View Full Version : wearing wrist weights?

yogurtslinger
11-15-2002, 09:21 PM
I just read an interesting article. What do you guys think? Would wearing wrist weights actually help with skating? Or, perhaps the author wasn't too familiar with skating, and was just trying to think of sports which would involve jumping. The thing is, skating jumps are about angular momentum, not just about horizontal displacement... so would wearing wrist weights still help? We're actually learning rotational motion in physics right now 8-) ... and there are two pictures of Michelle in our text book (1 where she's in a spiral... linear motion; and 1 where she's in the middle of an upright spin- rotational motion). Interesting, ain't it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/hsn/20021114/hl_hsn/performance_boosting_goes_back_to_ancient_olympics

roogu
11-15-2002, 09:59 PM
I've never heard of wearing wrist weights BUT I HAVE seen dancers use ankle weights when they train .. particularly during stroking. I guess wrist/ankle weights are the same thing basically ... they're the blue ones with the black stripe/velcro down the middle. Marina Zueva does this with a lot of her teams. Perhaps that's why her teams look like they fly when they stroke!!!

VGL
11-16-2002, 01:34 PM
You could try asking the posters in the "On-Ice - Skaters Chat" section of the board.