View Full Version : Silent Coach Training Aid

Isk8NYC
08-25-2010, 11:41 AM
This is a interesting. This device allows a coach to "buzz" a student when they do something incorrectly. It's intended to be a reminder for breaking bad habits.

Once the skater got over the shock of being buzzed, I could see it helping to jolt the skater out of the same-old, same-old habit. (Not electrical - just a vibration) In the beginning, they'll just get startled and complain.

There's something about it that feels like dog training to me, which I don't think skaters or parents would appreciate. Better than yelling at them, though. If they have a lot of bad habits, it might be easier to just keep it on until they do something right, hahaha.

http://www.myskatingmall.com/category/262/Training-Aids--Tools/listings/756/Silent-Coach-Teaching-Tool.html
Pricey - $75

icestalker
08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Is this similar to the ankle buzzer thing used for jumps?

I can see it now.
Me- enter backspin, spin 2 revolutions, put left foot down
Coach- BUZZZZZZZZZZ
Repeat 100x.

Good thing it's not electrical.. because I don't react well to electric shock. Just brushing a low setting hotwire meant to deter dogs will send my muscles into complete shutdown for three or four minutes.

I don't approve of the use of electric shock training aids, for humans or dogs, but just a vibration would be ok, depending on the student. ;)
Why use the Silent Coach?

.The instructor is enthusiastic about giving the lesson

Yeah... sadistic instructors.

Isk8NYC
08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Oops, I missed that little tribute. "...instructor is enthusiastic..." Huh?
Funny.

We once received a postcard from a chain store, inviting us to check out a new location they opened. It said "come to our new store in () or any of our INconvenient locations." I sent it to Jay Leno because I thought it was so funny.

No, the ankle buzzer device is very different. With the ankle buzzer, the skater has one part on each leg/ankle. When they properly cross their ankles on jumps, the "buzzer" actually plays a sound, such as a cow mooing. They have other sound options, but the cow was the most fun when they first came out. It's positive-, instead of negative-, reinforcement.

No vibration or electric shock with the ankle buzzer and the skater controls its usage, not the coach.

Clarice
08-25-2010, 08:54 PM
If this gadget doesn't actually deliver a shock, it could be used in a positive manner, more like how clicker training works with dogs. I don't know a whole lot about it, but my husband trains dogs and has tried to explain it to me. Evidently the dog trainer uses the clicker to mark the behavior they're trying to shape - you give the command, mark the desired behavior, and then reward (with praise or a treat or whatever). It's supposed to help the dog understand exactly what is being rewarded. Or at least I think that's how it's supposed to work - I'll ask him to go over it with me again. At any rate, I think this buzzer could be used in a similar fashion. I suppose you could actually clicker-train a skater, too, but this would work better from across the ice.

Isk8NYC
08-26-2010, 08:07 AM
At any rate, I think this buzzer could be used in a similar fashion. I suppose you could actually clicker-train a skater, too, but this would work better from across the ice.I didn't think of that - just because the manufacturer says you buzz 'em when they go wrong, that doesn't mean you have to use it that way. You can buzz 'em when they're doing it right or to remind them before they go wrong. Good suggestion.

I have a student who karate-chops her way into camels. It's just a habit that she does without thinking.
This would be a tool to use in breaking that habit somehow. But, it is still a "training" tool, which I'm not sure parents would appreciate.

From what I read, it's like having your phone on vibrate ring while strapped to the skater's limb.
I think the "cow goes moo" reward is more fun than a silent shaking.
(I think that sound box is out of stock. The roar of the crowd would be a cute sound.)

The Ankle Buzzer info is here: http://www.grassrootstochampions.com/retailstore.htm
Usage video: http://www.grassrootstochampions.com/images/Ankle_buzzer_info.wmv
Instructions: http://www.grassrootstochampions.com/images/AnkleBuzzerInstructions.jpg

I think NovaSkater said that they use a dog's squeaky toy instead of this at his rink. Cute and cheap alternative.

icestalker
08-26-2010, 04:09 PM
A cow mooing- that's the least expected sound to hear while on the ice. :lol:

I think the buzzer would probably work well on things I can do but forget to do. Straightening my knee on a spiral, or keeping my right arm behind me in a spin entry, for example. A little buzz would remind me without frustrating me.

Using it for positive reinforcement is a good idea- but I agree a sound rather than a vibration would work better for that.

Clarice
08-26-2010, 05:36 PM
A cow mooing- that's the least expected sound to hear while on the ice. :lol:

Clearly you guys have not skated the Hickory Hoedown! :lol: One of the selections has mooing in it (I think it's really a trombone).