View Full Version : Your Three Most Favourite Moments In Figure Skating

Peter G
06-01-2002, 11:48 PM
[color=indigo:0d11859cba]Pick three that mean the most to you. Doesn't have to be a performance!

For me:

1. Oksana Baiul's performances at the 1994 Olympics. The Nancy/Tonya scandal brought me to skating, performances like Oksana's made me stay.

2. Shae-Lynn Bourne signing autographs at the 1996 World Championships. After the dance practice, Shae signed autographs for fans near the far end of the rink. The zamboni was going around cleaning the ice. Shae stayed. After everyone had their autograph, she went to skate off the ice. At the next aisle, people screamed for her to stop...she did. The zamboni was coming at her, she skated around it and continued signing autographs. She tried to leave the ice again, the next aisle of people wanted autographs. She stopped again. An official skated over to her, probably to ask her to leave the ice. Shae kept signing. The last aisle, another big group of people. Staff practically had to DRAG her off the ice. But she was not going to let anyone down, she stayed on the ice until someone led her off.

There were no cameras on her. Nobody reporting this back to a mass public that would make her look good in the press. Just a fan noticing from his seat. Needless to say, I've been a fan ever since.

3. Rudy Galindo's 1996 season. As a gay man, it meant a lot to see an openly gay person do so well. He skated brilliantly at Nationals and at Worlds. Loved seeing the rainbow flag in the Edmonton Coliseum!

And yours?[/color:0d11859cba]

Smiley
06-02-2002, 07:57 AM
My three favourite skating moments......

1. Sarah Hughes Olympics Free Skate. it was brillant and no one can say it wasn't!! :D heehee The joy, the speed and the pure quality of her moves, wonderufl

2. Elvis winning his 3rd World title, in Switzerland. His free program was amazing!!! A true Elvis move to pull up from 4th to gold!!

3. Naomi Nari Nam 1999 Us Nationals!!!!!I don't think I have to explain! ;)

nits
06-02-2002, 08:24 AM
Tie for number one: Michelle Kwan's LP performances at World '00, '01. Those judges were just waiting to give the gold to Irina, but Michelle skated brilliantly and couldn't be denied.
number 2: Alexei Yagudin's performance at Skate Canada '00...AWESOME!!
number 3: Michelle's LP at Nationals '98 AND Elvis's World Championships..HE is amazing as well.

Badams
06-02-2002, 09:14 AM
my favorites are...

1. Michelle's long and short at '96 worlds. :D

2. tara and michelle's 98 olympic performances. 2 absolutely WONDERFUL performances by american ladies. i would NOT want to have been on that judging panel! :P

3. this years american nationlas...all i can say is WOW!!!! 8O 8O 8O

Xiaoxue
06-02-2002, 10:20 AM
Peter G, thanks for sharing that story about Shae-Lynn.

Here are mine:
1. Kurt after his free skate at '94 Olys.

2. S/P at the Olys, at the end of their free skate while they were still on the ice, before all the bad stuff happened. That was and Olympic moment for me.

3. B/K at the GP Final when they were so shocked to find that they had WON!!!

PatC
06-02-2002, 10:47 AM
1988 Olys - Midori Ito's free skate.

It was totally thrilling to watch. She still - to me in that performance - represents the best that the sport can be.

I have a ton of other favorite moments, Kurt Browning - so many, Elvis, Todd, Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Sale & Pelletier, B&S, Kristina Czako's The Addams Family program, Debi Thomas and the Sabre Dance..............and on and on..........:)

Oracle
06-02-2002, 11:11 AM
I have a ton of favorite moments but settled on these 3
1-Boitano winning the '88 Olympics
2-Eldredge winning '96 Worlds
3-Eldredge winning '01 Worlds Bronze medal
:D

essence_of_soy
06-02-2002, 11:41 AM
Great Question, Peter G!

Not really 3 moments, but times I will remember and cherish forever.

1. Attending Junior Worlds when they came to Australia in December 1987. Was an amazing event, especially seeing Yamaguchi and Galindo win with a pairs free skate that wasn't equalled technically for more than a decade.

2. 2001 Worlds. Again. Amazing skating and atmosphere. Those Canadians really know how to put on a show!

3. 1994 US Nationals in Detroit. I would never have believed it if the drama didn't unfold personally in front of my eyes. Having said that, the performances of Scott Davis and Elaine Zayak were extraordinary.

Nick

leap of faith
06-02-2002, 11:59 AM
Excellent topic!!

1993 worlds - Izzy and Lloyd finally win the pairs. Kurt wins, Elvis is second and with Marcus Christiansen 10th we had the best men's team in the world that year. Oh those were the days. Add in the whole go back to 1962 magic where we won in pairs and guys in Prague. The potential for a great moment was there and everyone delivered!

Kurt's 1994 Olympics LP. Forget the medals, forget all problems. By itself it's a wonderful farewell to the amateur world and moment Canadian fans won't soon forget.

Sale and Pelletier's Olympic competition- before the problems. I was sitting in my seat here, it was getting pretty late, felt I was going to throw up. So nervous and they just hit everything and at the end it was like a pause, then elated joy.

Artistic Skaters
06-02-2002, 12:00 PM
1 - John Curry, Olympics 1976
2 - John Curry brings skating into the theatre with the John Curry Company
3 - Brian Orser, World Championships, Cincinnati 1987

Lucy25
06-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Hmmm...only three? This is tough.

1. Practically every time Michelle Kwan skates (there are too many to choose from!)
2. Meno and Sand winning World bronze with "Nessum Dorma".
3. Paul Wylie winning Olympic silver with "Henry 5".

I also loved:
- S&P 2001 World's LP and win.
- Kristi Yamaguchi's "Blue Danube" SP at 92 Olympics.
- Todd Eldredge's 96 World's LP and win.
- Nancy Kerrigan's 94 Olympic LP.

Scate-Cat
06-02-2002, 01:11 PM
1. When Maria won her gold medal in 1999 worlds
2. Mandy and Ingos bronzemedal win in 1998 Olympics
3. Alexeis Olympic gold medal

TracyPA
06-02-2002, 06:28 PM
1.Peggy Fleming winning the gold medal-1968 in Grenoble, France. It was so long ago but I think she fell or made a mistake in her long program. I thought- Oh no!-but she won and it was just thrilling.

2.Tara winning the gold medal in 1998. She was my favorite-a lot of spunk and consistent in her jumps. But then she had a poor showing at Nationals and everyone said no way she could beat Michelle. I was watching Imus that morning when news came over the wire she won. I could not believe it!

3. Sasha Cohen's short program at National's this year. So beautiful! She took your breath away!

dieKnuddelige
06-02-2002, 07:23 PM
[color=blue:2c418bbf83]1. Midori Ito landing the triple axel during her free skate in Albertville (1992).
2. Midori Ito's entire free skate in Calgary (1988).
3. Mishketounik and Dmitriev's free skate in Lillehammer (1994).
Sorry, I didn't mean to limit it to three favorite "Olympic" moments... :cry: [/color:2c418bbf83]

Suzanne
06-02-2002, 07:45 PM
1) Meeting my childhood idol (Karen Magnussen) twice at Worlds in Vancouver last year.

2) Getting on-ice seats for Skate the Nation in Oshawa last year -- the whole performance was sooooo wonderful from those seats!! I saw Yags, B & K, Orser, Josee, ......!!! And got some great photos too!

3) Okay, there are too many others for me to pick just one more! But if I *have* to.... it'd be Liz Manley's LP at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary. Her reaction STILL makes me smile!

Dustin
06-02-2002, 07:50 PM
1. 1998 Olympics: Tara Lipinski. I was 12 and I had liked her after watching 1996 Worlds. I was very happy when I heard she won that night on the radio on the way to the ice rink. :)

2. 2002 Olympics: Sasha Cohen's short program. This was her very best performance - joy, polish, confidence - everything!

3. 2002 Olympics: Alexei Yagudin. He had by far the best men's long program I have ever seen and he definately deserved that gold.

seahag
06-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Dorothy Hamill's Olympic Gold Medal

Torville & Dean's performance of "Bolero"

Scott Hamilton's Olympic Gold Medal

What can I say? I'm old.

lBrokenAnkle
06-02-2002, 08:19 PM
I have to agree about Midori's 1988 LP, I will never forget her expression as her beautiful smile grew bigger and bigger, not the sheer joy and brilliance of her skating

Also, Elvis' 1994 SP, the first time I saw him and what really got me firmly and irrevocably into skating

Finally, Michelle's 1999 Exhibition Red Violin. I know she did not win that year, but this was perhaps the best exhibition program I have ever seen and I was so glad she used it as her LP the next year.

Laura

Show 42
06-02-2002, 08:27 PM
So many, so many.......top three

Paul Wylie's Olympic silver win
Michelle's first World Title
G and G's 94 Olympic win

ElvisStojkofan
06-02-2002, 08:53 PM
1. 1996 Nationals: You felt magic through the TV Screen when Rudy Galindo step on the ice. His program was just awesome! It was unquestionable how artistic he was and his choreography was really, really great.

2. 1996 Worlds: When Elvis came back after a bad short program and made a statement that he wasn't washed up as the media made him out to be

3. 1999 US Nationals: when Naomi Nari Nam skated his long program and made every element important at such a young age. She had the spark, charisma and elegance that all skaters longed for. I especially like that she was happy with her Performance and didn't whine when she didn't win the gold b/c she knew she lacked the experience and maturity of Michelle Kwan. She was just happy with her performance

--------------------
Elvis Stojko: Heart of Gold
http://heartofgold.topcities.com

Snowflake3939
06-02-2002, 09:35 PM
1. 1984 Olympics - Bolero!!!!! Need I say more?

2. 1973 Worlds - Karen Magnussen finally getting what she deserved - the gold medal.

3. 1984 Worlds - Barb & Paul's win on home ice.

Rachael
06-02-2002, 10:30 PM
Timmy winning that Olympic medal! I was and still am SOOOOOO proud and happy!
Tonia's final amauter skate at 98 Worlds. I''m so glad she got to go out in style.
Sarah's Olympic free skate!

AxelAnnie22
06-03-2002, 10:10 AM
1. Watching Sasha Cohen skate for the first time. (her 2000 Nats sp)

2. Tara's LP at Nagano, and her joy at winning.

3. Lu Lu's skates at Nagano, and her wonderful acknowledgement to her coaches as she left the ice.

kwanette
06-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Only three?

1. 1998 Nationals, Michelle Kwan both performances. I had the good fortune of being there and I feel honored to have witnessed such perfection.

2. Rudy Galindo's 96 Nationals ...A big Todd fan am I, but seeing Rudy do the impossible was a joy to behold. That lp changed his future in skating and i am thrilled that he is still performing.

3. Michelle Kwan Fields of Gold 02 Olympics exhibition One of skating's bittersweet moments and a performance which may have surpassed anything Michelle has done to date. I have never been moved or touched more by a skating performance.

Honorable mention:Michelle Kwan 98 World Pros, Ariane and East of Eden, Michelle Kwan, ethereal perfection, 00 Nationals Hands exhibition, after shaky performances she came out and did what she does best...pure skating. 99 TRV exhibition at Worlds, lost the title won the "skating" award, 00 and 01 Worlds lp, came from behind to win with 2 perfect performances, EOE sp 01 Nats, vintage Kwan...so many more...

Brian Boitano sp and lp 88 Olympics, masterful...Todd Eldredge so many, 96 Worlds, 02 Nats, Elvis Stojko 01 Skate Canada, "I'm back."Yagudin lp 02 Worlds, Tiffiny Chin 84 Olympics, sp, the girl had "it."Almost anything ever done by Paul Wylie...92 OLY sp.

adrianchew
06-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Here's my 3...

1) 2002 US Nationals post-podium ceremony, getting Sasha to autograph the banner I had. Of course I was too Sasha-struck to say anything much - just managed to mutter a "Congrats" and hand her a pen - she looked the banner over some, I heard her say "Wow" too. :oops:

2) S&P and B&S in the 2nd medal ceremony when S&P got their gold medals - that was definitely a historic moment for figure skating.

3) G&G at 1994 Olympics.

I would have to say the saddest memorable moments in skating would have to be...

1) When Sergei Grinkov passed away. :cry:

2) The 1961 US team plane crash (which will probably be on top of the list for those that lived through that period). :cry:

Can't think of a 3rd currently.

scooter133
06-03-2002, 11:11 AM
1) 2002 Olympics - It was so great to see so many excellent skaters turn in amazing performances in every discipline, right here in my home country. My only disappointment from SLC was that B&K didn't make the podium.

2) 2002 Worlds - I really enjoyed seeing skaters like Shen & Zhao, Ina & Zimmerman, and Fumie Suguri reach milestones in their careers. Without many of the Olympic medalists present, we really got to see what we have to look forward to in the next four years.

3) 1994 & 1998 Olympics - I love the Olympics as it is, but it's awesome to see all these skaters put everything they've got into their programs in hopes of reaching their goals. This event is truly set apart from all others.

RoseAugust
06-03-2002, 11:17 AM
1. Michelle Kwan's LP at World's '00

2. Rudy Galindo's LP at National's '96

3. Any figureskating I was able to watch on Wide World of Sports as I was growing up.

ernibear140
06-03-2002, 12:11 PM
Meeting Alexei at Skate The Nation last month

Listening to Elvis talk at the Q&A at Worlds last year

Alexei (and the men in CSOI) surprising the audience with the Can Can number

ernibear140
06-03-2002, 12:12 PM
Meeting Alexei at Skate The Nation last month

Listening to Elvis talk at the Q&A at Worlds last year

Alexei (and the men in CSOI) surprising the audience with the Can Can number

The Village Idiot
06-03-2002, 04:16 PM
1) '98 OOOOO's - Michelle after her long - before the final result. Admit it - we all thought she had the gold. Such joy and elation...

2) '02 OOOOO's Exhibition - MK's FoG - augh! How could you not cry? At the first "oooooohhhhhhh...you'll remember me" - I completely lost it.

3) '92 OOOOO's - Paul - 'nuff said.

honorary mention #1) '94 OOOOO's - Kurt LP - 'nuff said

honorary mention #2) '98 US Nationals - as soon as Michelle landed that 3 Flip in her short - I don't think I've ever jumped higher or screamed louder in my life. She was falling on that darn thing all week!

honorary mention #3) '02 OOOOO's - I&Z after their LP - OMG! So overshadowed by the judging controversy - but (both) their performances were amazing and unexpected!!!! Definitely should've been 4th but oh well...

honorary mention #4) - '02 OOOOO's - Todd's LP - just good for him!

Ok, I don't know how to count - shoot me. There are so many more! (Kristi landing the sal at '92 Nats, her 3Lutz/3toe combo at Albertville) and I do feel bad that they are so OOOOO related - you'd think I was a better skating fan than that!

Ximena
06-03-2002, 04:36 PM
My three favorites moments:

1. When Plushenko won the world championship 2001, I was so great when he end up his free program and he kind of realize that he won and he was celebrtaing and close to tears!! and when he saw his marks!!! that whole event was the most wonderful moment to me

2. SLC Olympics: Of course with the exception of Plushenko not winning, but it was a great great great olympic

3. When Sarah Hughes won the free program, I'm not a fan of her but she was so happy that was impossible not to be happy for her.

icenut84
06-03-2002, 05:11 PM
Only three? This is hard... I've thought about it and I have to choose four!

1) Torvill and Dean in their 1994 Olympics free dance, Let's Face The Music and Dance. After everything they had gone through in the run-up to those games, and it really was the performance of their lives. It certainly cemented my love of skating. :) And as soon as they finished, with that amazing somersault, and both had such infectious faces of joy and relief, and Chris pulled Jayne into an enormous hug, the audience giving them a deafening standing ovation. :mrgreen:

2) Sale and Pelletier in the Kiss n Cry at 2001 Worlds. That's gotta be one of the sweetest moments ever! They were so overjoyed! I can't help laughing when I watch it, it's adorable! And when Jamie throws that pig into the air and David starts crying, AWWWW!!!

3) Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold, 2002 Olympics Exhibition. I agree with whoever else said it, it was so bittersweet and so poignant. Especially when it goes "You'll remember me..." I think it was on that line when she was on one knee, after just doing the hydroblade, that she started crying. That's how it looked to me anyway. Beautiful choreography.

4) Tara Lipinski, 1998 Olympics long program. It really was the performance of her life. Her joy was so evident all the way through. Her face at the end when she did a spontaneous sprint across the ice with her arms raised was so sweet, and the Kiss n Cry was what the Olympics are all about. IMO one of the best moments ever is when she saw her scores and her first-place marks and started screaming, jumping up and down. It must be the most amazing feeling.

skelly
06-03-2002, 06:38 PM
The television moments are too many to count, beginning with Dorothy Hamill's Olys win and continuing through Boitanos Olys win, Oksana Baiul at '93 Worlds, Krylova and Ovsiannikov's Masquerade Waltz...too many to count. So I'll stick to what I have seen live that I felt was special:

1. 1996 National, ladies final. Bobek leaves in tears, injured; Kwan nails everything (no matter how tilted) in one of my favorite programs, Salome; and tiny Lipinski, in a bright red dress, twirls like the ballerina on a jewelry box. What a night!

2. Stars on Ice, Red Hat program. Christopher Dean, allowed to let loose with a seamless ensemble of some of the best skaters in the business... I don't think SOI has ever topped this one.

3. 1996 Nationals, men's practice. I stood at the far end of the rink, my baby daughter in a front pack, waving her legs, all excited. Todd Eldredge spots us, grins, and lands a triple right in front of us. I'm not sure who found that more thrilling, my daughter or I, as I clapped our hands and cheered. :D

SShaste
06-03-2002, 10:23 PM
Ok I can't help it mine are all Elvis moments, lol.

1. 1995 Elvis Tour - after the show I was standing by the tour bus with a crowd of people getting autographs. When Elvis came out he was signing autographs as he was walking to the bus, when he got to the door of the bus someone (tour manager??) told him he needed to go. I was standing just a few feet away and hadn't got an autograph yet. As he started to walk up the steps of the bus I screamed out his name and he turned around and I screamed out asking if I could get his autograph and he got back off the bus and signed my tour book for me and I got a picture with him.

2. 1997 GPF - Elvis landing the quad-triple for the first time and then repeating it again at the Worlds.

3. 1998 Olympics - seeing Elvis walk to the podium in his shoes to get his Silver medal after a tremendous performance in unbelievable pain. (Even though I wished he wouldn't have had to go through that)

Honorable Mentions:

- 1996 Worlds - Todd winning the Gold
- 2002 Olympics - Jamie and David's LP

loveskating
06-04-2002, 09:41 AM
This makes you think...LOL!

1. Seeing Ilia Kulik skate live for the first time...I could not believe my own eyes -- I didn't realize how huge his skating was, from his jumps to his stroking, how he filled the rink, made me feel I was right on the ice with him

2. Oksana Baiul's Swan Lake short program at 94 Olympics, one of the most beautiful, original programs full of difficulty and quality that I've ever seen;

3. Torvil & Dean's Bolero at the Olympics...absolute perfection in every way, just made my cry with joy!

Hon. Mentions: Mishketunok & Demietriev's Rach LP at the 94 Olympics; G&G anytime; Sasha Cohen at U.S. Nationals, 2002 and the first time I saw her do an Ina Bauer right up into a 3 sal; Klimova & Pommanarenko's Romeo & Juliet anytime; B&S at Cup of Russia, skating the City Lights program, in 2002...probably the best pairs skating I've ever seen; Brian Boitano skating to Nessun Dorma; Yagudin at Skate Canada in 2001; Plushenko's first landing of the 4/3/2; Irina's landing of the first woman's 3 lutz/3 loop at GP Finals in 2000; seeing Lang & Tchernachev's Carmen OD this year at Natioanls...a masterpiece IMHO, and they skated the living heck out of it...made me cry because I've never seen anyone capture the essence of those characters on the ice as they did with their movement (not faces)!

CzarinaAnnie
06-04-2002, 03:02 PM
[color=red:e51f4426ea] The first Olympics I ever saw in 1994 left a lasting impression
1.Alexei Urmanov winning the Gold at the Olympics
2.Oksana Baiul's win at Olympics
3.Alexei Yagudin winning the Gold at 2002 Olympics
[/color:e51f4426ea] There are plenty more favorite moments I have.

Corey
06-04-2002, 06:04 PM
:halo: [color=violet:1d904ac8e9][/color:1d904ac8e9]My favorite moment were
1. My dad taking me to see Stars On Ice
2. Tim bronze medal at the Olympics
3. Sarah winning the Olympics

Panther2000
06-05-2002, 09:58 PM
[i:2651256008][color=blue:2651256008]I will try
1) Us Nationals. Michelles Perfect LP program.
2) Torvell (sp)& Dean Their 1984 Olympic program. Classic

3) Alexei Yagudin's SP & LP at the 02 Olympics. Unbeliveable. :P 8O [/color:2651256008]

[/i:2651256008]

shine
06-05-2002, 11:56 PM
1. Watching Michelle's LP from 2000 Worlds...what can I say, the planets just aligned for her that night!
2. Seeing Alexei's "Winter" for the first time at 2001 Skate Canada. I literally started crying and shaking half way through his performance... I still remember the feeling of the chills...seeing it the first time was probably the biggest impact a skating program has ever made on me.
3. Tara's Olympic LP and that Olymic scream. I agree with icenut84...that must be the most amazing feeling. To go all out like that without even knowing how you would skate or what medal you would get, but then skate so brilliantly, so care-free, and so full of joy and passion...and then realizing in a shock that the biggest dream of your life has just come true; it didn't even make sense to you at first, you thought it was impossible...it must be such an amazing feeling, and it''s an once-in-a-lifetime thing...not everyone has the privilege of experiencing that.
Honorabe mention: Michelle's LP at 98 Nationals, watching East of Eden for the first time and witnessing Paul Wylie's Olympic silver win. Also watching Midori Ito land the first 3axel in ladies skating history.

ss_skater
06-07-2002, 08:17 AM
hmmm so many to choose from

1)Elvis at the 95 world, a quote from the team doctor " he had no business walking let a lone winning a world title" He really showed how much heart, determination, and grit he had.

2) Elvis at 97 world, the headlines the year before read "Elvis is Dead" and after he placed 4th in the short people were saying similar things, then he came back in the long, blew the roof of the rink in switzerland, landing a beautiful quad - triple, and won the gold. That was a last time a non - russian won the gold in mens skating!

3) Michelle winning here first (of many) world championships in 1996, she was so happy, i will never forget her tears of joy, and her excitement!

ILoveAllSkaters
06-08-2002, 06:51 PM
I have lots!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I have to pick just 3?

OK, here you go:
1. Paul Wylie's "Why God Why" (1992 Challenge of Champions)
2. Michelle Kwan's "Salome" (1996 worlds)
3. Michelle Kwan's "Scheherazade" (2002 US Nationals)

bcskater
06-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Sarahs long pr. in SLC / the drama of the whole last flight

jamie & daves long pr. in SLC.

shae & vics long pr. at the GPF.

special mention----
sashas short pr. in SLC
jennifers long pr. at '02 worlds
elvis' skate at '02 canadians

*i no i forgot a lot of them but oh well.

ChicaTica
06-11-2002, 12:02 PM
My favorite live skating moments in no particular order:

1) Elaine Zayak's LP at 1994 Nationals (what an amazing comeback)
2) Scott Davis' LP at 1994 Nationals (when he unexpectedly beat Boitano)
3) Michelle's SP at 2000 Nationals (absolutely breathtaking)
3a) Michelle's LP at 1992 Nationals (where she fell on everything-- makes me appreciate how far she has come, how hard she has worked, and that she is a living legend)

Well, I almost kept it at three :wink:
--ChicaTica

olivia
06-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Very VERY difficult, but here goes . . .

1. Dorothy Hamil winning her Olympic Gold. I was young, impressionable. Dorothy was perfect in my eyes, and I can remember being so incredibly happy she won. Watching the Olympics in those days was truly a remarkable, unforgettable experience.

2. Battle of the Brians . . . both skaters and their LPs. WOW! I'll never forget Boitano ending his program and his expression of total shock, then complete triumph, and then utter joy.

3. Michelle Kwan's 1996 Worlds victory. Not so much the win, but the fact that it really felt like the beginning of a new era in figure skating with so much promise for the future.

O-

spiralsrfun
06-11-2002, 02:47 PM
This is tough...there have been so many special moments for so many skaters. I've enjoyed reading everyone's choices. Here are some that were special for me.

3-tie) Battle of the Brians - All I can say is WOW and Rudy Galindo's 1996 Nationals LP performance

2-tie) 1996 World ladies LP - Lulu and Michelle were AMAZING and Michelle's 1998 Nationals performances

1) Michelle's SLC "Fields of Gold" exhibition - a profile in courage and fragile emotion

bcskater
06-12-2002, 01:06 AM
today i watched a tape of michelles long pr. at '02 nationals---------- WOW! it gets me everytime! lol, its like the perfect program! despite the missing 3/3, but it just builds and builds and BUILDS! every little turn and movement is just awesome!
it would have been amazing to have been there in person

JD
06-12-2002, 03:12 PM
1. Moonlight Sonata (G and G)

2. Mahler (Katia Gordeeva)

3. Elvis (end of LP) Nagano

4. Tears in Heaven (Brasseur and Eisler)

5. Anastasia---Tara Lipinski Nagano

6. Last skate by Underhill/Martini ---what was that song they skated to in Toronto at the end???

Miezekatze
06-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Ok, three:

- When Sale & Pelletier won Worlds

- When Fusar Poli & Margaglio won Worlds

- When Woetzel & Steuer won Worlds

Mistyeyed
06-13-2002, 05:06 AM
:lol: Okay! Here's Mine.

1. I lOVED when Michelle K. made World Champion after skating to Salome. When she stood upon the podium it was just so obvious that here stood greatness>Michelle my Fav. skater of all time!!!!!!

2. When Rudy G. FINALLY won himself a National Title. I didn't even know who this guy was. I was just flipping thru the channels and I stopped to watch. I was transfixed just watching him and even though I knew nothing about him, I sat there in my living room crying and smiling with him. My hubby told me I was nutz!!!! (Oh, well so goes the life of a figure skating fan) 8) 8) I certainly never forgot him after that!

and (3) thirdly but not least was:

When Jamie and David got their medals!! Oh and Yags too! I was just too beside myself with him winning Gold. I just WUV YAGSSSSSSS!!!!!! and when LU Chen got her Bronze at the Olympics and she fell to the ice in heartfelt thanks and somebody stop me or I will go on forever....................... :wink:

CMc
06-13-2002, 05:40 PM
This is very difficult since I probably have a few that I can only remember vaguely--I'll save the most obvious for last! :wink:

1) [b:d34ee6a909]Stars On Ice (1998-99 tour)[/b:d34ee6a909]--The show I saw was in April of '99 in Albany, and I remember what a pleasure it was to see my all-time favorite group performance called "Nosin' Around" from beginning to end (Tara Lipinski being a mere extra at the beginning of it off to the side before the piece centered on her character), and what a great, electrifying experience to see Mr. Scott Hamilton performing live, in his element, working the crowd to a blistering frenzy as he did his trademark backflip at the end!

2) [b:d34ee6a909]Nancy Kerrigan (Free skate at 1994 Olympics)[/b:d34ee6a909]--I don't even remember what her elements were, but I remember her doing a mostly clean and exciting long program that many believe should have earned her a gold medal (Would have been a rather poignant reward as well after enduring a horrific attack on her a month or so earlier). It didn't happen, but she had the skate of her life anyway.

3) [b:d34ee6a909]Sarah Hughes (Free skate at 2002 Olympics)[/b:d34ee6a909]--Boy, oh, boy, where do I start?? :D Where do I stop is a better question!
All through this thing I'm already resided to the possibility that Sarah will get, at best, a humble but brilliant bronze achievement that she'll still be pleased with, like she was with the bronze at Worlds the previous year--After all, that was her first medal at a senior Worlds, so why not a bronze Olympic one?
She went away from SLC to train in Colorado for the first 2 weeks, and I had no doubt that that whole time she was working her butt off on these programs, especially the one that made her famous!
I can't believe only a year and a half earlier, she was thinking about quitting! That thing with the hand injury put her in such a downhill place that it hurt her pride, and she lost faith in herself. Thank goodness Robin was there to get her back on track.
As for the performance, let's just say I was a mainiac all the way through it! And I bawled like a baby like Sarah and everybody else that night when she won! :lol: