View Full Version : Do we know a history on the moves in Synchro.?

FSWer
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
This question just came to me today....Does anyone know how the moves in Synchro. were founded? Like how did we get the Pinwheel move,the Curcle, Lifts,etc.? Does anyone know if they were all founded by Skaters? Like reg. Freestyle moves? Or how did they origanate? As I can't see Teams coming up with them themselves, or each Team would be doing something way different. Does anyone know an answer to this? Thanks.

Isk8NYC
08-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I would expect that those elements came from professional dancing shows and marching/drill teams.

My mother and her sister were on a Drill team in 1920-1940. (Huge family - 11 kids - so there was always someone on the Drill team.) The Aunties tried to teach us how to do blocks and lines at a family get together back in the late 1960's. It was a hilarious disaster, but made for a great memory.

If you watch Sonja Henie movies from the 1930's and 1940's, the ensemble skaters' choreography includes pinwheels, blocks, circles, etc. With the elaborate costuming, it's dazzling to watch, even in black-and-white.

The discipline used to be called "precision skating" in the 1980's. The ISI had rules and regulations for their synchro/team events. Not sure when the USFSA adopted it as a discipline.