me. Watching the Canadian championships without Elvis...I'm feeling sad as I write this!!!

And knowing that Worlds will not have Elvis there... The eligible ranks are missing a true great.[/color:5bd408854f]

Elvii
05-30-2002, 10:55 PM
Are you trying to make me cry? :cry:

Man I missed him last year when I only saw him skate at Worlds but I kept thinking hopefully I'll see more of him next year. But now there is no next year for him (regarding eligible comps).... now I want to go watch my Elvis tapes....

gold4Elvis
05-30-2002, 11:24 PM
:cry: Me too!! I feel very privledged to have seen two of his last competitions-Skate Canada and Canadians this past year. I had always followed him on TV, but to be able to be there live was absolutely incredible and gave me such a clear picture of this man! His strength, courage, fortitude, sportsmanship, talent will go on forever in the minds of true Canadian Figure skating fans. He represents an Eternal Legacy- victory in skating that transcends the simple hardware of gold;his essence is in victory through staying true to oneself. Gosh, I am rambling terribly. I will miss this man immensely...but he has chosen to move on, having left a significant mark for others to follow. I wish him nothing but the best.

SShaste
05-31-2002, 01:29 AM
Ah you guys are making me want to cry too :( . I am going to miss seeing him in the eligible ranks so much. I love that my guys friends don't make fun of my love of figure skating because of Elvis, lol, when I mention Elvis instead of making fun they jump in with how cool he is, and I don't think they've watched skating in their lives but they will actually sit down and watch him. I just think he's so incredible, the things that guy has been able to do, he has given me a lot of WOW moments! I guess I'll just have to hold onto getting to see him at COI at the end of June and hopefully his tour will come to Winnipeg and then I can at least see him again.

nits
05-31-2002, 08:55 PM
I saw Elvis recently at COI, so I don't miss him yet. :) However, I agree with the above posts. Elvis is a wonderful skater and I will miss him in the future. I really wanted him to medal at the Olympics and felt he was very undermarked.

Shae & Vic Forever
05-31-2002, 10:09 PM
Let's hear it for the E Man! No I dont want to hear it for Eman but for the E Man...ok that was cheezy and ditzy... :oops:

anyway I miss Elvis already too...will so even more at canadians!

Ice Queen
05-31-2002, 10:33 PM
Elvis has always been my personal favorite. I admired the fact that he wasn't afraid, to bring his personality out on to the ice. His strength, determination, competitive nature, mental toughness, and positive attitude are what drove me to follow his career. I've read so many articles on him and have made a list of my favorite quotes. I find Elvis to be a very inspirational person. He would make an excellent motivational speaker.

I live in the US, so we didn't get the Canadian Nationals on tv. So, luckily I was able to purchase a tape. The competition was good, and the tribute to Elvis was wonderful. Watching his emotional reaction made me cry. And every time I watch it I cry. Thinking of all that he endured during his career. His persevered through the bad press, lousy judging, injuries etc. I always made a point to stick up for Elvis, when ever someone bad mouthed him. He is artistic, athletic and an all around good person. I saw him skate in COI earlier this month, and he was awesome!!

ELVIS WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING! :D

tollerfan
06-01-2002, 06:14 AM
An unbelieveably decent and caring man. From the beginning of his career, he was always a supporter of his peers and of up-and-coming Canadian skaters! I'm hoping at some point he will get involved in coaching (and he'd make a terrific motivational/guest speaker). In the meantime, the first opportunity I get I will go to see him skate. I'll miss him terribly when the new amateur season starts. What a man and what a skater!! Thanks again, Elvis!

donnamarie
06-01-2002, 06:21 AM
Elvis will be dearly missed in the eligible ranks, however I hope we see a lot of him as a pro. Look for the Elvis tour to resume this fall, which is always great to see, and hopefully he'll show up on lots of pro events too.

Snowflake3939
06-01-2002, 07:09 AM
For those of us who are going to miss Elvis - I'm going to do something I rarely do - start a new topic! Our favourite Elvis moments!

starlite
06-01-2002, 07:28 PM
[b:9f06fcfb57] :( This thread has gotten me depressed. I miss Elvis too.
I know when next season starts and I'm watching cookie-cutter
skater number 15 doing his same old, same old, I'm going to
miss Elvis even more.[/b:9f06fcfb57]

shopper
06-01-2002, 11:32 PM
well i know elvis was not everyone's favourite but he definitely was mine.
i just loved watching him get on the ice to practise...he always made me smile...
not only a great skater but a really nice person...always had a kind word or a handshake for everyone....
if i never go to another event canadians were absolutely fabulous.. a total week of appreciation for elvis who definitely didn't disappoint.
can't wait to see him in the pro ranks and see him on his tour in nov.

skootz
06-02-2002, 05:49 AM
couldn't of said it better Shopper. Canadians was an awesome week!!!

It was always exciting watching Elvis in competition, he always pushed to the limited and continued to raise the bar.

Lynnet
06-02-2002, 09:39 AM
I miss Elvis too. And even if I see him skate many times as a pro, I will still miss Elvis, the competitive athlete. There was always something special about a competition he was in - I think it raised the bar for the other skaters. His presence always filled the largest arena and when he stood at the beginning of his programs, back straight, head held high with dignity and power, you just knew you were going to see something great.
It was Elvis who opened my eyes to figure skating way back in 1993, and although I have learned to love every discipline and many other skaters, Elvis' retirement has dimmed the lights in every arena just a little for me.

Sammie
06-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Elvis is one of those people you just never want them to grow up, to move on, what a big footprint had has left in skating. He will always be the KING of skating and my heart. I don't think I'll be able to watch eligable skating this year - without him. Not only will it bore me cuz I'm not a skating fan as much as I'm a die hard Elvis fan. If he drives race cars, I'll watch car racing, if he races dirt bikes, I'll pick up a new sport to watch, I didn't usually watch the pro's before but this year there is something fantastic in the pro's - Elvis!! If he goes into movies, I guess I'll just have to go see it, what ever it may be. I do hope that what ever he does with his new found freedom, he choses to be in front of the camera instead of behind it. Elvis isn't gone, we just won't get to see him as much. Hope he didn't through out those tight black pants!!! He wears them SO WELL!! I sure do miss him. I wonder if he realizes just how many people he can influence with just a smile or a wink, a word? The decisions he makes in his life are sure hard for the rest of us to handle sometimes. I just want him to be Happy. That's more important to me than Olympic Gold - for Elvis to happy. That will make me cry tears of joy for him.

ernibear140
06-03-2002, 12:24 PM
I cant wait until his tour...that will be the next time I see him skate I am sure

ernibear140
06-03-2002, 12:27 PM
I cant wait until his tour...that will be the next time I see him skate I am sure

Dragonheart97
06-03-2002, 08:00 PM
[quote:81315e07db="tollerfan"]An unbelieveably decent and caring man. From the beginning of his career, he was always a supporter of his peers and of up-and-coming Canadian skaters! I'm hoping at some point he will get involved in coaching (and he'd make a terrific motivational/guest speaker). In the meantime, the first opportunity I get I will go to see him skate. I'll miss him terribly when the new amateur season starts. What a man and what a skater!! Thanks again, Elvis![/quote:81315e07db]

In a recent interview with Pamela Wallin on Canadian TV, Elvis did indeed say that he'd like to get into motivational speaking. I think he'd be fascinating to listen to, and I'd definitely go check it out of he did anything like that!

LIKathy
06-04-2002, 06:24 PM
This past Sunday I was at COI and I was by the dressing rooms when Elvis comes strolling by and I reached out and touched his arm and said "It's Elvis"! to another person and asked if I could have his picture taken with me which he did and of course, I was tongue-tied and didn't say what I wanted but there will be other opportunites because we are not seeing the last of Elvis......he hasn't left the building yet!! 8)

ss_skater
06-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Thats it, its offical, this is my new happy place ( as well as the Elvis Stojko disscussion board)

Just reading this thread has me in tears. I miss him so much too. I feel your pain!. In my opinion he is like the Wayne Gretzky of Figure Skating. HE really changed the world of mens figure skating.

When i was watching the tribute to him at Nationals this year, i realized that he didn't just mean alot to the fans, but to the rest of Canadian Figure Skaters to. Jamie Sale was crying, Everyone was clapping for him, David Pelletier looked a bit emotional too. We really have witnessed one of the "heros of our time" ( as the olympic pin says). If i had one wish in this world it would be for Elvis to get an Olympic Gold, altough in my eyes he is the greatest skater that ever lived - with or without the olympic gold - i know how much he wanted it. But two silvers must add up to a gold don't ya think?

Okay time to wipe my tears and watch my Elvis tribute tape again, and again and again.[/quote]