View Full Version : Battle of the Carmens

essence_of_soy
05-30-2002, 12:06 AM
I watched a documentary recently about the history of US ladies figure skating. Brian Boitano was quoted as saying that if Debi Thomas hadn't given up after two-footing the second triple toe loop in her 3toe/3toe combination at the Olympics, she could still have won.

What do the rest of you familiar with the Calgary 88 Games think?

I thought Debi was brilliant that year at US Nationals and couldn't be touched, by the way. Trenary was amazing in Denver, too. I thought it was her best constructed free skating program.

Nick

Aussie Willy
05-30-2002, 12:32 AM
I don't just think it was the combination. Debi basically gave up on the program and made too many small silly errors on the landings of her jumps. That is why Manley was able to pull ahead too. After US Nationals Debi wanted to prepare for the Olympics one way and those above her said she had to do it another. So she got really stressed and her training was not very good before the Olympics.

I am not sure that she would have won against Katerina. Debi had the best SP and was still placed second. I don't know if the judges would have gone with her. The only time Debi beat Katerina at worlds was when Witt was fourth in figures and had to pull up.

lrng to skt
05-30-2002, 01:35 AM
Witt was the quintessential Carmen - I think Thomas would have done better with a different program and better nerves...g