View Full Version : An interesting thing I just learned about Sarah

rack
11-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Last night I finally got around to watching the videotape of the Long Island TV station's coverage of Sarah Hughes' Great Neck parade (what can I tell you- I'm behind on my videotapes).

It turned out that before Sarah spoke, Robin Wagner spoke briefly. She told about being on the road with Sarah, travelling around the world together. And she told the following interesting anecdote.

Robin said that it was their habit, right before a competition, to sit around in the hotel room that she shared with her husband, and she, her husband (Jerry Grossman I think- I'm pretty sure about the Jerry part) and Sarah would discuss recent NY Times columns and world events, anything but skating. But, she said, before the Olympic long program, Sarah asked Jerry what would have to happen for her to win the gold. Jerry replied that she would have to skate to perfection, and that Irina would have to have higher scores than Michelle but not as high as Sarah. And Sarah's response was something to the effect of, "I can do that."

I found the story intriguing because for all the talk that Sarah skated clean because she was in fourth place and felt no pressure to go for the gold. It would seem the gold was on her mind after all.

There was also a neat moment when Sarah was speaking, saying nice things about Robin and Robin got teary eyed. Mrs. Hughes, who was sitting next to Robin, dug out a tissue and handed it to her, then got one for herself. A few moments later, when Sarah was saying loving things about her mother, Mrs. Hughes got teary, and Robin offered her the tissue back (but Mrs. Hughes indicated she had her own).

Another fun moment (I guess this is turning into a report, but believe me, the coverage was three hours long, and you're all getting a very abridged version): The kids from Sarah's class gave her a Great Neck North tee shirt. Sarah unfolded it and saw that on the back it said 02. She was quite taken aback, and said something like "2?" Her classmates immediately assured her it referred to 2002 and not her placement at the Olympics.

And one final thing (only because I'm a younger sister and identify with all younger sisters). When the entire Hughes family came out for the presentations and speeches, the TV commentator called Taylor Hughes, Sarah's youngest sister, Tara. Not once, but twice. If that had happened to me, it would have doubled the amount of time I spent in therapy!
:D

CMc
11-27-2002, 11:59 PM
Rack,
That moment when Sarah indignantly (but not seriously) replies "Number 2?!" is SO funny!
I LOVE the laugh she got from the crowd!

About the talks she had with Robin and Jerry--Well, Sarah probably isn't going to just say to everybody up-front "I only wanted the gold medal and I didn't do it for the performance". With Sarah, you probably have someone who is 50% driven to acheive a goal and 50% taking things at face value. I totally believe her when she says she just skated to skate that night, but she had nothing to lose after being in 4th place after the SP, so she must have believed in loose karma or something! :lol:

BTW rack, where'd you get your copy of the parade? News 12 LI?
Great tape, even though they got Taylor's name wrong on the station (And to think Rebecca Hughes actually worked for them)!

rack
11-28-2002, 06:42 AM
My cousin Ellen who lives in Great Neck (and attended the parade) taped the News12 coverage and gave me the tape.

Happy Thanksgiving!

CMc
11-28-2002, 08:28 AM
Cool! Happy T'sgiving to you too!:D

nits
11-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the Sarah info. It certainly puts a different spin on her win at SLC. I remember she stated she didn't think she had a chance at gold and was skating for fun. This reminds me of the story about Tara Lipinski going to her parents hotel at Nagano and telling them "I'm gonna do it." Very interesting.
Hope to see Sarah at Nationals. :)

Thrilla
11-30-2002, 10:17 AM
I think it is a wonderful indication of just how intelligent Sarah is. That girl amazes me with her composure and determination, but also with her strong belief in herself, even under pressure.
Sarah seems to have always believed she could do it, even when most everybody else believed she couldnt.
That belief is one of the reasons she was able to pull it off.
I am impressed!