View Full Version : Bourne and Kraatz' Error At The End Of Their Olympic Long Pr

Peter G
05-26-2002, 08:11 PM
[color=green:7f19a64ed0]This is probably pretty obvious, but I'm going to ask it anyway. What exactly was the error that caused Bourne and Kraatz' fall at the Olympics?

I have watched that part of their program about five times. I'm guessing that it was lack of focus on Victor's part. Perhaps excitement about bettering Fusar-Poli to get an elusive Olympic medal?

I guess I'm still in shock. It seems like such a simple error, but SO costly. Was Victor simply off-balance? Or is their a possibility that it was Shae-Lynn's error, she could have been off-balance or maybe pushed too hard, causing Victor to fall backwards.

It seems like this last move of their program was difficult enough that both would remain focus. If it was Victor's error, his lack of focus could have hurt Shae-Lynn. For that very reason, I would expect Victor to definitely be focussed at that time. So again, what happened doesn't make sense to me.

I've wanted to post this for a long time (at fsworld...am I allowed to mention fsworld here? hee hee hee!), now it's done! Looking forward to your responses.[/color:7f19a64ed0]

Xiaoxue
05-26-2002, 09:56 PM
I do believe that Victor was too excited and forgot to breathe. You know what i mean. He didn't breathe properly, and so he ran out of steam, lost his focus and was not able to control the lift.

That is a very difficult lift, because of the momentum. Also, Shae is not Elena B. She is not petite. That's why it's so important for Vic to control his upper-body and maintain balance.

Perhaps Shae kicked a bit too hard. Perhaps the timing was off and she kicked too early, before Vic could get the balance right. Who knows?

Shae did say in the post comp interview that they were too excited and lost their focus.

Peter G
06-09-2002, 12:21 AM
[color=orange:b5569e18ac]I'm hoping someone else will offer some thoughts about this.

In other words, bump![/color:b5569e18ac]

Lee
06-09-2002, 10:22 AM
I don't have this on tape, but from what I remember it was '6 of one, half a dozen of the other'... It looked to me like Shae maybe kicked too hard for the second 'kick,' but Victor also already looked 'off-balance' going into the second kick. Probably, as Shae said, the 'both' lost some focus...

zowie
06-16-2002, 06:55 PM
You know its funny, but while I was watching it on tv, I could tell that they were going to have an error. Victor just looked 'off' or maybe I should say unbalanced during the last few seconds. I remember thinking before the fall occurred ' not an error now'!

It just seemed they looked a bit wild and therefore became unbalanced after the first lift. They were trying so hard to go all out and you could tell. Too bad, I am still disappointed, I was hoping they would have gotten the bronze.

IrishDancer
06-16-2002, 07:54 PM
[quote:70dc2619a9="zowie"]You know its funny, but while I was watching it on tv, I could tell that they were going to have an error.[/quote:70dc2619a9]

Me too. When they were going round the second time, I thought Victor looked a little off-balance, and I remember putting my hands over my eyes (never an event passes without me doing so) and saying, "Oh no!"

IdmaIjan
06-17-2002, 04:39 PM
I've watched the end of Shae Lynn and Vic's freedance a few times. In my opinion, it looks like Shae Lynn was way too exuberant at the end, thinking they had the bronze medal. She seemed to just throw herself at Vic in a very uncontrolled fashion and the poor guy was literally caught off guard. I found it annoying the way she kissed him while they were lying on the ice. It was if she was saying it's ok that [i:308c4670de]you[/i:308c4670de] screwed up.

My opinion: Shae Lynn caused the fall and cost them the bronze. But when you're a team it's best not to place blame. The team fell and the mistake is owned by both partners.

¤Sweetie¤
06-17-2002, 05:53 PM
[quote:73f7ec5455="IdmaIjan"]

My opinion: Shae Lynn caused the fall and cost them the bronze. But when you're a team it's best not to place blame. The team fell and the mistake is owned by both partners.[/quote:73f7ec5455]

[size=9:73f7ec5455][color=indigo:73f7ec5455]As much as I respect your opinion (and I do), I don't agree with it. It was both of their faults. Shae-Lynn got overexcited, and Victor had a bad turn on the first part of the lift.[/color:73f7ec5455][/size:73f7ec5455]

BootyDancer
06-19-2002, 08:30 PM
I'm going to have to agree with IdmaIjan, I remember watching them (and have watched my tape of their FD several times since the Games) and thinking that Shae seemed to fling herself at Victor. Shae Lynn seemed out of control, and I thought "Oh, poor Victor...I hope she doesn't hurt him."

It was scary to see. For a dancer, Shae isn't all that petite. I was mostly concerned at the time for Victor's safety.